People don't want to spend the money23%23% - 37
Well-rounded maps scare away one-trick ponies15%15% - 24
Night maps scare people13%13% - 22
Other13%13% - 22
Total: 159
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6885|Cologne, Germany

I bought SF when it came out, but I haven't played much. I like Warlord and Ghost Town, but most guys I play with on a regular basis didn't bother to get SF so I am mostly on my own which ain't that much fun.

Good teamplay is hard to find on public servers.

I agree that it focuses more on close quarters infantry combat, and I like that ( being the ground pounder that I am ), but i still play vanilla BF2 more since I believe the maps are just better. Whenever I play SF I get a feeling the maps are kinda unfinished and badly coded. Just a personal impression, of course...
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6709|NT, like Mick Dundee

Ekfud wrote:

Definitely love the SF maps - am generally a dedicated Infantry Whore; these maps shift the balance from vehicles to infantry very well. The nighttime ones especially are about getting squads to move together and protect each other in the darkness. Unfortunately, the major Australian hosts run 5-6 daytime only maps and 1-2 all map rotations. Would love to get a nighttime rotation going. The darkness is your friend and makes for a lot more of those surprise knife kills and wtf? moments.

Add on top of that the freedom of movement for a well rounded squad using ziplines and grappling hooks - and you have a dynamic 3D environment and not a standup tank-slugfest. What I would love to see is a little of the counter-strike style objective play though - the intro for SF showing a US assault on Devil's Perch would be a lot more interesting if the objective WAS to destroy the asylum post.
Tell me if you end up finding more servers. I dont play SF much because my mates don't. I also prefer 24/7 single map servers, which there are none for SF in oz. One of my friends reckons that the grapple hooks and ziplines tend to annoy people too used to vanilla BF2's infantry combat so it could be that. Oh, I hate the Iron Gator... Tend to leave a server when that map loads.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6813|Human Meat Shield
Warlord is the best map out there, especially the firefight in the palace. I see alot of claymore hoes taking advantage, but its always a high score fest. It's hard to stop the Brits from taking the palace to begin with because not only you have to protect that but the Tv Station also. But if you want 24/7 maps I have one in Warlord you might like. (Also 24/7 Great Wall, I've been spamming all night )
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6689
bad lagg

Last edited by blademaster (2006-03-26 20:42:00)

Chowley
+1|6730|Ireland
Not enough fork lifts to be honest :p. If there was more fork lifts it would be more popular. Also the fact that one of them is on the worst map in the expansion doesnt help
BigJoe62
+1|6661
Didn't play SF much at first, but been playing more and more lately.  Love Ghost Town the most, but enjoy the other maps.  Don't mind the night maps, but the NV does mess up your eyes playing on them too long.
Der_Gerch
+0|6691|Germany

PvtchieF73 wrote:

yep nice mod the SF bt that game always lags the shit out of me, with some exception here and there,
what about euroforces...? is that the same as the vanilla one or also just like the SF mod??
Euroforces is basically like vanilla BF2. A lot of tanks, 2 of three maps feature jets and helicopters. Nothing too thrilling, but nice to have three maps with the same old buildings rearranged. But worst of all is the stupid accent of the European Troops. Only the "Great Wall" is an interesting map, no planes, less tanks.

If SF wouldn't lag so much and I could find a free slot on a server with acceptable ping (same in english?), I'd probably playing more often. Nothing better than honest Infantry one on one.
masterHouse
Official Heckler & Koch ambassador
+8|6761|Veenendaal, The Netherlands
What is this for kind of bullshit, the system requirements are the same as the regular BF so that is a crappy reason.....
luckybaer
+10|6818| Going Feral
I don't understand game coding and stuff, but lots of people have issues with SF.  It is too bad, because I really think that SF is a fun bunch of maps.
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6804
Its because people are too scared to lower their graphics to low. Setting your resolution to max and grahpichs to low is alsmost as good as medium but without the bad framerates. And SF is designed as a very different experience. You have to play some of the maps differently. Amittedly some are a bit one-sided, but Bf2 isnt about winning anyway. SF tends to yield slightly lower scores than bF2, which might scare some people off. Anyway, if you play the maps correctly its a brilliant game (well, mostly).

Ghost Town - The ultimate grapple/zipline map - everyone should use G3s, anti-tank rockets, G36Cs and snipers. Running around on the ground doesnt achieve much. Ideally work in pairs or squads with a mixture of Assaults and Spec Ops.

Warlord - Using grapples to sneak up on bases from behind is key here. e.g, the Mosque can be climbed from the abck, the hideout climbed from the SAS side, the TV station reached by the balcony, and the palace reached by the open windows.

Surge and Mass Destruction - These maps are pretty pointless as they're very similar to BF2 maps. they're a lot less open though.

Iron Gator - Still too one sided. The trick is to take out the carrier turret with anti tanks (you can kill it from the dock) and then parachute in via the heli and capture one of the lower bases, then work your way up. Unfortunately this needs a lot of co-ordination to work. Makes a nice change from other maps though, although its ruined by the attack helis.

Night Flight - Hardly any servers run this these days. totally flat ground and a very open map makes it too easy to skirt bases and attack the rear. The MEC have no chance with the SAS uncappable. Dont bother playing.

Devil's Perch - Genius map. No helis - plenty of boats, the chance to zipline your way across the island - the winding path up the mountain. The ingenious gate which forces the attackers to grapple over the top or divert to the church. The abaility to quickly zipline down the cliff or even graplle up it (there is a place). The darkness stops you getting bogged down and lets you keep moving, as people cant see you as well. It makes support guns pretyy uselss, which is nice. Mobility is key here.

Leviathan - Narrow band of land running round the end makes for nice, linear combat. Sort of like Wake Island without the vehcles. Should have been at day though. A nice, straightforward map with little chance to attack the rear.
deject
Got His War On
+37|6818|Golden, CO
My 2 reasons for not playing SF any more:

1) I like the regular BF2 maps a lot.
2) I don't want to ruin my perfect 9-0 SF record.
ShotYourSix
Boldly going nowhere...
+196|6763|Las Vegas
I can't really say why I don't like it but the fact remains that I damn near have to FORCE myself to go there.

I wish I knew why.....
kmk-1605
+5|6656
I play SF% of the time for a few reasons. No jets to spawnkill half your team from start to end, i like the maps better, focused more on individuals and not individual tank whores. Finally, the biggest reason, grapple hook and zip lines. Adds a whole new dynamic to the game when any roof top or wall can be a trap at any time. Often, if i actually drag myself back to vanilla, which i do from time to time, i find myself reaching for grapple or zip and not finding it. So im left sitting there thinking "man, that roof would make a sick spot to roll some enemies from."
DeathCalibre
+0|6787
SF is a godsend for people who have skill as Infantry.

I was struggling in the original BF2 thanks to plane, armour and chopper whores. When SF came out, my game improved bigtime. (Most noteable was my increase in SPM from 1.1 to 2.5 in about a month.)

Ironically, I learnt to fly Helicopters well in SF... that has carried over to Vanilla and I even have the hang of the Jets now too... though I still refuse to be labelled a chopper whore...

I'm a born and bred ground pounder. My skill lies in one on three combat. :p I can fly choppers well too now, so thats made a bonus... plus you'd have to be a dimwit to not be able to use Tanks well...

So, in answer to the thread title, SF isn't as popular IMO because of:

- System Requirements
- Vehicle Whores (I've encountered MANY vehicle whores from Vanilla in SF, and they get their asses handed to them on a platter every time now when it's gun vs gun.)
- Night Maps (I personally LOVE these. Night Flight is my fave! The more people that hate em, the better for me, because I LOVE stealth combat!)

Last edited by DeathCalibre (2006-03-26 20:25:07)

Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6804
Night Flight is pretty bad. No real chance to use the Zipline there, and the ground is so flat you're just a sniper target. Devil's Perch, now that's a good night map. leviahtan has so many lights its practically day...
squeeky1025
+2|6691
Personnaly i belive it is because there is not alot of armor/air power for each map and since there is alot of armor/air whores out there they CANT play infantry cause they SUCK!!!
lobo76
+2|6753
the reason? It reminds me of CS... i am not plane nor tank whore, but if it is just infantry, well, it just reminds me of CS.
rombaft
+0|6768|belgium
since SF is out , I almost only play SF , I think it's better then vanilla bf2 , only the claymores realy starting to bug me .

I think many people are afraid from it, it has a bad name, most people think it has even more bugs then vanilla and won't spent there mony on it
Kontrolfreq
+50|6648|Cambridge UK
Is SF really that much harsher on systems? My pc is underpowered for BF2 as it is (somehow it runs with a NVidia FX 3200...!) I'm getting a new machine in about 4 weeks though, bring on the FX 7800 GTX!

Last edited by Kontrolfreq (2006-04-04 08:04:37)

TheBigXerox
+5|6659|United States of America

Talon wrote:

Its because people are too scared to lower their graphics to low. Setting your resolution to max and grahpichs to low is alsmost as good as medium but without the bad framerates. And SF is designed as a very different experience. You have to play some of the maps differently. Amittedly some are a bit one-sided, but Bf2 isnt about winning anyway. SF tends to yield slightly lower scores than bF2, which might scare some people off. Anyway, if you play the maps correctly its a brilliant game (well, mostly).

Ghost Town - The ultimate grapple/zipline map - everyone should use G3s, anti-tank rockets, G36Cs and snipers. Running around on the ground doesnt achieve much. Ideally work in pairs or squads with a mixture of Assaults and Spec Ops.

Warlord - Using grapples to sneak up on bases from behind is key here. e.g, the Mosque can be climbed from the abck, the hideout climbed from the SAS side, the TV station reached by the balcony, and the palace reached by the open windows.

Surge and Mass Destruction - These maps are pretty pointless as they're very similar to BF2 maps. they're a lot less open though.

Iron Gator - Still too one sided. The trick is to take out the carrier turret with anti tanks (you can kill it from the dock) and then parachute in via the heli and capture one of the lower bases, then work your way up. Unfortunately this needs a lot of co-ordination to work. Makes a nice change from other maps though, although its ruined by the attack helis.

Night Flight - Hardly any servers run this these days. totally flat ground and a very open map makes it too easy to skirt bases and attack the rear. The MEC have no chance with the SAS uncappable. Dont bother playing.

Devil's Perch - Genius map. No helis - plenty of boats, the chance to zipline your way across the island - the winding path up the mountain. The ingenious gate which forces the attackers to grapple over the top or divert to the church. The abaility to quickly zipline down the cliff or even graplle up it (there is a place). The darkness stops you getting bogged down and lets you keep moving, as people cant see you as well. It makes support guns pretyy uselss, which is nice. Mobility is key here.

Leviathan - Narrow band of land running round the end makes for nice, linear combat. Sort of like Wake Island without the vehcles. Should have been at day though. A nice, straightforward map with little chance to attack the rear.

Talon wrote:

Night Flight is pretty bad. No real chance to use the Zipline there, and the ground is so flat you're just a sniper target. Devil's Perch, now that's a good night map. leviahtan has so many lights its practically day...
Talon, you obviously have never taken the time out to figure out just how many opertunities the are for the zipline and grapple hook, which are quite numerous especialy for snipers. I would love to see your total hours playing the SF booster to get a feel for how credible your "all knowing" advice is. I gues that just because these maps are more well rounded, more geographicly diverse and require more skill karkand point whoressuch as your self realy cannot suceede at full on teamplay. So I kindly request you display your BF2 account name for everyone to see your super credible information of Special Forces.

Anyways I have had more 1st place rounds on Nightflight then any other map, (SF, Vanilla or EF) and the weapons and adaptations added to Special Forces for the advaced skill required gameplay are truly impeccable. Its tryly a shame more servers dont loose the karkand whores and join a realy, tactical first person shooter style of play that can only be found in Special Forces.

Bottom Line - It requires skill and those who don't have it just aren't truly experencing the level of fun obtained in Special Forces. And Night Flight Kicks Ass!!!
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6764|California

because people are natually entitled to bitch about something. when SF came out, the scapegoat moved from BF2 to BF2:SF
JahManRed
wank
+646|6672|IRELAND

luckybaer wrote:

I'm really beginning to like maps like Warlord and Ghost Town.  I always liked Devil's Perch and Night Flight, too.  Why isn't SF more popular.  I want to play a lot more, but it is hard to find a good server!!
Cus not everyone has it.

I play with about maybe 10 friends all from my home town. 6 have SF. We all find each other through BFS.COM (TA 4 that) Problem is, if you start of playing SF only a certain amount of ppl cant join you. Now EA have split us into 3 with the money spinning EF.
I love SF, but I would rather play with my buddies and do good squad work. Therefore I only play BF2.
I hate the way EA have done this, it does split the community up instead of uniting it. SF has a few new features in it, but Euro Farce, is just an over glorified map & skins pack. If EA/Dice would do the decent thing and rank the many community maps being produced and allowed us to gain stats playing on custom maps they wouldn't be able to release these, frankly rubbish "expansion packs".
I THINK THE PEOPLE WHO LOVE THESE BOSTER PACKS ARE CONFUSED. THEY ACTUALLY LOVE THE NEW MAPS, THATS WHAT MAKE THEM GREAT, NOT THE FUNNY ACCENTS. SO WHY DO WE HAVE TO PAY WHEN EVERY OTHER MULTI PLAYER GAME GETS FREE MAPS PACKS OR INCURAGES THE COMUNITY TO PRODUCE MAPS AND MODS. EA/DICE HAVE INTRODUCED THE STATS TO MAKE MONEY, PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
STATS ARE EVIL, MAKE THEM STOP!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard