warco3
+1|6776|Orlando, FL
Kilroy, the MEC chopper you were talking about is the Mi-28 Havoc, not the Mig. The Mig is a jet.

Jamer, the F-35B is the Navy version of the Airforce F-22 Raptor. It's the same plane basically. The Navy adopted the vertical takeoff.

As for the Eurofighter, I still haven't tested yet. I'll post my thoughts when I can actually play a EF map.

Last edited by warco3 (2006-03-15 13:28:56)

stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6767|California

how is the new heli, is it good?
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6737|Tampa Bay Florida
The Eurofighter sucks.  Thanks to EA for letting my hopes down.  For some reason the nose goes downward automatically, I am the only one this is happening to?
RhadamanthysSCC
+2|6771|Perth, Western Australia

warco3 wrote:

Jamer, the F-35B is the Navy version of the Airforce F-22 Raptor. It's the same plane basically. The Navy adopted the vertical takeoff.
Wrong. The F-22 is now in service with the USAF (just, came in late last year I believe) whilst the F-35 is still in development and will be for several more years. The F-35 or Joint Strike Fighter is a totally seperate design to the F-22, the US Navy will  not have a VTOL version of the F-35, it will instead have the navalised F-35C (at this stage, though they are considering the F-35B) and currently has no plans to fly a navalised F-22 Raptor at all.

The USMC however does have pland to acquire the VTOL F-35B so the game is 'right' in that sense as the USMC will soon have the F-35B in service and of course, the 'US' team is the Marine Corps...

As for the EuroFighter, I'd agree it's a disappointment, the roll and bank rates are terrible, the only way I could counter the MiG-29 was with vertical yo-yos and scissors maneuvers and with the height cap in BF2 even they can be tricky...

Last edited by RhadamanthysSCC (2006-03-15 21:45:06)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6670|Little Bentcock
CRAP i was looking forward 2 flying the eurofighter, EF download finishes soon i tell me thoughts
skratch-x
+25|6684|NY, USA
The Eurofighter is indeed a steaming pile.  I said this in game and my TEAM MATE proceeded to say "No, you just suck."  Thanks asshole.  Have any of you noticed that if you point the nose slightly down, like to make a fine adjustment when using vulcan, it shoots back up and vice versa?
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6768|Sydney, Australia

RhadamanthysSCC wrote:

Wrong. The F-22 is now in service with the USAF (just, came in late last year I believe) whilst the F-35 is still in development and will be for several more years. The F-35 or Joint Strike Fighter is a totally seperate design to the F-22, the US Navy will  not have a VTOL version of the F-35, it will instead have the navalised F-35C (at this stage, though they are considering the F-35B) and currently has no plans to fly a navalised F-22 Raptor at all.

The USMC however does have pland to acquire the VTOL F-35B so the game is 'right' in that sense as the USMC will soon have the F-35B in service and of course, the 'US' team is the Marine Corps...

As for the EuroFighter, I'd agree it's a disappointment, the roll and bank rates are terrible, the only way I could counter the MiG-29 was with vertical yo-yos and scissors maneuvers and with the height cap in BF2 even they can be tricky...
You are completly correct there.

For anyone that cares, Lockheed are in the process of building the first F-35. But yes, the first combat aircraft are a few years off.

As for the thread topic:
I haven't tried the Eurofighter cause I haven't got the EF. I won't until I can figure this BS about loading it to an account. Both me and my bro play, so just 1 accout is not an option. Neither is buying a second copy (if that would work).

If you guys remember, the F-35 tends to pitch up when flying straight. If the Eurofighter is similar, but down, I doubt it will be hard to get used to.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6670|Little Bentcock

Adams_BJ wrote:

CRAP i was looking forward 2 flying the eurofighter, EF download finishes soon i tell me thoughts
yeh evry1 was was right it os C-R-A-P and it handles like shit, big disappointment.
Viper38
+118|6717
I'd just like to update some comments I made previosuly on this thread. Initially, I found the Eurofighter to be rather slow and sluggish yet after flying a few rounds in it today I don't think its half bad. Whilst it does feel heavy on the controls, more so than either the F-15 or Su-34, and have a tendency to want to slam its nose into the ground every few seconds, its rate of roll and climb are excellent. I repeatedly avoided the attentions of any MiGs by gaining altitude rapidly and then stalking them from a greater height. Give the Eurofighter more of a chance.

On the other hand, a significant improvement in performance would be nice to bring it up to standard with the J-10. (we can but dream)

Last edited by Viper38 (2006-03-16 07:01:55)

blacksheepcannibal
+24|6799

elite wrote:

yeah in game may suck, but in real life, the eurofighter is no doubt the best fighter in the world
I beg your pardon sir, but the best fighter in the world, if you will the "world heavyweight champion" would be the F-15C. Never lost one in combat.

The F-22 is *not* yet in *active* service, i.e. if it hit the fan, we would not be calling on our F-22 squadron (singular), as they are not yet ready for combat. As for the combat effectiveness, well, in practice fights, 1 F-22 vs 5 F-15C's, ATC had to call up the F-15's and tell them the Raptor had a solid lock on them. They didnt even know they were dead. ^^

The JSF, if you have noticed, has but a single engine, the F-22 has two. How anybody could miss that distinction is beyond me. It is indeed going to be used by the AF, the Marines, and the Navy. The Navy version has slightly larger wings for carrier T/O, the Marines variant actually is the only one that gets VTOL. It is supposed to supplant the F-16 in its role, and also we plan on selling it like hotcakes (much the same as the F-16).

The Eurofighter, from my relatively brief experience, can climbs a bit faster, and does seem to have slightly better speed retention then the other aircraft. For the first 15 degrees of turning, it turns like lightening, but then its slow and chubby. I imagine this could make gun runs easier, but it doesnt, as the aircraft tends to bob up and down rather badly. Very sensitive.

Also, I can bomb decently well with fighters (id say about 60-80% accuracy, i hit more often than i dont) but the Eurofighter cant bomb worth shite. My bombs *always* fell short, even when i was trying to overshoot.

Overall, I would say the Eurofighter, at least in BF2, is crap. Gimme the MiG anyday. Hell, give me a Su anyday. Damn. At least

Last edited by blacksheepcannibal (2006-03-16 07:45:38)

alf.ha
+5|6787|Berlin/Germany
it's unbelievable, the eurofighter is a fast and very high maneuvrable airplane, designed to defend the countries against air attacks, and now i flew this barrel with wings.
it is slowlier as a f15/su......... wtf?!?
it should be compareble with j10, but now its nearly useless, thx dice, do u hate europe or whats wrong?????
beowulf.50
+0|6708
At first i thought the euro fighter was junk also. I take it all back, you need to fly it differently. I now can kick some ass with it. I can keep tone on a mig for a long time. The Euro fighter turns on a dime if you know how to fly the plane.

P.S. it is slow and its hard to catch the mig from a distance, only problem i see.

Last edited by beowulf.50 (2006-03-16 13:19:16)

AirborneCz
+0|6693
I never really get why are so many folks bitching about flight realism and characteristics of jets in BF2. Thats utter bullshit. This is all arcade flight model and everything to do with jets and realism is laughable (well in the end same applies to armor and infantry weapons).

Get LOCK ON game, switch to full realism, and report us back if you were able at least ID enemy aircraft w radar or shoot a missile. That game is the only REALISTIC MODERN AIR COMBAT SIM. BF2 never will. Start to live with it.

Last edited by AirborneCz (2006-03-17 04:14:32)

B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6888|Cologne, Germany

seems like I need to get a joystick....
Croak
+11|6852|San Marcos, CA
The real trick with the Typhoon is to use the vertical.  Do that and you stand a chance...for you old fighter buffs, pretend you're in a F4 over Vietnam...you don't try to turn with the MiGs, you out climb, out run and out dive them. 

I ended up with a 23-3 staying in the Typhoon full time on Smokescreen, and a 19-5 on Vagina Quarry, against decent pilots, and most of those kills were enemy jets, with a few bombs and bullets for the AA sites and Tunguskas.

It's all about the yo-yo.

That said, I'd still rather be in a MiG or J-10 or F-18, since the ceiling in the game is so low.

And finally, I wish they had taken the time to model a Tornado GR4 to use instead of a F-15, but I guess that was too much work for just one map.
djmh1986
+0|6665|Gloucestershire
Right just to let you know, at EA/Dice they try to make the vehicles and weapons as life like as possible while at the same time making it easy enough to use that a dummy could play it.  The eurofighter or typhoon as its nicknamed has been in development with the RAF for so many years and they have had loads of problems with it. its not a crap plane , its a good plane if u learn how to fly it. Every vehicle is diffrent you just need to adjust to it.

the more  u play with it the more u will learn how to handle it.
eagleray69
gone, tired of kiddietrashtalk
+15|6693
since i became a little bit of a planewhore during  the last weeks, i have to admit that the eurofighter is by far the worst plane in bf2. its like a battleship with wings, no chance against a mig or even a su34. normally, my first way is towards the airstrip, but when i´m on the euro-side, i head for the tank. sad...

btw: @b.schuss: yes, do get a joystick! flying a jet can be so much fun! after months of frustrating keyboard-flying i finally adapted my old ms sidewinder to the game and got my aerial service ribbon 2 days later, and i was far, far away from this before! you´ll love it.
sumpy
+0|6772
Gilgalad
Renaissance Soldier

"Why should a jet lose lots of altitude making a turn?"

Aerodynamics, lift, drag, that is what causes aircraft to lose height in a turn, unless you apply opposite rudder and a bit more power.
jazboz2k1
+2|6668
the only reson the jets and choppers are hard to fly (well worse anyway) its to do with you sensitivity if you make it more sensitve there fine but remeber to change it back forthe other maps and im my opinion the map are top qul but to many tanks.
Turtle
+7|6804|Boulder, CO
They are dogs. You really have to be a better pilot to actually shoot a mig down in one since the mig makes turns normally just as tight as you would with full thrust on the eurofighter. It seems to be really easy to dodge missiles from jets in the euro however, the aa still hits through flares but that's another complaint thread...
One thing that bugs me is I seem to lag in the jet, almost feels like I'm occasionally losing packets. If I switch teams and go fly the mig it's all good but..  Anyone else seeing this?
Ballistix5
+36|6822|Forster NSW
Im Told (told) That the EuroFighter Typhoon Can run rings around the migs if you know how to use it.

Unfortunatly I dont have the 300 page guide on how to make it fly straight
RhadamanthysSCC
+2|6771|Perth, Western Australia
Actually the secret to the Typhoon seems to be flying slower, that's right, slower. Throttle back to 75-85% and fly around - the aircraft is more maneurable and more importantly the MiG pilots will continually overshoot you allowing you to hit the AB, turn with him and plug him with cannons and missiles. As a bonus the slow speed enables more accurate bombing, the downer of course is that it's easier for ground to air guns and missiles to take you out...

The slow speed also seems to make it more likely for air to air missiles to wander off into the smoke locked onto a burning oil well or something else, though that's a subjective impression based on 2 rounds in a Typhoon where I repeatedly saw missiles whizz past me and blow up oil tanks instead...

Last edited by RhadamanthysSCC (2006-03-17 19:35:47)

Ballistix5
+36|6822|Forster NSW

RhadamanthysSCC wrote:

Actually the secret to the Typhoon seems to be flying slower, that's right, slower. Throttle back to 75-85% and fly around - the aircraft is more maneurable and more importantly the MiG pilots will continually overshoot you allowing you to hit the AB, turn with him and plug him with cannons and missiles. As a bonus the slow speed enables more accurate bombing, the downer of course is that it's easier for ground to air guns and missiles to take you out...

The slow speed also seems to make it more likely for air to air missiles to wander off into the smoke locked onto a burning oil well or something else, though that's a subjective impression based on 2 rounds in a Typhoon where I repeatedly saw missiles whizz past me and blow up oil tanks instead...
Your A Genius
I tried that and it works well, I knew there was a way it could beat the other planes but I wouldnt have guess it was going slow.

Ty for the tip
Masta_Daco
+39|6783|Amsterdam,The Netherlands
any of you guys noticed that the bombs on the typhoon barely kill any tanks cuz i made 3 bomb runs on 1 single tank all of them hit and he kept driving so could any give me anytips?
Lib-Sl@yer
+32|6760|Wherever the F**k i feel like
So this is why i was dominating wit a MIG-29

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard