BVC
+325|6698

Dilbert_X wrote:

Less however many billion paying for dope induced car crashes, can't remember, doesn't each fatal car crash cost the state $1m in total?
Less however many billion paying welfare for people who can no longer hold down a job because they fail to get to work on Monday mornings
Less however much paying for the consequences of however many extra people develop schizonphrenia as a result of smoking dope
Less however many billions of lost GDP because people don't work so hard because 'I'm like chilled and everythings cool, take it easy and stop hassling me man, whats the big panic dude? You need to relax and chill....'
Alcoholics turn up late - if at all - the day after pay day (or dole day...), are susceptible to a plethora of physical and mental diseases, and aren't as productive due to hangovers.  Go figure.

And re: making your own liquor...its legal here.  The cost is 1/3 to 1/2 per bottle compared to the store-bought price.  While its cheaper than buying it from a liquor store, unless you're an enthusiast and/or a student its probably not worth the time you put into it.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6584|SE London

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

just like you can't have a still in your backyard, either.
Can't in the UK either.
You can make wine, beer and cider at home without any sort of licensing. Is there a difference with spirits?

As far as I'm aware the law is the same for spirits - which is that it's fine so long as you're not selling it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6109|eXtreme to the maX
Yes, there is a difference with spirits.
You're not allowed to own a still.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6408|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

Rommel wrote:

Total = $80 Billion Dollars the US Government now has available for something else.
Less however many billion paying for dope induced car crashes, can't remember, doesn't each fatal car crash cost the state $1m in total?
Less however many billion paying welfare for people who can no longer hold down a job because they fail to get to work on Monday mornings
Less however much paying for the consequences of however many extra people develop schizonphrenia as a result of smoking dope
Less however many billions of lost GDP because people don't work so hard because 'I'm like chilled and everythings cool, take it easy and stop hassling me man, whats the big panic dude? You need to relax and chill....'

FEOS wrote:

Can't in the UK either.
Even if you add up all those costs, it's still cheaper than the costs of enforcing a ban and the costs that come with making a substance in high demand a prime criminal market with high profit.

Again, Prohibition pretty much destroys all logical support a ban should have for a relatively harmless substance like pot.

Keeping a ban in place for heroin and cocaine is more logical however.
¦TØP¦ Rommel1l
+8|6305

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Rommel wrote:

Total = $80 Billion Dollars the US Government now has available for something else.

FEOS wrote:

Can't in the UK either.
Even if you add up all those costs, it's still cheaper than the costs of enforcing a ban and the costs that come with making a substance in high demand a prime criminal market with high profit.

Again, Prohibition pretty much destroys all logical support a ban should have for a relatively harmless substance like pot.

I agree. 

And at whoever said it,, smoking marijuana does not cause schizophrania.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6473

¦TØP¦ Rommel1l wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Rommel wrote:

Can't in the UK either.

I agree. 

Shit, you can't even spell the word, I'm not taking your medical opinion over that of the academic studies
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Turquoise
O Canada

Uzique wrote:

¦TØP¦ Rommel1l wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I agree. 

Shit, you can't even spell the word, I'm not taking your medical opinion over that of the academic studies
https://www.conspiracyresearch.org/forums/uploads/1167472357/gallery_1_40_10243.jpg

jord
+2,382|6681|The North, beyond the wall.
People are going to smoke it regardless. Whether they have to buy it illegally off a dickhead dealer in his car or out of a shop. You may as well tax a bit of the sales.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Turquoise wrote:

Why so?
They are both pretty harmless if used correctly in their pure form.
Its the adulterated stuff which screws you up.
Keith Richards has the money to buy pure heroin and has done so for decades, seems to have turned out OK and made a reasonable success of himself.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-01-10 18:37:21)

jord

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise]Keeping a ban in place for heroin and cocaine is more logical however.
Why so?
Keith Richards has the money to buy pure heroin and has done so for decades, seems to have turned out OK and made a reasonable success of himself.
Cocaine is over dramatised, but heroin you can develop an addiction very easily. As a recreation drug user I steer well clear of Heroin and Meth at all costs, it fucks you up worse than you can imagine.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Meth will finish anyone, but plenty of people function fine on heroin so whats the problem?
Just playing devils advocate here.
jord

Dilbert_X wrote:

Meth will finish anyone, but plenty of people function fine on heroin so whats the problem?
Just playing devils advocate here.
The problem lies when they cannot afford their addiction and the means they use to be able to pay for it.

People with the level of chemical addiction Heroin brings will do anything for their next fix.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So only rich people can buy heroin, Ferraris, private jets.
Still don't see why it should be illegal.
Or cut out the middleman and it would be dirt cheap, problem solved.

Pot heads can get pretty ratty when they've been off it too.
jord

Dilbert_X wrote:

So only rich people can buy heroin, Ferraris, private jets.
Still don't see why it should be illegal.
Or cut out the middleman and it would be dirt cheap, problem solved.

Pot heads can get pretty ratty when they've been off it too.
I doubt Heroin will ever be "dirt cheap". People will pay whatever as long as they get their fix, within reason.

As for Pot heads I that is nowhere near the same level. The average cigarette smoker is worse than any pot head is when it comes too not being able to smoke. Many of my mates have given it up or stopped for many months if not years, Pot is hardly addictive in the same way drugs that have a chemical addiction are. The addiction is in the mind, like an alcoholic or chain smoker. They are never chemically reliant on pot. They are just extremely weak minded to the things they enjoy.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Pubic wrote:

Alcoholics turn up late - if at all - the day after pay day (or dole day...), are susceptible to a plethora of physical and mental diseases, and aren't as productive due to hangovers.
Funny, I've only known one alcoholic in my life and he was a highly respected solicitor and champion cyclist.
Going to the pub was always a laugh 'I'll have two double vodkas and a pint of cider, now what about you?'

Jord wrote:

I doubt Heroin will ever be "dirt cheap". People will pay whatever as long as they get their fix, within reason.
If it were sold at cost by the govt it would be dirt cheap.

In my experience pot makes people aggressive and irrational when they are not on it.
According to Police officers I knew the most violent person was usually the drunk toker.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-01-10 19:13:09)

jord
Well being around Pot smokers for going on 4 years now I've never known anyone get aggressive for the sole reason they are not smoking it...

Last edited by jord (2009-01-10 19:18:46)

Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Why so?
I see what you're saying, but we're talking odds here.

You're far more likely to get completely addicted to heroin than pot or alcohol.  However, nicotine supposedly has the same addictive qualities as heroin -- it just doesn't fuck you up anywhere near as much.

The point is...  the legality of a substance should be directly correlated to the legality of other substances with the same addiction levels.  Pot is less addictive than nicotine or alcohol, so it should be legal.

Heroin is a lot more addictive than any of the others, even nicotine, so it should remain illegal.

As you elaborated earlier, it is a matter of calculating the costs of legality vs. the costs of banning it.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5934|Somewhere out in Space
Just thought id bring this up

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg/380px-Rational_scale_to_assess_the_harm_of_drugs_%28mean_physical_harm_and_mean_dependence%29.svg.png
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6765

N00bkilla55404 wrote:

Just thought id bring this up

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … 29.svg.png
where did that graph come from?
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5934|Somewhere out in Space
teh wikipedia, from the lancet, some british medical journal.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So cannabis is level with amphetamines for dependence, and ecstacy for physical harm.
Doesn't sound like the wonder safe addictionless drug everyone says it is.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

So cannabis is level with amphetamines for dependence, and ecstacy for physical harm.
Don't you find it odd then that tobacco and alcohol are legal while pot isn't?  Both of them are listed as much more harmful and addictive than pot?

The point is...  the only way to have a remotely logical set of drug bans is to use the criteria of addiction and harm.  Something less harmful and addictive than what is already legal should be legal itself.

To contradict this principle is ridiculous and unjustifiable.

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-01-11 09:55:18)

¦TØP¦ Rommel1l
+8|6305

Dilbert_X wrote:

That graph is absolutely incorrect.

I don't have the time to find you the graphs/and #'s I have seen (I've seen alot that prove otherwise trust me) but cannabis ranks much lower in the areas of dependence, physical harm, withdrawal, and toxicity level below that of alcohol, nicotine, amphetamine, cocaine, and ecstasy.  Ecstasy/Alcohol ranked the worse for physcial harm, nicotine/heroin ranked the worse for withdrawal, Cocaine had the highest toxicity level.

Marijuana was barely even ranked compared to these drugs.  Ask anyone or do spend very little time researching it and you will see for yourself.

That graph is bs.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Turquoise wrote:

Don't you find it odd then that tobacco and alcohol are legal while pot isn't?  Both of them are listed as much more harmful and addictive than pot?
If they were invented today they would be illegal tomorrow, its that simple.

Rommel wrote:

I don't have the time to find you the graphs/and #'s I have seen
Need some counter info to be useful. Data from the Lancet is useful, your recollection not so much.
¦TØP¦ Rommel1l
+8|6305

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

If they were invented today they would be illegal tomorrow, its that simple.

Rommel wrote:

I don't have the time to find you the graphs/and #'s I have seen
Need some counter info to be useful. Data from the Lancet is useful, your recollection not so much.
Give me a few and Ill round up some info.

Ok the 2 graphs I wanted to show you I am not able to find at the moment but I will post them when I find them.  Here are things to look over.

This 1st link is huge in the amounts of information there is too skim over. 

http://www.scribd.com/doc/126706/Why-Ma … d-be-Legal

2nd (this one's self explanatory)

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lib … phs/07.htm

3rd (deaths relating to drugs, hint,  marijuana = 0 deaths)

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lib … phs/08.htm

4th (another deaths chart)

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lib … phs/06.htm

5th (this link relates to the addictive additives in various drugs)

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lib … phs/28.htm

6th (another interesting graph)

7th (toxicity level of various drugs)

Last edited by ¦TØP¦ Rommel1l (2009-01-11 16:11:06)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard