]V[Stinks_at_this
+2|6850
Since the new patch I'm getting some major ping spikes and Video jumping, where you driving along the screen frezzes then you find your self 30 meters down the road, anyone else getting this or know how to make it stop?
any help would be great.

my system spec
NF7 Motherboard
amd barton 2500+ overclocked to 3200+
1 Gb ram
X850XT PE 256mb AGP
odessaman
+0|6794
Its called Lag and EA hasn't addressed it. Atleast not yet. Its a shame because I was hoping the new Patch would have fixed it but it doesn't appear to be fixed.

odessaman
Pent IV  3.0 GHZ w/ht
1 gig DDR400/3200
Evga 6800GT 128mb
120 Gig HD
Soundblaster 5.1
Double-0-Kills
+1|6858
I've got a Laptop (Inspiron 9100 - w/ 512MB RAM and 128MB Radeon 9700 graphics card) It used to chop (sometimes pretty badly), Dell FINALLY released a new driver for it after like a year specifically stating BF2 improvements and they were right - it was so smooth I almost didn't know what to do - then came 1.03 now it's as choppy as it was, if not worse - ARRGGHHHH!!!

I have lost my smooth playing.

Oh well - stupid Dell
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6844|Grapevine, TX
I just did this Friday, after I read it on a Forum on Fileplanet for BF2.

I couldn't tell you all the details, maybe someone else will explain this better, as I don't know all the tech stuff, but...

in your BF2 file change the .exe file name to BF2***.exe Then the same name for your desktop shortcut if you use one. You don't have to keep BF2, you can name it 100.exe, ZYX.exe, what ever...

It has to do something with DX9/ATI or Nvidia,(which ever you use). It brought up my FPS by at least 12-25fps.

I was very leery of this but it doesn't change anything in the actual game files (Punkbuster is always watching) only your Video card settings. In that  Forum some said that your details like Dynamic shadows would be degraded, but you can compensate that by raising your settings in-game.

** Also, one of the main reasons stated was to reducing lag, I don't know how, but my ping was like 9 on every server I hooked up to.**
Stoned_Smurfz
The Mushroom Man
+1|6862|Australia
Well i fail to see how by changing the file name can change any of these issues?. But then again i cant see how deleting your account and retrieveing it fixes keyboard issues, so EA only knows!!! maybe it could work *shrugs*
thinner44
+1|6824
Yeah I'm confused too.... How does changing a filemname compensate for crappy performance, I mean, it may, but I can't see how.
Since the update, I too have had really bad lag/chops, despite low pings.

Could you eleborate a little more, assuming you've already got the latest drivers, DX drivers and so on, is there something else I'm missing?
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6800|Perth, Western Australia
It compensates because the drivers tie specific settings to specific filenames, and the filenames being present allows the driver to apply a specific setting for that game which might be not very well in sync with your other hardware. So if u change it then it sets the drivers info to default when u open bf2
]V[Stinks_at_this
+2|6850
Doh I'm such and Idiot, I did a clean install and forgot to turn off my Anti Virus, so it was scanning everytime I got in a vehical or pulled out a knife, shut down now and much smoother, thing is it was'nt showing up on my ctrl alt del list.
Thanks for your help guys.
Double-0-Kills
+1|6858
OK - the keyboard issue is actually the fact that once you install the patch, some computers wipe all, ***ALL*** the keybaord and mouse settings in controll.

Just go there and hit restore defaults and then set to pref. again.

BTW - I can't use *** in the file name - windows doesn't allow it.

I think it was a joke or something.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6844|Grapevine, TX

Stoned_Smurfz wrote:

Well i fail to see how by changing the file name can change any of these issues?. But then again i cant see how deleting your account and retrieveing it fixes keyboard issues, so EA only knows!!! maybe it could work *shrugs*
This is where I read about this tweak...

http://forums.filefront.com/showthread. … did=217620
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6844|Grapevine, TX

Double-0-Kills wrote:

OK - the keyboard issue is actually the fact that once you install the patch, some computers wipe all, ***ALL*** the keyboard and mouse settings in control.

Just go there and hit restore defaults and then set to pref. again.

BTW - I can't use *** in the file name - windows doesn't allow it.

I think it was a joke or something.
OK , I didn't explain that as well as I could have, but *** is any alpha character, and it doesn't have to be 3 characters. i used BF2IR.exe ( My initials). I can easily tell my fps went up and my lag time went down to next to nothing. I works for me, try it if you want to; I was just passing along the info.

Carry on Marines. Dismissed
Double-0-Kills
+1|6858
I Figured that out eventually - but it actually doesn't need to be 3 Char. it can be any number of Chars.  it just needs to change the file so that ATI / NVIDIA can't associate it to a certain profile run by the Graphics Card company using higher quality shaders etc... and then it just runs it in "Default" so to speak making it smoother but not as clean looking.

I figured it out.

thanks
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6800|Perth, Western Australia
Thankyou for repeating what my post said double o kills
thinner44
+1|6824
cheers for the info, I'll give it a go
Col-Khadafi
+0|6812|Your Mom's House
- Disable Anti Virus (or exlude BF2 from it)
- Open client port for BF2 on firewall
- Delete all your video cache (my docs/bf2/profile/cache/ delete the shit in there)

I know the nVidia forceware drivers come with that nview controll pannel, and there is a sort of game profile manager in there. I dont recall ever automaticly using those profiles, but if someone wants to compare that profile's performance to the "bf2***.exe" trick, maybe we could determine if these are the same thing.
Lazarus Tag'lim
Have Wrench, Will Travel
+1|6796|Alabama Coast, USA
Yup, I was just looking at that... under Video settings -> settings -> advanced -> GeForce ******, there are application profiles there are lists of programs (and their .exe's) to apply different settings (such as whether or not to use AA, anistrophic, etc.    For most settings, in most games the value is "application-controlled", but not all.  There is an "Image Quality" setting, with a slider, High Performance on one end, High Quality on another.  You can probably do exactly the same as this trick from here (or somewhere similar for ATI) by adjusting the BF2 settings (if available), creating a BF2 profile, or adjusting the global profile.
Double-0-Kills
+1|6858

SharkyMcshark wrote:

Thankyou for repeating what my post said double o kills
Any time sharky -
Col-Khadafi
+0|6812|Your Mom's House

Lazarus Tag'lim wrote:

Yup, I was just looking at that... under Video settings -> settings -> advanced -> GeForce ******, there are application profiles there are lists of programs (and their .exe's) to apply different settings (such as whether or not to use AA, anistrophic, etc.    For most settings, in most games the value is "application-controlled", but not all.  There is an "Image Quality" setting, with a slider, High Performance on one end, High Quality on another.  You can probably do exactly the same as this trick from here (or somewhere similar for ATI) by adjusting the BF2 settings (if available), creating a BF2 profile, or adjusting the global profile.
I always thought you had to switch to those if you wanted the settings to take effect. Mebbe not...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard