banksd1983
APC whore
+20|6665
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/banksd1983/screen000.jpg

this obviously answer a couple posted questions here:
How do I rack up many points in as little time as possible?
How do 30+ kill streaks happen?

answer: APC on Karkand. Full server. I think this one is 35/38 people. (+ 2 reserved slots not taken = 40)

The last few weeks I've been bored with infantry in city maps, and since I can't fly worth a lick, I've tried my hand at armor.

APC > Tank, any day.

Splash damage + a lot quicker turret + manueverability = the win!

I'm amazed at the people who continue to sit still while I use the splash damage to slowly take them out. It's a simple concept really, a moving target is harder to hit than a sitting target.

I have a total of 70 hours in armor, out of 400 total, and I'm never an engineer while in armor for some reason. I'd say half of that time has been within the last month as  i've been seeing what I could do. I've learned quite a few things and even how to save our tank and help them out.

My favorite kill while in armor: Taking out a full health tank over the course of a minute or so. Hit him once on the flyby with the missle and some regular shots, appeared to be taking off for a rear flag, circled back and hit him again with the missle, did this a third time without him getting a shot into me, a couple went at me while flying by me. The third fly by I got hit, but took him out with my missle and went back and healed up.

As for the 40 kills, I didn't even notice it until I thought to myself I haven't been dying much. I know I kept dropping my squad mate SNAPUC off at different flags because sitting still will end your life quickly.

As I've said before, I have the most respect for AT guys who will continuously take a beating and low scores to knock out armor. It was the most fun I had when going for my vet badges so I get it.
PvtchieF73
+15|6709|Netherlands
some of them will say: tank whore...
i'd say... what ever... good job m8!
banksd1983
APC whore
+20|6665
I know there were those guys doing it in planes. But I find this waaaaaay more challenging. AT guys on top of the square and guys constantly trying to get to AT sites really makes this challenging. The trick is to keep moving. I could end up near the top if not there in a tank, but it's so much easier in a APC.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6810|Nårvei

Also think being or having a passenger or two is underestimated in an Apc, nice to know your back is watched, and they rack up driverpoints as engineers, support or medic.

A loaded apc is a fortress on wheels ..... a pair of Apc`s with the right crew is armageddon :-)
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
banksd1983
APC whore
+20|6665
I wasn't fortunate enough to have anyone in my squad as an engineer.

When that screen shot was taken I was on my way to their last flag, the Gatehouse. Which was a death trap I knew. You can't go in there with half their team as AT up higher than you and expect to live.
BF2Craglyeye
+72|6672|Australia
Its about picking your positions, no not spawn raping. but setting up in key areas with lots of traffic flow with supply crates nearby of course, also knowing enemy troop movements according to flags taken aswell.

In the one on one battles on those streets the Tank will own the APC unless you use the hit and hide method.

However because of the less power and spray of machine gun fire, with all the alley ways, they are easily avoided through running.

Also in a one on one battle, with no repair support the US APC will take the MEC one any time.
bingobones
+6|6725|London, UK
well done m8, however a good tanker on the other side and your streak wouldnt of been that big!

nice 1 though
Sa¢ripan
+12|6740|St-Dié/ Lorraine/ France
wow u are 2nd lt and and say that apc is > to tank : lmao

I think u meant apc is better for spawnkilling in karkand, init?

Last edited by Sa¢ripan (2006-03-16 04:12:20)

Carbon14
+0|6627
nice work, aside from the fact that you may be one of those annoying clowns who dont play engy in armour. frustrates me so much trying to team up to do some serious damage with another apc/tank only to find they are getting all the benefits while I take all the damage. if your in armour have a little team spirit and go engy?

anyways nice work! looks like you seriously kicked some ass!
[BB]Mort
+3|6619|Sydney
Pre 1.2 patch I would *always* win in an APC against a tank anytime. Now, I'm sure they have changed the reload times on the APC rockets to make reload take longer or the tank reloads quicker. Maybe there's also a change in the hit points for each.

These days, if I'm in an APC against a tank, even getting the first shot and hit, the tank will be able to get me before the second reload.

Since patch 1.2, if I happen to be in a tank I now never lose to APC's. APC... I get out after the first hit from the tank and hide!

Against infantry though, APC's rule when you are after your Vet combat badges

Last edited by [BB]Mort (2006-03-16 05:34:52)

DTAC
+9|6740
If you're in an APC/Tank you should always be an engineer.
ooPSeH
+0|6648

Carbon14 wrote:

nice work, aside from the fact that you may be one of those annoying clowns who dont play engy in armour. frustrates me so much trying to team up to do some serious damage with another apc/tank only to find they are getting all the benefits while I take all the damage. if your in armour have a little team spirit and go engy?!
Or do what a good squad does and the none engie swap into the damaged APC and let the Engie get repair points for fixing both?
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6827|Australia
i rather tank. from 260h of amour whorage, ill take my tank. the machine gun is all thats needed against troops with the odd shell throw in for my own enjoyment.
[zulu]steviep831
+6|6633|Florida
I'm a bit of an armour whore I admit, but when it comes down to it, I would rather take an APC than a tank. I've gotten to be pretty good. Make sure you get a rocket off first before they have a chance to take cannon shot. I have noticed an increase in reload time for the rockets which is a sad thing, but use your mobility to evade the cannon shot.

I am almost always engineer while in armour, but sometimes I like to go medic if I'm in a city map so that infantry around me can get health or on wide open maps I'll go supply if it looks like a lot of ammo is being put down. Help protect the troops and in the meantime they can get resupplied. It's all about using your environment to make you more productive and stay alive longer.

If I'm online with a friend we'll spawn as engies and go side by side in apcs and cap flags. Fun as heck... APC whoring? Hell yes. Better than footing it around some of these maps.
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6722|Toronto, ON, CAN

bingobones wrote:

well done m8, however a good tanker on the other side and your streak wouldnt of been that big!
I disagree... my 60h in armor is 2/3rds APC. and my K: D ratio in armor is 2.6, so it is safe to say the APC can beat a good tanker IMO.
I just can't beat 2 good tankers at once! LOL (ok, so maybe I can, but it is rare...)

I find the big difference is I will spot the tank, and hold off my missile shot till I know I can get an escape route (if a second tank rolls up, or that badly timed AT trooper after I finished the tank off.) Then place the missile at the tread of the tank. After that it is just clean up (10 shots typically with the cannon).

I agree about playing armor as an Engineer... or at least support your tank as an Engineer. Now that Mines don't destroy friendlies, you can be a passenger in the APC (great if the driver is support BTW), jump out to place strategic mines, repair, etc.

Obviously, in maps where you have taken over the armor assests (on Sharqi for example, both tanks and APC), then I find the best combo is 2 Eng, and one support. It is nearly unstoppable (unless they have both Heli's, then it's even).

I don't understand why people don't use the smoke more though... I use it often for the squid escape method (release the smoke when running in one direction, and pull a hard turn, to attack their blindside). It is the best way to move past known manned TOW's, so you can target them from a different side too.

And it floats! What more do you need!?!

If I get to a point where I have a 4.00 Kill: Death ratio overall in the APC, I'll write a guide for it. For now, I am still learning little tricks to this all purpose killing transport.
bingobones
+6|6725|London, UK

SunTzu wrote:

I disagree... my 60h in armor is 2/3rds APC. and my K: D ratio in armor is 2.6, so it is safe to say the APC can beat a good tanker IMO.
I just can't beat 2 good tankers at once! LOL (ok, so maybe I can, but it is rare...)

I find the big difference is I will spot the tank, and hold off my missile shot till I know I can get an escape route (if a second tank rolls up, or that badly timed AT trooper after I finished the tank off.) Then place the missile at the tread of the tank. After that it is just clean up (10 shots typically with the cannon).
no one in an apc can take out 2 full health tanks... sorry but there is no way..unless the tankers are 4 year olds...
yes an apc can take out 1 tank but my point is that a good apc against a good tanker....the good tanker will 95% win.
[zulu]steviep831
+6|6633|Florida

bingobones wrote:

yes an apc can take out 1 tank but my point is that a good apc against a good tanker....the good tanker will 95% win.
I'd have to disagree. IMHO. It takes two cannon shots from a tank to destroy an APC. A good APC driver can get two rockets and plenty of cannon fire in for a kill. The Chinese APC has a super fast recycle rate too (though probably less damage per round). Most of the time, if I'm healthy, and I encounter a tank, he's pwned. I will say that it's a bit tougher now for the APC as it seems the rocket reload is a little longer with the new patch.
Dr.Battlefield
Got milk?
+150|6752
Backup speed is very important too. Tank can move forward/backward with equal speed which is good. APC moves back very slow, so if you spot a suicide c4 in a car and missed your rocket you're dead. I'd say that APC is more *maneuverable* only in one direction. It's much easier to avoid AT hits driving a tank. Tank > APC. The only way APC can beat a full health tank is to attack from the back with a rocket, thaan shoot. In face to face combat APC will die.
*spell*
LG-MindBullets
+10|6721|Kirkland, WA
For anti-infantry I definitely prefer the APC over tanks. It only takes one direct shot with the APC/LAV to kill a player and it's a much quicker vehicle. It's also easier to deal with ji'had Vodniks in an APC because one missile will take them out, but they can usually survive one tank shot long enough to get in range. My highest kill streak was on Karkand in an APC. I got 62 kills in a row before the round ended. Overall I ended up with 85 kills and 1 death for the round.
noobmurderer
Banned
+1|6624
apc is good cuz its so fast
i can drive right past hotel on karkand and never get hit
all the rockets miss lol
Hydroion
+67|6622|England
people tell me "you a apc whore" and i thank them for acknolodging my superiority...

i am and will always be an armour whore
Sickness
+0|6624|Killingly, CT
A good tanker and/or APC driver will absolutely ruin an opposing team's day - especially on Karkand when the MEC tanker doesn't have a tank to drive because Gatehouse has been prematurely sneaked. Said situation on one of the EA US Official EC servers the other day. Two US tanks and the APC were just rippin' it up. So after my team got creamed the first round, and the said situation happened on the second.. my squad of 4 determined to turn off the lights.

Medic, Support, 2 Anti-Tanks. The scores weren't pretty, but through determination we effectively shut down the armor on the map. After not being able to get ANYWHERE near the fight, the US Spawn tanker simply said over all: "I'm not gonna even bother leaving the spawn". Felt pretty good to actually do something more effecient than running around blasting people's faces off (although that's pretty effective in its own right).

It's a rough job, and I usually don't do it.. but drastic times call for drastic measures. I salute you Anti-Tank kitters, we need you.
Sgt. Sergio Bennet 3rd
+169|6746|Mexico City
No,
Tank is way better than apc, two well placed shells at apc and its gone, apc needs a lot more to take down a tank, like 2 AT guys besides it.
I find splash damage from tank bigger. The splash damage from an apc rocket is almost non-existent, but a tank shell can take down a lot.
Like you, i also had a 40 kill streak, but as a tank whore.
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6722|Toronto, ON, CAN

bingobones wrote:

no one in an apc can take out 2 full health tanks... sorry but there is no way..unless the tankers are 4 year olds...
Head to head, with the Tanks side by side, no I would completely agree with you. As I said, it was rare, but if you can get behind the tail tank, you can eliminate one threat completely before the second has time to react.
(we can have the debate about "good" tankers always knowing their surroundings later)

This tends to work best in servers where there isn't in game VOIP being used (for obvious reasons), and when you are in confined spaces (bridge on Karkand for example). Teamspeak is my friend. More so because not everyone uses it!!!

If they can't get around the wreakage in time, I have been able to get a missile and 10 rounds into tank one, hide behind the wreakage (reloading your missile), hit tank 2 in the treads with the cannon(who at this point is either turning to face you, or turning the turret) until the second missile is ready, and it's game over for both.

I have had the excellent luck, but there are skills that are different to an APC than a tank that make it a better weapon IMHO.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6745

Carbon14 wrote:

nice work, aside from the fact that you may be one of those annoying clowns who dont play engy in armour. frustrates me so much trying to team up to do some serious damage with another apc/tank only to find they are getting all the benefits while I take all the damage. if your in armour have a little team spirit and go engy?

anyways nice work! looks like you seriously kicked some ass!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard