All-wheel drive22%22% - 22
Total: 96
Shadow893
lel
+75|6845|England

GR34 wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

phishman420 wrote:

Note: If you have a 4x4 truck/SUV, you do not have AWD.
sorry am i missing something? I'm sure 4x4 = awd doesn't it? or have i been wrong all my life?
AWD means constant all wheel drive trucks and SUVs have selective for wheel drive, you can choose between 2 and 4 wheel drive so its 4x4 or 4WD no AWD I think?
but on all land rovers they are advertised as 4x4s and they certainly don't have a 2WD option. maybe its an american thing??
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6726
My car is front wheel drive.  My truck, however, is rear.
If the weather is bad, I'll take my car over the truck hands down.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6439|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Shadow893 wrote:

GR34 wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

sorry am i missing something? I'm sure 4x4 = awd doesn't it? or have i been wrong all my life?
AWD means constant all wheel drive trucks and SUVs have selective for wheel drive, you can choose between 2 and 4 wheel drive so its 4x4 or 4WD no AWD I think?
but on all land rovers they are advertised as 4x4s and they certainly don't have a 2WD option. maybe its an american thing??

Wiki wrote:

4WD versus AWD

The term four-wheel drive describes truck-like vehicles that may allow the driver to manually switch (or automatically if fitted) between two-wheel drive mode (if available) for streets and four-wheel drive mode for low traction conditions such as ice, mud, snow, slippery surfaces, or loose gravel.[2]

All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without destroying the drivetrain, although the term may be abused when marketing a vehicle.[3] AWD can be used on dry pavement because it employs a center differential, which allows each tire to rotate at a different speed. ("Full-Time" 4WD can be disengaged and the center differential can be locked, essentially turning it into regular 4WD. On the other hand, AWD cannot be disengaged and the center differential cannot be locked.[4][5]) This eliminates driveline binding, wheel hop, and other driveline issues associated with the use of 4WD on dry pavement. With vehicles with more than four wheels, AWD means all wheels drive the vehicle, to varying degrees of engagement, while 4WD means only four of the wheels drive the vehicle continuously.

Identical drivetrain systems are commonly marketed under different names for upmarket and downmarket branding and, conversely, different drivetrain systems are commonly marketed under the same name for brand uniformity. Audi's quattro, DaimlerChrysler's 4Matic used on Mercedes-Benz products, BMW with the xDrive, and Volkswagen's 4motion, for example, can mean either an automatically-engaging "on-demand" system with a Haldex Traction clutch, or a continuously-operating permanent 4WD system with a Torsen (torque-sensing) differential.
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
VicktorVauhn
+319|6545|Southern California
My car is RWD.

I like RWD more, but its not "better"... and not even nessisarily better handling.
Especially if your talking about cars that are not purpose built race cars...Cars are much much more complex then "This one has the rear wheels powered so it handles better"
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6846
4WD. I have the option between I think FWD and AWD.
FloppY_
­

VicktorVauhn wrote:

My car is RWD.

I like RWD more, but its not "better"... and not even nessisarily better handling.
Especially if your talking about cars that are not purpose built race cars...Cars are much much more complex then "This one has the rear wheels powered so it handles better"
This gentleman speaks the truth...
DaRkAcE
+6|6352
https://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/airforcem299/car.jpg

I drive that^^
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6283|Carnoustie MASSIF

phishman420 wrote:

Mine is FWD, and it sucks. I miss RWD.

Yes, you do.

You idiot.
bad-man
now say you sorry
+34|6001|one windy city
i got all and 4 wheel drive cars,
my fav - even tho i dont drive it every day is my wrangler rubi - awsome in snow, mudd or in anything else
my wife drives AWD jag - and i've tested it in the snow - not much help there with AWD, the rear comes out from under you when punch it
my DD is a 4 x 4 blazer - used and abused in the snow and taking it well
jaymz9350
+54|6730

phishman420 wrote:

Mine is FWD, and it sucks. I miss RWD.

Some SUV's do have AWD instead of 4x4

I have a 4x4 Ranger so I vote RWD
jsnipy
+3,276|6675|...

all 3 cars are FWD
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6671|Montucky

GR34 wrote:

Shadow893 wrote:

phishman420 wrote:

Technically GR34 you're right.

My Truck is obviously 4x4
The Subaru Legacy is AWD
My soon to be eventually running and restored rustbucket Chevelle is RWD.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6259|eXtreme to the maX
AWD - Subaru Forester
Which is very handy for commuting in a city.
We don't get snow here.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-12-31 16:20:51)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+796|6838|United States of America
RWD with 4X4 ability. Jeep FTW
Reciprocity
+721|6734|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Parker wrote:

FrankieSpankie3388 wrote:

usmarine wrote:

why is it better?
The weight is distributed much better which gives the driver better handling in dry conditions.
better handling than what?
As marine said, most FWD car placed the majority of sprung weight directly over the the front axial transect of the car.  This inproves traction on slick surfaces but also generates torque steer and understeer and pushes the center of gravity towards the front of the car.

RWD cars, in general, distribute the weight of the drivetrain (engine, transmisison and differential) move evenly between the front and rear axial transects.  The engine mounts over or behind the front wheels, the transmission mounts behind the engine around the center of the car and the rear differential mounts on or near the rear axial transect.  Even distribution of weight between the front and rear wheels promotes neutral handling by keeping the center of gravity low and near the center of the vehicle.  The downside is oversteer, but generally only in performance oriented cars or in inclement conditions.

It's the same reason loadmasters are used to pack cargo planes, to keep the weight balanced to maintain neutral handling.
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6382|NSW, Australia

Fozzie
Mongoose
That 70's guy
+156|6683|Sydney, in 1978
Rear baby! All 3 of them
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6730|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Winter, Either FWD or AWD, Summer, RWD all the way!
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6360
fwd, next car mid mounted rwd, (mr2) wooo
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5903|شمال
I don't care. As long as it can drive and break.
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
FloppY_
­

Beduin wrote:

all cars break eventually

I believe you mean "brake"
elite.mafia
Banned
+122|6607|USA
front wheel drive in the MP5... no traction in ice or snow, tires will spin for hours
Beduin
Compensation of Reactive Power in the grid
+510|5903|شمال

FloppY_ wrote:

Beduin wrote:

all cars break eventually

I believe you mean "brake"
Thanks
الشعب يريد اسقاط النظام
...show me the schematic
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6885|St. Andrews / Oslo

Both parents have AWD cars. Dunno if dad has 4WD, you tell me (GL420)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6720|NYC / Hamburg

Jenspm wrote:

Both parents have AWD cars. Dunno if dad has 4WD, you tell me (GL420)
I'm pretty sure the GL uses 4matic which is a AWD system
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard