henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6348|Belfast

DrunkFace wrote:

henno13 wrote:

i just used UCLA as an example
my sis was always saying that she wanted to go to UCLA and it just popped into my mind

justice wrote:

Posters above are making it seem way harder then it really is, and I did exactly the same thing you're looking to do.

First of all not ALL uni's there require SAT's...especially in California, the majority don't require them....and there are others, Chicago for example (which came 9th in the uni rankings for America this year)

And they love international applicants, if you really want to do it, you can do it

But....be prepared to pay shit loads of money.....I mean shit loadssssssssss.
cheers mate
did you get in?

i am (kind of) ready to spend shit load of money
i am not rich
i mean i dont live in a mansion or anything but i have had a privledged upbringing like holidays evry year in which not many people get from my school
By shit loads of money... they mean:
15k a semester just on course fees.
$500 on text books and other shit.
More on accommodation and food.

I'd be willing to conservatively price it at $50,000 a year minimum, and maybe as much as 80 or 100k per year.
*winces*
motherdear
+25|6651|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)

henno13 wrote:

Now coming to think of it, my history teacher told our class a story once of a guy who left for america to study
he apparently can back to NI and the school in a USMC dress uniform....
funny thing, that's what i'm trying do at the moment.
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6596|England
I know people who have done it. You don't need SATs, just equivalents.

There are some US universites that LOVE international students, and you will qualify for a scholarship just by being international. Do note you will need to find other sources of finance, I'm pretty sure some UK organisations will give you money to study abroad - look into that.

Do also note that you will not be able to apply for a UK student loan to study abroad, you will need to look into other sources of finance and probably a lot will come out of your pocket.

Other than that, go for it. Getting into US universities will be a joke compared to Oxbridge.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

rh27 wrote:

I know people who have done it. You don't need SATs, just equivalents.

There are some US universites that LOVE international students, and you will qualify for a scholarship just by being international. Do note you will need to find other sources of finance, I'm pretty sure some UK organisations will give you money to study abroad - look into that.

Do also note that you will not be able to apply for a UK student loan to study abroad, you will need to look into other sources of finance and probably a lot will come out of your pocket.

Other than that, go for it. Getting into US universities will be a joke compared to Oxbridge.
They will only give you money if they know they will get something out of it in the end. I.e - An engineer so they can recruit you and ask you to come back. Even then, they wont be too keen on the fact that you are going to study in a different country.
SealXo
+309|6535
UCLAS average GPA is 4.2

San Diego State is now rejecting kids with 3.7's... for a fucking state school with 30k kids in it.

Thats why im doing as many sports and a shitload of com service and clubs so i can get in to something halfway decent.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6570|USA
anybody telling you that you can't do it is wrong. if you've got good grades and good admissions essays and the money you're golden. you don't need SATs, although they're strongly advised, i have a feeling it won't matter too much.

just a point though, if you're here on a visa you're going to have to behave. and that means no booze, lest you get caught and deported.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6756|Scotland

Ender2309 wrote:

anybody telling you that you can't do it is wrong. if you've got good grades and good admissions essays and the money you're golden. you don't need SATs, although they're strongly advised, i have a feeling it won't matter too much.

just a point though, if you're here on a visa you're going to have to behave. and that means no booze, lest you get caught and deported.
True, but he hasn't even sat his important exams. So it's all speculation.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6765|Cambridge (UK)

JoshP wrote:

Spoiler (highlight to read):
i'm just pissed that they rejected the phyiscs pro that is me, imperial college london here i come then again, they rejected almost all my clever friends too They probably just don't want anybody from inbred lincolnshire
They send inbreds to Cambridge (no one notices 'em, here in the Fens).
VicktorVauhn
+319|6391|Southern California
I go to Cal Poly Pomona, its a CSU (California state university) and we have a TON of international students.
I dunno if acceptance rates have changed with the economy but for at least the past few years it seems to have been easy enough.
I didn't need any SAT, or ACT or anything, but that may have been because I had a BUNCH of other units from another (junior) college.

From the ones I have talked to it is a bit expensive though.

But take anything you hear here with a grain of salt and talk to more official people about it.
Smithereener
+138|6315|California
I know we have an "International House" at my school (UCSD) where all the international students stay, but I haven't really talked to any of them about how easy it is/how expensive it is for them to come here.

If you really do feel like you want to go to a school here in the states somewhere, why don't you try calling the offices of the schools you want to try to attend. Although they might obviously put a spin on what they say ("Our school is so excellent, we shit excellence!"), but I'd be willing to bet you'd get a bit better information than we can provide here. Then you'd know if you actually need SATs or ACTs for the school you want to attend, etc. etc.
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6348|Belfast

SealXo wrote:

UCLAS average GPA is 4.2

San Diego State is now rejecting kids with 3.7's... for a fucking state school with 30k kids in it.

Thats why im doing as many sports and a shitload of com service and clubs so i can get in to something halfway decent.

henno13 wrote:

i just used UCLA as an example
my sis was always saying that she wanted to go to UCLA and it just popped into my mind
thanks for the karma anyway

rh27 wrote:

and you will qualify for a scholarship just by being international.

Last edited by henno13 (2008-12-23 14:40:20)

Tripulaci0n
+14|6156
The two colleges i've attended (NY state schools) Stony Brook University and Baruch College have a lot of international students .... Stony Brook (www.stonybrook.edu) is good for science and math, baruch (www.baruch.cuny.edu) is good for business and psychology (maybe something else)

Both are pretty cheap, at least for NY residents
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT

I'd be willing to conservatively price it at $50,000 a year minimum, and maybe as much as 80 or 100k per year.
Assuming they don't charge internationals more, $50,000 is the max you will end up paying a year, and that is only at private schools. UCLA, to use your example, is $40,000 for kids who live outside of California. SUNY Binghamton is ~$25,000, which I think is the cheapest public school education available, that is halfway decent.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-12-23 22:44:29)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

I paid around 20K a year for UCLA, and that included rent and other bullshit like books.  Great school, great time.

You don't need SATs, you don't need ACTS.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
Why on Earth would you want to study in America if you're elligible to get into any of the top25 British Universities. Not worth the huge expenditure unless you're looking at Ivy League.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
woodrot
I Need A Dump
+25|6730|sunderland england
what ever happens good look henno me old m8y
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6671|UK
Why don't you just go to Queen's Belfast?

It's an outstanding institution and at a fraction of the cost.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

m3thod wrote:

Why don't you just go to Queen's Belfast?

It's an outstanding institution and at a fraction of the cost.
S'all about University College Dublin if you're set on staying in Ireland. But you have all of the mainland-UK Universities open to you as well for regular student fees and pricing - same currency, same loan arrangements, same application process etc. In my opinion if you can merit a place in any of the top25 Unis (i.e. golden triangle, classics/redbricks, Russell Group, University of London etc.) then it's probably more worth your buck to go to those. I'm not saying American Uni's are not up to standard with the aforementioned British unis, often the opposite in the case of places like Chicago and Harvard/Yale... but you've gotta sum up the proportion of the money you're going to be paying out of your arse for the next 10 years.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-12-26 14:09:18)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6492|Connecticut

Uzique wrote:

but you've gotta sum up the proportion of the money you're going to be paying out of your arse for the next 10 years.
I got my Bachelors from UNC while I was in the Marines. For free. Meez a dumb solja though.
Malloy must go
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

but you've gotta sum up the proportion of the money you're going to be paying out of your arse for the next 10 years.
I got my Bachelors from UNC while I was in the Marines. For free. Meez a dumb solja though.
I'm talking specifically about the cost-implications of being an international foreign student, with nothing to your name but British education qualifications. Everyone knows Universities love snapping up foreign students for the exact reason that they pay a shitload more and pump way more cash into the institution... I'm just saying it's not worth getting into that sort of debt if you're capable of attending a very respectable British university.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6681|Disaster Free Zone

nukchebi0 wrote:

Assuming they don't charge internationals more, $50,000 is the max you will end up paying a year, and that is only at private schools. UCLA, to use your example, is $40,000 for kids who live outside of California. SUNY Binghamton is ~$25,000, which I think is the cheapest public school education available, that is halfway decent.
Well I don't know exactly how the US system works but here there are 3 basic payment systems.

HECS:
~$700 per subject (8 subjects a year).
- $5600 per year
- A government loan, interest set to the CPI. Also don't have to start paying it back until you make >$35k a year. OR
- Payed upfront with a 20% discount.

Local Full paying:
~ $2400 per subject.
- $19200 per year.
- Must be payed up front. No discounts.

International Student:
~ $3000 per subject.
- $24000 per year.
- Must be payed up front. No discounts.

Note: These a base prices, if you do something like medicine it can as much as double.

And thats just for course fees. On top of that you need to find:
Accommodation - ~$400 per week * 40 weeks = $16000 per year
Text books - anything from $80 - $200 per subject - ~$1200 per year
Food
Other 'stuff'
And due to being in another country you probably wont have the correct visa to be able to get a job so will need all that money upfront or coming from someone else.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I paid around 20K a year for UCLA, and that included rent and other bullshit like books.  Great school, great time.

You don't need SATs, you don't need ACTS.
I don't think international students get the benefit of in-state tuition.

Drunkface, go here to get a sense of the costs and how they are calculated. However, be aware that the fees category, which encompasses tuition, will rise by $20,000 for someone who is not a California resident.

For a private school, look here as an example.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-12-26 19:28:25)

jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
Why don't you think about it when it comes down to it. Then maybe over time your hopes and dreams will lower and you will settle for less than you are capable of. Come sit with me at the mediocrity table Henno.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard