jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.
In the 3 hours or longer it takes to read it I coulda downloaded GTA4...
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6436

Miggle wrote:

I read about 15 minutes of it then got bored.

The way I see it is companies move to consoles because Sony and Microsoft pay them to. Piracy is just their excuse for their shitty games failing and for them to sell out.

Not to mention consoles aren't piracy free.
If you seriously think console piracy is even in the same league as PC piracy then holy lol.

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Has a single person read the whole article?
Yo. Me. I was gay enough to sit there and read the entire article. I'm actually serious.

Last edited by Fat_Swinub (2008-12-15 12:20:17)

Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5966|London, England

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Piracy is bad
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Ultimatrox
+38|6234|Netherlands

Mutantsteak wrote:

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Piracy is bad mmkay
fixed
Rosse_modest
+76|6777|Antwerp, Flanders

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Sorry, no, I don't feel like wasting a couple of minutes of my life reading an article because I was taught by my parents ages ago that stealing is wrong. And illegal.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6157|Vancouver | Canada

Noobeater wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

In VALVe we trust.

I've pirated games.
..But to be honest, I've never bothered playing those again, even if I have them burned on DVD. The only games I play repeatedly are the ones I bought.

Or, I kinda use pirated games as demos.
At first I downloaded Company of Heroes, but I own it legitimately now. (For example. Same with BF2.)

So basically, if I pirate a game that I end up liking, I'll buy it.
If I don't like it, I'll stop playing it and won't buy it. They don't deserve my money if I don't like the game.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion. If I really do want a game I'll buy it, if it looks ok but a bit meh then I'll download it. I wouldn't buy any of the games I download at any rate.  Some games are really worth buying like fallout 3 and left 4 dead, so I do. Other games like far cry 2 or dead space I wouldn't buy as they look a bit dull so I torrent them. After one month I've played far cry 2, 3 times and dead space I've not even installed. On the other hand I've completed fallout 3 several times and I play left 4 dead each night.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that.

Some games I instantly buy without trying a pirated version.

Red Alert 3, and in the future, Diablo 3 for example.

jord wrote:

It takes you 3 hours to download 13 GB?

...Can I have your connection?
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
+394|6488|Ham Lake, MN (Fucking Cold)

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Actually I don't want to spend HOURS reading something that will justify them(game industry) to charge more and more money every year for their game. I honestly wait the the opinion oh these and other forums to wait and buy a game now. I have too many game that I have bought and they are installed for 1 or 2 days then they are never played again, BF2142 is the perfect example.

And no I do not pirate games, but I do with other software, especially if it's made by Microsoft.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
Miggle in regards to console piracy.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_4.html

Go halfway down.

Fallout 3 (released Oct. 30 2008):

PC Version:

Fallout 3-RELOADED--cgaurav™-- - 75,152
Fallout 3 Full-Rip Skullptura - 72,987
Fallout 3-RELOADED.[sitenameremoved.org] - 48,926
Fallout 3 [PC] - 45,130
Fallout.3-RELOADED.[sitenameremoved.com] - 12,226
Fallout 3-RELOADED [Full ISO/RPG/2008] - 12,110
FALLOUT 3-TRiViUM - 5,032

I counted almost 90 individual torrents for the full PC version of Fallout 3. The small sample listed above adds up to 271,563 downloads in a one month period.

XBox 360 Version:

Fallout 3 USA XBOX360-RUiNS - 6,649
Fallout 3 READNFO XBOX360-Seed4ME - 5,612
Fallout 3 PAL XBOX360-GLoBAL - 4,220
Fallout 3 GERMAN-0x0007 - 2,336
Fallout 3 USA PROPER RETAIL XBOX360-x360inT - 1,171

I counted around 30 individual torrents for the XBox 360 version of Fallout 3. The sample listed above adds up to 19,988 downloads in a one month period.
That is one example of several on that page. God I didn't think i'd have to sit here and point out specific parts of the article when people make idiotic statements. I said to read the damn article remember.
prototype
+52|6312
I buy the games that require authen codes for online/multiplayer play or ranking systems that require an account like BF2/BF2142 ect

I torrent games that are single player only.

The only games that I truly enjoy are the ones that have multiplayer/ online mode.

Somthing about playing against bots or only having single player mode gets old very fast and I would never pay for a game like that.
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Go halfway down.

PC Version:

Fallout 3 [PC] - 45,130

I counted almost 90 individual torrents for the full PC version of Fallout 3. The small sample listed above adds up to 271,563 downloads in a one month period.

XBox 360 Version:

I counted around 30 individual torrents for the XBox 360 version of Fallout 3. The sample listed above adds up to 19,988 downloads in a one month period.
That is one example of several on that page. God I didn't think i'd have to sit here and point out specific parts of the article when people make idiotic statements. I said to read the damn article remember.
You know I can make charts and numbers up also, they figure in an amount of loss for every game and they know people will make copies of their game.

The main thing for me not buying games now is the price, why am I going to go out and spend $60 on Fallout 3 when I have so much more to do in my life. The cost of games these days have driven the casual gamer away, that is why their revenue stream is drying up. Let them go to only counsel games, the next company is waiting to take their place with the game of the year.

Oh and I will never buy a xbox360 or a PS3.

Last edited by SgtHeihn (2008-12-15 12:47:13)

jord
+2,382|6679|The North, beyond the wall.

DefCon-17 wrote:

Noobeater wrote:

DefCon-17 wrote:

In VALVe we trust.

I've pirated games.
..But to be honest, I've never bothered playing those again, even if I have them burned on DVD. The only games I play repeatedly are the ones I bought.

Or, I kinda use pirated games as demos.
At first I downloaded Company of Heroes, but I own it legitimately now. (For example. Same with BF2.)

So basically, if I pirate a game that I end up liking, I'll buy it.
If I don't like it, I'll stop playing it and won't buy it. They don't deserve my money if I don't like the game.
I'm pretty much of the same opinion. If I really do want a game I'll buy it, if it looks ok but a bit meh then I'll download it. I wouldn't buy any of the games I download at any rate.  Some games are really worth buying like fallout 3 and left 4 dead, so I do. Other games like far cry 2 or dead space I wouldn't buy as they look a bit dull so I torrent them. After one month I've played far cry 2, 3 times and dead space I've not even installed. On the other hand I've completed fallout 3 several times and I play left 4 dead each night.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that.

Some games I instantly buy without trying a pirated version.

Red Alert 3, and in the future, Diablo 3 for example.

jord wrote:

It takes you 3 hours to download 13 GB?

...Can I have your connection?
Now but I'm a slow reader. Especially when it comes to something that will not change my mind one bit.

Money>morals. I have food and travel to pay for...
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6436
Spidery_Yoda remember you were really annoyed when you found out Warhead had SecuROM and told me not to buy it but I did anyway and so did you?
SgtHeihn
Should have ducked
Oh and lets not forget charging $50 for a game then charging a monthly fee to play it online and to get the best content. WTF is that shit? Those fucks are just as bad as the Big3 in the auto world.
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6271
Yep. I got swept up in the SecuROM rage. I also said not to pirate either it if i remember correctly.

Glad I did buy it too.

SgtHeihn wrote:

Oh and lets not forget charging $50 for a game then charging a monthly fee to play it online and to get the best content. WTF is that shit? Those fucks are just as bad as the Big3 in the auto world.
MMO's? I know. I can't believe anybody pays those subsciptions.

Last edited by Spidery_Yoda (2008-12-15 13:00:42)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

The industry is driven by nothing but dollar signs. And I'll prove it.

What happens when you get a good game? Let's use Bf2 as an example. Popular. Draws you in. Large demand for the game because it focuses on online game play which equals a lot of worth for your $50US. Company makes some money. That being EA.

Do they improve on the game and release another similar? No. Of course not. They release an expansion pack. And charge you money for it. Then they release another expansion pack. And charge you money for it. Then they release another expansion pack. And charge you money for it.

Special Forces. Armoured Fury. Euro Force.

What happens to a console game that is popular? Halo being the obvious choice. You get a series of games Halo 1, 2 and 3. The consoles best bet to make money is to kick out a series as quickly as possible. Take Guitar Hero as a great example of this.

You no longer see a game company focus on anything new. Because it's risky. They want to focus on what is proven to be successful and forget making something unique. How many games has Mario been in? Or Link? Donkey Kong? Console games put the same characters on a conveyor belt with different packaging. If it's a PC game you'll likely see a series of expansions to keep you paying, or an online subscription.

When you are given a unique game, like Spore, then it becomes worth buying without the download because suddenly everyone is talking about how unique and exciting the game is well before it's close to release date. But then what happens? EA has announced at least 2 expansion packs for Spore. Again, that you have to pay for. They don't call them patches any more. Because patches would be free.

The games industry doesn't see us as customers any more, just dollar signs. They could release a game across all three major platforms if they wanted to, but Sony and Microsoft will pay the developers to keep it an exclusive to that console. The big companies pay the developers to limit the customers buying power.

I'm expected to own a ps3 and an xbox and a wii if I'm to have any chance of sampling most of the games available. It just waters the market down though. You don't have a game competing with the game industry rivals. You have a game competing with it's own platform rivals and as a result it doesn't need to stand out any more.

If that's the way the industry treats us, and continues to treat us, you'll always have piracy. They see us as dollar signs, so why should we look at their games as anything other than in the same terms? Dollar signs.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

Spidery_Yoda wrote:

Go halfway down.

PC Version:

Fallout 3 [PC] - 45,130

XBox 360 Version:

No shit console piracy isn't as big. I never said it was, I just said it exists.

Consoles get pirated versions sooner usually though, I remember FC2 got leaked for 360 like 2 months before PC.

Not to mention torrents aren't the only way of getting pirated games. Which that article seems to think is true...

And sorry, but I don't have 3 hours to read an article which tells me lots of shit I already know. Piracy is wrong, yes, but I don't think it's killing PC gaming, Nobody is backing PCs like Microsoft and Sony back their consoles. The industry is all about making money, and if a company will pay you for console exclusivity, you take it, and blame piracy so people don't think you're douchebag sellouts.

Which you are.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6576|London

TheAussieReaper wrote:

The industry is driven by nothing but dollar signs. And I'll prove it.

What happens when you get a good game? Let's use Bf2 as an example. Popular. Draws you in. Large demand for the game because it focuses on online game play which equals a lot of worth for your $50US. Company makes some money. That being EA.

Do they improve on the game and release another similar? No. Of course not. They release an expansion pack. And charge you money for it. Then they release another expansion pack. And charge you money for it. Then they release another expansion pack. And charge you money for it.

Special Forces. Armoured Fury. Euro Force.

What happens to a console game that is popular? Halo being the obvious choice. You get a series of games Halo 1, 2 and 3. The consoles best bet to make money is to kick out a series as quickly as possible. Take Guitar Hero as a great example of this.

You no longer see a game company focus on anything new. Because it's risky. They want to focus on what is proven to be successful and forget making something unique. How many games has Mario been in? Or Link? Donkey Kong? Console games put the same characters on a conveyor belt with different packaging. If it's a PC game you'll likely see a series of expansions to keep you paying, or an online subscription.

When you are given a unique game, like Spore, then it becomes worth buying without the download because suddenly everyone is talking about how unique and exciting the game is well before it's close to release date. But then what happens? EA has announced at least 2 expansion packs for Spore. Again, that you have to pay for. They don't call them patches any more. Because patches would be free.

The games industry doesn't see us as customers any more, just dollar signs. They could release a game across all three major platforms if they wanted to, but Sony and Microsoft will pay the developers to keep it an exclusive to that console. The big companies pay the developers to limit the customers buying power.

I'm expected to own a ps3 and an xbox and a wii if I'm to have any chance of sampling most of the games available. It just waters the market down though. You don't have a game competing with the game industry rivals. You have a game competing with it's own platform rivals and as a result it doesn't need to stand out any more.

If that's the way the industry treats us, and continues to treat us, you'll always have piracy. They see us as dollar signs, so why should we look at their games as anything other than in the same terms? Dollar signs.
What else could the companies ever see the consumers as but dollar signs? They don't make games for shits and giggles. The only motivation to make a game good is the money that they can make off of it. The idea in the OP is that piracy removes the incentive to work (money) because like you say they are only in it to milk us of our cash. Knowing this then pirating is willingly killing the industry. The idea that a gamer would pay for a product because he feels that the game developers loves and cares for him is silly.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6578|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
The way i do it.

Pirate game, play it a little, like = Buy. Dont Like = Delete.

When i love a game i love to have my hardcopy with the booklets and all the stuff that come in the case.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Aries_37 wrote:

What else could the companies ever see the consumers as but dollar signs? They don't make games for shits and giggles. The only motivation to make a game good is the money that they can make off of it. The idea in the OP is that piracy removes the incentive to work (money) because like you say they are only in it to milk us of our cash. Knowing this then pirating is willingly killing the industry. The idea that a gamer would pay for a product because he feels that the game developers loves and cares for him is silly.
Have you ever heard of customer value? The whole reason companies invest large amounts of money into customer services? You never piss off your customer, that's the one rule every other company follows.

The companies should see as, as customers.

Freezer said he bought Quantum of Solace recently. Took him a few hours of game play to get 75% completed. He was really surprised how short the game was.

Does this sound like a game that's been designed to give as much enjoyment to a customer as possible, or just to quickly spew out a James Bond related title to tie in with the movie release?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6676|Canberra, AUS
That's rather weak IMO.

How to combat piracy - make multiplayer sides of the game very, very, very good. Because if you pirate, you're locked out of MP (and what sadfuck gamer plays games purely by themselves?)
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Aries_37 wrote:

Have you ever heard of customer value? The whole reason companies invest large amounts of money into customer services? You never piss off your customer, that's the one rule every other company follows.

The companies should see as, as customers.

Freezer said he bought Quantum of Solace recently. Took him a few hours of game play to get 75% completed. He was really surprised how short the game was.

Does this sound like a game that's been designed to give as much enjoyment to a customer as possible, or just to quickly spew out a James Bond related title to tie in with the movie release?
Freezer = Miggle?
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6395|The Gem Saloon
im not sure too many people grasp the concept of business in this thread...
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6154|what

Miggle wrote:

Freezer = Miggle?
lol I saw the avatar yesterday and assumed it was freezers. Sorry.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6743|FUCK UBISOFT

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Miggle wrote:

Freezer = Miggle?
lol I saw the avatar yesterday and assumed it was freezers. Sorry.
lol, but yeah, Quantum of Solace was short and shit tbh.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6469

Miggle wrote:

I read about 15 minutes of it then got bored.

The way I see it is companies move to consoles because Sony and Microsoft pay them to. Piracy is just their excuse for their shitty games failing and for them to sell out.

Not to mention consoles aren't piracy free.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard