NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6346|Atlanta, Georgia

uevjHEYFFQ wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … linic.html

article wrote:

Retired university professor Craig, 59, who suffered from motor neurone disease (MND), was filmed as he passed away comforted by his wife at a controversial Swiss euthanasia clinic.

The assisted suicide - organised by Swiss group Dignitas - will become the first ever to be shown on British television tomorrow night. But the decision to allow the documentary to be broadcast was yesterday slammed by TV watchdogs, anti-euthanasia and pro-life campaigners alike.

Father-of-two Craig took the decision to end his life after motor neurone disease began to paralyse his ailing body and he was faced a drawn-out, agonising death.

The moving documentary shows Craig and Mary, his wife of 37 years, talking lucidly about the reasons behind his decision.
I'd like to hear any Brits thoughts on this. Media went too far to putting this on television?
Also does anyone have the right to end their own lives? Why or why not?

uevjHEYFFQ wrote:

Also since barely anyone ever comes here and I can't post at bf2s can someone post this at the DST section of bf2s for me?

Last edited by NeXuS (2008-12-09 14:28:00)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6572|NYC / Hamburg

Go Switzerland!
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
jord
+2,382|6683|The North, beyond the wall.
How can you possibly think you have the right to be Pro life for a grown adult that wants to end HIS life?

Some people are fucking power hungry cunts.
Schwarzelungen
drunklenglungen
+133|6301|Bloomington Indiana

jord wrote:

How can you possibly think you have the right to be Pro life for a grown adult that wants to end HIS life?
but god didnt want him to die then...he wanted it to be long and painful

this man and those helping him did nothing more than play god.

/sarcasm
jord
Right I'm bored of looking, when and what channel is this on please?
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6768|d

jord wrote:

Right I'm bored of looking, when and what channel is this on please?
http://sky1.sky.com/ben-diary-of-a-heroin-addict-2
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6670|NT, like Mick Dundee

I knew a man who had motor neuron disease, one of my father's old business partners. My father's current solicitor also has it.

The business partner died alone, trapped in his bed. At that point he could do very little. Eating unassisted was almost impossible for him, he didn't have the strength or control to turn the pages in book or magazine for any long periods of time. He could only speak in a raspy whisper. I went to his funeral two years ago. RIP Noel.

The solicitor only has a very early stage, I'm not even sure its MND but it's starting the basically the same way that the business partners did with the fucked up hand/hands.

People with MND should have the ability to end their own life if they want, before they are unable to do so.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6505|so randum
He was past 18, twas his call.

Fuck religion.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6384|MN

FatherTed wrote:

He was past 18, twas his call.

Fuck religion.
How is religion related to this?

A person, in my mind, has the right to end their own life in situations like this.  I do not believe in letting someone suffer.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Flecco
iPod is broken.

I disagree Ted. Not everybody should be allowed to take their own life. Only those terminally ill.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6399|The Gem Saloon

Flecco wrote:

I disagree Ted. Not everybody should be allowed to take their own life. Only those terminally ill.
and who are you to dictate that decision?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475

Flecco wrote:

Anyone should be able to take their own life, fuck popular morality/ethics and religious indoctrination. We're biodegradable waste material, and if someone doesn't want to wait around for their expiry date, then let them free up the oxygen and resources for everyone else.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6689|United States of America
Lulz, religion is already getting blamed and it wasn't even a part of the discussion. Sure some people may make that argument that all life is sacred and so on....but nobody did here .
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475

DesertFox- wrote:

Lulz, religion is already getting blamed and it wasn't even a part of the discussion. Sure some people may make that argument that all life is sacred and so on....but nobody did here .
I think the point that people are getting at is that the morality and ethics behind the preservation of life stems from religious principles.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5706|College Park, MD

Flecco wrote:

How are you gonna enforce anti-suicide legislation though? Kinda hard to try someone for suicide when they're dead.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
jord

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

How are you gonna enforce anti-suicide legislation though? Kinda hard to try someone for suicide when they're dead.
Some people need assistance with suicide as they can't do it themselves. Those assisting, be it a wife, mother, son, can get up to 14 years in prison for assisted suicide. That's the debate here, not whether or not you got to tha hellz
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6494|Gogledd Cymru

Flecco wrote:

I hope that's sarcasm.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6505|so randum

Uzique wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

I think the point that people are getting at is that the morality and ethics behind the preservation of life stems from religious principles.
Ja.

The whole stigma about suicide is purely religious anyway

god giveth, and he taketh away etc
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6505|so randum
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
-MetaL*
Sup guies
+157|5639|Southern California
I remember about 10 years ago Fox 11 showed a public electric chair execution on television but I never watched it nor did I think it was real because the commercials made it look like a primetime drama.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6554|UK

FatherTed wrote:

Uzique wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Ja.

The whole stigma about suicide is purely religious anyway

god giveth, and he taketh away etc
It's not necessarily the case.  From a secular position, you may be concerned about the scope for abuse, in that, patients being pressured, or, even forced into taking a decision they may not of otherwise took.  On a personal level for what it's worth that is where my problem with it rises.

There isn't anything religious about that objection, anyone could make that argument.

Martyn
0akleaves
+183|6618|Newcastle UK
its his decision fuck everyone else i mean would you prefer he had a very painful death or this?
You have to learn the rules of the game and then you have to play better than anyone else.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Parker wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Check the suicide thread.

Mentally ill people shouldn't be given the choice, generally speaking. I've been there, wont go there again.

Several years ago euthenasia was briefly legal where I live. The legislation was rapidly overrode by the fed govt. but that's beside the point.

There was talk of a clinic for assisted suicide being set up in Darwin, where those with a genuine need such as a terminally ill or permanently disabled person could go. This is what I'm talking about, if you want to pass euthenasia laws, you cannot allow the mentally ill or those under age to make the decision. Until they fully understand what they are doing and are sound of mind, the services provided by a euthenasia clinic should not be accesable to them. Would you let a 6 year old wander into the clinic and kill himself because the kids up the street convinced him it would be a laugh?

What about a 12 year old?

I'm not claiming any right to be the arbitrator of all cases of suicide but personal experience dictates that not everybody who wishes to hang themself/blow the back of their head out/bleed to death/od should be given the opportunity. Not everybody has thought the ramifications through completely.

Last edited by Flecco (2008-12-10 15:56:54)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6004|...

Parker wrote:

Flecco wrote:

random emos killing themselves by jumping of flats or in front of trains should be shot in the afterlife.

on topic; this man had a problem without a cure. in this case I allow it, but I'm not easy on letting people kill themselves.

Last edited by dayarath (2008-12-10 15:32:20)

inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard