blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6634
A girl of 14 was killed by a speeding motorist as she crossed a road while listening to her iPod, an inquest has heard.

Jordan Bell, of Colchester, Essex, died near her home on the afternoon of March 21.

The inquest, in Chelmsford, Essex, has been told that the schoolgirl’s MP3 player was found in the road after the crash.

PC Charles Harris, who investigated the incident, said inquiries concluded that Mark Batten was driving his Volkswagen Golf GTi ‘slightly lower than 40mph’ in a residential street where the speed limit is 30mph.

Batten, 28, of Colchester, will appear before magistrates later this month after being reported for careless driving and driving with excess speed, the inquest was told.

Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Dozens of friends and family members have left tributes on her Bebo internet page and a dedicated memorial website.

One friend drew a picture of an iPod beside the note: ‘R.I.P. Baby.’

Another web user wrote: ‘You will bring rock to the heavens!’

And one friend wrote: ‘You didn’t deserve what happened to you. So gorgeous. You will always be loved and missed so much.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -iPod.html

area where she was killed
https://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3294/article109171502b03e7f0tt1.jpg

Last edited by blademaster (2008-12-08 23:00:32)

LT.Victim
+1,175|6552|British Columbia, Canada
Sadly, this isn't the first time something like this has happened..

RIP
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6142|what

Hope the driver is okay after this. I don't think that driving under 40mph in a 30 zone, even causing an accidental death should be held against him and he be made to suffer entirely because of it. Two lives could be ruined because she was listening to music and he was just over the speed limit.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Defiance
+438|6660

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Hope the driver is okay after this. I don't think that driving under 40mph in a 30 zone, even causing an accidental death should be held against him and he be made to suffer entirely because of it. Two lives could be ruined because she was listening to music and he was just over the speed limit.
Ha.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6541|Scotland

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I agree, my heart goes out to her family and friends. Crossing the road (maybe without looking as she was listening to music) while he was just over the speed limit. I know the speed limit is there for a reason, but as reaper says two lives shouldn't be ruined over this.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6644

I've gotta play devil's advocate here...

Sure the guy was speeding, but did the girl look both ways before crossing the street? Or was she fully aware of her surroundings? It's not like the guy was going ridiculously over the speed limit, and there are a lot of idiots out there who listen to their music too loud and are completely oblivious to their surroundings.

Even before hearing about this incident or any similar ones, I always take extra special care when walking around with my headphones on. I don't play my music all that loud, but still, I'll put emphasis on the "look" part of "stop, look, and listen" since I'm not doing so much "listen"ing. Gotta be smart to make up for all the stupid people out there.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5920|Somewhere out in Space
here come the hearse-chasing lawyers.  Yeah, no longer reserved for ambulances.
Hakei
Banned
+295|5984
Maybe I'm missing the point here but, there are probably 100's of road killings every day, why on Earth is this story spectacular?
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6541|Scotland
"But a road traffic expert said the accident could have been avoided if the schoolgirl had looked before stepping off the pavement."
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6654|NT, like Mick Dundee

Reaper has a point. Tis probs partially her fault.

RIP crazy ipod chick. I hope 4chan doesn't fuck with your family.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6429|Brisbane, Australia

White-Fusion wrote:

"But a road traffic expert said the accident could have been avoided if the schoolgirl had looked before stepping off the pavement."
Less than 10 mph over the limit is pretty typical, it could have been anyone.

Doesnt mean he is innocent, but he shouldnt go to jail or anything. He already has to live with this.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6696|67.222.138.85
I was going to say all the stuff you guys are saying about it being partially her fault and she should have been more aware, but then looking at the picture you see it was a crosswalk. As a driver you fucking pay attention to a crosswalk, pedestrians have the right of way. Yes you should still look both ways as a pedestrian because while that's how a crosswalk is supposed to work, better safe than sorry, but the blame falls squarely on the driver.
Defiance
+438|6660

I'm not the most familiar with the laws in the UK but in the US, pedestrians have the right of way at crosswalks. It is the drivers responsibility to watch for pedestrians at crosswalks, on top of obeying the speed limit. Hence why you need a license to drive, and not to walk, among other reasons.

Was she irresponsible? Without a doubt. This is not a situation where responsibility goes one way or the other, but to let the guy off with a speeding ticket is asinine and unjust. Judging by the picture of the intersection, there's a good deal of space between the road and the walking path and nothing blocking sight. Unless she was walking heel-to-toe across the curb, she could not have just popped out in the middle of the crosswalk. In the case that she was, the driver should have slowed down significantly. Oh wait, 40 MPH across a crosswalk? Plain reckless.

Come on guys, don't be unreasonable just because the article is blatantly bias.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6541|Scotland

Defiance wrote:

I'm not the most familiar with the laws in the UK but in the US, pedestrians have the right of way at crosswalks. It is the drivers responsibility to watch for pedestrians at crosswalks, on top of obeying the speed limit. Hence why you need a license to drive, and not to walk, among other reasons.

Was she irresponsible? Without a doubt. This is not a situation where responsibility goes one way or the other, but to let the guy off with a speeding ticket is asinine and unjust. Judging by the picture of the intersection, there's a good deal of space between the road and the walking path and nothing blocking sight. Unless she was walking heel-to-toe across the curb, she could not have just popped out in the middle of the crosswalk. In the case that she was, the driver should have slowed down significantly. Oh wait, 40 MPH across a crosswalk? Plain reckless.

Come on guys, don't be unreasonable just because the article is blatantly bias.
Very good point. I still feel a long prison sentence would be harsh. If he is deeply sorry. A couple years in jail and a year after that banned from driving will on top of this haunting him forever, sort him out.
The#1Spot
+105|6529|byah

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I was going to say all the stuff you guys are saying about it being partially her fault and she should have been more aware, but then looking at the picture you see it was a crosswalk. As a driver you fucking pay attention to a crosswalk, pedestrians have the right of way. Yes you should still look both ways as a pedestrian because while that's how a crosswalk is supposed to work, better safe than sorry, but the blame falls squarely on the driver.
By law pedestrians have the right of way but in the real world its the opposite case. The vehicle always wins no matter what. Its more her fault that she had died as there are no blind spots and must have been one hell of a slow crosser to not make it to the median or from there to the other side. Funny how they fault the driver in the news report with mowed her down.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6541|Scotland

The#1Spot wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

By law pedestrians have the right of way but in the real world its the opposite case. The vehicle always wins no matter what. Its more her fault that she had died as there are no blind spots and must have been one hell of a slow crosser to not make it to the median or from there to the other side. Funny how they fault the driver in the news report with mowed her down.
Sorry but don't agree with you there at all... in the real world? that's ridiculous. It's the law that she had the right of way, she shouldn't have had to be a fast walker or anything. It's a crossing and it's well marked. If it was an old deaf women it would be the same?
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6634

mtb0minime wrote:

and there are a lot of idiots out there who listen to their music too loud and are completely oblivious to their surroundings.
hahhaa thats so me!!!! while driving that is, nonetheless I watch for pedestrians

Last edited by blademaster (2008-12-08 22:43:32)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6696|67.222.138.85

The#1Spot wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lol you have got to be kidding me. So when a battleship mows down a sailboat, the battleship takes no blame because might makes right.

Thank god you don't drive in my city.
CanadianLoser
Meow :3 :3
+1,148|6497
This accident could have been avoided, yes, but I don't think you can really send a guy away for doing that, the guilt on an average person after doing that would consume you enough.  I put myself in that guys shoes, it could've been me driving, my life would be instantly ruined,  and if i went to jail for that.... damn.  Obviously he is partly responsible and i am not saying its OK that he did that.  It's just really hard to say what the punishment should be for something that is truly accidental and unfortunate as that.  We are only human after all.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

White-Fusion wrote:

Sorry but don't agree with you there at all... in the real world? that's ridiculous. It's the law that she had the right of way, she shouldn't have had to be a fast walker or anything. It's a crossing and it's well marked. If it was an old deaf women it would be the same?
1) Any old deaf woman who was still in full possession of her mental faculties would check for cars before crossing. I don't know any deaf old women, but I've meant plenty of my older relations. They always check.

2) When crossing the road a pedestrian always, always has a duty of care to themselves to cross in a cautious and sensible manner.

You'd have to be pretty fucking stupid to blindfold yourself, whack earplugs in your head and then stroll across a pedestrian crossing. I find it hard to be sympathetic to somebody who assumed there were no cars coming without checking.

It's tragic she died but the blame does not rest only with the driver. The girl was negligent.

Last edited by Flecco (2008-12-08 22:49:43)

BlackKoala
+215|6314
K, you DONT FUCKING speed through residential areas.  And you DONT speed through areas with crosswalks that obvious.  If anything I slow down when I go through the city, I'm not going to speed through an area like that.  And definitely not 10 over.

Yes, the girl fucked up, but the driver should have been a little more on his toes.  The law gives the RoW to the girl.

What if the girl was deaf?  Then I bet all of you assholes who are blaming the girl would have different views.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5920|Somewhere out in Space

BlackKoala wrote:

K, you DONT FUCKING speed through residential areas.  And you DONT speed through areas with crosswalks that obvious.  If anything I slow down when I go through the city, I'm not going to speed through an area like that.  And definitely not 10 over.

Yes, the girl fucked up, but the driver should have been a little more on his toes.  The law gives the RoW to the girl.

What if the girl was deaf?  Then I bet all of you assholes who are blaming the girl would have different views.
Bitch should use her eyes.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

BlackKoala wrote:

Definitely would. Because then it would have been a physical impairment that stopped her from realising she was stepping out infront of a speeding vehicle.

Not her own insistence on being oblivious to the world.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6634

Flecco wrote:

BlackKoala wrote:

Definitely would. Because then it would have been a physical impairment that stopped her from realising she was stepping out infront of a speeding vehicle.

Not her own insistence on being oblivious to the world.
well they are both to blame, one for not looking and the other for driving too fast

area where she was killed
https://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3294/article109171502b03e7f0tt1.jpg

Last edited by blademaster (2008-12-08 23:00:01)

The#1Spot
+105|6529|byah

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

lol you have got to be kidding me. So when a battleship mows down a sailboat, the battleship takes no blame because might makes right.

Thank god you don't drive in my city.
Step in front of a 3000lb car going nearly 40mph and see who wins.

Last edited by The#1Spot (2008-12-08 23:00:23)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard