Brasso
+1,549|6635

doompenguin wrote:

We did this in Physics and the pencil caught fire, then exploded.

We thought it was so awesome we donated our own pencils to watch them blow up.
my god, we better do that this year.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6458|The Twilight Zone
Its cos of the graphite if you're talking about regular pencils.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
CrazeD
+368|6678|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Why wouldn't I?
That is a hefty wad of current, 100 times more than enough to kill a man - and make absolute shit of a pencil I would imagine.

wensleydale8 wrote:

isnt it something like 6milliA that will kill you?
AC. This is DC.

An AA battery can discharge a good 1.5A, but you won't die from holding one. Same with a car battery, it can output a good kA, but you can still touch it without even feeling it. Your body simply has too high resistance.
I know people who have been shocked by car batteries, so yes you can feel it.
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6399|The Gem Saloon

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

That is a hefty wad of current, 100 times more than enough to kill a man - and make absolute shit of a pencil I would imagine.

wensleydale8 wrote:

AC. This is DC.

An AA battery can discharge a good 1.5A, but you won't die from holding one. Same with a car battery, it can output a good kA, but you can still touch it without even feeling it. Your body simply has too high resistance.
i have personally witnessed a guy that got his wedding ring welded to a wrench, by a car battery....tell HIM he didnt feel it lol.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6632|UK
More to the point, why the hell to do you have 5 car batteries?
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6468|cuntshitlake

liquidat0r wrote:

He's married with UPS's nowadays

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-12-03 14:46:58)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6848|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Parker wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

AC. This is DC.

i have personally witnessed a guy that got his wedding ring welded to a wrench, by a car battery....tell HIM he didnt feel it lol.
I didn't think the voltage of car batteries was high enough to pass through you.
Parker
isteal

Sydney wrote:

Parker wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

I didn't think the voltage of car batteries was high enough to pass through you.
i dont think so either....i was standing a good 10-12 feet away.
Defiance
+438|6676

Freezer wrote:

Same with a car battery, it can output a good kA, but you can still touch it without even feeling it.
A car battery is 12V. If it outputs a kA, then that is dependent on your bodies resistance, and you die. It's not going to output a kA and you won't feel it. Rather, you may but only for a short time.

Sydney wrote:

Not if your skin is dry.

If you've just been swimming, you'll feel it.
If you've just been swimming in salt water, you'll feel it, maybe not for long.

Freezer, the point of using 'perfect world' physics is to remain accurate. If you measure the voltage of each battery and added them together to get 65, fair enough and better in fact. You can not, however, arbitrarily state that it's 65V because a well charged battery is (in your mind) 13V.

Also, AC does not kill in the same manner as DC. What it does is cause the muscles to contract, and at that point you're in a world of shit because of the persistent current going through you. As it causes the muscles to contract, the direction of current is also changing rapidly and when that effect is present on your heart it causes fibrillation. That kills you. From what I've read, it takes about a fifth of the DC 'kill' current to kill someone with AC.

In summary: Current is measured in Amperes, it's current that kills. Amperes are calculated in accordance to Volts and Ohms (As said, V=IR). Any amount of voltage can kill you if your resistance is low enough. Realistically, your body can floor around 300 Ohms. Worst case scenarios, lower. It's unlikely a car battery will kill you but it's not a stretch of the imagination for it to be possible.

That said, flaming pencils are cool.

Edit: Just remembered this fun situation from physics. Say you're standing around a grounded storm cable. Say lightning strikes and it releases charge in to the ground. Say your walking too/away from it and you're two feet are two different distances from the wire. The potential difference of charge from where one foot is to the next can cause a current adequate to kill someone. What the R required for this is, I don't remember but it's another 'special situation' things.

Last edited by Defiance (2008-12-03 15:13:53)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6202|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Why wouldn't I?

wensleydale8 wrote:

AC. This is DC.

It's really, really hard to get shocked by a car battery, unless you're wearing tin foil and have just been swimming in a salt solution. Even so, if your body would somehow short one out, you'd just die on the spot and not feel a thing.

Volts hurt, amps kill.

DeathUnlimited wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

He's married with UPS's nowadays
<3

Parker wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Parker wrote:

i dont think so either....i was standing a good 10-12 feet away.
He must have put the wrench to one terminal and his ring to the other. To weld with 12V, you'll need around 7-10A minimum, and that isn't gonna pass through a body.

Defiance wrote:

Freezer wrote:

Same with a car battery, it can output a good kA, but you can still touch it without even feeling it.
A car battery is 12V. If it outputs a kA, then that is dependent on your bodies resistance, and you die. It's not going to output a kA and you won't feel it. Rather, you may but only for a short time.

Sydney wrote:

Not if your skin is dry.

If you've just been swimming, you'll feel it.
If you've just been swimming in salt water, you'll feel it, maybe not for long.

Freezer, the point of using 'perfect world' physics is to remain accurate. If you measure the voltage of each battery and added them together to get 65, fair enough and better in fact. You can not, however, arbitrarily state that it's 65V because a well charged battery is (in your mind) 13V.

Also, AC does not kill in the same manner as DC. What it does is cause the muscles to contract, and at that point you're in a world of shit because of the persistent current going through you. As it causes the muscles to contract, the direction of current is also changing rapidly and when that effect is present on your heart it causes fibrillation. That kills you. From what I've read, it takes about a fifth of the DC 'kill' current to kill someone with AC.

In summary: Current is measured in Amperes, it's current that kills. Amperes are calculated in accordance to Volts and Ohms (As said, V=IR). Any amount of voltage can kill you if your resistance is low enough. Realistically, your body can floor around 300 Ohms. Worst case scenarios, lower. It's unlikely a car battery will kill you but it's not a stretch of the imagination for it to be possible.

That said, flaming pencils are cool.

Edit: Just remembered this fun situation from physics. Say you're standing around a grounded storm cable. Say lightning strikes and it releases charge in to the ground. Say your walking too/away from it and you're two feet are two different distances from the wire. The potential difference of charge from where one foot is to the next can cause a current adequate to kill someone. What the R required for this is, I don't remember but it's another 'special situation' things.
First, I was just stating that a car battery can output a kA. The short-circuit amperage on my car batteries, which aren't the kind you usually find in cars (they're designed for providing a stable current for longer) are 800A a piece. As soon as you put any kind of resistance in between, that current is reduced to a fractal of the shorting current.

Second, I prefer using real-world numbers in manners like this, as if you'd use those perfect-world numbers when dealing with, say for instance, car batteries, you'd have five dead batteries in a month. Perfect-world numbers work wonderfully for accuracy in theory, but come on, this is an internet forum

Third, yes, you're more or less correct. AC is also less effected by high resistance, so 1-2kOhm won't stop it like DC. That's why we use it in our sockets.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6500|Sydney, Australia
Graphite is conductive, and the "lead" is made out of graphite.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)
lol

awsm thread is awsm.
Parker
isteal

Freezer7Pro wrote:

He must have put the wrench to one terminal and his ring to the other.
wat

no, the frame in a car acts as a ground.
he was on the positive terminal with the wrench (the same hand that had the ring on it). the bolt on the terminal broke free and the wrench hit the frame.

BIG pop sound, and then he started screaming because he got the shit burned out of his hand when that shit welded together.

bad day for him.
mikkel
+383|6606
Conductors conduct. Now caught on video.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6202|Winland

Parker wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

He must have put the wrench to one terminal and his ring to the other.
wat

no, the frame in a car acts as a ground.
he was on the positive terminal with the wrench (the same hand that had the ring on it). the bolt on the terminal broke free and the wrench hit the frame.

BIG pop sound, and then he started screaming because he got the shit burned out of his hand when that shit welded together.

bad day for him.
Same thing, the whole car is connected to - on the battery. The point I was trying to make is that it was the ring and wrench, not his body that were conducting. He wasn't conducting electricity or getting shocked, just burned.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Parker
isteal

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Same thing
not really.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The point I was trying to make is that it was the ring and wrench, not his body that were conducting. He wasn't conducting electricity or getting shocked, just burned.
thanks for letting me know...

Parker wrote:

he got the shit burned out of his hand when that shit welded together.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6771|Cambridge (UK)

Parker wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Same thing
not really.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

The point I was trying to make is that it was the ring and wrench, not his body that were conducting. He wasn't conducting electricity or getting shocked, just burned.
thanks for letting me know...

Parker wrote:

he got the shit burned out of his hand when that shit welded together.
I think you'll find he didn't get burned at all.

He got burnt.

*runs away*

theit57
I am THE Frodo Baggins.
+124|6404|6 feet under

hoplite wrote:

End of the day. Pencils do conduct electricity. /argument
no shit, graphites a carbon isotope. carbon conducts electricity
CrazeD
+368|6678|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

AC. This is DC.

It's really, really hard to get shocked by a car battery, unless you're wearing tin foil and have just been swimming in a salt solution. Even so, if your body would somehow short one out, you'd just die on the spot and not feel a thing.
You've obviously never worked on a car then. It's not as hard as you might think to hit metal while working on/around the battery and short it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard