Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6675|Canberra, AUS

Flecco wrote:

Spark wrote:

As for dirty bombs themselves: as actual weapons doing physical damage, they're not much better than ordinary bombs. The radioactive fallout will only be dangerous to a very localized area and will be very unlikely to hurt a lot of people.

Psychologically, though...
Actually, a shipping container of radioactive material entering NYC would shorten the lifespans of hundreds of thousands of people.
That's a far, far stretch from a dirty bomb - more akin to a biological attack than anything else (minus the self-gestating bit)

The idea of a dirty bomb is that bomb goes off - area is contaminated - cleanup - area closed - no one wants to live/work/go there every again. The bomb is kinda important in all that.

As I said before, I was given a lecture on maritime security. The worst case scenario that the US Coast Guard came up with after 9/11 was a large amount of radioactive material being smuggled into a large port (such as NYC's) and being allowed to sit there. No explosion involved. Estimates put the fastest possible reaction at over six hours due to the time it would take for somebody in a hospital to diagnose radiation sickness and then to track the exposure back to the source. Hitting a port like Hong Kong, New York, Rotterdam or Shanghai would do major damage in terms of human lives.
TBH I still think a bio-attack is much more dangerous.

That's why international maritime shipping security codes and many national laws (including Australia's) were changed to tighten the virtually non-existent security measures being taken. Now it's exceedingly difficult to pull of something like that.
See above. It really isn't.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
If it were me I'd put a dirty great dirty bomb in a container and set it to go off just as the ship docks.
Not much could be done TBH, unless the US stopped importing stuff
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

Dilbert_X wrote:

If it were me I'd put a dirty great dirty bomb in a container and set it to go off just as the ship docks.
Sounds like a confession to me.

*cue black helicopters*
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6665|NT, like Mick Dundee

Dilbert_X wrote:

Flecco wrote:

That's why international maritime shipping security codes and many national laws (including Australia's) were changed to tighten the virtually non-existent security measures being taken. Now it's exceedingly difficult to pull of something like that.
LOL You know only 1/100 containers gets searched?
LOL do you have any idea how hard it is to smuggle something into a container.

All Australian ports that allow ships over a certain tonnage into dock have to have certain security measures in place. MTOFSA explains all this and gives government the right to enforce this. If the Port Security Plan is deemed inadequate they can close the port.

Go down to Brisbane's/Perth's/Gove's/Sydney's/Gladstone's/Darwin's etc. shipping docks and try to get in. They don't have to search the containers because unless you are carrying a MSIC card and have authorised reason for entry you wont get in short of breaking in via cutting the fenceline or something. Which would probably lead to some sort of investigation. Getting something into a shipping container of them without going through official channels is harder than you might imagine. While the controls over MSIC cards aren't hugely stringent, to get one you have to work for a company/contractor/corporation that has a legitimate reason to be using the waterfront. It's not as easy as sneaking some stanley knives on a plane with the shipping industry, International Maritime codes now govern the standard of security controlling international ports and US law dictate that any port that doesn't meet these standards may not be used as a port of origin for any ship wishing to berth in the USA's ports.

I can break out MTOFSA if you guys want. As far as I know the US laws are pretty similar. I think the International Port Security code is avaliable on the internet somewhere.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX
Its not the Aus ports which are the problem, its the containers being loaded up in Indonesia etc.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Its not the Aus ports which are the problem, its the containers being loaded up in Indonesia etc.
Which, as I explained, are either held under the same level of scrutiny as here, or they aren't let into the USA's ports.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6578|Columbus, OH

SealXo wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081202/ap_on_go_ot/wmd_study

Regardless of whether it's a BS threat or not, it provides a good question - is the US prepared? Is your family prepared? How would you handle a situation?
2012 comes first
True that
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Chris Ryan made a documentary on how to survive a dirty bomb attack

ghettoperson wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Sounds like a confession to me.

*cue black helicopters*
and Bruce Willis

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2008-12-02 06:00:10)

rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5862
lets hope its Russia/China that eradicate the U.S terrorists with nuclear weapons
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

rammunition wrote:

lets hope its Russia/China that eradicate the U.S terrorists with nuclear weapons
https://www.latinoreview.com/images/user/picard-facepalm.jpg
Flecco
iPod is broken.

rammunition wrote:

I'll come to Derbyshire and raid your pubs with my bro.

Then you will know the true meaning of terrorists.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5862

Flecco wrote:

rammunition wrote:

whatever you say terrorist scum
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

rammunition wrote:

Flecco wrote:

rammunition wrote:

So now the Aussies are terrorists? Jaysus
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5862

M.O.A.B wrote:

rammunition wrote:

Flecco wrote:

So now the Aussies are terrorists? Jaysus
if he sides with the U.S terrorists, then yes, a terrorist sympathizer
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6672|UK
Americans scare to easily.

https://www.upgradetravelbetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/dhs-threat-level-chart-joke.jpg
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5862

m3thod wrote:

Americans are brainwashed to easily.
fixed
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6108|Birmingham, UK

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Regardless of whether it's a BS threat or not, it provides a good question - is the US prepared? Is your family prepared? How would you handle a situation where a dirty bomb went off and you were in the radius?
How exactly do you prepare your family for being blown up?
I thought dirty bombs weren't big explosions?

Isn't it the fallout that kills you?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717

SEREVENT wrote:

lowing wrote:

Poseidon wrote:

Regardless of whether it's a BS threat or not, it provides a good question - is the US prepared? Is your family prepared? How would you handle a situation where a dirty bomb went off and you were in the radius?
How exactly do you prepare your family for being blown up?
I thought dirty bombs weren't big explosions?

Isn't it the fallout that kills you?
Still big enough.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6291|Éire
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6696|NJ
Oh my god we're all going to die.. Oh wait that's right we're all going to die anyway...

Old hat, scare tactics to pass non-common sense laws so everyone will feel warm and fuzzy.

We live in a scary time and it's not the "terrorist/guns" that makes it so scary, it's the fact that majority of our population doesn't want the responsiblity to defend one self and other people.. They want to be a victom and change laws instead of dealing with the problem.
Icleos
+101|6742

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Oh my god we're all going to die.. Oh wait that's right we're all going to die anyway...

Old hat, scare tactics to pass non-common sense laws so everyone will feel warm and fuzzy.

We live in a scary time and it's not the "terrorist/guns" that makes it so scary, it's the fact that majority of our population doesn't want the responsiblity to defend one self and other people.. They want to be a victom and change laws instead of dealing with the problem.
I'll second that.
The majority of average citizens aren't willing to take up the responsibility.
They tend to forget that people on another piece of land want to kill you.

Last edited by Icleos (2008-12-02 10:53:56)

Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6000|...
if hundreds of tons of drugs / coke / illegal substances can be smuggled into the US or any country I don't see why a dirty bomb shouldn't be able to be smuggled in said country. They don't have to be huge like in WW2 unless you want a blast the size of texas. (note; dramatization.)

the whining on this warning is so stupid, if they don't announce anything in the news well in advance (and something actually happens) people blame the government for corruption etc etc, and when they do they're being scare mongerers.
inane little opines
mikkel
+383|6602

Poseidon wrote:

How would you handle a situation where a dirty bomb went off and you were in the radius?
Duck and cover
El Beardo
steel woolly mammoth
+150|5720|Gulf Coast

All you have to do is crawl under your desk and cover your head.
icecold2510
+31|6294

rammunition wrote:

lol

your a funny terrorist, i didn't know they can be amusing

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard