Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6564|USA
righto. i have a homework problem i need help with.

integral of (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3)

winner gets karma and eternal gratitude.

edit: before i forget, it has to be done by hand, so whatever you get from a calculator is incorrect by way of wrong technique.

Last edited by Ender2309 (2008-12-01 11:03:06)

wensleydale8
+81|6762|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire
I thought this said immigration help
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
BlackKoala
+215|6318
https://i38.tinypic.com/358rmo2.jpg

you're welcome.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6714|Sydney, Australia
I believe it is:

ln|x2 + 2*x + 3| + 2*tan-1(x+2) + C , where C is the constant of integration.

Shall check in Maple, and write the working out if ya want...

Edit: Fucked up the arctan part..

Apparently the overall thing should be:

ln|x2 + 2*x + 3| + (√2)*tan-1[(2*x+2)*(√2)/4] + C

But yeah, just separate the integral so in one part you get a logarithmic function, and an arctan function in the other part.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6564|USA
...wow. i can't believe i overlooked that. thanks man.
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6666|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Two questions.

1. How the fuck have you clever fuckers worked that out?

2. How do you think you will ever need to know that after school unless you become a scientist or something swotty?
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6564|USA

1927 wrote:

Two questions.

2. How do you think you will ever need to know that after school unless you become a scientist or something swotty?
1. its a bunch of rules and shit. its really easy.

2. its kind of necessary for me, seeing as i'm a civil engineering major.

edit: i feel like i should tell you that was only a chunk of the problem broken down after using partial fractions. the original looked like this:

integral (4x^3+3x^2-2x+1)/((x-1)^2*(x^2+2x+3))

Last edited by Ender2309 (2008-12-02 02:10:21)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Sweet. If I ever stumble across godawful maths, I know where to look for help.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Ender2309 wrote:

1927 wrote:

Two questions.

1. its a bunch of rules and shit. its really easy.

2. its kind of necessary for me, seeing as i'm a civil engineering major.

edit: i feel like i should tell you that was only a chunk of the problem broken down after using partial fractions. the original looked like this:

integral (4x^3+3x^2-2x+1)/((x-1)^2*(x^2+2x+3))
Wow, I'm glad my job seems easier than that, yes it has it's headaches but no way could I ever begin to try and untangle that bowl of spagetti math's that you did.

I can't speak French and neither can I speak math's.  Its a totally different level to myself, I still genuinely believe with the right people behind me I would be the best PM the Uk has ever had.
mcminty
Lol '27, as Ender said it's basically a bunch of rules and processes. You just look a the question, decide what needs to be done and the rest is pretty much the same each time (just with different numbers). And yeah, I'm a Civil Engineering major as well.

mcminty wrote:

Lol '27, as Ender said it's basically a bunch of rules and processes. You just look a the question, decide what needs to be done and the rest is pretty much the same each time (just with different numbers). And yeah, I'm a Civil Engineering major as well.
I'm a simple guy who cant stand complications (even though I tend to leave a wake of them where I go).  However, I cant begin to try and make that question simple, you make it sound simple by saying just follow the rules etc but even so.  I reckon you two sailed through school to the extent that you didn't need to revise and study as hard as the kids next to you, just one of the gifts you possess.

Could either of you give me an example of how in your job you have had to use or work out a formula/equasion (sp) as op had posted.

I'm a co director, we are a family business 96 years old.  Sign makers.  Our signs are made using software/computers/vinyl rather than with brushes, so English isn't as neccessary as it was 17 years ago when I left school.

The software does the maths for you.

I know the most important lesson/subject I learned in school was cooking as I cook every night.  I would like to say I.T or Computer Studies but I think you lot would laugh your arses off at me and ask 'What went wrong'?  I bet your gobsmacked when I tell you I passed my pc stuff with 'Distinction'.  Its probably just basic shit but even so.

I can't stay too serious for too long so I will finish this one post by saying my fav subject was Colouring in and Sand Pit time.  Joking aside I do actually use the colouring in bit when my colour printer goes tits up and I have proofs to submit.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6545|Scotland
27' they proberly worked very hard in school, and once you understand the rules of algebra etc. I guess they just keep learning new rules and studying, and for them complicated rules etc are fine for them.

Not everyone does it, most people don't need it. Apart from now I don't think I have ever needed to know anything about that.
mcminty

White-Fusion wrote:

27' they proberly worked very hard in school, and once you understand the rules of algebra etc. I guess they just keep learning new rules and studying, and for them complicated rules etc are fine for them.
Bingo.

I wanted to be an Engineer. I knew I needed the maths. I worked my arse off. The stuff that Ender asked help for is easy to me now because it was part of my latest maths course at uni.

On the flipside, I'd have no idea how to do what you do..

mcminty wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Bingo.

I wanted to be an Engineer. I knew I needed the maths. I worked my arse off. The stuff that Ender asked help for is easy to me now because it was part of my latest maths course at uni.

Most difficult part of my job is not falling out with my family, it's almost impossible and in the bigger picture probably makes your equasion/algebra thing look easy.  Even so I wouldn't swap.  I was born to do this as both my Sisters are 10/11 years older than me and 'back in the day' business were ....so n so & son. Even so, I could of done other things after school, gutted I didnt go to Uni but If I had fucked around in school Dad wouldn't have me here.  How times change eh? I'm trying to farm him off to a home (jk)
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6658|NT, like Mick Dundee

mcminty wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Bingo.

You sound like my mates, though they are doing Chem Engineering and Electrical Engineering/Computer Science respectively......
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6545|Scotland

Flecco wrote:

mcminty wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Bingo.

You sound like my mates, though they are doing Chem Engineering and Electrical Engineering/Computer Science respectively......
I left school when I was just about to turn 16. And I plan to do Computer Science.

[Alot] of hard work ahead.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6564|USA

mcminty wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Bingo.

exactly. it looks hard but when you've put the work in to get to this point its fairly simple. yeah you run into occasional hitches but more or less every problem is exactly the same thing with different numbers. that's the beauty of math, you only have to learn it once.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6836|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Ender2309 wrote:

mcminty wrote:

White-Fusion wrote:

Bingo.

exactly. it looks hard but when you've put the work in to get to this point its fairly simple. yeah you run into occasional hitches but more or less every problem is exactly the same thing with different numbers. that's the beauty of math, you only have to learn it once.
Until you forget it.

I'm studying for a final maths exam tomorrow, main theme being differentiation and logarithms, and suddenly vectors pop up in one of the problems I'm trying to solve, and I'm like "WTF!", I was doing vector last course and I already completely forgot how to use them to move a simple graph...

Supposed to move f(x) = x^2+1 by the vector (-1 | 1), I know it's easy and I'll feel like a dumbass when I figure it out...
justice
OctoPoster
+978|6734|OctoLand
Maths was the one part of my education that went really wrong. I was (and still am) amazingly good at doing mental maths in my head, I was extremely good with numbers, so I decided to take it as an A level (UK), but the level of work went up, and I had to deal with all these equations, rules etc. for some reason my brain couldn't get around it very well, the teacher was awful which didn't help, and I probably should have worked harder....Ended up just passing, 2 marks from a fail.

Good thing I was an ace at chemistry, biology and economics to save me ....but the fact is I don't use any of these subject in what I do now, so meh ..well economics I do, kinda.

Last edited by justice (2008-12-02 12:23:44)

I know fucking karate
JoshP
Banned
+176|5682|Notts, UK

Sydney wrote:

Supposed to move f(x) = x^2+1 by the vector (-1 | 1), I know it's easy and I'll feel like a dumbass when I figure it out...
because i'm retarded and i've forgotten wether vectors are (x | y) or (y |x ) you might need to swap these round, but:

change x to x-1 and simplify it         (assuming the x bit of the vector is 1)
then take off 1 from the equation      (assuming the y bit of the vector is -1)
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6836|Reykjavík, Iceland.

JoshP wrote:

Sydney wrote:

because i'm retarded and i've forgotten wether vectors are (x | y) or (y |x ) you might need to swap these round, but:

change x to x-1 and simplify it         (assuming the x bit of the vector is 1)
then take off 1 from the equation      (assuming the y bit of the vector is -1)
Yeah, I just found the rule

g(x)=f(x-a)+b

You did it opposite, but correctly.
mcminty
Ha! '27 mate, I've got no fucking clue about the above question on moving the function by a vector.

But srsly, wtf topic is it even?
Brasso
+1,549|6623

mcminty wrote:

you two could be me in 2 years. 
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
mcminty

haffeysucks wrote:

mcminty wrote:

you two could be me in 2 years. 
Whats in 2 years?
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5746|Roma

mcminty wrote:

I believe it is:

ln|x2 + 2*x + 3| + 2*tan-1(x+2) + C , where C is the constant of integration.

Shall check in Maple, and write the working out if ya want...

Edit: Fucked up the arctan part..

Apparently the overall thing should be:

ln|x2 + 2*x + 3| + (√2)*tan-1[(2*x+2)*(√2)/4] + C

But yeah, just separate the integral so in one part you get a logarithmic function, and an arctan function in the other part.
No way, I just had a test on taht today.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2008-12-02 14:40:31)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard