Poll

Should women be allowed to serve in the infantry?

Yes52%52% - 48
No47%47% - 44
Total: 92
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6641

Uzique wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

The team? How could a woman more qualified than a man hurt the team if she is more qualified? and Why wouldnt you get the job?
Don't you think sexual tension could evolve? Don't a substantial number of people fall in love at their place of work? Would these tensions not be disruptive?
Should gay men be allowed to join the military then?
no one needs to know
jsnipy
+3,276|6532|...

Parker wrote:

there is a reason that armies do not have females in infantry roles.
Tamil Tigers
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

jsnipy wrote:

Uzique wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Don't you think sexual tension could evolve? Don't a substantial number of people fall in love at their place of work? Would these tensions not be disruptive?
Sure. I don't think you would find a great deal of two way attraction in that scenario (assuming the majority of men are not homosexual). It could be argued that a gay man could be considered a liability, but I do not feel it would be the same situation as a woman. Different thread perhaps.
Yep, sure.

But it could also be assumed that the majority of infantry men aren't going to be insta-attracted to another individual just because they have a vagina. I'm sure letting women into the infantry wouldn't drive the (married and settled) men into some sexual frenzy in the middle of a tour. Of course there would be some cases, but I'm sure gay dudes get a lot of ass because of sexual frustration in similar military situations too... just look at the Navy.

*Shudders*

Gooners wrote:

no one needs to know
I'm not saying they do, I'm just scrutinizing his argument in a logical manner.

Last edited by Uzique (2008-11-30 18:01:30)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6403|The Gem Saloon

jsnipy wrote:

Parker wrote:

there is a reason that armies do not have females in infantry roles.
Tamil Tigers
armies.

not militant organizations.

shit, they use kids in combat roles as well.

let me rephrase;

there is a reason that professional armies do not have females in infantry roles.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5974|London, England

In an ideal world, yes they should.

today, no way.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Roc18
`
+655|5800|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

jsnipy wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Point taken. But it is not all about individual ability, its about the team. Say I'm qualified to be a PR person; with tons of experience and great references. I feel passionate about equal right and I want to be the local PR spokesperson for the local NAACP, would I get the job?

edit: and men don't get pregnant.
The team? How could a woman more qualified than a man hurt the team if she is more qualified? and Why wouldnt you get the job?
I understand you point but I still disagree strongly, if someone's life is on the line in a war I think the last thing they will be thinking about is fucking.

Last edited by Roc18 (2008-11-30 18:04:44)

Parker
isteal

Uzique wrote:

But it could also be assumed that the majority of infantry men aren't going to be insta-attracted to another individual just because they have a vagina. I'm sure letting women into the infantry wouldn't drive the (married and settled) men into some sexual frenzy in the middle of a tour. Of course there would be some cases, but I'm sure gay dudes get a lot of ass because of sexual frustration in similar military situations too... just look at the Navy.
imo, its not a whether or not a soldier would be attracted to a female....

its the fact that as males, it is an INSTINCT to try and protect females. behavior learned over thousands of years that is ingrained in our very existence....and thats without attraction.

like i said, anything that complicates a combat situation is a liability.
Roc18
`
+655|5800|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

Parker wrote:

Uzique wrote:

imo, its not a whether or not a soldier would be attracted to a female....

its the fact that as males, it is an INSTINCT to try and protect females. behavior learned over thousands of years that is ingrained in our very existence....and thats without attraction.

like i said, anything that complicates a combat situation is a liability.
Instinct huh? Its every soldiers obligation to protect other soldiers. I wish I can take a room of war veterans and ask them if they would prefer a woman that can protect thier ass in a war or a man who cant.
Parker
isteal

Roc18 wrote:

Instinct huh?
i know, its crazy right?

Roc18 wrote:

Its every soldiers obligation to protect other soldiers.
indeed it is.
however the fear is that direct orders would be disobeyed to protect a female soldier.
you know, its that whole instinct thing i was talking about

Roc18 wrote:

I wish I can take a room of war veterans and ask them if they would prefer a woman that can protect thier ass in a war or a man who cant.
better yet, why dont you ask them if they would rather have a male quadriplegic or a competent female...

OR, ask them if they think the current SOP is OK, or if they think it would be a good idea to ADD MORE COMPLICATIONS TO A COMBAT SITUATION...

simplicity in a combat situation=good.

there is no other way for me to say that.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum
ted said it best imho

+1 ted
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6690|Disaster Free Zone
Parker all I hear is "men will be distracted", "men will disobey orders", "men have primal instinct to protect women" (Bullshit, its a social instinct... just look at middle eastern and many Asian countries), "men blah blah...". From all that, my only logical conclusion is that men are the liability and that men should be banned from infantry as they seem to be the ones who can't do their job properly.

EDIT: I also disagree with practically everything you have said about 'men'.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2008-11-30 18:51:00)

Parker
isteal

DrunkFace wrote:

Parker all I hear is "men will be distracted", "men will disobey orders", "men have primal instinct to protect women" (Bullshit, its a social instinct... just look at middle eastern and many Asian countries), "men blah blah...". From all that, my only logical conclusion is that men are the liability and that men should be banned from infantry as they seem to be the ones who can't do their job properly.
too fucking true.

in fact, lets have one giant army that has their fucking cycle all at once.

and i never defined the "instinct", so im not sure who that part is directed towards.

DrunkFace wrote:

I also disagree with practically everything you have said about 'men'.

now, care to elaborate?
tuckergustav
+1,590|5923|...

Currently, women are infantry on a support level.  I think that is good enough.
topthrill05
+125|6587|Rochester NY USA
If this were an argument of ideals then yes.

But with logic the answer is no. Or in other words what Parker said.
13rin
+977|6488
She always has when needed.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
trippy982
+34|6407
I think women have their places in the military.  Positions in recon or spec ops are possible because most women are smaller, lighter, and nimble and can crawl through ducts and fit in confined area.  In addition, women tend to have better communication and reasoning skills so having them behind dispatched would be good too.  Their natural instinct of caring and nurturing would also make them ideal candidates for medic positions.  It's all about identifying each gender's key areas and utilizing those assets effectively.

However for physical labor intensive military units such as foot infantry, navy seals beach to shore landings in negative degree weathers, etc.. men would be ideal 99.9% of the time.

Last edited by trippy982 (2008-11-30 20:25:25)

VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6682|A sunburnt country
As long as the women have to pass the same tests as the men to get into the infantry then I don't see it being a problem.  Female cops have been on the "frontline" for years dealing with the scum of the earth and getting shot at, so what's the difference?

I base my opinion on having served 9 years in the Military, including active service in the Gulf (Desert Storm).
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

deeznutz1245 wrote:

This, for some reason, was the after dinner topic at Thanksgiving. I tried my best to drown out the conversation and watch football with my boy, but I eventually put in my two cents. My answer is no. Your thoughts?
Yes they should, with the understanding of one standard and no special needs, rights, or privileges, are granted.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6725

Uzique wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

You should be fine.... just don't tell anybody...lol... j/k

and women should be able to do what they wan't...but the reality is....that it opens up a can of worms... being treated differently... men protecting the women more... physical reasons... and possible rape upon capture...  it's a good question...
Love is the answer
BVC
+325|6705
I want to say yes, but there are practical reasons for them not to.  Female POW's being easy targets of sexual interrogation techniques...we need women to breed and having them shot at won't help...potential for distraction at inopportune moments.  Of course, having never served my perspective isn't perhaps the best.

IDK, ask the vets.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6660|USA

Pubic wrote:

I want to say yes, but there are practical reasons for them not to.  Female POW's being easy targets of sexual interrogation techniques...we need women to breed and having them shot at won't help...potential for distraction at inopportune moments.  Of course, having never served my perspective isn't perhaps the best.

IDK, ask the vets.
Well here is the thing, if your thinking about getting laid while you are engaged in combat, then YOU are the problem and not the women.
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6682|A sunburnt country

Pubic wrote:

IDK, ask the vets.
Read Bravo Two Zero if you haven't already.  It is a story about a SAS patrol that got captured in Iraq during Desert Storm.  They got badly beaten up but there biggest fear was being raped and none of them were women.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6775|Cambridge (UK)
ERM?

Yes.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6527|USA
i would like to know what GS thinks. or others who have served as infantry.
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6352|California

lowing wrote:

Well here is the thing, if your thinking about getting laid while you are engaged in combat, then YOU are the problem and not the women.
- Well said.
- Sorry Parker, but please get a realistic view of people and not stereotypical views.
- Men in the army already rape civilians so you can't argue that view
- Men can be raped just as easily
- All I know is that if the girl can kick my ass and kill me....I'd rather not
- This is a very bad place to ask this question considering 98% of the people on here are minors, average civilians, couch potatoes, or have never served in the military or done anything more than speak to a cop outside of getting a ticket.
- I'd rather have a competent girl than an incompetent guy
- Like it's been said before, If you're getting wood while shits being blown up by your head and you see your friends getting shot because you're looking at Sgt. Lacy May's ass, then you need to be taken out of the army and possibly charged with team endangerment.
- Stop having stereotypical/judgmental/sexist/preconceived views

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard