Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6193|Brisneyland
Article copied in Full

Caradvice.com wrote:

2010 Nissan GT-R to lose launch control

Broken gearboxes, voided warranties, angry customers - sounds like a recipe for disaster, right? Well that could be the reason why Nissan has taken the unprecedented step of removing Launch Control.

Speculation was rife that Nissan was going to move in that direction, but now, apparently, a “high-ranking Nissan executive” has confirmed the decision.

According to Inside Line, three contacts at Nissan were pestered until one of them finally broke the news:

“It’s gone,” he said when asked if launch control would return in 2010. “We just don’t want to deal with the warranty nightmare anymore. It’ll make the 2009 GT-R really special. It’ll be the only R35 with launch control.”
I think the GTR is an awesome piece of gear, but it seems that it may be a bit fragile. Definitely complicated with many more parts to break. I hope losing launch control fixes many of its problems.
TC.Troy
Let the rough side drag
+111|6544
They (new car models...particularly powerfull ones) go thru growing pains.  I've heard the GTR had a soft box, and frankly, thats just unacceptable from Nissan, or any other car maker.  You spend that kind of money, you want a nice solid gearbox at least.
Nissan will get it straight, no doubt in my mind.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6101|Carnoustie MASSIF
Seems that the car is so highly-strung that when something is going to go wrong, it's gonna go wrong in a biggggg way. They shoulda seen this coming, done strenuous testing on the integrity of the gearbox.
BlackKoala
+215|6296
Nissan handled this whole issues so entirely wrong.

What happens, is if you turn VDC off and LC on, you can have the "perfect" launch at what amounts to dumping the clutch at several thousand (read: nearly redline?) RPM's.  That's what allowed Nissan to get the 3.4s 0-60 and nice quarter miles. 

But apparently, they only built the transmission to withstand about 20 launches.  After that it requires a replacement.  And this replacement is NOT covered under warranty and costs the owner about $20k.  What the holy fuck did Nissan put the button on the car for if the owner's can't use it.??!?!?

Without the button, I think the 0-60 jumps up about half a second or so.  Nissan should realyl fix these fuckers, to charge owners 20k for this is insane.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6655|West Yorkshire, U.K
Bye mechanics

hello Auto electricians
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England

Kurazoo wrote:

Bye mechanics

hello Auto electricians
Bingo

I thought these Nissan GTR's were pretty solid cars. Had no idea they weren't. Surprised me. Especially considering their Nissans (or basically, Japanese cars) and the amount of work that's gone into these GTR's. (and how much Top Gear/Gran Turismo hyped up the car)

What happens, is if you turn VDC off and LC on, you can have the "perfect" launch at what amounts to dumping the clutch at several thousand (read: nearly redline?) RPM's.  That's what allowed Nissan to get the 3.4s 0-60 and nice quarter miles.

But apparently, they only built the transmission to withstand about 20 launches.  After that it requires a replacement.  And this replacement is NOT covered under warranty and costs the owner about $20k.  What the holy fuck did Nissan put the button on the car for if the owner's can't use it.??!?!?

Without the button, I think the 0-60 jumps up about half a second or so.  Nissan should realyl fix these fuckers, to charge owners 20k for this is insane.
Yeah, that's bullshit. I mean you could argue that it's going to be rarely ever used in normal driving anyway (pfft fuck that, use it at every stop, traffic light and crossing!) but still, it shouldn't have been implemented if it causes such a strain that the whole motherfucker breaks down after 20 or so instances of use. How the hell did that one even slip through the testing? Or did they just assume nobody would notice?
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6520|UK

Mekstizzle wrote:

Kurazoo wrote:

Bye mechanics

hello Auto electricians
Bingo

I thought these Nissan GTR's were pretty solid cars. Had no idea they weren't. Surprised me. Especially considering their Nissans (or basically, Japanese cars) and the amount of work that's gone into these GTR's. (and how much Top Gear/Gran Turismo hyped up the car)

Yeah, that's bullshit. I mean you could argue that it's going to be rarely ever used in normal driving anyway (pfft fuck that, use it at every stop, traffic light and crossing!) but still, it shouldn't have been implemented if it causes such a strain that the whole motherfucker breaks down after 20 or so instances of use. How the hell did that one even slip through the testing? Or did they just assume nobody would notice?
It is a bit strange.  I can only assume these issues did not appear on the prototypes but when the money men came in before the car went to production they must of started skimping.  Still, I'd of thought the production car would have been tested as vigorously.  Perhaps they where riding the PR thing to the extent they thought they could get away with it.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5652
Hahahahahahahahahaahahahaha.

Corvette 1, GTR 0
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker
  What a pos car ...

Dealer: You can launch it hard 20 times and if you want to do it 20 MORE times, we'll need 20K.

Last edited by Stingray24 (2008-11-21 13:54:14)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Corvette fanboi's GTFO.

But yeah, that's fucked up that they'd do something like that.
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah

BlackKoala wrote:

The only modern car with a rear mounted dual clutch awd transmission including rear diff. 20k is actually reasonable.
Stingray24

ghettoperson wrote:

Corvette fanboi's GTFO.
Not a chance.  This is way too much fun.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Enjoy your crappy plasticy car that you'll never own anyway then.
Stingray24
Least the car I'll never own won't break it's transmission after 20 launches like the car you'll never own.
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah

phishman420 wrote:

Hahahahahahahahahaahahahaha.

Corvette 1, GTR 0
GM in bankruptcy Nissan is not.
phishman420
Banned
+821|5652

Stingray24 wrote:

Least the car I'll never own won't break it's transmission after 20 launches like the car you'll never own.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

Stingray24 wrote:

Don't worry, I'd never buy one. I hate the look of the new one. Had they continued with the look of the old ones I'd be more interested.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6362|Southern California
Ummmm all you guys critisizing the car for being "weak" are a bit off base here.

I am not a real big fan of the car, but you gotta understand the weight of the thing + 4wd means that launching the car will kill things. Its not a matter of it being weak, Its a matter of dumping thousands of revs to 4 sticky tires with nearly 5000lbs trying to hold it in place... Those are some MASSIVE loads put on the components, nothing is gonna do that all day long with out breaking.

I DO think its stupid they put a button on the car that will destroy it and isn't covered under warranty, but that doesn't mean its built weak, It just means that Nissan was looking for impressive numbers to convince people they can still make sports cars.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Tbh I'd never get a car over 2.0 maybe upto 3.0 litres anyway. Unless I was super rich. Even if I had enough money to just buy the car, It would be pointless buying it unless you had the money to back it up petrol-wise. I know prices are getting cheaper these days, but the other main reason would be I'd hate having to go to a fucking petrol station every 5 seconds..
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Ummmm all you guys critisizing the car for being "weak" are a bit off base here.

I am not a real big fan of the car, but you gotta understand the weight of the thing + 4wd means that launching the car will kill things. Its not a matter of it being weak, Its a matter of dumping thousands of revs to 4 sticky tires with nearly 5000lbs trying to hold it in place... Those are some MASSIVE loads put on the components, nothing is gonna do that all day long with out breaking.

I DO think its stupid they put a button on the car that will destroy it and isn't covered under warranty, but that doesn't mean its built weak, It just means that Nissan was looking for impressive numbers to convince people they can still make sports cars.
Um the GTR weighs just under 4000lbs. Make you wonder if Dodge used the chassis of a mini trailer home considering all the stuff in a GTR.

Last edited by The#1Spot (2008-11-21 15:31:39)

wensleydale8
+81|6740|LEEDS!!!!!, Yorkshire

TC.Troy wrote:

They (new car models...particularly powerfull ones) go thru growing pains.  I've heard the GTR had a soft box, and frankly, thats just unacceptable from Nissan, or any other car maker.  You spend that kind of money, you want a nice solid gearbox at least.
Nissan will get it straight, no doubt in my mind.
the gear box is french what do you expect its a surrender monkey.

besides who needs lauch control its just as easy to dump the clutch yourself.
Dear God please let my karma one day reach 100, whether it be tomorrow or 1000 years in the future i want it to happen.
BlackKoala
+215|6296

Mekstizzle wrote:

Tbh I'd never get a car over 2.0 maybe upto 3.0 litres anyway. Unless I was super rich. Even if I had enough money to just buy the car, It would be pointless buying it unless you had the money to back it up petrol-wise. I know prices are getting cheaper these days, but the other main reason would be I'd hate having to go to a fucking petrol station every 5 seconds..
Add the 2 and 3 you mentioned together, and now we're talking.

Seriously, after driving my Friend's 03' SVT Cobra, nothing else can compare.  Having that much power under your right foot is fucking incredible.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Yeah I've never actually driven anything over 1.6
phishman420
Banned
+821|5652

BlackKoala wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Add the 2 and 3 you mentioned together, and now we're talking.

Seriously, after driving my Friend's 03' SVT Cobra, nothing else can compare.  Having that much power under your right foot is fucking incredible.
'03 Z06 > '03 Cobra

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard