The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6673|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
Yes for eg, I might be in the dentists chair kicking like a bitch as they work away but think of a particulary sad moment in my life which couldn't get much worse and that helps me fight my physical pain.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

woooo placebo effect

Mind over matter. That's all it is. You can't "train" yourself to take more pain, but if you think you are training yourself to be able to handle pain better then you will. Of course you could just skip the middle step and not be such a pussy.
I agree.
In general i agree but fact is with certain cases it doesn't work the scientific way ... like with the baker and the blacksmith, certain types of pain will lessen if you have them a lot over a period of time ... so actually you can "train" to take more pain in certain cases but in general you can't ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Varegg
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

1927 wrote:

Yes for eg, I might be in the dentists chair kicking like a bitch as they work away but think of a particulary sad moment in my life which couldn't get much worse and that helps me fight my physical pain.
Many pains are actually "made up" ... if you think hard enough about the fact that this will hurt it will, if you relax and take the 30 minutes in the chair as just a break it will hurt less ... like FM mentioned - mind over matter
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
BlackKoala
+215|6324
Yes.

I can withstand so much pain before I break, it's unreal.  To the point where sometimes I do insane thing to myself just to see if I can tolerate it. 

I haven't always been like this, all you have to do is take the pain mentally and your body reacts to it differently.  If you make yourself think of something, besides the pain, the pain becomes a non-issue.
DaRkAcE
+6|6198
Varegg
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

DaRkAcE wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gate_control_theory

Gogogo

Gate control theory wrote:

Comparison to other theories
Prior theories of the neurochemistry of pain had not taken the brain into account - pain was thought to be simply a direct response to a stimulus, a one-way "alarm system" like that proposed by René Descartes. This did not, for instance, explain why a carpenter can hit his thumb and not feel much pain, while a novice is in agony, nor did it explain phantom limb pain, when the signal is in fact impossible to receive, since the wiring for it is gone.

Consequences
The impact of this theory on medical treatment for pain has been profound, and has made it a multi-disciplinary field. Those being taught pain control techniques can actually be told why they work. This seems to play a major role in achieving results - which is explained most readily by psychoneuroimmunology, in which the nerves are seen as the link between the immune system and sensory and cognitive experience.

Corroboration
This theory is corroborated by Reynold's comparative study on rats. By stimulating a certain area of the brain (the periaqueductal area in the midbrain), Reynolds could induce analgesia to such an extent that the animal subjects of the experiment could undergo painless abdominal surgery while awake. This ties in with the Gate Control Theory, which posits that brain activity can affect the level of pain experienced.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5752|Roma
Yoshinkan Karate/Aikido is a good way to improve your pain indurance.
The pain in pratice is greater than the actual fight that when you are fighting you will feel "less" pain.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6348|Belfast
muscle spasms usualy help plain tolerence
painful is probably an under statement

my no.1 tip to get them?

break your leg near the hip

Last edited by henno13 (2008-11-19 09:00:09)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6524|South Florida

Noobeater wrote:

sithao wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

Conditioning or drugs
What kind of conditioning?.
Fucking painful physical conditioning that as i said would require expensive medical equiptment to do properly i.e. electrodes and converters, other than that you could only do this by self harming which just isn't cool and probably wouldn't work to be quite honest.

Though you could probably pay for incredibly expensive psychological conditioning though that would cost a fortune and be nothing less than brainwashing.
Dude whatttt...
Just play fight with a friend until your used to taking punches!

Free and much more usefull than whatever the fuck your blabing about.

The only way a punch is going to hurt less is if your used to getting punched

Last edited by Mitch (2008-11-19 09:38:51)

15 more years! 15 more years!
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5763|Belgium

aerodynamic wrote:

Yoshinkan Karate/Aikido is a good way to improve your pain indurance.
The pain in pratice is greater than the actual fight that when you are fighting you will feel "less" pain.
Heh, I did 4 years of Aikido and 3-ish years of Judo, they actually did help.

PS: What actually are those muscle spams? I get those small ones a lot, are they bad?
Atleast, I think it's muscle spawns, feels like there's something boiling under my skin (not hot, just feels like it, if you get what I mean O.o)
And they don't hurt either, it's just a weird feeling.

Last edited by Jebus (2008-11-19 10:44:20)

Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6692
Yes. CIA training etc. There are easier ways too.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

woooo placebo effect

Mind over matter. That's all it is. You can't "train" yourself to take more pain, but if you think you are training yourself to be able to handle pain better then you will. Of course you could just skip the middle step and not be such a pussy.
I agree.
In general i agree but fact is with certain cases it doesn't work the scientific way ... like with the baker and the blacksmith, certain types of pain will lessen if you have them a lot over a period of time ... so actually you can "train" to take more pain in certain cases but in general you can't ...
The physical (observable and predictable) "bodily" reaction is quite clear. What is actually going on, pain synapses etc. There is no debate here.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Varegg
+2,206|6809|Nårvei

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

I agree.
The physical (observable and predictable) "bodily" reaction is quite clear. What is actually going on, pain synapses etc. There is no debate here.
Actually there is a debate unless you disgard the "Gate control theory" which questiones the first post you made on the subject ...
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Varegg wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Actually there is a debate unless you disgard the "Gate control theory" which questiones the first post you made on the subject ...
When your neurotransmitters are used they become more sensitive to successive stimuli. Hearing, sight, taste (wine tasting for example) can all be enhanced with repetitive activity. That is the only thing I was addressing, and that is what I meant by no debate here. Mental preparation, adrenaline, emotions, and physical training are key factors in "tolerance".

With repetition those "interfering sensors" are also enhanced. That is what the gate theory addresses. It's is why the carpenter rubs his thumb when he hits it with his hammer. And it is the scientific way of looking at it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5701|College Park, MD
I got a cyst removed from my ass once with no pain killers. Hurt like the dickens.

Kmarion didn't you get lumbar punctured once? I hear that hurts like having your balls crushed in a vice grip while a white-hot rod is inserted into your anus and piping-hot molten steel is poured down your throat all while someone nails your tongue to a wall.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6222|Escea

Switch wrote:

Gingers have the lowest pain threshold.

I dunno, become a Shaolin Monk or something?
These, and I can confirm the first one myself
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6631

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I hear that hurts like having your balls crushed in a vice grip while a white-hot rod is inserted into your anus and piping-hot molten steel is poured down your throat all while someone nails your tongue to a wall.
That turned me on.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6600|132 and Bush

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I got a cyst removed from my ass once with no pain killers. Hurt like the dickens.

Kmarion didn't you get lumbar punctured once? I hear that hurts like having your balls crushed in a vice grip while a white-hot rod is inserted into your anus and piping-hot molten steel is poured down your throat all while someone nails your tongue to a wall.
I had a ruptured disc in my back. I had to have something done called a discogram. They stick needles into your disc and inject dye. Wort pain ever. The first time they did it I had no pain killers. I've had kidney stones and two surgeries.. not even close to the amount of pain I felt. It feels like your back is going to explode.. soo much pressure, it's unreal. The second time they gave me some drugs..lol.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
{HMS}_Sir_Del_Boy
+69|6708|th3 unkn0wn

sithao wrote:

I want to be able to take-in/brush off pain while fighting.
Car batteries connected your testicles.

If you can withstand that you can withstand ANYTHING! But that's only if you pass the test my young warrior.
100% Irishpride
Banned
+81|6159|Dublin
After growing up with 2 older brothers, I can now take a fair 'oul beating.

We fought over everything.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6222|Escea

haha
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6761

be a grunt
Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6234|Texas
Pain isn't real. It is just a defense mechanism your body uses to avoid danger. What is painful to others isn't to others. It depends on genetics (nerves) and what we call the pain threshold. What the monks do is bypass their pair reception through meditation. There are a few dentists out there that hypnotize or trick the brain into thinking the pain signals are neutral or even pleasure signals. It just takes intense concentration to fool the brain into thinking what you are sensing isn't pain.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard