unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

God Save the Queen wrote:

youre friends dont like paying taxes?  tell them fuck you from me.  Taxes are paying for my education.
https://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/Assets/capitalista.jpg
Us business owners aren't all like that. Higher taxes will mean that some of us will have to let some employees go. Much of the dough I'm supposedly 'rolling' in mostly goes to materials, equipment acquisition, maintenance, accounting and payroll...and the various levels of government has its fingers in the pies.

People should understand why we feel a bit alienated by the prospect of giving up even more. There comes a point when you wonder if it's worth it.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6558|San Diego, CA, USA
Ever got a job from a poor person?
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6529|Πάϊ

Harmor wrote:

Ever got a job from a poor person?
everyone's gonna be poor under Obama so there will be no jobs and no future

the world as we know it is going to end

McCain - Palin '08
ƒ³
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6421|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

Being a Doctor in the US is one of the most protectionist jobs going.
I didn't realize being a doctor was a union job...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
imortal
+240|6675|Austin, TX

oChaos.Haze wrote:

Then the doctors you play poker with are idiots.  Go to any hospital in the country and you will soon learn we already have nationalized health care.  You already pay for everyone who can't afford it, and have been doing so for years. 

Every person in the medical field that I know LOVES Obama.  Now maybe you play poker with private practice assdweebs who got into medicine for the money and the chicks, but out of the countless docs and nurses I know, every one of them is for Obama.
Wow.  I am in the medical field.  My wife is in the medical field.  Nearly every one of our friends is in the medical field.  MAYBE 1 in 20 of our medical friends is an Obama supporter.  Oh, and our friends are EMTs, paramedics, nurses and Med Techs.  None of us are particularly rich. And for those of you who are familiar with my history of posting, my wife thinks I and a wishy-washy left-leaning almost-a-liberal (for the record, I am more of a Libertarian than anything else).

oChaos.Haze wrote:

And please tell me how the lower and middle classes would eventually be screwed over.  I'd love to see where in his plan he says, "Oh and let us not forget to tax the shit out of people who have no money."  This is such an irrational extrapolation.
Ok, did you not read the part where the doctor was going to fire two people?  I can be relatively certain that those people had jobs that paid less than the doctor.  As in low-to-middle class.  They will be losing jobs as those "rich" people (you know, those ones that own all those businesses?) let people go in order to keep from going under because of the new taxes.  Or, they will raise the cost of their products or services, which screws everyone who uses them.

It is amazing to me that people constantly remark about the global marketplace and how everything is connected, then can cheerfully condone raising the taxes of one group and not think that they will be affected as well.
PureFodder
+225|6295

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Government protectionism, not union protectionism.
imortal
+240|6675|Austin, TX

CameronPoe wrote:

Pug wrote:

If you set up a system where people can make money based on a business decision, isn't that protecting your profits?  And unfortunately that's UnAmerican to do so?  That's backasswards.

I've provided an example on how the new economic policy will encourage businesses to increase unemployment in the short term.

For example:
Doctor pays $85k in taxes, his eight employees pay $15k each or $120k total.  Total collected = $205k.

Doctor fires two people.
Doctor pays $70k in taxes by reducing his income level, his six employees pay $12.5k each under lower taxes or $75k total.  Total collected = $145k.

There is no incentive for the doctor to grow his business as the take home will be less.

I am watching how Obama is addressing this issue, I haven't seen how it makes economic sense to do anything different unless we eliminate tax brackets and go with a different system altogether...which is a whole other can of worms.

Pug - your statement "there is no incentive for the doctor to grow his business" is nonsense. You grow your business, you earn more. Simple as that. The size of the business expansion just has to be larger, that´s all (which shouldn´t be too hard in a profession where business is guaranteed). You have given a very specific example here - those who are on the cusp of the tax band. That is a very specific example. What is your suggestion? Your rationale implies reduction of taxes always leads, paradoxically, to an increase in tax take. Why not reduce tax to 1% then? Do you honestly believe that would be viable??? This doctor appears to value his own personal comfort and luxury than keeping his employees in paid employment. That´s fair enough but frankly he´s a fucking crybaby if you ask me. I´ve been hit with a tax increase in the latest Irish budget - do you hear me complaining? No, because we have to collectively pick up the tab in the interests of society in general.
You would think it works that way, but it doesn't.  Take my job.  I work my 40 hours, I get paid.  If I work over 40, I get paid time-and-a-half.  Right up until I hit about 52 hours.  After that,, I hit the next tax bracket, and ALL of the money I make after that point goes to taxes.

If I work 58 hours in a week, I literally make $7 more than in a week I work 52 hours.  That is not per hour, that is 7 total.  7 dollars (after taxes) for 6 hours of work.  So, I hit 52 hours, and go home.  I am not working for free;  however, I will work my butt off if I am getting paid for the work I do.

It is not just a matter of working more and getting more money.  If it is scaled, you can take more money home by making slightly LESS, and sliding in under the next tax bracket.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6334|New Haven, CT
Haven't we already established no system of taxation can ever be fair?
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6400

Very odd mentality.  Over here, it's pretty hard to fire someone - you need to go through 3 warnings, have listed reasons in writing, and be prepared to cover your rich ass if they file a unfair dismissal claim.

Most of the time it's not worth the time or money to try to fire someone.
FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Look up "tort reform". The government doesn't protect doctors in any way, shape, or form.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6383|Kyiv, Ukraine

imortal wrote:

Wow.  I am in the medical field.  My wife is in the medical field.  Nearly every one of our friends is in the medical field.  MAYBE 1 in 20 of our medical friends is an Obama supporter.  Oh, and our friends are EMTs, paramedics, nurses and Med Techs.  None of us are particularly rich. And for those of you who are familiar with my history of posting, my wife thinks I and a wishy-washy left-leaning almost-a-liberal (for the record, I am more of a Libertarian than anything else).
Strange that libertarian Austin is going towards the Republicans in their current form and radical right segregationist Texarkana is going towards the progressives Democrats.  Pretty funny in a way.  It'll be fun to see the goofy election returns for the different Texas districts this election cycle.  I think the Katrina refugee thing may have re-drawn the map.

imortal wrote:

Take my job.  I work my 40 hours, I get paid.  If I work over 40, I get paid time-and-a-half.  Right up until I hit about 52 hours.  After that,, I hit the next tax bracket, and ALL of the money I make after that point goes to taxes.

If I work 58 hours in a week, I literally make $7 more than in a week I work 52 hours.  That is not per hour, that is 7 total.  7 dollars (after taxes) for 6 hours of work.  So, I hit 52 hours, and go home.  I am not working for free;  however, I will work my butt off if I am getting paid for the work I do.
Dude, if this is your understanding of the tax system, you definitely should NOT be preparing your own tax returns.  The IRS is making a lot of free money off you.

Last edited by GorillaTicTacs (2008-10-19 04:57:13)

PureFodder
+225|6295

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Look up "tort reform". The government doesn't protect doctors in any way, shape, or form.
By making it difficult for foreign doctors to move to the US and get jobs, the government prevents perfectly able doctors from poorer countries from moving to the US where they'd be more than happy to undercut the current doctors earnings.
http://www.shusterman.com/medguide.html
After reviewing the resumes received and interviewing any applicants who profess to be qualified for the position, the employer must demonstrate to the Labor Department that there are no U.S. physicians ready, able and qualified to perform the job.

U.S. immigration laws require that all H-1B physicians be paid the prevailing wage for their occupation in the geographic area where they will be employed or the actual wage being paid by the employer to other similarly employed physicians, whichever is higher. Severe penalties may be imposed on any employer who violates this requirement.
So you can't hire a foreign doctor unless you pay them the current rates (total wage protection) and there are no Americans who want the job.

These are government immigration laws. They prevent lots of perfectly qualified foreign doctors from moving to the US and undercutting the current wages, thusly driving down the wages of doctors via free-market competition.
imortal
+240|6675|Austin, TX

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

imortal wrote:

Take my job.  I work my 40 hours, I get paid.  If I work over 40, I get paid time-and-a-half.  Right up until I hit about 52 hours.  After that,, I hit the next tax bracket, and ALL of the money I make after that point goes to taxes.

Dude, if this is your understanding of the tax system, you definitely should NOT be preparing your own tax returns.  The IRS is making a lot of free money off you.
Are you kidding?  My WIFE does my taxes; I am not crazy.  I will just tell you what I have observed.

Granted, I have a crap job while I am going to school.  Better than my last crap job, but still no great shakes, as you will see.

When I work 52 hours a week (average) for 2 weeks, my paycheck is for $1012. piddly cents.
When I work 58 hours a week (average) for 2 weeks, my paycheck is for $1019. piddly cents.

I get time-and-a-half for anything over 40 hours.  And since my pay is in the vicinity of 11 an hour (I told you it was crappy), there seems to be a big money devouring hole that develops right at the 52 hour line.  After discussions with my wife and partner (partner at work, get your minds out of the gutter!) that line moves with the number of dependants you declared to the IRS.

And while I am getting raped by the IRS currently, I am assured by people whose job it is to know these things that it will help me not get raped in July.

This is why I am in favor of the "Fair Tax" consumption tax, because 182 pages of tax law sure beats 52,000+ pages, and I might have a fighting chance at understanding it.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6463|Ontario, Canada
if you dont like taxes then i wouldnt advise coming to Canada.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6383|Kyiv, Ukraine

imortal wrote:

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

imortal wrote:

Are you kidding?  My WIFE does my taxes; I am not crazy.  I will just tell you what I have observed.

Granted, I have a crap job while I am going to school.  Better than my last crap job, but still no great shakes, as you will see.

When I work 52 hours a week (average) for 2 weeks, my paycheck is for $1012. piddly cents.
When I work 58 hours a week (average) for 2 weeks, my paycheck is for $1019. piddly cents.

I get time-and-a-half for anything over 40 hours.  And since my pay is in the vicinity of 11 an hour (I told you it was crappy), there seems to be a big money devouring hole that develops right at the 52 hour line.  After discussions with my wife and partner (partner at work, get your minds out of the gutter!) that line moves with the number of dependants you declared to the IRS.

And while I am getting raped by the IRS currently, I am assured by people whose job it is to know these things that it will help me not get raped in July.

This is why I am in favor of the "Fair Tax" consumption tax, because 182 pages of tax law sure beats 52,000+ pages, and I might have a fighting chance at understanding it.
There's a difference between payroll deductions and what you actually pay or get returned at the end of the year.  You will get (most) of that money back (in July?).   Always claim 1

Despite the Repug talking points and disinformation, in the current basic tax system there is no case where you have a dis-incentive to work as much or earn as much as you feel like.  The only time this factors in is when you take into account certain tax credits and/or welfare benefits that aren't means-tested and progressively applied (most actually are).

For example - keep in mind I haven't done US taxes as a resident in about 7 years so the numbers may be way off, but this is an example of progressive taxation.

Case 1 -
You work 52 hours at $11/hour.  40 at regular and 12 at 1+1/2 overtime.  You make $638/week gross, $33,176/year.
For up to the first $12,000 you pay 0% = $0.00
For up to the next $12,000 you pay 12% = $1440.00
For the last $9176 you pay 14% = $1101.12

Total Tax Bill = $2541.12 (7.65% adjusted) before credits are applied - and most people can knock $2000 off for various craps.

Case 2 -
You work 58 hours at $11/hour.  40 at regular and 18 at 1+1/2 overtime.  You make $737/week gross, $38,324/year.
For up to the first $12,000 you pay 0% = $0.00
For up to the next $12,000 you pay 12% = $1440.00
For up to the next $12,000 you pay 14% = $1680.00
For the last $2,324 it jumps to 18% = $418.32

Total Tax Bill = $3538.32 (9.23% adjusted)

In reality the gaps get wider and the percentages jump higher, but never will it "save you money" by not making more money or make additional work completely pointless.

Besides, at that income level, Obama's tax plan works better than ever.  You'll be pretty much tax free.  I don't see you climbing your way into the top 5% of the US incomes very soon.
FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

By making it difficult for foreign doctors to move to the US and get jobs, the government prevents perfectly able doctors from poorer countries from moving to the US where they'd be more than happy to undercut the current doctors earnings.
After reviewing the resumes received and interviewing any applicants who profess to be qualified for the position, the employer must demonstrate to the Labor Department that there are no U.S. physicians ready, able and qualified to perform the job.

U.S. immigration laws require that all H-1B physicians be paid the prevailing wage for their occupation in the geographic area where they will be employed or the actual wage being paid by the employer to other similarly employed physicians, whichever is higher. Severe penalties may be imposed on any employer who violates this requirement.
So you can't hire a foreign doctor unless you pay them the current rates (total wage protection) and there are no Americans who want the job.

These are government immigration laws. They prevent lots of perfectly qualified foreign doctors from moving to the US and undercutting the current wages, thusly driving down the wages of doctors via free-market competition.
Have you ever actually been to a hospital (teaching or otherwise) in the US? At least half of the doctors are foreign. It's not like it's difficult for a foreign person to come over and get credentialed in the medical field here.

The way the law is described above...it sounds remarkably like a union situation.
― Albert Einstein

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6300|Éire

Pug wrote:

Last night in my poker game - I play with a few doctors.

They all have their own seperate offices and clinics, so I playing with about 8 other business owners.  All of us will be looking forward to an increase in tax when Obama comes aboard.  So here's some quotes for you to consider:

"I'm going to fire two employees if Obama wins.  I can't afford to have these people on staff if the tax increases.  I will actually make more money if I'm in the lower tax bracket.  So I'm going to only work four days a week."

"The healthcare issue is really going to screw us over.  Insurance right now is renegotiating everything already.  With Nationalized health care we're going to see the fees be negotiated even further.  Dealing with the slow-pay of medicare is enough already.  You can't tell me the new system will be anything but slower."

"It was hard enough motivating myself to work 1/3 of the year and give that all to the government.  I'm not looking forward to working a half a year for free."

"I think I might open a clinic on the Canada side of Niagra Falls.  Get married, fuck, and then I'll check your eyes.  Then you can go back to Buffalo, hitched & sticky with glasses, and end up paying less for the whole thing.  I'll have more money that way too."

"Well at least if Obama wins I will see more patients, since healthcare will be universal.  But I'm already booked solid year round, so it looks like they'll just be paying me less and slower."

"I guess I'm unAmerican because I don't want to pay more tax."

As per usual, I was silent.  I don't discuss politics with friends.  Yes, these are doctors.  Yes, they are rich.  Yes, they all have their own businesses.  So do you see the issues of being self-employed within this wonderful election we are having?

Discuss
What's your point Pug... are you asking us to feel sorry for these guys because they might have to take three holidays a year instead of four?
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6383|Kyiv, Ukraine

Braddock wrote:

What's your point Pug... are you asking us to feel sorry for these guys because they might have to take three holidays a year instead of four?
His point was to recycle some repug talking points into a nice fantasy parable/campaign commercial.  It does show just how ignorant some people have become as a result of 30 years of brainwashing in how our taxation system really works and what Reaganomics really was about.

- Progressive taxation gives rich people a disincentive to get richer and discourages the middle-class from "pulling themselves up by their boot straps".  Patently false, progressive taxation has no such incentive inherent.

- Lowering taxes on lower income workers and taxing corporations more will result in price inflation.  Patently false, money supply and liquidity (or lack thereof) drives inflation.  Increasing buying power of the middle and lower classes means booming consumer economy if goods supply is kept stable.

- Taxing the rich means they will create fewer jobs, cutting taxes on the rich means they will create more jobs.  Patently false, see above with money supply and liquidity.  Dry up liquidity, the rich will throw their money to more growing economies.  This theory only works in a vacuum where the rich can only spend/invest money locally, which is not realistic.

- There are many systems of "nationalized healthcare" being proposed.  The one mentioned in the fable above has already been tabled.  Private insurance companies will NOT go quietly into the night in the US.

- Paying taxes is un-patriotic or un-American.  Patently false, this notion should have been destroyed with the Whisky Rebellion.  Of course, nobody pays taxes with a smile on their face regardless of whether they are liberal or conservative.

- Conservatives tax less and spend less.  Liberals tax more and spend more.  False and false.  For the vast majority of Americans, their tax bills have been less under Democratic administrations than under Republican.  Government spending in all sectors has been wildly out of control under Republican administrations compared to Democratic administrations.

- Privatisation of government services is cheaper and more efficient.  False.  In almost no case has this ever panned out.  Doing anything "for profit" in a system where profit should not be a motivation is a recipe for abuse, fraud, manipulation by private interests, and general disaster.

- Deregulation is good!  False.  Regulation is the check and balance of the common man vs. elite interests.  Your government is there to protect you from monopolistic and predatory practices in all regards.  Just as its the duty of a police force to protect you and a fire department to rescue you, it is a government's job to also keep you from being crushed by massive corporate interests at the expense of your personal safety, fruits of your labor, or the future of your children.  Deregulation to allow such interests to take advantage of you in any way is the same as advocating that the police not respond to a robbery in progress.

- Government sucks and is a failure at everything it does and should be drowned in a bath-tub.  Debatable.  However, electing a party that has this as their basic principle is putting people in power that will ensure that your government will suck and will be a failure at everything it does.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6552|Texas - Bigger than France
This thread populated a bit over the weekend...I'm not on during weekends...so I'll get back to a few of these.

@Braddock:
Small businesses will have some incentives for some pretty self-centered and asinine behavour under Obama.  I hope Congress addresses this problem.

@Tictacs:
I'll be responding to you soon.  You aren't getting my point either, although you did have a very long post.  And for christsakes...I play poker with rich folks and never discuss politics outside this forum...this isn't fantasyland stuff.  The main doctor making these points is an idiot, but unfortunately he's right to some degree...
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6300|Éire

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

Braddock wrote:

His point was to recycle some repug talking points into a nice fantasy parable/campaign commercial.  It does show just how ignorant some people have become as a result of 30 years of brainwashing in how our taxation system really works and what Reaganomics really was about.

- Progressive taxation gives rich people a disincentive to get richer and discourages the middle-class from "pulling themselves up by their boot straps".  Patently false, progressive taxation has no such incentive inherent.

- Lowering taxes on lower income workers and taxing corporations more will result in price inflation.  Patently false, money supply and liquidity (or lack thereof) drives inflation.  Increasing buying power of the middle and lower classes means booming consumer economy if goods supply is kept stable.

- Taxing the rich means they will create fewer jobs, cutting taxes on the rich means they will create more jobs.  Patently false, see above with money supply and liquidity.  Dry up liquidity, the rich will throw their money to more growing economies.  This theory only works in a vacuum where the rich can only spend/invest money locally, which is not realistic.

- There are many systems of "nationalized healthcare" being proposed.  The one mentioned in the fable above has already been tabled.  Private insurance companies will NOT go quietly into the night in the US.

- Paying taxes is un-patriotic or un-American.  Patently false, this notion should have been destroyed with the Whisky Rebellion.  Of course, nobody pays taxes with a smile on their face regardless of whether they are liberal or conservative.

- Conservatives tax less and spend less.  Liberals tax more and spend more.  False and false.  For the vast majority of Americans, their tax bills have been less under Democratic administrations than under Republican.  Government spending in all sectors has been wildly out of control under Republican administrations compared to Democratic administrations.

- Privatisation of government services is cheaper and more efficient.  False.  In almost no case has this ever panned out.  Doing anything "for profit" in a system where profit should not be a motivation is a recipe for abuse, fraud, manipulation by private interests, and general disaster.

- Deregulation is good!  False.  Regulation is the check and balance of the common man vs. elite interests.  Your government is there to protect you from monopolistic and predatory practices in all regards.  Just as its the duty of a police force to protect you and a fire department to rescue you, it is a government's job to also keep you from being crushed by massive corporate interests at the expense of your personal safety, fruits of your labor, or the future of your children.  Deregulation to allow such interests to take advantage of you in any way is the same as advocating that the police not respond to a robbery in progress.

- Government sucks and is a failure at everything it does and should be drowned in a bath-tub.  Debatable.  However, electing a party that has this as their basic principle is putting people in power that will ensure that your government will suck and will be a failure at everything it does.
I personally wouldn't vote for a party that believes Government (what they are asking you to elect them to become) is a bad thing. It just seems like buying a car of a guy who doesn't 'trust' automobiles.
PureFodder
+225|6295

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Have you ever actually been to a hospital (teaching or otherwise) in the US? At least half of the doctors are foreign. It's not like it's difficult for a foreign person to come over and get credentialed in the medical field here.

The way the law is described above...it sounds remarkably like a union situation.
Approximately a quarter of all US doctors are foreign, but that is purely because the US doesn't train enough doctors to fill all of the positions. If the US trained enough doctors, with the exception of top of the field world class experts, there would be no foriegn doctors in the US at all. US doctors are entirely shielded from competition with foreign doctors by US government laws.

The fact is that US doctors are paid over twice as much as European averages and multiple times more than most Asian and Indian doctors. The only thing stopping them coming to the US and undercutting the wages of US doctors is the protectionist government.

[EDIT]
The US government even controls the number of US doctors that can be trained.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 … tage_x.htm
The marketplace doesn't determine how many doctors the nation has, as it does for engineers, pilots and other professions. The number of doctors is a political decision, heavily influenced by doctors themselves.

Congress controls the supply of physicians by how much federal funding it provides for medical residencies — the graduate training required of all doctors....Even doctors trained in other countries must serve medical residencies in the USA to practice here.
Train more doctors and it'll bring down the wages of doctors due to increased competition. It's entirely up to the government.

Last edited by PureFodder (2008-10-20 08:14:39)

FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

Bringing down the wages of doctors won't work until there is tort reform. How else will doctors afford ridiculous malpractice insurance payments?
― Albert Einstein

PureFodder
+225|6295

FEOS wrote:

Bringing down the wages of doctors won't work until there is tort reform. How else will doctors afford ridiculous malpractice insurance payments?
It's a good point, typical American doctors are living in the slums of US cities barely making enough money to feed themselves let alone their impoverished families.

http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi/co … l/24/4/903
Surprisingly, U.S. malpractice payments (including both cases that resulted in a judgment for the plaintiff and cases resulting in a settlement) were lower, on average, than those in Canada and the United Kingdom. In 2001 the average payment in the United States was $265,103, which was higher than in Australia but 14 percent below Canada and 36 percent below the United Kingdom.22 While U.S. media and public attention have focused on multimillion-dollar awards at the upper end of the range, the average was actually smaller than in Canada and the United Kingdom in 2001.

Possibly the most important and best summary measure of the magnitude of malpractice awards is total payments divided by total population. On this measure, the United States is only slightly higher than the other three countries: $16 per capita in 2001, compared with $12 in the United Kingdom, $10 in Australia, and $4 in Canada. In all four countries, however, malpractice payments represent less than 0.5 percent of health spending.

These figures do not include the legal costs of defending malpractice claims. Legal costs are estimated to average $27,000 per claim in the United States, which adds approximately $1.4 billion in costs to the $4.4 billion paid in settlements and judgments.23 The costs of underwriting insurance against malpractice claims are estimated at an additional 12 percent, or $700 million.24 The cost of defending U.S. malpractice claims, including awards, legal costs, and underwriting costs, was an estimated $6.5 billion in 2001—0.46 percent of total health spending.

Have claim payments been growing more rapidly in the United States? Between 1996 and 2001, U.S. total malpractice payments grew at an average annual rate of 5 percent over inflation. These increases are commonly blamed for the rapid rise in U.S. malpractice premiums. The growth in malpractice awards was even more rapid in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom: 10–28 percent above inflation (Exhibit 3Go). These rates indicate that malpractice payments are a growing problem in these countries.

Insurance market dynamics and investment return rates also affect malpractice insurance premiums.29 Insurance markets are organized differently in the four countries. British and Canadian physicians are protected from malpractice litigation risks by a single national organization, with premiums subsidized by the government. Australia has a private insurance system more similar to the U.S. system, but the Australian government subsidizes physicians’ malpractice premiums and reinsures high-cost claims. These arrangements may provide more insulation from malpractice insurance market dynamics for physicians in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom than for U.S. physicians.30 Nonetheless, the rapid increases in malpractice costs have stimulated debates over new policies in these countries.
Tort reform will very slightly lower costs. Although it is likely that US doctors need slightly more money to cover their higher insurance costs, there is no way that tort reform is the cause of the high wages of US doctors. Estimated costs of defending tort cases is $6.5 billion and US doctors are paid $80 billion more than the equivalent number of European doctors.

Tort reform is simply not the answer or even a major factor here.
FEOS
+1,182|6421|'Murka

No, there's also massive amounts of college loans that must be paid off, as well.

I'm not saying doctors are barely getting by. They make gobs of money. Never implied otherwise.
― Albert Einstein

PureFodder
+225|6295

FEOS wrote:

No, there's also massive amounts of college loans that must be paid off, as well.

I'm not saying doctors are barely getting by. They make gobs of money. Never implied otherwise.
But the same is true in other countries. US doctors are paid about twice that of European doctors. If this was due to the neccessity of paying off their college fees, their college fees would have to be approximately $2-3 million dollars in excess of the college fees in Europe to account for all of the extra money they get paid, assuming they work for 30 years at the national average wage for a doctor. US doctors earn large amounts of money and neither law suits or college fees even remotely account for the differences in typical US and European doctors pay.

The only sensible reason for the high salaries of US doctors is the lack of competition that is directly due to the number of residencies that congress funds each year.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard