utchin
+8|5919
https://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00061/macboook-picture_61223b.jpg

The 2.0 GHz, 13.3-inch aluminium MacBook is priced at £719. Video is handled by an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics chipset and all the new MacBooks sport the Mini DisplayPort for video output - adapters will be sold separately for driving additional displays, which is now a much more attractive proposition.

There's also a 5400rpm 160GB serial ATA hard drive equipped with Sudden Motion Sensor for drop protection.

The other model is a 2.4GHz mode. It's otherwise the same, except for a bigger 250GB hard drive. Its ticket price is £1,149.

There are build-to-order options, of course - these include the ability to upgrade to 4GB RAM, put in 250GB 5400rpm or 320GB 5400rpm hard drive or even a 128GB solid state drive. There's a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (for the 30-inch DVI display) and a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. You can get an Apple USB Modem, an Apple Remote (which used to come bundled) and an Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter.

New MacBook Pro has two video cards
Source

Last edited by utchin (2008-10-16 13:14:48)

Benzin
+576|6003
That is amazing that they are so expensive in the UK. All they did was change the currency symbol and make the numbers SLIGHTLY different. You Brits just get your money STOLEN from you.
CrazeD
+368|6677|Maine

CapnNismo wrote:

You Brits just get your money STOLEN from you.
Same to anyone that buys Apple.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6202|Winland

CapnNismo wrote:

That is amazing that they are so expensive in the UK. All they did was change the currency symbol and make the numbers SLIGHTLY different. You Brits just get your money STOLEN from you.
It's America's fault. Get your economy straightened out, damn you! I want the USD back into >0.8€, not <0.7 like it is/will be/has been.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6747|London

Wow, what a steal!

lol
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6179|Sydney | ♥

But they are nice looking, may invest.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6667|under there hayousaidunderwear
<3 my macbook
VicktorVauhn
+319|6396|Southern California
I am looking for an honest answer and not just "So they can rape you with adapter costs"...

What is the reason for the mini display port thing? Does any monitor use that naively? Is it some new "we are going to make our own video connection standard"? or is it just slimmer to save space?
majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6667|under there hayousaidunderwear
I believe they made it in respect to the new Cinema Displays....perhaps it adds some type of advantage in picture quality?

Apple wrote:

Mini DisplayPort

The LED Cinema Display connects to your new MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air with the ultracompact Mini DisplayPort connector. Other display connectors have you lining up pins or fumbling with screws. The new Mini DisplayPort connector is easy in, easy out.

Last edited by majorassult (2008-10-16 18:00:56)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6202|Winland

HDMI > that.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6711|67.222.138.85
Do they have something against 7200 rpm drives or something?
jsnipy
+3,276|6527|...

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I was thinking the same. 5400rpm drives are total crap .. like a new BMW330 on the cheapest possible pep boys touring tires.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6396|Southern California

majorassult wrote:

I believe they made it in respect to the new Cinema Displays....perhaps it adds some type of advantage in picture quality?

Apple wrote:

Mini DisplayPort

The LED Cinema Display connects to your new MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air with the ultracompact Mini DisplayPort connector. Other display connectors have you lining up pins or fumbling with screws. The new Mini DisplayPort connector is easy in, easy out.
Ahhh, figured it would be for Mac made monitors.
Defiance
+438|6675

majorassult wrote:

Apple wrote:

Mini DisplayPort

Apparently an HDMI port is difficult to use? This is getting stupid.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

jsnipy wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I was thinking the same. 5400rpm drives are total crap .. like a new BMW330 on the cheapest possible pep boys touring tires.
I've yet to find a laptop with a 7200rpm drive.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6572|NYC / Hamburg

ghettoperson wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

*looks at freezers and my laptop*
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

max wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Then those are the first I've heard of. 5400rpm gives less heat and better battery life anyway.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6760|Scotland

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

People who buy macbooks, generally, do not know what that is.
max
Vela Incident

ghettoperson wrote:

max wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Then those are the first I've heard of. 5400rpm gives less heat and better battery life anyway.
come to think of it, only one of my friends has a 5400RPM laptop. All others have 7200RPM ones
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6776|PNW

ghettoperson wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

You've been looking at all the wrong laptops.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6654

Apparently so. But looking at a random selection of Sony, Toshiba, Acer and Samsung laptops on OCUK, all of them have 5400rpm HDD's.

EDIT: Ditto for MSI. So all the laptop brands that OCUK sell have 5400rpm HDD's. Perhaps 7200rpm drives are not as common as you thought.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2008-10-17 10:06:20)

Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6737|St. Andrews / Oslo

max wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

max wrote:

come to think of it, only one of my friends has a 5400RPM laptop. All others have 7200RPM ones
random dude: hey, wanna be friends?
max: sure
random: sweet
max: how fast is the HDD in your laptop?
random: 7200RPM
max: k.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
max
Vela Incident

lol

<3
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6586|SE London

The new MacBooks are rubbish. No FireWire - which for Macs is a big deal. Glass over the LCD, which is shit - just like on the iMacs (though at least it's a sealed unit - not like on the iMacs, so no spending ages cleaning the dust off the inside of the glass every time you open them), it'll give horrible reflections and get loads and loads of complaints from all those using them for photo or movie editing. Using DDR3 RAM has pushed the price to ridiculous levels (£250 more than an old entry level MacBook) and the 2 (different) GPUs in the MacBook Pro, why?!?!? Just seems like a waste of battery life, 'cos who uses loads of monitors with a laptop?

Fortunately, from the take aparts, they look pretty easy to repair.
rdx-fx
+955|6596

ghettoperson wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Really?

My Lenovo T61p came with a 160GB 7200rpm drive.  And a proper Nvidia Quadro 570m (CAD card, based on Nvidia 8600 chip)

Quick search through N**egg found 23 SATA 3.0 Laptop hard drives at 7200rpm speed.

Even found a 15,000 rpm Serial-Attached-SCSI laptop drive .. but that's just crazy talk.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard