FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Medicaid does cover a lot of the poorest Americans, but there are still plenty of poor people that don't get coverage. The cutoff point can be pretty low in many states.

In NY if you earn over $8,067 per year you have to pay for healthcare yourself, but you're still below the US poverty line of $10,400 per year.
Says the guy who doesn't live here.

It's not just the poor, it's the needy. There are many who qualify based on need, rather than income (mental/physical handicap, for example). The poverty line is not the only criteria when it comes to benefits.
So you're basically saying that yes I'm actually right, there are plenty of poor Americans that can't pay for their own healthcare and that aren't covered by the government plans.
I'm basically saying you're partially right.

However, if you break down the "47 million uninsured" number that keeps getting bantered around, you'll see the number of people who have not chosen to not be covered, do not qualify under Medicare/Medicaid, and cannot afford premiums is MUCH smaller than 47 million.

It's not near the "crisis" or "epidemic" or any other hyperbolic term used by the medical lobby and the press.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Do you really think 'Democracy' has anything to do with it?
Israel is certainly not a democracy, nor a positive influence on the region.
Israel isn't an ally either, more of a leech.
Never expected you (or a select few others) to believe that. But in the end, the truth of it doesn't really rely on what you believe.

Last edited by FEOS (2008-10-07 02:31:49)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
I'm asking if YOU really believe it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm asking if YOU really believe it.
I posted it, didn't I?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats not an answer.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
The strong implication is 'yes'...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

lowing wrote:

I have never said Muslims are taking over either. What I write about, is the constant infringment on western society by outside forces that do not hold western values and morality at heart.
Isn't that the EXACT SAME COMPLAINT that many Muslims have about the Western world... the constant infringement on Islamic society in the Middle East by outside forces that do not hold Islamic values and morality at heart?

You have perfectly exemplified Western hypocrisy with this statement here lowing.

lowing wrote:

I write about use of our own Constitution against us to strip us of out identity via PC, and the denial that it is happening. This is what most concerns me about our society now. The fact that you have to pay as much for gas now, that the rest of the world has been paying for years is not my priorty
I don't like PC, appeasement or special treatment for minorities either but I think our side of the problem is better than theirs... at least we're not being invaded and having our 'regimes' changed by Middle Eastern forces. I also think you grossly overestimate the extent of this so called appeasement but that's not entirely your fault because the media have just basically replaced commies with Muslims and many other people besides you completely buy into it.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Braddock wrote:

I also think you grossly overestimate the extent of this so called appeasement but that's not entirely your fault because the media have just basically replaced commies with Muslims and many other people besides you completely buy into it.
That's largely true. What is surprising is the fact that during the reds under the beds era, Western Policy was to stop the perceived domino effect of Communist countries rising in South East Asia and using proxy wars the combat it. The war on terrorism is being fought the opposite way, with invasion and then following the extremists across borders. A more reactive rather than proactive approach.

But there is still plenty of similarity between the two, and as you pointed out, the generator fear of Muslims as if they all want to topple the free world. Although not something pushed majorly by either political party there's certainly far right wing sources claiming it.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6289|Éire

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Braddock wrote:

I also think you grossly overestimate the extent of this so called appeasement but that's not entirely your fault because the media have just basically replaced commies with Muslims and many other people besides you completely buy into it.
That's largely true. What is surprising is the fact that during the reds under the beds era, Western Policy was to stop the perceived domino effect of Communist countries rising in South East Asia and using proxy wars the combat it. The war on terrorism is being fought the opposite way, with invasion and then following the extremists across borders. A more reactive rather than proactive approach.

But there is still plenty of similarity between the two, and as you pointed out, the generator fear of Muslims as if they all want to topple the free world. Although not something pushed majorly by either political party there's certainly far right wing sources claiming it.
It's scary to think that America (and its lackies) could be going down a cold-war-esque road where they want people to genuinely believe that peaceful co-existence between Muslims and Westerners is simply not possible. Communism was an ideology but Islam is a religion and a way of life and as such that makes this tactic far more dangerous.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

I have never said Muslims are taking over either. What I write about, is the constant infringment on western society by outside forces that do not hold western values and morality at heart.
Isn't that the EXACT SAME COMPLAINT that many Muslims have about the Western world... the constant infringement on Islamic society in the Middle East by outside forces that do not hold Islamic values and morality at heart?

You have perfectly exemplified Western hypocrisy with this statement here lowing.

lowing wrote:

I write about use of our own Constitution against us to strip us of out identity via PC, and the denial that it is happening. This is what most concerns me about our society now. The fact that you have to pay as much for gas now, that the rest of the world has been paying for years is not my priorty
I don't like PC, appeasement or special treatment for minorities either but I think our side of the problem is better than theirs... at least we're not being invaded and having our 'regimes' changed by Middle Eastern forces. I also think you grossly overestimate the extent of this so called appeasement but that's not entirely your fault because the media have just basically replaced commies with Muslims and many other people besides you completely buy into it.
Braddock, we were not in the ME on 911.

I think you bury your head too deep in the sand and refuse to recognise just how intrusive and influential Islam is becoming on the world stage. All at the peril of western society values and morality.

Last edited by lowing (2008-10-07 17:23:34)

FEOS
+1,182|6409|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Thats not an answer.
Yes. It is.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Lowing wrote:

Yes you were, military bases on Saudi soil. That was Bin Laden's primary gripe.
Since 9/11 those bases have been closed, Bin Laden achieved his objective - appeasement much?

FEOS wrote:

Yes. It is.
The question is do YOU believe its in US interests to be backing Israel in the ME, just so you can say 'look, this is what a democracy is', when they have TV and the internet and can check out the political situation in Greenland just as easily as Israel?
And do YOU believe US support of Israel has nothing to do with oil?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-10-08 00:09:04)

PureFodder
+225|6284

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Says the guy who doesn't live here.

It's not just the poor, it's the needy. There are many who qualify based on need, rather than income (mental/physical handicap, for example). The poverty line is not the only criteria when it comes to benefits.
So you're basically saying that yes I'm actually right, there are plenty of poor Americans that can't pay for their own healthcare and that aren't covered by the government plans.
I'm basically saying you're partially right.

However, if you break down the "47 million uninsured" number that keeps getting bantered around, you'll see the number of people who have not chosen to not be covered, do not qualify under Medicare/Medicaid, and cannot afford premiums is MUCH smaller than 47 million.

It's not near the "crisis" or "epidemic" or any other hyperbolic term used by the medical lobby and the press.
I absolutely agree that the 47 million number has turned out to be a big fat pile of bullshit from those advocating a public healthcare system. On the other hand the numbers relating to the people who have healthcare insurance but due co-pays, deductables etc. still can't afford to have healthcare means it's still a major problem.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6372|Kyiv, Ukraine

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

lowing wrote:

I think you bury your head too deep in the sand and refuse to recognise just how intrusive and influential Islam is becoming on the world stage. All at the peril of western society values and morality.
Lets see how far back in history we can go...
The Jews
The Christians
The Jews
The Baby-Eating Jews
The Muslims (Saracens)
The Muslims (Saracens)
The Jews AND the Muslims
The Protestants
The Counter-reformed Catholics
The Indians
The Revolutionaries
The Jews
The Free Blacks
The Chinese ("Gentleman's Agreement")
The Alcoholics
The Communists
The Fascists
The Communists
The Cuban Communists
The Communists
The Uppity Blacks (again!)
The Drug Lords
The Liberals (Gays, Abortionists)
The Muslims

All of these going back about 2000 years were supposed to bring about the end of civilization and pose a serious threat to white/christian supremecy of the world.  It didn't happen.  It won't happen.  Nobody is coming to put a damned burka on your boyfriend's head, chill.

I love how nobody every actually says what "Western values and morality" is...like what are "small town values" or "Christian values", or "American values".  Can you list them out?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
Yes we were...

If it is becoming intrusive, it's because you keep crying bloody murder every time they do something slightly out of line. This just gives them more of the spotlight and a bigger share of political leverage. Treat the radicals as a fringe group and Islam itself as just another religion.

The whiners will cease whining and the radicals cease their incessant yammerings if they realise no one's listening (agh I hate that word).

Last edited by Spark (2008-10-08 01:27:16)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lowing wrote:

Since 9/11 those bases have been closed, Bin Laden achieved his objective - appeasement much?

FEOS wrote:

Yes. It is.
The question is do YOU believe its in US interests to be backing Israel in the ME, just so you can say 'look, this is what a democracy is', when they have TV and the internet and can check out the political situation in Greenland just as easily as Israel?
Not appeasement, Saudi Arabia, after the fall of Saddam, didb't need the US for protection anymore so they basically kicked us out.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

GorillaTicTacs wrote:

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Lets see how far back in history we can go...
The Jews
The Christians
The Jews
The Baby-Eating Jews
The Muslims (Saracens)
The Muslims (Saracens)
The Jews AND the Muslims
The Protestants
The Counter-reformed Catholics
The Indians
The Revolutionaries
The Jews
The Free Blacks
The Chinese ("Gentleman's Agreement")
The Alcoholics
The Communists
The Fascists
The Communists
The Cuban Communists
The Communists
The Uppity Blacks (again!)
The Drug Lords
The Liberals (Gays, Abortionists)
The Muslims

All of these going back about 2000 years were supposed to bring about the end of civilization and pose a serious threat to white/christian supremecy of the world.  It didn't happen.  It won't happen.  Nobody is coming to put a damned burka on your boyfriend's head, chill.

I love how nobody every actually says what "Western values and morality" is...like what are "small town values" or "Christian values", or "American values".  Can you list them out?
Try reading the Constituion of the United States, in it , you will find all of our rights and freedoms that Islam does not adhere to.
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6597|S.C.

lowing wrote:

What?

Ever since the 1991 Gulf war, the US has had about 5,000 troops stationed in Saudi Arabia - a figure that rose to 10,000 during the recent conflict in Iraq.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
Islam forbids banks charging interest on loans.

Sounding better and better to me.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

ATG wrote:

You can get a interest free loan if you buy a Toyota in the US on selected models, must be Mooooslim car dealers across the pond
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command

Varegg wrote:

ATG wrote:

You can get a interest free loan if you buy a Toyota in the US on selected models, must be Mooooslim car dealers across the pond
But that requires...wait for it...

credit.
Which is soooo last year.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

mikeyb118 wrote:

lowing wrote:

What?

Ever since the 1991 Gulf war, the US has had about 5,000 troops stationed in Saudi Arabia - a figure that rose to 10,000 during the recent conflict in Iraq.
Jesus Christ! I was referring to the "invasion".
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6597|S.C.

lowing wrote:

mikeyb118 wrote:

lowing wrote:

What?

Jesus Christ! I was referring to the "invasion".
Well the point still stands that stationed troops are and were a projection of power and influence be it against Iran, Saddam Hussein or anybody else in the ME. Yet when China starts stationing troops in central African states as peacekeepers everybody cries fowl. You still don’t see the hypocrisy?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6670|UK

lowing wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Lowing wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Yes. It is.
Not appeasement, Saudi Arabia, after the fall of Saddam, didb't need the US for protection anymore so they basically kicked us out.
hold on there slick.

They didnt kick you out. Saudi became surplus to requirments because you have a brand spanking new base in the ME ....its called Iraq.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

ATG wrote:

Sadly for the U.K., they seem to have their heads so far up their asses that there is no hope.
That article is exceedingly misleading.

For a start the focus is on non-doms, who are taxed quite leniantly because if they're not, they'll often just piss off somewhere else and they are often people whose presence, on balance, in the country is more beneficial than most. I am very against heavy taxation focused directly on the rich, since I believe it damages the countries economy as a whole - but the assertions made in that article are quite frankly ridiculous.

Nor does it factor in tax credits.

There are a lot of other factors that have been neglected.
GorillaTicTacs
+231|6372|Kyiv, Ukraine

lowing wrote:

Try reading the Constituion of the United States, in it , you will find all of our rights and freedoms that Islam does not adhere to.
I've even named my two kids after guys that wrote it

That's exactly where I'm confused though.  The right-wing has done the most absurdly un-constitutional things in the last 8 years in power.  Torture, invasion of privacy without cause or warrant, "free speech zones", Supreme court deciding elections, partisan use of executive power and privelege, "the Cheney Branch", voter disenfranchising, purely executive war-making power, military tribunals in civilian cases without due process...

Go back to St. Ronnie's constitutional overthrow in the name of the War on Drugs.  At least when Nixon did it, he knew he was breaking the law and doing the wrong thing.  The current crop of assholes actually thinks this is all their god-given right.

So which rights and freedoms does Islam not adhere that the Christian right or corporate right or neocon doctrine adhere to?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard