Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

New Launch Date Friday November 14th: 14 November 2008 17:55:00 EST
For years, STS-126 has been planned as the mission that will give the International Space Station the ability to support twice the crew currently living there.
Consider the following "What might have been". The Hubble Servicing Mission has been rescheduled for February. The mission of STS-126 is to deliver supplies to the ISS.

Atlantis Astronauts Gear Up for Risky Hubble Mission
https://i38.tinypic.com/140mbu8.jpg
The space shuttle Endeavour rolled out to a Florida launching pad early Friday to serve as a rescue craft for its sister ship Atlantis
in what is expected to be the last time in history that NASA has two orbiters in launch position at the same time.

NASA is preparing to launch seven astronauts aboard Atlantis next month on the final service call to the Hubble Space Telescope, where the spaceflyers plan to perform five back-to-back spacewalks to install new cameras, replace aging batteries, gyroscopes and other components, add a docking ring and make tricky repairs to equipment never designed for in-flight maintenance.

Making Hubble More Powerful Than Ever

A container packed with the spare parts and new instruments for Hubble will be delivered to Atlantis atop its launch pad late Saturday after a slight delay so engineers could clean up contamination in one of the cargo elements. The orbital overhaul is expected to extend the 18-year-old Hubble's mission through at least 2013.

https://i38.tinypic.com/301zgpf.jpg
This view shows storm clouds gathering over Launch Complex 39 at NASA's Kennedy Space Center on July 29th, 2008, a common occurrence at this time of the year in Florida. The 525-foot-tall Vehicle Assembly Building towers above the complex, in the center, with the Launch Control Center nestled at its base to the right. The turn basin is behind the trees, at right.

But unlike recent missions to the International Space Station, where shuttle crews had the option of awaiting rescue aboard the outpost if their spacecraft suffered critical heat shield damage, Atlantis astronauts have no such safety net because they must fly higher and in a different orbit than the station to reach Hubble.

Instead, NASA plans to have Endeavour and a skeleton crew of four astronauts standing by in the unlikely event Atlantis' heat shield is damaged beyond repair and the orbiter is unable to return to Earth. Under that plan, Endeavour would rendezvous with Atlantis and astronauts would stage a series of three spacewalks to retrieve the Hubble astronauts before discarding the stricken spacecraft.

"They would come up and they'd rendezvous with us," explained Atlantis shuttle pilot Gregory C. Johnson in a NASA interview. "We would grapple each other, robotic arm to robotic arm, essentially, and then would transfer crew members between the shuttles."

NASA mission managers and Atlantis astronauts consider the rescue plan an extremely unlikely scenario and are confident their mission will go as planned. Once Atlantis and its crew return safely to Earth, NASA will move Endeavour from Pad 39B to Pad 39A for its planned Nov. 12 launch to haul fresh supplies and equipment to the International Space Station.

Service Mission 4: The essentials

Cool SM4 Pictures

STS-125/Atlantis
Target Launch Date: October 14
Target Launch Time: 12:43 a.m. EDT
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Kmarion wrote:

...the spaceflyers plan to perform five back-to-back spacewalks to install new cameras, replace aging batteries, gyroscopes and other components, add a docking ring and make tricky repairs to equipment never designed for in-flight maintenance.
Solar cells still not an option for NASA? lol I hope they are replacing the old batteries with greener technology.

We've already put enough pollution into orbit as it is.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

I hope to god you're joking.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

No Karmarion. I'm really worried about the endangered species living in Earths exosphere.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Energy Source: The Sun
Mechanism: Two 25-foot solar panels
Power usage: 2,800 watts
http://hubblesite.org/the_telescope/hub … _facts.php
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6665|Canberra, AUS
I hope that they have a replacement orbiter planned, at the very least. Bit of a gap if they don't have a Space Shuttle Mk II or something.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Tetrino
International OMGWTFBBQ
+200|6721|Uhh... erm...

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

...the spaceflyers plan to perform five back-to-back spacewalks to install new cameras, replace aging batteries, gyroscopes and other components, add a docking ring and make tricky repairs to equipment never designed for in-flight maintenance.
Solar cells still not an option for NASA? lol I hope they are replacing the old batteries with greener technology.

Freezer wrote:

It can't be in the sun at all times. It needs something to store the energy when it's on the dark side of the earth.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Sarcasm people.

Learn to detect it.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5972|Toronto
But...what if Endeavor's heat shield fails too? Uh-oh!
I like pie.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6438|Boulder, CO

TSI wrote:

Then these guys step into the breach.

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6437|Chicago, IL

TSI wrote:

time to start patching things up with Russia then...
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6303

https://www.nasa.gov/images/content/271560main_08pd2730.jpg
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Huh? The source is still The Sun, and it always has been. It's just that the batteries which store the energy are starting to grow old. Also battery technology has improved like a motherfucker since the Hubble was launched. So these new ones will be way better. More efficient and all that.

It'll be interesting to see just how awesome the new and improved Hubble will be. Sounds like they're giving it quite a big upgrade.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Tetrino wrote:

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Freezer wrote:

It can't be in the sun at all times. It needs something to store the energy when it's on the dark side of the earth.
Exactly. The batteries are just for storing the energy.
Power Storage
Batteries: 6 nickel-hydrogen (NiH)
Storage Capacity: equal to 20 car batteries
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spidery_Yoda
+399|6261

Noobeater wrote:

TSI wrote:

Then these guys step into the breach.

Made my day.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida
Massive waste of money
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Spearhead wrote:

Massive waste of money
Been through this..

New metals, crystals and films, new fabrics, medicines and medical devices, detailed Earth maps,
improved weather studies, Hundreds of thousands of people have their jobs linked one way or the other to NASA, Cellular tech, TV tech, oh yea and Velcro.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/ed … cher_x.htm

NASA also recoups a lot of it's it's expenses by selling copyrights, patents, and royalties.

There are a few dedicated topic in DAST if you want to search for them.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Epic.
Space shuttle Atlantis (foreground) sits on Launch Pad A and Endeavour on Launch Pad B at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. At the left of each shuttle are the open rotating service structures with the payload changeout rooms revealed. The rotating service structures provide protection for weather and access to the shuttle.

For the first time since July 2001, two shuttles are on the launch pads at the same time. Endeavour will stand by at pad B in the unlikely event that a rescue mission is necessary during Atlantis' upcoming STS-125 mission to repair NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. The missions is slated to launch Oct. 10.

After Endeavour is cleared from its duty as a rescue spacecraft, it will be moved to Launch Pad 39A for its STS-126 mission to the International Space Station. That flight is targeted for launch Nov. 12.

From the NASA image of the day.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6618|UK

Kmarion wrote:

Epic.
That's a cool picture!
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6736|Houston, TX
Agreed.  That's one awesome pic.

KJ
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6428|Germany
Does that mean they are saving Hubble?

Thank you NASA!
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6736|Houston, TX
Just spoke with a colleague on site.  I might just have to go and see this launch.  Never seen one before.  I get goose bumps thinking about the feeling that hits your chest when the rockets fire...

KJ
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6280|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

knowing how embry-riddle is, everyone's probably going to stop and watch if and when they see the smoke trail in the sky
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6528|Long Island, New York

cowami wrote:

knowing how embry-riddle is, everyone's probably going to stop and watch if and when they see the smoke trail in the sky
I'm gonna visit Florida in April 2010 to see the last launch as well as visit ER.

I've only seen one, and it was Columbia in 2002. Saw it from Disney World.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6591|132 and Bush

Kung Jew wrote:

Just spoke with a colleague on site.  I might just have to go and see this launch.  Never seen one before.  I get goose bumps thinking about the feeling that hits your chest when the rockets fire...

KJ
Make sure you pay attention to the date. It was just postponed. "..no sooner than Oct. 14 "
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/08 … edule.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard