BVC
+325|6687

rdx-fx wrote:

Your image of Alaska is slightly off-base.  To illustrate, let me paint a similar caricature of something more familiar to you;

Ireland is a largely unpopulated rainy, dreary island of drunks, Leprechauns, psychotic redheaded nymphomaniac women, and authors of inscrutably dense literature.  People are given a free beer mug at birth, such is the depressing, rainy, dreary nature of the island.  It's essentially the abused step-child of the United Kingdom (hence the term "beaten like a redheaded step-child").  It is monotonous and devoid of any redeeming qualities.  What primarily happens there is this:

- People try to read Ulysses, Finnegan's Wake, or Portrait of the Artist
- People get really really drunk, hoping that the above works will make more sense
- People pick random fights with strangers in pubs (usually revolving around disagreements about which is their favorite shade of green)
- People get even more drunk

It is not Europe, America, or any of the more interesting places to visit.  Nobody really needs to do anything but drink, fight, drink, procreate, fight more, steal foreigner's Lucky Charms, and bitch about every other english-speaking countries' problems but their own - loudly, and in as many varieties of media as they can manage to poke their thick stubby fingers into.
So let me get this straight.  In Ireland theres booze, fights, poetry, leprechauns and redheaded nymphos?  How exactly does one get into Ireland again?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

rdx-fx wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Alaska is a largely unpopulated wilderness of ice, tundra, mountains, oil and polar bears. People are given tax breaks to move there, such is the lack of appeal the place has. It's essentially a welfare state in a country that prides itself and characterises itself on being the opposite. It is devoid of innovation - what primarily happens there is this:

- People fish crabs, lobsters, etc.
- People drill oil wells and pump oil.
- People cut down trees.

It is not Massachessetts - it does not give America an MIT or a Harvard. It is not New York - it does not give America global financial clout. It is not Chicago - it does not give America classic architecture and a wealth of musical heritage. All Alaska is about is extraction of resources from the sea or the ground. Nobody really needs to think about what they're doing - drill, chop, throw nets overboard. Simple as that.
Your image of Alaska is slightly off-base.  To illustrate, let me paint a similar caricature of something more familiar to you;

Ireland is a largely unpopulated rainy, dreary island of drunks, Leprechauns, psychotic redheaded nymphomaniac women, and authors of inscrutably dense literature.  People are given a free beer mug at birth, such is the depressing, rainy, dreary nature of the island.  It's essentially the abused step-child of the United Kingdom (hence the term "beaten like a redheaded step-child").  It is monotonous and devoid of any redeeming qualities.  What primarily happens there is this:

- People get really really drunk, hoping that the above works will make more sense
- People pick random fights with strangers in pubs (usually revolving around disagreements about which is their favorite shade of green)

It is not Europe, America, or any of the more interesting places to visit.  Nobody really needs to do anything but drink, fight, drink, procreate, fight more, steal foreigner's Lucky Charms, and bitch about every other english-speaking countries' problems but their own - loudly, and in as many varieties of media as they can manage to poke their thick stubby fingers into.
Largely unpopulated? Ireland's population per km2 - 79, America's population per km2 - 31
Rainy and dreary? Damn straight. http://www.weatherreports.com/Ireland/D … rages.html
An island? Certainly.
Drunks? And how! Second only to the Czech Republic in terms of per capita beer consumption (they cheat by drinking at work).
Redheaded? Second highest proportion of any nation. And yes, I have red hair.
Leprechauns? Fictional characters i.e., they're not real.
Psychotic? I can't find a good mental health statistics page, I'll keep searching.
Drink? Covered above.
Procreate? Yes, we have a positive population growth rate.
Make money out of tourism? Lots.
Fight? We took a few medals in boxing at the Olympics yes.
Relation to United Kingdom? Zero. We are a sovereign democratic republic.
Monotonous and devoid of redeeming qualities? That's purely subjective.
Rich literary heritage? Yes, James Joyce and several other reknowned authors hail from Ireland.
Bitching about other countries problems but their own? Don't read Irish newspapers much I take it. They just spent the last 5 years hounding the Taoiseach out of office for alleged financial irregularities.
Interesting place to visit? Over 6 million Americans a year seem to think so!

ftr The breakfast cereal 'Lucky Charms' are not available in Ireland.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-09-24 05:01:27)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

Come off it Cam, he got it dead on!
Goddam Czechs, thats just not fair.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

CameronPoe wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Alaska is a largely unpopulated wilderness of ice, tundra, mountains, oil and polar bears. People are given tax breaks to move there, such is the lack of appeal the place has. It's essentially a welfare state in a country that prides itself and characterises itself on being the opposite. It is devoid of innovation - what primarily happens there is this:

- People fish crabs, lobsters, etc.
- People drill oil wells and pump oil.
- People cut down trees.

It is not Massachessetts - it does not give America an MIT or a Harvard. It is not New York - it does not give America global financial clout. It is not Chicago - it does not give America classic architecture and a wealth of musical heritage. All Alaska is about is extraction of resources from the sea or the ground. Nobody really needs to think about what they're doing - drill, chop, throw nets overboard. Simple as that.

Largely unpopulated? Ireland's population per km2 - 79, America's population per km2 - 31
Rainy and dreary? Damn straight. http://www.weatherreports.com/Ireland/D … rages.html
An island? Certainly.
Drunks? And how! Second only to the Czech Republic in terms of per capita beer consumption (they cheat by drinking at work).
Redheaded? Second highest proportion of any nation. And yes, I have red hair.
Leprechauns? Fictional characters i.e., they're not real.
Psychotic? I can't find a good mental health statistics page, I'll keep searching.
Drink? Covered above.
Procreate? Yes, we have a positive population growth rate.
Make money out of tourism? Lots.
Fight? We took a few medals in boxing at the Olympics yes.
Relation to United Kingdom? Zero. We are a sovereign democratic republic.
Monotonous and devoid of redeeming qualities? That's purely subjective.
Rich literary heritage? Yes, James Joyce and several other reknowned authors hail from Ireland.
Bitching about other countries problems but their own? Don't read Irish newspapers much I take it. They just spent the last 5 years hounding the Taoiseach out of office for alleged financial irregularities.
Interesting place to visit? Over 6 million Americans a year seem to think so!
yawn Cam.  is that the best you got?  i guess we could compare and show how south chicago is still a dump no matter how much money (pork) obama got for it.

maybe since we are playing the "useless" game, lets look where you come from and see if your opinion and ideas matter.

Ireland:

Invent and Produce any cars ever and sell them worldwide?  No
Airplanes?  No
Space?  Nope
GPS?  Nope
Internet?  Nah
--------
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

FEOS wrote:

You missed the point I was making. Anyone can demean another's accomplishments, which is what you did with Palin. You made a series of posts that are woefully below your normal high standards. You've resorted to stereotyping, name-calling, and just plain meanness. Just because you don't like a VP candidate for a country that you don't live in. So I made a similar ridiculous comment about your president...whose bona fides are not as different from Palin's as you would like to believe. Your president had no executive experience before becoming president...Palin has, and she's running for the #2 job, at that.

What does her beauty pageant history have to do with anything? Is she claiming it as a credential? No. You are getting wound up about aspects of her life that she does not trumpet...and those that she does, you are dismissing via stereotyping, generalization, and basic oversight/ignorance of basic facts.

As to the globalization argument, I fully realize it is a global economy. I believe I stated that rather unambiguously. I will never (even colloquially) call myself a citizen of any entity but the United States of America...."citizen" being the key word.
Likewise I wouldn't regard myself as a 'citizen' of the world either. The term doesn't properly relate to the sentiment that was being expressed (and was introduced by another poster).

What exactly has she accomplished? There are some vary simple factual items that confirm for me that she is what I would regard as being unfit for being a heartbeat from a very powerful office. She has had a passport since 2007: last year. Alarm bells! She has visited three other countries in her lifetime (presumably in the past year, Canada aside). That reminds me of a certain someone: George 'Worst President Ever' Bush. She was governor of Alaska - an oil rich mostly barren state. Sounds a bit like someone else I know: George 'Turn the rest of the world against America' Bush. She wears her faith on her sleeve and sees no issue with religion and politics mingling. Sounds a bit like someone else I know: George 'Mission from God' Bush. The list goes on.

Essentially for me, unless someone can meaningfully indicate otherwise, Sarah Palin is George W. Bush with a vagina. I have been terse and unkind with my language, perhaps a measure of how angry and horrified I am with the situation.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-09-24 05:40:41)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

usmarine wrote:

Ireland:

Invent and Produce any cars ever and sell them worldwide?  No
Airplanes?  No
Space?  Nope
GPS?  Nope
Internet?  Nah
--------
Invent cars? Nope that was Germany.
Produce cars and sell them worldwide? Nope why bother. The Japs and Germans are the experts and importing the steel necessary would mean building cars here would be uncompetitive, as witnessed with the demise of DeLorean.
Invent airplanes? Nope. We were kind of preoccupied with getting the Brits out.
Space? As far as I know space has been around forever, it didn't need somebody to invent it. Oh and if you find anything interesting on Mars or the Moon be sure to let us know...
GPS? Nope.
Internet? Invented by the British computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee, so you're right: no.

Oh and if my little piece of land is so useless then why are the Google and Intel European HQs here. Seems odd...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

nice try cam.  you fail and try to be cute, but your country is useless, so your opinion is useless.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6734|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

usmarine wrote:

nice try cam.  you fail and try to be cute, but your country is useless, so your opinion is useless.
Ireland is one of the world leaders in pharmaceuticals  - a tiny little Island that produces 7 of the top 10 Medications in the world!
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

usmarine wrote:

What did you invent ?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

usmarine wrote:

lewl

Do useless tiny nations have a Gross National Product of $122bn? We buy $7.7bn of your goods annually. Per capita each person in man, woman and child in Ireland spends on average about $2000 on American goods. If we're so useless then why have 600 subsidiaries of US companies set up shop here in Ireland, among them: Intel, Dell, Microsoft, Wyeth Medica, IBM, Google, Abbott Laboraties, Boston Scientific and Pfizer? Explain that one.

PS What did I call useless? Alaska has plenty of uses: oil, wood, seals, lobsters, crabs, etc.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-09-24 05:36:37)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

Varegg wrote:

usmarine wrote:

What did you invent ?
what did cam invent?  did he start intel?

point it, you shouldnt call anything useless when your country is not involved in any important ventutres.  i am not just talking about inventions.  space exploration, car manufacturing, airplanes, etc.  he brought up inventions.  so stop defending your boy and maybe tell him to stop his usless posts about alaska since they dont mean shit.  or maybe to be fair and balanced he should compare that to the south side of chicago.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

usmarine wrote:

he brought up inventions.
When did I bring up inventions? Pinpoint the exact sentence.
Varegg
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

usmarine wrote:

Varegg wrote:

usmarine wrote:

What did you invent ?
what did cam invent?  did he start intel?

point it, you shouldnt call anything useless when your country is not involved in any important ventutres.  i am not just talking about inventions.  space exploration, car manufacturing, airplanes, etc.  he brought up inventions.  so stop defending your boy and maybe tell him to stop his usless posts about alaska since they dont mean shit.  or maybe to be fair and balanced he should compare that to the south side of chicago.
It's just that you have the most horrid accusations sometimes taken totally out of context, besides he didn't call Alaska useless ... on the other hand you called his country useless without any info showing why ... because Ireland didn't invent the internet, well neither did yours ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

i wasnt comparing my country to his egg.  just pointing out how stupid his comparisions and name calling is.  but, ofc you have no issue with that.
Varegg
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

usmarine wrote:

i wasnt comparing my country to his egg.  just pointing out how stupid his comparisions and name calling is.  but, ofc you have no issue with that.
Of course you may call his conclusions stupid but you don't back up your statements or rebut his ... you start attacking the flaws of his country that really doesn't concern the OP at all ...

If i where to start delete all posts where you two call eachother names there wouldn't be much left in the DST section ...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

Varegg wrote:

but you don't back up your statements or rebut his
bull fucking shit.  i am so sick of hearing that.  i have said my bit to him, yet he continues to name call like a little kid (which you allow) and talk about a state like it is meaningless.
Varegg
+2,206|6802|Nårvei

usmarine wrote:

Varegg wrote:

bull fucking shit.  i am so sick of hearing that.  i have said my bit to him, yet he continues to name call like a little kid (which you allow) and talk about a state like it is meaningless.
If you hear that so often maybe it's time to do something about it ?

I allow no more name calling that the other mods but as mentioned most posts in DST would be gone if deleted because of namecalling and you in particular are in the top 10 when it comes to name calling anyways so why complain about it ...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Invent and Produce any cars ever and sell them worldwide?  Germany, Britain.
Airplanes?  Germany again, jet engine was invented in Britain.
Space?  Russia - first in pretty much everything apart from the moon, the geosynchronous satellite was invented by Arther C Clarke - a Brit.
GPS?  Based on British and German WW2 rangefinding and location technology and the original Sputnik.
Internet?  Switzerland.

The Americans are very good at inventing - the idea that they invented stuff.

Got anything else Marine?
PS US cars suck, I guess thats why y'all buy Toyota.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France
I'd like to refute Cam's OP, but it's directed to the non-American members of this forum.

Rats.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6511|Πάϊ

Pug wrote:

I'd like to refute Cam's OP, but it's directed to the non-American members of this forum.

Rats.
pm me and i'll quote you

problem solved

edit: our names are the same anyway. Well more or less...

Last edited by oug (2008-09-24 08:05:20)

ƒ³
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6349|CA, USA
For the record, the internet was NOT invented by Tim Berners-Lee.  He came up with the idea of hypertext and its application into the browser making the WWW a physical reality and shorter mental jump for the average person to use the infrastructure.  Certainly a great accomplishment but clearly not inventing the infrastructure called 'internet'.  The internet was developed as early as the 60s through DARPA

http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/history/inventednet.html
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6758|UK

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

For the record, the internet was NOT invented by Tim Berners-Lee.  He came up with the idea of hypertext and its application into the browser making the WWW a physical reality and shorter mental jump for the average person to use the infrastructure.  Certainly a great accomplishment but clearly not inventing the infrastructure called 'internet'.  The internet was developed as early as the 60s through DARPA

lol did you just call a LAN the internet? DARPA invented networks. That's not hard to do tbh lots of people were trying the same thing at that time, DARPA was just first, making the protocols etc are what make the internet, not the hardware.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command

Varegg wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Varegg wrote:

If you hear that so often maybe it's time to do something about it ?

I allow no more name calling that the other mods but as mentioned most posts in DST would be gone if deleted because of namecalling and you in particular are in the top 10 when it comes to name calling anyways so why complain about it ...
usmarine is a name calling name caller.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France

oug wrote:

Pug wrote:

Rats.
pm me and i'll quote you

problem solved

edit: our names are the same anyway. Well more or less...
I'm staying out of this one actually.  Most of OP is opinion, as well as the title "Doom".  There's no room left to debate, and I'm not willing to go "full retard" today.

It's a brilliant post from an earlier closed topic. http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=110460

There's not much difference between the two.  I would have perfered the closed topic over this one...links to references make me dizzy.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6349|CA, USA

Vilham wrote:

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

lol did you just call a LAN the internet? DARPA invented networks. That's not hard to do tbh lots of people were trying the same thing at that time, DARPA was just first, making the protocols etc are what make the internet, not the hardware.
and these protocols (mentioned in the link) were not invented by Tim Berners-Lee.  Vint Cerf (and others) are the ones with the protocol background.  of course, without the infrastructure started by DARPA, you can have all the fancy protocols you want and still couldn't do much.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard