lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Reinvestment_Act

This is the reason for the economical crisis.

Thanks to govt. interference it bame law to offer loans to undeserving people...Guess which party pushed for this bullshit? Guess who going to pay for all of it now..
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

Well the Dems wanted to ensure affordable housing. That's all fine and noble.. slamming everyones home value into the ground is one way of doing it I guess. This is the action I explained a couple days ago.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA
Well, it is time the real reason for all of this shit is known, and it isn't the evil banks giving out bad loans, it is law that was pressed into action by the democrats to yet again coddle the irresponsible. Now everyone else has to flip the bill for all of this shit. Go figure. but hey, it is the "nieghborly" thing to do I guess
chittydog
less busy
+586|6833|Kubra, Damn it!

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?art … ime_crisis

article wrote:

It is hard to blame CRA for the mortgage meltdown when CRA doesn't even apply to most of the loans that are behind it. As the University of Michigan's Michael Barr points out, half of sub-prime loans came from those mortgage companies beyond the reach of CRA. A further 25 to 30 percent came from bank subsidiaries and affiliates, which come under CRA to varying degrees but not as fully as banks themselves. (With affiliates, banks can choose whether to count the loans.) Perhaps one in four sub-prime loans were made by the institutions fully governed by CRA.

Most important, the lenders subject to CRA have engaged in less, not more, of the most dangerous lending. Janet Yellen, president of the San Francisco Federal Reserve, offers the killer statistic: Independent mortgage companies, which are not covered by CRA, made high-priced loans at more than twice the rate of the banks and thrifts.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553
Wow what a retarded piece of legislation. People across the world are now paying for that legislation, put forward by the supposed bastion of free market economy. What is even more galling is that there were 31 years of government following it that never reversed the fucking thing. My dad would never have qualified for a mortgage - he had to build his house with his own money and his own two hands.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-09-19 11:47:31)

deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6491|Connecticut

CameronPoe wrote:

Wow what a retarded piece of legislation. People across the world are now paying for that legislation, put forward by the supposed bastion of free market economy. What is even more galling is that there were 31 years of government following it that never reversed the fucking thing. My dad would never have qualified for a mortgage - he had to build his house with his own money and his own two hands.
If I built my own home it would look like a 2000 sq ft porta potty, props to your old man. I was introduced to financial investing early fortunately, when I was a teenager. My mom being a financial guru for Prudential is how I got turned on to investing. Ya know, not for nothing but I probably wouldn't be able to afford my own home either if I didn't play the market like I do. I make a little shy of 80 per year and my wife is a nurse so she does about the same with OT but after the mortgage is paid and the savings account is fed there isn't a whole lot left. If it werent for me hitting big in the market back in '02 we probably couldn't afford to buy our dream home we live in now. But I am convinced  that in these tough times there is still money to be made and shame on you to folks who don't save and use the economy as an excuse. People are so fucking irresponsible with their money and they are to quick to blame their government for failing them when they cry poor but drive $40,000 SUV's. I'm 29 years old and I see people my age or in their 30's and 40's who have no assets, no property, no collateral, no savings and no fucking plan for their retirement. It makes me sick. They need to stop looking to others for solutions and look in the mirror at their own fiscal irresponsibility. That is 90% of why I am Republican. I want a small govt who will allow me to take my money and improve my quality of life on my terms. Social services do nothing for me, absolutely nothing. I pay my property taxes however, the only two services I probably use are the trash pick up and the roadways. My child is going to be in private school, we own our own cars so no need for trans (suburbs), I have more firearms than the police perhaps, etc. I just wish people would start taking care of themselves for once.
Malloy must go
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

McCain
Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005
"I join as a cosponsor of the Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005, S. 190, to underscore my support for quick passage of GSE regulatory reform legislation. If Congress does not act, American taxpayers will continue to be exposed to the enormous risk that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac pose to the housing market, the overall financial system, and the economy as a whole"
Bill Summary

1/26/2005--Introduced. Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005 - Amends the Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 to establish: (1) in lieu of the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), an independent Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Agency which shall have authority over the Federal Home Loan Bank Finance Corporation, the Federal Home Loan Banks, the Federal National Mortgage Association (Fannie Mae), and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac); and (2) the Federal Housing Enterprise Board. Sets forth operating, administrative, and regulatory provisions of the Agency, including provisions respecting: (1) assessment authority; (2) authority to limit nonmission-related assets; (3) minimum and critical capital levels; (4) risk-based capital test; (5) capital classifications and undercapitalized enterprises; (6) enforcement actions and penalties; (7) golden parachutes; and (8) reporting. Amends the Federal Home Loan Bank Act to establish the Federal Home Loan Bank Finance Corporation. Transfers the functions of the Office of Finance of the Federal Home Loan Banks to such Corporation. Excludes the Federal Home Loan Banks from certain securities reporting requirements. Abolishes the Federal Housing Finance Board.
Obama
http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/Barac … 22408.html
Let's have a hearing to see if predatory mortgage fraud disproportionately affects poor and black residents.
Change.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

lowing wrote:

Thanks to govt. interference it bame law to offer loans to undeserving people...Guess which party pushed for this bullshit? Guess who going to pay for all of it now..
yes, i mentioned that in the ATG silence thread.  ofc all i get is silence from the left.  lulz
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6355|CA, USA
Lowing:  read Dick Morris' book 'Fleeced'.  i just finished it.  it has a whole chapter covering the sub-prime mortgage stuff.  other chapters related to foreign lobbyists and unions are interesting too.  the book is not all clinton bashing either - he picks on mccain as well. 

after reading it i got really ticked at both parties because of the blatant theivery and greed going on.  what ever happened to integrity?  Fortunately most if not all chapters have an 'action agenda' summary that tells you what can be done from the standpoint of an ordinary citizen.  mostly it involves writing certain congressmen, etc.  he even gives out their addresses and phone numbers!  hahah

Last edited by CaptainSpaulding71 (2008-09-19 15:28:50)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6220|Brisneyland
Deleted due to authors ignorance

Last edited by Burwhale the Avenger (2008-09-19 20:49:31)

SealXo
+309|6534

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

Lowing:  read Dick Morris' book 'Fleeced'.  i just finished it.  it has a whole chapter covering the sub-prime mortgage stuff.  other chapters related to foreign lobbyists and unions are interesting too.  the book is not all clinton bashing either - he picks on mccain as well. 

after reading it i got really ticked at both parties because of the blatant theivery and greed going on.  what ever happened to integrity?  Fortunately most if not all chapters have an 'action agenda' summary that tells you what can be done from the standpoint of an ordinary citizen.  mostly it involves writing certain congressmen, etc.  he even gives out their addresses and phone numbers!  hahah
great book
Reciprocity
+721|6579|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Blame the Government?  I thought lowing was the personal responsibility guy.  Did John McCain care about this before 2005?  By '05 the die had already been cast, the bubble was completely inflated and showing the first signs of failure.  He and Obama were reacting to the shitstorm that was already swirling and gaining momentum.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6740|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
"buy to let " rather than to live In is what caused the bubble here, giving people loans to buy more property on equity that they in fact didn't own in the first place inflating the market - in other words GREED! and hell rub it up them because now they are sitting in negative equity up to their eyeballs in debt and as of next year will have to also pay rates on empty properties to add insult to injury, fuck 'em..
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553

IG-Calibre wrote:

"buy to let " rather than to live In is what caused the bubble here, giving people loans to buy more property on equity that they in fact didn't own in the first place inflating the market - in other words GREED! and hell rub it up them because now they are sitting in negative equity up to their eyeballs in debt and as of next year will have to also pay rates on empty properties to add insult to injury, fuck 'em..
Ye fucker - how'd you manage to get All Ireland tickets!?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6409|'Murka

CameronPoe wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

He short-sold some Lehman Brothers stock.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6740|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

CameronPoe wrote:

IG-Calibre wrote:

I was lucky enough in the local clubs lottery..
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

lowing wrote:

No it's not.

Money is artificially created by the FED - it's not tied to traditional and historical commodities like gold, silver, or a solid industrial and/or labor base.  The dollars relative strength (and our economy) against others has taken decent hits in the last 10 years due to a number of factors, a few being: the formation of the Euro; the willingness of resource-rich countries accepting currencies other than the dollar, effectively lowering the amount of dollars other countries need to hoard to buy those resources; increasing debt-spending on many levels including by government nationally and the public personally; predatory lending and over-eagerness to buy; the increasing actions of multinational corporations to move labor and industry overseas; Complicity by the government on many levels.

You can't have fundamental problems to a system then blame one piece of legislation resultant from that system as the reason why the system is failing.  Well, I guess you can if you use a peanut you found in the pantry in place of your brain.

Don't be an idiot lowing.  The government and mega rich corporations are in bed with each other to benefit themselves and their power-elite circle.  The middle-class acts as a buffer between the power-elite and poor, which is why such massive efforts are undertaken to sway popular opinion (which seems to work on feeble-minded fools like you) - to keep that buffer healthy.  These type of economic 'crises' largely affect only the upper-middle class and lower, with no real negative affect on the mega rich.  You think the CEO of Lehman gives a fuck that he ran a 150-year old company into the ground?  You think the CEO of Lehman gives a fuck if people are losing their life savings because of business practices he and the board of directors (other power players) implemented?  You think he is having money problems, credit issues, in jeopardy of accountability?  Naw, you'd rather blame a group of lame-duck politicians who are actually doing the bidding of the power-elite because you've swallowed all the bullshit Rush Limbaugh and mainstream media (plus your own little whacked-out internet press lists) have fed you for the last 20 years.

The government IS the problem, just not the one little faction of it that you like to demonize.  It's not the action that you describe as the problem (CRA), its other action and inaction on many different levels across many different institutions.

PS - I'm feeling a little sardonic today I guess.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-09-20 12:25:12)

Marinejuana
local
+415|6583|Seattle
<3
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6760

yes but the root cause of this whole snowball is, was, and will always be because of the CRA and HUD.  not sure how you can argue that.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6355|CA, USA
Was watching the news a few days ago and this guy Dennis Prager came up with an interesting concept of allowing people to withdraw from their 401k early (tax free) to pay for their homes and that this might be used to avoid a mortgage bailout.  personally i always thought of doing this since i could reduce my mortgage considerably using this tactic and i'm still relatively young (37) so i have time to rebuild retirement through another 401k.  i have other investments besides so i'm not too worried there.

on the other hand, this might have repurcussions of mass people withdrawing all that money from mutual fund accounts. and of course how many people who are barely getting by actually have retirement savings to withdraw?

still i think it would be neat to explore

Last edited by CaptainSpaulding71 (2008-09-21 07:48:52)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6540|Texas - Bigger than France

CaptainSpaulding71 wrote:

Was watching the news a few days ago and this guy Dennis Prager came up with an interesting concept of allowing people to withdraw from their 401k early (tax free) to pay for their homes and that this might be used to avoid a mortgage bailout.  personally i always thought of doing this since i could reduce my mortgage considerably using this tactic and i'm still relatively young (37) so i have time to rebuild retirement through another 401k.  i have other investments besides so i'm not too worried there.

on the other hand, this might have repurcussions of mass people withdrawing all that money from mutual fund accounts. and of course how many people who are barely getting by actually have retirement savings to withdraw?

still i think it would be neat to explore
You can "borrow" from your 401k for certain items, like buying your first house or if you have come down with an illness which requires some funds in the meantime, all done without incurring a tax hit.  It might be a good idea to add mortgage payments to this, but again it may not.

I believe the problem is that the original loan really didn't have any "cost" if someone defaulted.  Some folks in trouble went for these loans with the idea of $0 money down and a low loan payment based on the lowest interest rates in US history.  So, if you have no investment, and you default on your loan, your credit gets slapped.  After that point, it's difficult to get a loan.  But besides a house payment, not many will need to use credit that often.  Sure, there's credit cards & car financing, but someone still could get a crappy card and a crappy car payment if their credit is bad.

So it's really a bet the interest rates would be held low, and many thought "well, if I can't pay it later...oh well...I didn't have to put any money down and I have a house I couldn't afford normally anyway".
topal63
. . .
+533|6716

lowing wrote:

Bullshit...

There has been a tendency to conflate the current problems in the subprime market with CRA-motivated lending, or with lending to low-income families in general.  I believe it is very important to make a distinction between the two. Most of the loans made by depository institutions examined under the CRA have not been higher-priced loans, and studies have shown that the CRA has increased the volume of responsible lending to low- and moderate-income households.

Robert Gordon has pointed out that approximately half of the loans were made by independent mortgage companies which were not regulated by CRA at all, and thus had no government obligation to offer credit to minorities.

Ellen Seidman, the former director of the US Office of Thrift Supervision,[2] argues that the CRA did not have an effect on the United States housing bubble. She observes that CRA banks were particularly warned to make responsible investments, citing a speech by herself as an example. She notes that if unregulated independent mortgage companies do make subprime loans, affiliated CRA banks should not be able to count them for CRA purposes, although she does not indicate whether this practice currently occurs.

An analysis by attorneys Traiger and Hinckley concluded that CRA banks were less likely to sell risky mortgages onto the secondary market, and likely mitigated the effect of subprime crisis.

...far fewer applicants are denied credit—rather, they are offered credit at higher prices intended to reflect the greater risk posed by these loans.

Home purchase and refinance lending has the largest origination volume by far (of which about 10 percent is CRA-related).

Perhaps the most significant factor driving the current rise in delinquency and foreclosures is declining house values.
I've worked on projects that were almost entirely CRA funded, in an attempt to provide affordable housing and help improve property values - in the targeted area (City/redevelopment district). A majority of these (low priced) homes were not the ones that went bust in the bubble.

But these did!!!
Many homes (in far-more expensive neighborhoods) were speculated-on by average every day people (often they were even white men) looking to flip product on new construction - these went bust. If you could obtain a mortgage on a second property pre-construction or at new-construction prices (at a subdivisions inception); you could make a quick 20K to 100K in the new-home market - going near 100% financing (OPM). Lenders didn't care, the developers-home builders didn't care, so they let these small time speculators buy homes with the intent on flipping product. This got early sales off to a quick start + it put homes in the subdivision faster so build-out was quicker. But, this drove home prices up freaky-fast, in a 5 year period the prices had skyrocketed. Flipping-homes took longer - in some subdivisions (the worst ones had almost 50% non-lived in homes, owned by speculators waiting to flip to a buyer; with near 100% financing being how they managed the OPM deals; the banks allowed it).

No one forced a bank to loan a 95% ARM on 500K+ valued home. They risked the loan because they were making money in fees and upfront interest.

You know the terms of a loan are determined by a bank - no matter what. The lax standards are the minimum requirement... not the only requirement. Every bank that loaned was on a feeding frenzy; making money all the way; they couldn't stop.

The speculator's help drive prices up to levels that could not be maintained. Banks loaned money near 100% - near 0% vested-equity. Some banks dumped this paper - sold it off (high risk junk); and another bought it up. When the fruition of this nonsense reached apex there was only down in home-market prices and the homes became walk-aways (50-100K; or more; upside down and then people simply don't want to pay; are not paying). The families that bought in these subdivisions at these inflated prices weren't prepared for the down-turn, loss of equity. They were simply dragged into the financial undertow (loss of equity, inability to sell, destruction of money-supplies, loss of liquidity in the credit markets, etc - then even loss of income and or job due to the money-supply/liquidity destruction which ripples through the economy in waves).
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6599|132 and Bush

Inventory is actually down in my county (resales). Under 14k homes in our MLS this morning. It will go back up now that school has started though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity
+721|6579|the dank(super) side of Oregon
So has anything legally changed since these banks were "legally obligated" to give homeless minorities loans?  You know, since they seem to have no legal choice but to give junkies and illegal immigrants $300k mortgages, this must still be a problem?
topal63
. . .
+533|6716

Reciprocity wrote:

So has anything legally changed since these banks were "legally obligated" to give homeless minorities loans?  You know, since they seem to have no legal choice but to give junkies and illegal immigrants $300k mortgages, this must still be a problem?
Even though this must be sarcasm, I am sorry you need to identify it as such. It's rather hard to tell the difference from other posters who actually believe bullshit like this.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-09-24 13:19:45)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard