Graphic-J
The Artist formerly known as GraphicArtist-J
+196|6137|So Cal
https://business.maktoob.com/BusinessImages/News/20070423185576/Feature.jpg
For those that have been following this in the news, I'm seriously thinking of taking my money out of this bank.
Do you think it's serious enough for me to look for a new bank?
https://i44.tinypic.com/28vg66s.jpg
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6707|NJ
They're going to be bought out by Chase I think.. I wouldn't really worry about it, remember your money is federally insured. But that doesn't mean they won't start fucking you on Fees.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6567
A friend of mine just emptied his account at a bank on the basis of a rumour. Problem is that rumours make banks collapse. If you have heard a whiff of anything about this bank then I'd say pull out now.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6773

internet bank only.

/thread

/welcome

Last edited by usmarine (2008-09-19 09:28:41)

deeznutz1245
Connecticut: our chimps are stealin yo' faces.
+483|6504|Connecticut
If you have enough money to lose that would be noticeable you should consider buying some stocks in this unstable market. Remember, value is not important right now it is the volume of shares you have. If you have a large quantity you will be rich in 20 years provided you leave them. As for the bank, it matters not because your money is federally insured anyways. Most of the time a bank will not collapse, it will be bought out so ride the transition and if you are not satisfied with your new bank's policies then go elswhere.
Malloy must go
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6540|Global Command
Wamu should fold. They were a bad apple in the rotten barrel of subprime bandits.

While the stock has rebounded a little look at the trend.  It can only go so low.

http://tools.morningstar.com/charts/Mch … p;sLevel=A
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6579|Mountains of NC

better stuff it under

https://www.thespecialtyrentals.com/images/stock_mattress_pillow_top.jpg
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
CloakedStarship
+76|6576
I just pulled out of WaMu and went to BoA not but an hour ago.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6846|Kubra, Damn it!

deeznutz1245 wrote:

buying some stocks

deeznutz1245 wrote:

unstable market
Unstable doesn't mean it will go up. It means the normal unpredictibility of the stock market has drastically increased. Be very careful where you decide to throw away your money. Even in a bull market, most investors lose in the end.

CloakedStarship wrote:

Why? As mentioned above, your money is FDIC insured and isn't going anywhere. It's frightened, knee-jerk responses like this that cause the Great Depression.
deeznutz1245
+483|6504|Connecticut

chittydog wrote:

Unstable doesn't mean it will go up. It means the normal unpredictibility of the stock market has drastically increased. Be very careful where you decide to throw away your money. Even in a bull market, most investors lose in the end.

Because most investors throw a lot of money at half a dozen investments. Take a little money, $5,000 or so at the most and buy as many $5- $10 shares as you can of a lot of different companies. You have to go at it knowing some will tank but at least you don't lose your shirt plus, you will have volume which is key for long term investing. Most investors are in it for a quick buck, but I do remember mentioning in this thread it was a 20 year plan.
Malloy must go
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6660|Washington DC

No need to withdraw your money ... your money is insured, and even if the bank fails you will not have access to your money for no more than 48 hours (the bank's deposits will be purchased by another bank).

My bank failed last year.  No big deal.  Services were completely transferred to the other bank within 36 hours.
chittydog
less busy

deeznutz1245 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Because most investors throw a lot of money at half a dozen investments. Take a little money, $5,000 or so at the most and buy as many $5- $10 shares as you can of a lot of different companies. You have to go at it knowing some will tank but at least you don't lose your shirt plus, you will have volume which is key for long term investing. Most investors are in it for a quick buck, but I do remember mentioning in this thread it was a 20 year plan.
Agreed. But for that matter, it's easier to invest in mutual funds. It's basically the same thing, except a fund manager has already done all the legwork for you.
deeznutz1245
+483|6504|Connecticut

chittydog wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Agreed. But for that matter, it's easier to invest in mutual funds. It's basically the same thing, except a fund manager has already done all the legwork for you.
Mutual Funds are for moderate investors. They are a good pick for those who are diligent with their savings, have a little money to invest and don't want their investment to consume their free time. I mean, thats all a 401k really is, a glorified mutual fund with aggressive, moderate and conservative plans. I on the other hand trust only myself so I guess it's a culmination of preference and knowledge which would determine how you invest.
Malloy must go
chittydog
less busy

deeznutz1245 wrote:

chittydog wrote:

deeznutz1245 wrote:

Mutual Funds are for moderate investors. They are a good pick for those who are diligent with their savings, have a little money to invest and don't want their investment to consume their free time. I mean, thats all a 401k really is, a glorified mutual fund with aggressive, moderate and conservative plans. I on the other hand trust only myself so I guess it's a culmination of preference and knowledge which would determine how you invest.
Agreed again on all points. I recommended them as I believe that most investors are not nearly as financially savvy as they think they are.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6671|The darkside of Denver
FDIC only isures 100k.. If u have more than that its pretty much gone. So if u got more than 100k in the bank I'd get the hell outta WaMu
jsnipy
+3,276|6534|...

Its insured to a 100k. If you had a 100k, I doubt you would be asking the internet what to do with your money.

edit: Having said that the "bank of jsnipy" will hold your money.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-09-19 15:36:54)

OrangeHound

<SS>SonderKommando wrote:

FDIC only isures 100k.. If u have more than that its pretty much gone. So if u got more than 100k in the bank I'd get the hell outta WaMu
You can get up to $600,000 insured per bank if you are married (and know how to set up the accounts as individual accounts, joint accounts, and revocable trusts).

Regardless, what jsnipy said above puts this issue to rest.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6643|949

OrangeHound wrote:

<SS>SonderKommando wrote:

You can get up to $600,000 insured per bank if you are married (and know how to set up the accounts as individual accounts, joint accounts, and revocable trusts).

Regardless, what jsnipy said above puts this issue to rest.
Yep.  Virtually any regular bank account is insured for $100k per name on the account.  Either way as was previously said, it's people that panic and take their money out of the bank that often leads to the demise of the bank.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-09-19 18:00:49)

SealXo
+309|6547
your insured up to 100k arnt you?

the other day they put up an auction and noone hsowed up

Last edited by SealXo (2008-09-19 18:01:19)

Reciprocity
+721|6592|the dank(super) side of Oregon
A run on a bank, no matter how crappy that bank is, helps nobody.
CloakedStarship
+76|6576

chittydog wrote:

CloakedStarship wrote:

Why? As mentioned above, your money is FDIC insured and isn't going anywhere. It's frightened, knee-jerk responses like this that cause the Great Depression.
Its not like I'm hiding my money under my mattress, its in a bank.  I've lost confidence in WaMu, its as simple as that.

And wasn't the cause of the great depression more like unbelievably poor use of credit (Among other things)?
Marinejuana
local
+415|6596|Seattle

Reciprocity wrote:

A run on a bank, no matter how crappy that bank is, helps nobody.
ROFL EXCEPT YOURSELF.

There is a very real possibility that the dollar will collapse in the next 3-5 years. If so, you need to be out of our banks and dollars, and you need to have access to markets that aren't dollar dependent (ie, where's the nearest arable land? Is it irrigated naturally? Are you capable of providing any real services in that market? Are any of your assets directly productive or sustainable?). Statistically speaking, unless you are supported by the corporations that bought most of our country during the last depression, you don't have a chance. Good luck urban America. Water management in the US and its elaborate transportation is dependent on the buying power of our money. If California wasn't going 10 to 1 economically for all these years it could never have afforded to put 18 million people in a desert. Now that it's the case, we just have to pray that the free lunches (okay, drinks) keep coming.

I think it's hilarious how secure many of you sound. I guess it's really no surprise considering the bankers have waited about a lifetime since their last big market crash (read: repossession), and probably none of you were allowed to learn about why that happened in school.

kthx
Reciprocity
+721|6592|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Marinejuana wrote:

ROFL EXCEPT YOURSELF.

There is a very real possibility that the dollar will collapse in the next 3-5 years. If so, you need to be out of our banks and dollars, and you need to have access to markets that aren't dollar dependent (ie, where's the nearest arable land? Is it irrigated naturally? Are you capable of providing any real services in that market? Are any of your assets directly productive or sustainable?). Statistically speaking, unless you are supported by the corporations that bought most of our country during the last depression, you don't have a chance. Good luck urban America. Water management in the US and its elaborate transportation is dependent on the buying power of our money. If California wasn't going 10 to 1 economically for all these years it could never have afforded to put 18 million people in a desert. Now that it's the case, we just have to pray that the free lunches (okay, drinks) keep coming.

I think it's hilarious how secure many of you sound. I guess it's really no surprise considering the bankers have waited about a lifetime since their last big market crash (read: repossession), and probably none of you were allowed to learn about why that happened in school.

kthx
nice rant, Ted.

WaMu falling apart isn't the end of civilization.

The world we live in is dollar dependent, when that world is finished, I'm sure arable land will be very valuable.  In the mean time, try paying your rent with a coffee can full of naturally irrigated land.
OrangeHound

CloakedStarship wrote:

chittydog wrote:

CloakedStarship wrote:

Its not like I'm hiding my money under my mattress, its in a bank.  I've lost confidence in WaMu, its as simple as that.

And wasn't the cause of the great depression more like unbelievably poor use of credit (Among other things)?
The market-based capitalist economy thrives on optimism about the future, and is harmed by pessimism about the future ... this effect can be seen both with individual companies and with the economy as a whole.

Simply, the Great Depression was caused by wide-spread pessimism and "acting" on that pessimism.  On the one hand, consumers became pessimistic and moved into self-protectionism:  withdrawing money from banks at depressed rates and lowering of spending.  On the other hand, financial institutions became pessimistic and restricted capital lending.  This meant that businesses didn't have access to capital for survival (and many failed) or expansion (assuming they wanted to expand, and few did).

This pessimism resulted in the widespread poverty and unemployment that characterize the Great Depression.  What caused the pessimism is widely debated, but the US Government frequently takes steps to temper pessimism, or put mechanisms in place that moderate actions during times of pessimism.

This is why the FDIC insurance is in place:   to prevent consumers from acting on their pessimism by withdrawing money from banks.   This is also why the US Treasury, Federal Reserve, and Congress have been doing so much over the last two weeks with financial institutions:  to keep financial markets from acting on their pessimism (restricting capital lending).
SealXo
+309|6547
im putting my savings to silver soon, they say its going to go to like 100+ an ounce its at like 12 right now

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard