Poll

Are you throwing away your vote voting for a 3rd party candidate?

Yes53%53% - 37
No37%37% - 26
Not Sure8%8% - 6
Total: 69
SGT_Dicklewicz
+33|6617
I tend to think a vote for a 3rd party candidate shows my displeasure with my 2 choices and will at least make myself feel better, but is probably wasted.
So Pick the lesser of 2 evils or cast my protest vote?
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6386|The Gem Saloon

SGT_Dicklewicz wrote:

will at least make myself feel better
thats the important thing...
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

I'm considering voting 3rd party since I really don't like either party, but I haven't decided yet. However, I hardly consider it throwing my vote away.
jsnipy
+3,276|6515|...

No such thing as a "wasted vote". This type of thinking is what keeps us locked in this political oligopoly with mediocre choices.
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6372|MN

LividBovine wrote:

No third party candidates to throw your support behind?  This would at least show the direction you wish the candidates would go.

At least pick the lesser of 2 evils.  One of them will win you know.
And no you are not throwing your vote away.  You only do that if you don't vote at all.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6439|Chicago, IL
Possibly, If I can locate a good one, I sort of like the libertarians, but the total isolationist platform is a bit pre WWI...

If third parties can muster even 10% of the vote total, that will send a fairly strong message to the ruling parties.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

I usually vote 3rd party.  It's not my displeasure with the candidates so much as the system.  I'm still debating my choice this election.  I was preemptively going Green (because locally they are pretty good) until their party direction changed.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
Protest vote for me.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6485|N. Ireland

ATG wrote:

Protest vote for me.
First act as President would be attempting to rename USA to "Lol Lol Land"?
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6569|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

kylef wrote:

ATG wrote:

Protest vote for me.
it would be freaking awesome...No?

And the more people vote for 3rd party because its the lesser of the 2 evils, the more it give chances to that party to be elected one day.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6647

kylef wrote:

ATG wrote:

Protest vote for me.
Nah, just Los Angeles = LA = La La Land, + Internet = Lol Lol Land

But now that you mention protest voting, I'm going to fill in Ron Paul if I get a chance
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
Vote for a third party
Third party becomes a bigger contender next time around
Get stuck in a 3 party system
3>2 options
???
profit.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

Ask the people who voted for Perot in 92 if they think their votes were wasted.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6372|MN

FEOS wrote:

Ask the people who voted for Perot in 92 if they think their votes were wasted.
Nope

Edit:  Did I just admit I voted for Perot?  Damn!

Last edited by LividBovine (2008-09-18 02:14:47)

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
It feels like a waste, and probably is, but its nice to think maybe it influences the people who do get elected a little.
Although I doubt it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6754

i used to think yes.  but then i hear a shitload of people say "i picked between the lesser of two evils."  that concept always blew my mind.  that reasoning is unreal to me.  so therefore, in reality you are throwing it away, but at least you made your own choice, not choosing between the t.l.o.t.e.
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
Didn't I post the profit thing already, damn...

If enough people have that attitude of , "loolol I'll just vote for these 2 shitty choices because otherwise my vote is wasted lool", then you will never see change. You don't have the right to complain about the choices if you vote for one of them.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Well you do, freedom of speech and all, but it just makes you look like an asshole.
I-=C-A-V-E-M-A-N=-I
+12|6363|Ohio
How can you consider it throwing away your vote when your vote means nothing to begin with? The Electoral College picks the president not the population.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6570|Columbus, OH
Probably vote 3rd Party. I can careless if people think I am throwing out my vote. At least, they know I vote.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6492|so randum
whats the average voting turnout in the US?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6663|UK
doesn't matter.  Popular vote doesn't count for shit.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
SGT_Dicklewicz
+33|6617

FatherTed wrote:

whats the average voting turnout in the US?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 01965.html

Looks like 64% in 2004. Bet it is higher this year! I'd set the over/under at 67%. Lot of people pissed off this time around.

Last edited by SGT_Dicklewicz (2008-09-18 06:27:39)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6511|Πάϊ
Ah yes! Voting for anyone else other than the two dogs is like throwing your vote in the trash. What a nice democratic logic this is!

btw since it came up: are there any smaller parties more "radical right" shall we say that steal votes from the Republicans?

Or is it just the Dems that suffer losses from the greens etc?
ƒ³
mikeyb118
Evil Overlord
+76|6591|S.C.
If Vince Cable becomes leader then yes. I'm not voting for a Cameron clone.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6707|US

oug wrote:

btw since it came up: are there any smaller parties more "radical right" shall we say that steal votes from the Republicans?

Or is it just the Dems that suffer losses from the greens etc?
The Libertarian party takes a lot of votes that would probably go to the Republicans.
They will probably get mine, this year.

The more votes a 3rd party gets, the more the Dems and Reps will have to cater to those views to stay in power.
If a 3rd party gets 20% of an election (yeah, big number for the sake of argument), you can be sure the major parties will incorporate much of that 3rd party's stance into their next platform.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard