FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6495|so randum
rig is such a techy word.

Anywho, im shipping my rig to my uni sometime this week.

Any precautions i should take?

I'm thinking of taking the PSU out of the case and having that in hand luggage when i fly over, just to reduce the weight of the parcel (weight=geld).
But should i think of removing components, and wrapping them separately etc to prevent damage.

So yeah, post.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Brasso
+1,549|6626

definitely remove each component, wrap them separately, and pack them inside the case so that when closed, they don't shake around.  i would take the HDs with you too.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6495|so randum

haffeysucks wrote:

definitely remove each component, wrap them separately, and pack them inside the case so that when closed, they don't shake around.  i would take the HDs with you too.
.GOOD PLAN

leave the mobo screwed to the chassis?

Last edited by FatherTed (2008-09-16 17:07:27)

Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6109|SC | USA |
Take out all cards. (Wrap em in bubble wrap and just stick them in your case) Depending on your CPU cooler, take it off and do what was mentioned before.

Anything that isn't screwed directly into the case and doesn't have significant height, should be uninstalled.
Brasso
+1,549|6626

FatherTed wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

.GOOD PLAN

i would, but strip it good.  everything off it.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6495|so randum

haffeysucks wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

.GOOD PLAN

well atm i have 2 HD's, PSU (all aforementioned is going on la plane with me for weight reasons), the 4850, CPU fan, CPU (although thats pretty well held by the board obv, and thats about it.

Should i take the CPU out?

And will this mean fucking around setting my pc up again?

And is it true that airport scanners can wipe HDs, so would my HD's be at risk on the plane?

And is pissydon a jew?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6628

Pissydon is a jew.
Brasso
+1,549|6626

well you can leave the actual CPU on but i would take the heatsink off.  yes you will have to set everything up again.  i don't know anything about airport scanners.  and yes pos is a jew.

i haven't ever shipped/moved a case before actually, so i'm just guessing. 
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6307

FatherTed wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

.GOOD PLAN

well atm i have 2 HD's, PSU (all aforementioned is going on la plane with me for weight reasons), the 4850, CPU fan, CPU (although thats pretty well held by the board obv, and thats about it.

And is it true that airport scanners can wipe HDs, so would my HD's be at risk on the plane?

And is pissydon a jew?
Just pray the UK hasn't done the same thing as the US and let airport security search your HD's.
Gooners
Wiki Contributor
+2,700|6628

ebug9 wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

And is pissydon a jew?
Just pray the UK hasn't done the same thing as the US and let airport security search your HD's.
I brought my Laptop with me to LA/Vegas, and they didn't even ask me to turn it on, though they did asked me to take it out.

Must be a random thing.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6716|Ireland | Monaghan

FatherTed wrote:

Well, I have taken my external harddrive through airport scanners about 6 times now and it's come out fine every time. I do not think they will do any harm to it, just if you're taking all on board with you, you might have some explaining to do when they see all these "parts" with wires coming outta them

My experience is from Dublin airport, not Belfast if that's the one you're going through, shouldn't be any difference though.
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6339|tropical regions of london
use dhl
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6495|so randum

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Well, I have taken my external harddrive through airport scanners about 6 times now and it's come out fine every time. I do not think they will do any harm to it, just if you're taking all on board with you, you might have some explaining to do when they see all these "parts" with wires coming outta them

My experience is from Dublin airport, not Belfast if that's the one you're going through, shouldn't be any difference though.
hopefully it'l be even smoother going manch-belfast, since it's all in the UK.

cant wait to get my irish passport tho
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6716|Ireland | Monaghan

FatherTed wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Who are you flying with? if it's Ryanair watch the bags aint overweight they'll rip you off with excess baggage fees if they are. Shouldn't be to bad a price getting to England too, what's it; like 100 pound?

I have paid €300-500 to get to Germany  7 times in the past year =/ not to mention I had an overweight bag that was like 1KG overweight and I had to pay €20 for it -.-

And aslong as your onboard baggage isn't a humongous giant they wont check it's weight so you could fit like every part in it RAM/GFX/HDD's etc etc. I think like on 2 flights my onboard luggage weighed more than my main one, lol ah well what can ya do

Goodluck with University;)

p.s: Write your bloodgroup on the passport when you get it, god knows it can't hurt to have.
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6495|so randum

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

IrishGrimReaper wrote:

Who are you flying with? if it's Ryanair watch the bags aint overweight they'll rip you off with excess baggage fees if they are. Shouldn't be to bad a price getting to England too, what's it; like 100 pound?

I have paid €300-500 to get to Germany  7 times in the past year =/ not to mention I had an overweight bag that was like 1KG overweight and I had to pay €20 for it -.-

And aslong as your onboard baggage isn't a humongous giant they wont check it's weight so you could fit like every part in it RAM/GFX/HDD's etc etc. I think like on 2 flights my onboard luggage weighed more than my main one, lol ah well what can ya do

Goodluck with University;)

p.s: Write your bloodgroup on the passport when you get it, god knows it can't hurt to have.
It's like £15 single for me, £20 return for my dad! Ryanair lololol

ja goin QuB, living in Ireland after that (used to live in fermanagh+family there)
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
MECtallica
+73|6500|jalalabad
Lol europe.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6489|N. Ireland
PSU? Hand luggage?

Don't think so Ted, you'll get it taken off you and you won't get it back. It's a bomb to them.
mikkel
+383|6597
I don't know what the dimensions and allowances are domestically on Ryanair, but I've had an entire computer in carry on baggage in original packing a few times, sans a case that I didn't bring, and the PSU that I put in my checked bag. Never had any issues with that.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6495|so randum

kylef wrote:

PSU? Hand luggage?

Don't think so Ted, you'll get it taken off you and you won't get it back. It's a bomb to them.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6444

How are you going to the university? Train, getting a life? Because I am taking my PC too, but my dad is giving me a lift and just gonna put it in the car Also, it's great that  desktop PC's are already insured without having to pay extra, unlike laptops.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6495|so randum

r'Eeee wrote:

How are you going to the university? Train, getting a life? Because I am taking my PC too, but my dad is giving me a lift and just gonna put it in the car Also, it's great that  desktop PC's are already insured without having to pay extra, unlike laptops.
my unis in a different country, across a sea.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6623|UK

FatherTed wrote:

kylef wrote:

PSU? Hand luggage?

Yeah, I read a book once where some guy strapped something to the back of the PSU so that when you turned it on some sort of chemical reaction occurred and the whole thing blew up, taking a room full of people with it.

But anyway, I digress. What's so valuable about your PSU? Why do you  want it in your hand luggage?
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6444

Yea sorry, just read above
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6495|so randum

liquidat0r wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

kylef wrote:

PSU? Hand luggage?

Yeah, I read a book once where some guy strapped something to the back of the PSU so that when you turned it on some sort of chemical reaction occurred and the whole thing blew up, taking a room full of people with it.

But anyway, I digress. What's so valuable about your PSU? Why do you  want it in your hand luggage?
weight, and my PC is being shipped
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6193|Winland

FatherTed wrote:

liquidat0r wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

weight, and my PC is being shipped
He's smuggling cocaine in it.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard