De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6528|Belgium

It's time to replace my 4 year old computer (P4 with a radeon 9600xt... yeah I know). I want to build my own pc this time. It's cheaper, I replaced components before so that's not the problem. I just don't want to have any surprise of case too small, cpu not fitting on the mobo, fan so huge you can't put the GPU in, ...

So I tried to make me a system, would prefer to stay around 1000€, 1200 max (including sending). I have a new screen since last month so that's not necessary, I also have a mouse and gonna replace this keyboard with a standard one (nothing fancy needed).

Any advice is welcome: go for component X cause it's better and cheaper, that fan doesn't fit that well or makes so much noise it's crappy, that PSU is not strong enough, you forgot an essential item, ...

And if anyone knows a good site that also ships to belgium, that would be appreciated (I know azerty.nl usually has a lot of items, but it's usually a little more expensive too and I don't think newegg ships outside USA for example).

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
Mobo: GA-EP45-DS3 (the x48 ones are so expensive...)
Cpu-cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2
GPU: Club3D HD4870 X2 (or just a regular HD 4870 to save money, depends on the costs of the rest although the x2 looks tempting )
Soundcard: none (on board is pretty good nowadays and my current headset is far from optimal, unless you can give me a good reason to get one).
HD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 640GB
DVDreader/writer: Lite-On LH-20A1S
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 590 (black) (any other suggestions certainly welcome)
PSU: Corsair TX750 (is one big 12V line better or multiple ones?)
Headset: using crappy one currently, but not urgent
Keyboard: gonna buy some standard cheap one, don't need anything fancy
Mouse: have a good one at the moment
OS: think I have a XP license still lying around here, so probably that

Any suggestions/remarks/anything I forgot/site where to order them more than welcome
dill13
+67|6194

preferred online vender
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6464|cuntshitlake

- E8500 offers pretty much nothing over E8400
- Look if you can get an ASUS P5E motherboard for reasonable price. Would support x16 Crossfire with ATI card, and thus leave you room for simple GPU upgrade in the future. P45 would do CF too, but with a limiting x8 PCI-E bus.
- Kingston memory is crap. Get 2-4GB of some 800, or 1066MHz Corsair/OCZ ram.
- Look for the prices of a HX620 PSU. It would be the optimal solution for a good PSU. If the price is too high, a 750TX will do fine too you go CF HD4870(X2) in the future.

If you don't plan to go CF, get that mobo you chose, and a smaller PSU, like the HX520.

And check alternate.be, they have awesome service and reasonably low prices I hear.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-09-14 13:04:55)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6733|St. Andrews / Oslo

- Nice processor, though you probably won't notice much difference compared to an 8400.
- Nice mobo, but an X38 would be better, if possible.
- The F7P isn't that awesome, I'd go for a Thermalright HR-01 Ultra-120 with a 120mm fan or, if you preffer a heatsink with a fixed fan, a Zalman 9700.
- I don't know much about ram, but I've heard bad things about ValueRAM, go with some sticks of OCZ 1066mhz
- get the 4870 so you don't go overboard due to the components I listed
- Great HDD
- Get an Antec P182 case. It's fucking sex.
- Not a bad PSU, but I don't think you'll need 750W. A corsiar HX620 should be enough, and it's modular.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
DUnlimited
+1,160|6464|cuntshitlake

Jenspm wrote:

The F7P isn't that awesome
It is pretty much. If one won't OC extremely lot, F7P is perfect. Plus can't beat the price-performance ratio.
dill13
+67|6194

https://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb21/dill132007/Untitled-4.jpg
something like this maybe you could go for the 4870 if you still wanted to spend 1100 ish
Edit:Man was that a pain to navigate couldn't find the psu's.

Last edited by dill13 (2008-09-14 13:30:33)

De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6528|Belgium

Thanks for the quick replies:

Jens: the antec p182 is indeed teh sex, but it's 50€ more, so unless there is a heat/ventilation/space problem in the one I suggested, i would not want to spend my money on that one

heatsink: would the Xigmatek HDT-S1284 be a better choice? (haven't heard much about the two you suggested yet so gonna look that up).

8400 over 8500 probably better then.
Gonna look for another MoBo, memory and PSU tomorrow by the suggestions made so far. Keep them coming.

(edit: too long thinking I guess, thanks dille for the build, I'll have a look)

Last edited by De_Jappe (2008-09-14 13:30:28)

Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6198|Winland

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

The F7P isn't that awesome
It is pretty much. If one won't OC extremely lot, F7P is perfect. Plus can't beat the price-performance ratio.
It kept my P4 at 65C for years.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6733|St. Andrews / Oslo

De_Jappe wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies:

Jens: the antec p182 is indeed teh sex, but it's 50€ more, so unless there is a heat/ventilation/space problem in the one I suggested, i would not want to spend my money on that one

heatsink: would the Xigmatek HDT-S1284 be a better choice? (haven't heard much about the two you suggested yet so gonna look that up).

8400 over 8500 probably better then.
Gonna look for another MoBo, memory and PSU tomorrow by the suggestions made so far. Keep them coming.

(edit: too long thinking I guess, thanks dille for the build, I'll have a look)
well, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (notice 1283, not 1284) got a great score at SPCR.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
De_Jappe
Triarii
+432|6528|Belgium

would the corsair HX620 be able to keep the HD4870X2 up?
DUnlimited
+1,160|6464|cuntshitlake

De_Jappe wrote:

would the corsair HX620 be able to keep the HD4870X2 up?
Yes.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6810|Nårvei

You forgot a multi card reader
Wait behind the line ..............................................................

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard