Bulldogz
Blacking Out the Friction
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
So heres the deal:

I recently moved up to my college of choice up in Idaho. And thus, not wanting to leave my home computer to the mercy of my computer destroying brothers, I took my pc along with my laptop.

I set up the pc once, got it running, played a few rounds of cod on it, shut it down, unplugged everything again, and later set it up on my desk. I got it all set up, booted it up and it ran just fine for about half an hour. There were some ,what seemed like, snags while it was running, like it would freeze or get really slow for a very short amount of time. Then I just let it run by itself for a short amount of time.

Then, I got a blue screen, and it shut down. I don't remember what the blue screen said, otherwise I would tell you. I tried just restarting the computer, but when it got to the second boot up screen (where it would normally say "press any key to boot from disc" if I had a windows disc in it) and it just sits. It wont even go any farther than that.

So, I got my family to send me the windows vista disc from home, and I just tried to reformat the computer. I think I did it like, 5 times. The installation would just freeze and would sit there forever. And believe me, I let it sit for a few hours before I tried to restart it manually. Now, after I retried to install windows so many times, every time I try to turn on my computer, the monitor just turns to power save mode, and the computer sounds like its running, but nothing happens. It doesn't even make the standard "beep" noise of the computer starting up. Sometimes it will start up, but then it freezes in boot-up and just sits.

I'm way worried, this computer is my first build, and it I don't have enough money to build a new one, being up at school and all.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Here are the specs:

Vista Ultimated x64
Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT
Intel Pentium D 3.0 ghz
160 Gb HD and an 80gb HD
2GB ddr2 Ram (i think)

I'm sorry if that isn't enough info, I'm in a bit of a rush typing this, but I can give more info later if anyone can help me.

oh and also, I asked my dad, and he said it might have been a corrupted system file that started the whole system failure.
Brasso
+1,549|6638

try swapping a completely empty, reformatted HD in, and run ONLY that (check BIOS for settings on this)
it may be a RAM problem as well.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2008-09-09 15:49:42)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Bad RAM is the first thing that comes to mind.

EDIT: Download and run Memtest.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2008-09-09 15:52:10)

DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6471|cuntshitlake

Check if the motherboard has any leaking or expanded capacitors
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Bulldogz
Blacking Out the Friction
+32|6007|Rexburg, Idaho
Yeah, my dad is sending me another harddrive from home. So hopefully that fixes it. I checked the RAM already. I took out all extra sticks, and put every different combination in at once. So I don't think the RAM is bad honestly.

And DeathUnlimited, where on the motherboard would I check for that?
Brasso
+1,549|6638

Bulldogz wrote:

Yeah, my dad is sending me another harddrive from home. So hopefully that fixes it. I checked the RAM already. I took out all extra sticks, and put every different combination in at once. So I don't think the RAM is bad honestly.
RAM can be bad without looking bad.  Run Memtest to be sure.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6471|cuntshitlake

Bulldogz wrote:

And DeathUnlimited, where on the motherboard would I check for that?
There are things like these around on the motherboard: http://www.capacitorlab.com/capacitor-t … larity.jpg

Check if any of them is leaking something, or looks expanded in some way, check the pictures here for reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-09-09 17:29:50)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard