Hakei
Banned
+295|6002

Wallpaper wrote:

Hakei wrote:

Also interesting to note that a .50 cal machine gun can kill an APC in a few seconds if you aim correctly and don't get killed by the APC you're aiming at.
Wtf? Where do you have to aim?
I'll make a video when I get the time, I've only pulled it off once in game and then was accused of hacking. It's at the bottom of the Cannon.
Zoeff
+5|5809|The Netherlands
Thanks for all the responses so far!

A friend of mine saw the thread and dragged me into an empty server. Turns out that you really can shoot through chain fences, sheet metal and supply crates with all guns (except the rockets). Heck, he even managed to kill me with the knife through the sheet metal....twice. I wasn't able to do the same to him though. :'<

There also seems to be damage reduction, a pistol shot in the chest removed 5 bars, but 3 bars when a sheet metal fence was in the way.

As for (cockpit) glass, it looks like only the 50cal sniper and the AT rockets are realistic pilot killers. (Didn't test the APC main gun, but should work) All guns seem to do some damage to the pilot when spraying the cockpit, but only to like half a bar. So people who managed to kill somebody with say, the G3, probably had a pilot with less then half a bar of health left.

I've read you can shoot through wood and some other stuff as well? Could somebody give some examples?

Last edited by Zoeff (2008-09-08 22:09:26)

aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6357|Iowa...

Wallpaper wrote:

Hakei wrote:

Also interesting to note that a .50 cal machine gun can kill an APC in a few seconds if you aim correctly and don't get killed by the APC you're aiming at.
you have to aim where the turret connects to the body of the vehicle,and the turret has to be angled a bit upward so you can make the shot. to my knowledge it can only be done on the LAV-25, and it isn't a very practical way to combat it. the M95 works for this as well.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6297|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

aj0404 wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

Hakei wrote:

you have to aim where the turret connects to the body of the vehicle,and the turret has to be angled a bit upward so you can make the shot. to my knowledge it can only be done on the LAV-25, and it isn't a very practical way to combat it. the M95 works for this as well.
if i'm not mistaken, the tanks can do that to each other as well for one-shot kills

rightrightright
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6357|Iowa...

cowami wrote:

if i'm not mistaken, the tanks can do that to each other as well for one-shot kills

rightrightright
yeah, although i'm not sure where exactly you have to aim to get it to ricochet. this game is so random with the one shot kills you can't really tell...
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6297|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

aj0404 wrote:

cowami wrote:

rightrightright
yeah, although i'm not sure where exactly you have to aim to get it to ricochet. this game is so random with the one shot kills you can't really tell...
but who gives a flying fuck about that when you have clueless cobra pilots who fly into the line of an LGM headed for an abrams

https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6279

aj0404 wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

Hakei wrote:

Wrong. Its to the right of the apc cannon. Let me get you a pic
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6334|Australia

Hakei wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

Hakei wrote:

I'll make a video when I get the time, I've only pulled it off once in game and then was accused of hacking. It's at the bottom of the Cannon.
I managed to blow up a friendly APC with the BH miniguns. The round was almost over, so  just decided to shoot at the APC for lulz, and after 2 seconds it exploded.
And I wasn't even aiming at the turret.

Also, you can shoot through supply drops as well. I used to think it could only be done with an M95, but I recently did it with the Type 88. I think all sniper rifles have this property, but I don't think any of the ARs/LMGs/etc do.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6279
https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj146/Metal-Eater-GR/lavsl.jpg

Not quite sure if its on the right of the left, try both and tell  me.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6204|Winland

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

No, it can't.
Try it.
If it would, there would be no M95s on chopper spawns. The only time I've shot through glass with the G3, was when I was lying on a moving chopper, getting pushed through the glass.

It's even in the code. For something to be glass-penetrating, it has to be "Material 39". From the M95, M24 and G3 files:

M95:

Code:

rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_USSNI_M95_Barret_Projectile_Looping
ObjectTemplate.timeToLive CRD_NONE/1/0/0
ObjectTemplate.material 39
ObjectTemplate.hasOnTimeEffect 1
ObjectTemplate.minDamage 1
ObjectTemplate.damage 190
G3:

Code:

ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_g3a3_Projectile_Looping
ObjectTemplate.timeToLive CRD_NONE/0.5/0/0
ObjectTemplate.material 38
ObjectTemplate.minDamage 0.2
ObjectTemplate.damage 40
M24:

Code:

ObjectTemplate.addTemplate S_usrif_m24_Projectile_Looping
ObjectTemplate.timeToLive CRD_NONE/1/0/0
ObjectTemplate.material 38
ObjectTemplate.minDamage 1
ObjectTemplate.damage 95
And we all know the M24 isn't glass penetrating.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2008-09-09 03:00:46)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
senor_fulff
+25|6767|Yorkshire, UK.

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

Hakei wrote:

Wallpaper wrote:

I managed to blow up a friendly APC with the BH miniguns. The round was almost over, so  just decided to shoot at the APC for lulz, and after 2 seconds it exploded.

Also, you can shoot through supply drops as well. I used to think it could only be done with an M95, but I recently did it with the Type 88. I think all sniper rifles have this property, but I don't think any of the ARs/LMGs/etc do.
i'm pretty sure most of the LMG's/AR's can pierce supply crates, although i may be wrong...
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6329|Orrstrayleea

senor_fulff wrote:

Sup3r_Dr4gon wrote:

Hakei wrote:

i'm pretty sure most of the LMG's/AR's can pierce supply crates, although i may be wrong...
Im fairly sure they can
EA4never
+2|6243
Hit the white area to deal damage with the .50:

https://img3.imagebanana.com/img/2b9f86bn/thumb/lavdecalmesh.PNG

It's not the material of a projectile that decides whether it penetrates but the damage. Bulletproof glass has Material.minDamageLoss 100, i.e. you substract 100 from the damage of your projectile. Most firearms offer less than that so the projectile doesn't do any damage. The M95 deals 190 damage and remains with 190-100 = 90 damage, use the Bullet_50caliber modifier for headshots (which is 1.5) and you deal 135% damage, body hits do 45% damage.

But for most other penetrable materials the minDamageLoss is 5 or 10, so even the SMGs can shoot through fences.
Zoeff
+5|5809|The Netherlands

EA4never wrote:

Hit the white area to deal damage with the .50:

http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/2b9f86b … almesh.PNG

It's not the material of a projectile that decides whether it penetrates but the damage. Bulletproof glass has Material.minDamageLoss 100, i.e. you substract 100 from the damage of your projectile. Most firearms offer less than that so the projectile doesn't do any damage. The M95 deals 190 damage and remains with 190-100 = 90 damage, use the Bullet_50caliber modifier for headshots (which is 1.5) and you deal 135% damage, body hits do 45% damage.

But for most other penetrable materials the minDamageLoss is 5 or 10, so even the SMGs can shoot through fences.
That's very interesting! Is that white stuff present on other APC's?

Actually, thinking about it, I've seen the same thing happen with tanks. Hitting the tank barrel (not the turret but the barrel itself) seems to damage a tank quite a bit. Much like the tank threads.

Care to open up some more bf2 files?
EA4never
+2|6243
Nope, wreck material (which can be damaged by the .50) on the cannon is unique for the LAV.

As for tanks, the barrel actually has front armor. But the key to tank vs. tank battles are ricochets. If the projectile hits the armor at a low angle it will glance off, dealing 88.1% (±0.1%; empirical numbers) of it's original damage on the second hit and (88.1%)² on the third hit. So if you manage to get a double ricochet on the rear armor it will be an instant kill.
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|6006|Aberdeen, Scotland
N1 EA4never...I knew about the 50cal VS APC trick, but didn't realise the area was so large...

Dragon, Blackhawk miniguns will wipe out AA vehicles/APCs pretty quick if you can keep fire on them for a couple of secs...pretty hard to do from the air, but while on the ground it's humiliating for the opponent
Zoeff
+5|5809|The Netherlands

EA4never wrote:

Nope, wreck material (which can be damaged by the .50) on the cannon is unique for the LAV.

As for tanks, the barrel actually has front armor. But the key to tank vs. tank battles are ricochets. If the projectile hits the armor at a low angle it will glance off, dealing 88.1% (±0.1%; empirical numbers) of it's original damage on the second hit and (88.1%)² on the third hit. So if you manage to get a double ricochet on the rear armor it will be an instant kill.
So only the US APC? Not the MEC APC? Another advantage to the MEC side... >_>

Ah, never knew of that. Only heard of the threads giving you more damage. Where exactly is the optimal area for thas actually? Aim at the top of the engine bay at a low angle, and let it ricochet to the turret?
Fat_Swinub
jaff
+125|6442

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

No, it can't.
Try it.
If it would, there would be no M95s on chopper spawns. The only time I've shot through glass with the G3, was when I was lying on a moving chopper, getting pushed through the glass.

It's even in the code. For something to be glass-penetrating, it has to be "Material 39". From the M95, M24 and G3 files:
What about the glass in the Sub pen in Leviathan? I remember the G3 shooting through that but my memory is hazy and I can't remember if all guns can do that too.
MrAnderson
Ghost Town T90/Apache Whore
+99|6006|Aberdeen, Scotland
Most rifles can shoot through that, it's on Surge too...seems a bit off though, don't know if it's the damage reduction or what.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6204|Winland

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Fat_Swinub wrote:

Try it.

What about the glass in the Sub pen in Leviathan? I remember the G3 shooting through that but my memory is hazy and I can't remember if all guns can do that too.
That's not the same kind of glass.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Laura
your girlfriend a freak like cirque du soleil
+149|5837|u fucking wot m8

blacklupus wrote:

Every weapon shoots through fences.
Exept the SRAW, which is instead one of the two weapons able to penetrate Chopper-/ Jet-/ Vehicle glass.

Vodnik glass cant be shot through with normal weapons.
With Vodniks, Just run over to the driver's door an chuck a nade through the open window.
Or just do a drive by and shotty him

And if you got passengers in the back of the Vodnik, And if the vehicle is stationary, Piff a nade into the back opening
That's what I love about BF2. You can't press the middlemouse button to throw back the grenade

Last edited by Laura (2008-09-15 21:03:55)

https://i52.tinypic.com/98cz7p.png
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6398

I shot the driver of a Humvee with a M24 once.  Through the windscreen (he was driving towards me).

Last edited by some_random_panda (2008-09-15 22:04:45)

Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6149
Afaik any time a vehicle (with visible occupants) is moving there's a chance of a shot harming the occupants.  I say this because after 300+ chopper hours, I've been shot out of choppers by various guns, including .50 calls, APC cannons, LMGs, AKs, chopper bullets etc.  It's incredibly rare to be killed by anything excluding AT & M95 bullets, but it does happen very occasionally.  With the majority of weapons, it's probably just a (very hard to reproduce) glitch, so I wouldn't really class it as a threat.

Similarly, you can do all kinds of crazy shit in jets.  I've killed enemy jet pilots by shunting their plane and vice versa.  By this, I mean the plane of the victim is not even smoking, but the impact kills.
Zoeff
+5|5809|The Netherlands

Arnie_Ze_Austrian wrote:

Similarly, you can do all kinds of crazy shit in jets.  I've killed enemy jet pilots by shunting their plane and vice versa.  By this, I mean the plane of the victim is not even smoking, but the impact kills.
Hmm I've never heard of that before! So the plane body lags into the cockpit effectively giving you roadkill? Oh lawd...
Arnie_Ze_Austrian
+55|6149
Yup.  It's probably just laggy hitboxes + fast speeds + imprecision in collision algorithms = weirdness.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard