=Karma-Kills=
"Don't post while intoxicated."
+356|6606|England

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

I'll laugh my ass off if they don't find anything important that they didn't already know.

Which I think is what is going to be the case.
Actually, if they dont find anything that will be an advance.

As the energies are so great at the LHC, we would know that its not out lack of equipment that is holding back our understanding, but infact there is something more fundamental that down the line we have neglected, misunderstood or not understood properly at all.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6728|67.222.138.85

Bertster7 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory

Have you really never heard of either?
Quite the opposite in fact.

I don't understand how the discovery of the graviton would help String theory against the various other theories. All theories that I know of require the existence of a gravitron, String theory is just one way of explaining why there is a gravitron.
It's to do with the extra dimensional predictions made in various string theories. These predict gravitons forming and then vanishing into other dimensions. Seeing a graviton and then seeing it being gone are what they hope for.
...or they will disappear quickly as all other exotic particles do through experiments at this level because of their fundamental unstable nature.

String theory (M theory, whatever) explains a lot through fantastic means, without managing to predict anything new or be able to prove its most fundamental assumptions. The discovery of the Graviton wouldn't help its case any more than the case for dark matter.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6696|Canberra, AUS
At this level, a negative result is the same as a positive result in terms of advancement of knowledge.

String theory is unprovable at current energy levels. We simply don't have the energy to look into that kind of scale.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6311|Éire
I think the actual results will be far less dramatic than everyone thinks but will still be of great value to the scientific community. With a little luck they will get to observe the Higgs boson.
jord
+2,382|6699|The North, beyond the wall.

S.Lythberg wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

It would unifromly transfer its momentum to one of your protons, sending it flying off into oblivion, and turning one of your carbons into boron, destroying whatever molecule it was part of.

assuming you're in front of the beam, you'd be torn to shreds
If it didn't go straight through you. Most of you is nothing after all.
true, but charged particles will be drawn toward your protons, making a collision more likely.

even a near miss can ionize molecules and cause repulsion.

i wouldn't recommend standing in the beam anyway, the superconducting magnets required to focus the beam would shred you if the beam itself didn't
I want to volunteer, how do I go about it?
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6188

jord wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

If it didn't go straight through you. Most of you is nothing after all.
true, but charged particles will be drawn toward your protons, making a collision more likely.

i wouldn't recommend standing in the beam anyway, the superconducting magnets required to focus the beam would shred you if the beam itself didn't
You need a PhD.
jord

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

jord wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

You need a PhD.
What's that like an APC?

I just want to get superpowers, or be forever immortalised.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6244|Escea

jord wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

jord wrote:

You need a PhD.
What's that like an APC?

Cryogenics tbh, though you can't really do anything when you're in it.
jord

M.O.A.B wrote:

jord wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

You need a PhD.
What's that like an APC?

Fame never dies.
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6188

jord wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

jord wrote:

What's that like an APC?

Fame never dies.
Become the real Hulk and get frozen.  Maybe you will meet Fry and Dr. Zoidberg in the future.
jord

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

jord wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Fame never dies.
Become the real Hulk and get frozen.  Maybe you will meet Fry and Dr. Zoidberg in the future.
I would if someone could tell me how to get the ball rolling on this shit.
Adamvs
+3|5748|England
I dont know about anybody else but my guess of what will happen is-

After they've spent an hour running diagnostics to find out why its not working, only to find someone forgot to plug it into the wall socket.
It will probably be like the begining of halflife (not the bit where you have to mess around getting your suit on and finding the lab). Aliens from another dimension will start appearing randomly and then some scientist guy is gonna have to save us all.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6468|Chicago, IL

jord wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

jord wrote:

Fame never dies.
There are cryogenics labs in operation already, but I wouldn't trust my offspring to bother thawing me, the future's gonna have enough problems without me
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6244|Escea

Adamvs wrote:

After they've spent an hour running diagnostics to find out why its not working, only to find someone forgot to plug it into the wall socket.
It will probably be like the begining of halflife (not the bit where you have to mess around getting your suit on and finding the lab). Aliens from another dimension will start appearing randomly and then some scientist guy is gonna have to save us all.
With a monkey wrench to avoid copyright, and it'll be Morgan Freeman
jord

S.Lythberg wrote:

jord wrote:

MGS3_GrayFox wrote:

There are cryogenics labs in operation already, but I wouldn't trust my offspring to bother thawing me, the future's gonna have enough problems without me
Yeah but that doesn't give me powers. And those people aren't famous enough, the LHC thing is pretty well known.
Adamvs
+3|5748|England

M.O.A.B wrote:

lol
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6492
Guys don't panic, we have real pros in control!

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6568|the best galaxy
When messing with black holes it is important to wear plastic safety hard hats...
Now I feel safe.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6387|California
I want to become the Hulk, when it becomes active on wednesday, if im not the hulk by then, well I will become tony stark and make my own armor and become iron man
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6460|King Of The Islands

Worst doomsday ever.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6489

M.O.A.B wrote:

Adamvs wrote:

Adrian Shepard had a Monkey-Wrench in OpFor, so it would have to be something else (claw hammer?)
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6793|PNW

And the monkey flips the switch...

I'd somehow be more comfortable if they conducted bizarre physics experiments outside of our solar system.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-09-07 17:54:06)

Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6485|Tyne & Wear, England
Part 6 of the BBC documentary 'End Day'.

We're all gunna die !!!!
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6714

usmarine wrote:

i dont see the point in this.  seems like a huge waste of money.  but w/e.
It is to perhaps one day discover what and where gravitons are exactly/come from/go to. It is understood that gravity is caused by gravitational particle called gravitons. They can't be seen nor measured. We can see that energy is missing from where it should be (missing gravitons). The theory is that they transport to a different dimension. If we can fully understand what gravity is and how it can be manipulated we can expect awesome advancements in sciences such as space travel and who knows what else. Theoretical time travel even. Smashing atoms in the LHC is a way to study gravitons.
Major.League.Infidel
Make Love and War
+303|6499|Communist Republic of CA, USA
Anyone else using this as an excuse to get some?

Last edited by Major.League.Infidel (2008-09-07 23:02:44)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard