simmy.uk
+117|6443
Can someone explain to me about bike gears. I have 2 big gears at the front and 7 small gears at the bike. What combinations are for what?
Should I use the 7 gear for going fast downhill?

cheers
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6004|The Mitten
EE (hats
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6234|NSW, Australia

you should have two shifters near your thumbs

for going up hills have it on 1 on the left and 1 on the right,
just general riding, anywhere from 4 to 11 should be ok, you will get used to it after a while
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6848|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Wat? Never ridden a bike before
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6234|NSW, Australia

dont be scared when it makes an awful clacking sound, first time i rode a bike with gears i thought i mustve broke it, but it was just changing gears..

i was about 9 and i didnt ride my brand new bike again for about a month
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6498|N. Ireland
It's just like it is in a car. Once you cannot move any faster (or when your pedaling exceeds your comfort in a fast way) you change up a gear. As you would in a car, when you brake, change down a gear. For hills I find it is best to knock the bike down a gear or two until I am still pushing a bit but so that it isn't burning constantly.

Nappy wrote:

dont be scared when it makes an awful clacking sound, first time i rode a bike with gears i thought i mustve broke it, but it was just changing gears..

It sounds like you are changing gears while still pedaling. You shouldn't be doing that, it increases the likelihood of a chain brake. You should briefly stop pedaling while simultaneously changing gears, and then continue again. At least, that's what I learnt!

Last edited by kylef (2008-08-30 10:12:53)

simmy.uk
+117|6443
Riden bikes before but never 1 with so many gears.

So the lower the gear the steeper the hill and vis versa?
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6234|NSW, Australia

pretty much yeh

and yeh i figured that out after an hour or so of riding,
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6004|The Mitten

Wikipedia wrote:

For the same speed, or more accurately, power output at the rear wheel, a lower gear (larger mechanical advantage) will require the rider to pedal at a faster cadence, but with less force. Conversely, a higher gear (smaller mechanical advantage) allows a higher speed for a given cadence, but requiring greater force. Different cyclists may have different preferences for cadence and pedalling force. Prolonged exertion of too much force in too high a gear at too low a speed can increase the chance of knee damage.
Basically, the lower the gear, the less force you'll need to use, but the slower you'll go.
EE (hats
Brasso
+1,549|6635

larger numbers - harder to pedal but more revolution of the wheel with less actual pedaling.  for going fast.
small numbers - easier to pedal, less revolution of the wheel, more pedaling.  for going up hills.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6771|UK

kylef wrote:

Nappy wrote:

It sounds like you are changing gears while still pedaling. You shouldn't be doing that, it increases the likelihood of a chain brake. You should briefly stop pedaling while simultaneously changing gears, and then continue again. At least, that's what I learnt!
Don't know how that works. You can't actually change the gear its on without pedalling. The chain requires the gears to turn to be able to drop down or go up a gear.
simmy.uk
+117|6443
Ok good thanks. I went for a 2.5 hour bike ride today and i found it really hard going up the hills.
cheers thanks
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6498|N. Ireland

Vilham wrote:

kylef wrote:

Nappy wrote:

Don't know how that works. You can't actually change the gear its on without pedalling. The chain requires the gears to turn to be able to drop down or go up a gear.
When you start pedaling again it will click smoothly into place
Microwave
_
+515|6660|Loughborough Uni / Leeds, UK
When you're going downhill always go in the biggest ring at the front...it reduces the slack in the chain - less noise and less chance of it coming off.
Microwave
_
With regard to the changing gear....you change WHILST pedalling but just not so the chain is tense. For example don't change gear whilst stood up pedalling or whilst pushing really hard on the pedals.

You should change gear whilst pedalling lightly. This applies more the 'less good' your bike is. Better bikes with more capable rear mechs can take more aggressive shifting.
simmy.uk
+117|6443
what do the front gears do again?
Microwave
_
The front gears are for big adjustments, you do most of the general shifting at the back.

In general at the front gears (not always the case) : uphill - smallest ring, flat - middle or biggest, downhill - biggest
CrazeD
+368|6678|Maine

simmy.uk wrote:

Think of the front gear as a multiplier. On a 21 speed bike, you'll have 7 gears in the rear and 3 in front. Gear 1 on the front gives you gears 1-7 in the rear, gear 2 on the front gives you gears 8-14 on the rear, and gear 3 on the front gives you gears 15-21 on the rear. Same principle for XX-speed bike.
Ryan
+1,230|6848|Alberta, Canada

simmy.uk wrote:

Think of them as a coarse adjustment, and the gears near your back tire are fine adjustments.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6696|Devon, England
I personally never leave gear 2 on the pedal ones (not sure what it's technical name is) and then just stick in 2's. 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

It's also because my old bike, if I would land it heavy after something (even just a step), the chain would come off the pedal gear part and go down one. So if it was on 1, it would fall off completely.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6277
Lowest gears = more torque (but less speed) for getting up hills.
Highest gears = more speed (but less torque) for going fast.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6626|London, England
I used to be an expert (ok not an expert, but I knew my shit) now you've reminded me that I've completely forgot how it all works. I haven't rode on a bike in years now, YEARS.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6277

CrazeD wrote:

simmy.uk wrote:

Think of the front gear as a multiplier. On a 21 speed bike, you'll have 7 gears in the rear and 3 in front. Gear 1 on the front gives you gears 1-7 in the rear, gear 2 on the front gives you gears 8-14 on the rear, and gear 3 on the front gives you gears 15-21 on the rear. Same principle for XX-speed bike.
Correct.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6397|Southern California

kylef wrote:

It's just like it is in a car. Once you cannot move any faster (or when your pedaling exceeds your comfort in a fast way) you change up a gear. As you would in a car, when you brake, change down a gear. For hills I find it is best to knock the bike down a gear or two until I am still pushing a bit but so that it isn't burning constantly.

Nappy wrote:

lol, anyone who having problem with bike gears probably doesn't have a ton of manual transmission experience to draw on

You don't need to worry about what actual sprocket it being used as I doubt you gonna move the chain by hand, the gear shifters on the handle bars are all you need to worry about. 1st is gonna be the lowest gear, you can pedal like hell and go no where in this gear, but it will give you a lot of power to get the bike started or pull it up a hill. If its too hard to pedal shift down, if it feels too easy to pedal (like its almost not doing anything) shift up.

As you said, you have a set of sprocket at the pedals, and a set at the wheels....You should also have two shifters, basically one of the shifters is for the gear ranges in between the other... in other words generally you left shifter will make large changes in gear ratio, and your right one will make smaller changes. Start out with them both in 1st, and run through all the gears on your right as you accelerate. Once you need to go faster then the top gear range on the right will allow you put the left shifter into 2nd, and the right one back into first. Basically your going through every gear on the right for each gear on the left.

As far as what does a little gear and a big gear mean, ect.. Gears are basically levers, and levers change distance/speed for power/torque.
If you have a basic lever with 1 foot on one side of the pivot, and 3 feet on the other side of the pivot any force you put on the short side will move the long side 3 times as much, but with 1/3 the force. Oppositely any force you put on the long side will move the short side 1/3 the distance, but with 3 times the force.

The chain connects the two sprockets, and moves with both of them. One complete rotation of the sprocket means the chain moves the same amount as the circumference of the sprocket.  So if the driving sprocket is bigger then the driven sprocket one rotation moves enough chain to turn the driven sprocket more then once. Since they are connected by the same chain this takes the same amount of time, and the driving sprocket is moving slower then the driven sprocket, and so you pick up speed, but to do this you much sacrifice torque.

So anytime you have a gear, sprocket or pulley where the driving one is larger you will be increasing the speed driven one at the cost of torque. Any time you have a smaller one driving a larger one you will be increasing torque at the cost of speed.
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6240|S.A. Australia
How could this thread even warrant a response?  30 seconds of riding tells you what needs to be done in the gear department...
Serious Flex

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard