FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

All this thrash about Biden has brought something to the forefront of my mind again:

Should the VP candidate be selected by the Presidential nominee, or should they be elected by the party voters? Should the Pres/VP ticket be decided by who finished 1 & 2 in the primaries?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6429|Germany
I think it's better if they are selected by the president. If everything goes normal (the president doesn't die), the VP will assist the president. He then is just another secretary, who are also selected by the president. This makes sure they get along with each other and decisions can be made rather quick. If the VP was elected by the people, it might happen that president and vice-president work against each other because of personal interests. This would mean that the government works less effective.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

The campaign for President would become even longer and more drawn out if they did that. Plus, who would actually bother to run if they had to get elected?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6485|N. Ireland
Selected over elected. Only the President would really know what is best for his idealogies, imo.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6698|67.222.138.85
Elected, mostly because I could quite honestly see the fact that they are #2 in line for the presidency being abused in the future.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6144|what

Selected.

If Americans were dumb enough to vote for Bush twice, imagine what they could do with the Vice-Presidency...
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
ReTox
+100|6490|State of RETOXification
I think whoever is 2nd in the polls, after the nomination has been secured, should be second in line for the top job.  That would best reflect the public's preference.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Elected, mostly because I could quite honestly see the fact that they are #2 in line for the presidency being abused in the future.
Yeah, potentially. In the UK we're currently stuck with Gordon Brown, despite the fact that he was appointed to his previous position, and has not been elected by the British public for anything in his life. I personally think a system where an election is called soon after the VP becomes President would be better; just someone who is there for a few weeks or months until someone approved by the people is brought in.

I don't hold with the idea of the VP being elected though, I think it would be too easy for two people that despise each other to be forced to work together for 4 (or more) years. Imagine if Hillary had been made VP (as by the popular vote she would have been).
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire
If a system of election is favoured over selection you may end up with a Presidential team that are not actually on the same page on a lot of issues and will hence be a lot less efficient in terms of getting certain things done.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6520|Global Command

ReTox wrote:

I think whoever is 2nd in the polls, after the nomination has been secured, should be second in line for the top job.  That would best reflect the public's preference.
The way I understand the democrats rules that is the way it is..
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6335|tropical regions of london
people really think the vice president does more than just sit on his ass.   he's a tie breaker and a president in waiting.  thats all.

Last edited by God Save the Queen (2008-08-25 06:43:59)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6681|Tampa Bay Florida

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

chittydog
less busy
+586|6826|Kubra, Damn it!

ATG wrote:

ReTox wrote:

The way I understand the democrats rules that is the way it is..
When was Biden 2nd in the polls?
IRONCHEF
+385|6482|Northern California
Good topic.  Never considered those options but after reading some responses, I'd agree that if the VP is selected by the president, the VP should be someone worthy of presidency because that's their primary concern for citizens of the country.  So then should the people select the VP by having the #2 winner in the primaries assume the spot?  What if there was an ugly mudslinging primary (I know, impossible to imagine!)?

I would think that in this day and age, especially given Obama's liking of "cyber-campaigning" that maybe he should have fielded his supporters for who they'd like as the VP and he can use that, or not, to select his VP?  Of course people like McCain who's likely never navigated an internets page before in his life (or email), would suffer (or hire a bunch of teens do manage his cyber-campaign).

I say: Let the pres pick his vp.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6335|tropical regions of london
Dan Quayle
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547

God Save the Queen wrote:

Dan Quayle
The future will be better tomorrow.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

CameronPoe wrote:

God Save the Queen wrote:

Dan Quayle
The future will be better tomorrow.
"I'll spell potatoe whatever way I like!"
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina

TheAussieReaper wrote:

Selected.

If Americans were dumb enough to vote for Bush twice, imagine what they could do with the Vice-Presidency...
QFT

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard