ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Making a Killing by James Ashcroft

Between coalition troops and the Iraqi security forces lies an unnamed and uncounted third column:  soldiers of fortune.  In September 2003, James Ashcroft, a former British Infantry captain who served in West Belfast and Bosnia, landed in Iraq as a 'gun for hire'.  It was the beginning of an 18-month journey into chaos.  Ashcroft provides a first-hand view of the secret world of private security where ex-soldiers employed to protect US and British interests can make up to $1,000 a day.  But he also reveals a new kind of warfare where the rules - if you can call them that - are still being written.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Killing-Ja … 1852273119
I bought it a few days ago when I was at the airport, and it's a great insight into what Iraq is really like, and paints quite a different picture to what you hear in the media; especially with regard to all the good that occurs every day there, with both troops, contractors and Iraqi's. Ashcroft also appears quite informed in Iraqi history, so it isn't entirely an action novel, but also a lot of analysis of the problems that face the people on the ground there.

Obviously I don't expect everyone to rush out and buy it, but if you're interested in the Iraq conflict and get the opportunity to read it, I would most definitely recommend it.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

i actually saw this book but have yet to buy it.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York
Pff.

I only read Pro-US propaganda.

Sounds interesting though. I still have to finish up In The Company Of Heroes and Flyboys.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6753

Poseidon wrote:

Pff.

Sounds interesting though. I still have to finish up In The Company Of Heroes and Flyboys.
no worries, its a brit.  which may surpirse some of the media sheep around here.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

Poseidon wrote:

Pff.

Fanboy you mean?  j/k
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

usmarine wrote:

Have you seen http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/ ?
Watch it, seriously. I have had a few marine buddies recommend it to me.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command

Kmarion wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Have you seen http://www.hbo.com/generationkill/ ?
Watch it, seriously. I have had a few marine buddies recommend it to me.
I read the book.

tbh, seemed cynical and anti American.

Well written though.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire
I'm still making heavy work of "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Nietzsche, only 30 pages left but after that I think I might go for something like "Biggles Goes Flying" next.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command

Braddock wrote:

I'm still making heavy work of "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" by Nietzsche, only 30 pages left but after that I think I might go for something like "Biggles Goes Flying" next.
Dog fighting tales eh?

Sounds interesting.
Ratzinger
+43|6384|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
As an aside, I saw an ad for a book called "The Bible for Dummies".

Now, you may correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that niche in the market already filled by the real Bible?
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Ratzinger wrote:

As an aside, I saw an ad for a book called "The Bible for Dummies".

Now, you may correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that niche in the market already filled by the real Bible?
Burn.

Will look for the book, not likely to find it though. I am really interested in the new age mercs tbh. Seems like a pretty dangerous concept.

Next, my recommended reading, if anybody is into WW1 stuff, is Somme Mud. Pretty epic.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6734|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann
he was in West Belfast - Dun Dun DUNNNNNNN!! I wonder did he ever go to Féile an Phobail    might order this for when I finish War and Peace which is a long slog tbh..

Last edited by IG-Calibre (2008-08-25 02:39:42)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard