Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6629|Stockholm, Sweden
hey,

I have started to experience some flickering and lines/stripes on the screen when I play games, more for some games and less or not at all for some. It's still annoying though, is there usually one or two possible causes/solutions for this? It must have to do with my graphics card, which is a HD 4850 OCd to 690 MHZ with CCC (It didnt happen before I OCd it). What can I do?
']['error.V2
Om nom nom nom
+48|5836
undo the OC
Mitch92uK
aka [DBS]Mitch92uK
+192|6258|United Kingdom

']['error.V2 wrote:

undo the OC
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
But of course I want to keep my card OCd, that was the point of OCing it. Is there no other way? Some kind of special driver, OCing it with another program?
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6560|Long Island, New York

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

But of course I want to keep my card OCd, that was the point of OCing it. Is there no other way? Some kind of special driver, OCing it with another program?
You might want to, but unless you want to stop it, you're gonna need to atleast decrease it a bit or get a better GPU cooler than the stock fan.

They're not that much money and worth the upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835106112
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6590|NYC / Hamburg

Your OC is apparently too high. Apart from from doing voltmods, you'll have to just lower the clocks a little
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6476|The Twilight Zone
Check the load temps first.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
forgot to mention, I have an Accelero s1 rev2 on my 4850. Load temps never go above 50C. And the flickering pretty much only happens when I play games with crappy graphics like Lego Inidana Jones or Dreamfall. I played Cod4 just a minute ago and it worked perfectly. When i OCd in CCC i even used the recommended settings. but decreasing the OC seems like my only option so I'll have to go for that then. thanks
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6486|cuntshitlake

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

forgot to mention, I have an Accelero s1 rev2 on my 4850. Load temps never go above 50C. And the flickering pretty much only happens when I play games with crappy graphics like Lego Inidana Jones or Dreamfall. I played Cod4 just a minute ago and it worked perfectly. When i OCd in CCC i even used the recommended settings. but decreasing the OC seems like my only option so I'll have to go for that then. thanks
4850 pretty much runs everything out atm perfectly even at stock.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Ryan
+1,230|6866|Alberta, Canada

If it's due to OCing, check your temps, and try getting something to cool your card down.
It could be problems with your monitor too.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
Now that I think about it I did have some issues getting the Accelero S1 on my 4850, or actually not so much the cooler itself as the RAM heatsinks (anyone who has an accelero knows what Im talking about...). The small motherfuckers keep on falling off all the time when you working with getting the cooler on, and one of heat pipes leading away from the heat spreader blocks on of the RAM heat sinks a bit, so i had to bend it and now it only sits over half the RAM piece. This could be one of the reasons, but most likely that would only cause that specific RAM piece to overheat once in a while - and I dont think thats an issue since I haven noticed anything until recently and all my other games work perfectly...
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

Ryan wrote:

If it's due to OCing, check your temps, and try getting something to cool your card down.
It could be problems with your monitor too.
i'll try to "underclock" it or decrease the speed, whatever you wanna call it. But the temps are fine I think. Also have a chassi(Antec 300) fan blowing on to the card.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6486|cuntshitlake

What program have you used to check temps?

If none, download RivaTuner GPU-Z

Rivatuner does not support HD48xx yet.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-08-19 14:26:57)

Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
I have GPU-Z. Right now, at pretty much idle I get a reading of 37 C. BTW, does anyone know what the the other three GPU temperatures are for? (eg #1, #2, #3) They read, 37.5 - 40 - 38

Last edited by Snorkelfarsan (2008-08-19 15:02:48)

Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6572|UK

Maybe core, 4800 series cards if I remember tend to have hot PCB's, while the core isnt too bad (atleast I think).

Also, even if your temps seem fine, it doesnt make it stable, there is a limit it will hit where your just pushing to hard.  Did you go up in incriments or just whack it up as high as you wanted?

Bring it down, I cant imagen the OC is giving you any meaningful performance boost other than bragging rights.  If its not quick enough for you get a 4870/GTX 280.

Martyn

Last edited by Bell (2008-08-19 15:47:49)

csmag
+92|6469|Canada

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

After reading this, I'm assuming that maybe the flickering is being caused by playing old games with a newer gfx card/drivers. If it were oc'ed too high wouldn't it flicker in cod 4 as well?
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6768

If you have xfire running, alt tab in and out and the flickering will go away - my xfire started flickering anytime a round ends on bf2 since the latest update.  Alt tabbing in and out fixes it.

If ur OC'ing see above.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6220|Winland

On a 4850, there is absolutely no point in overclocking the core, as the vRAM is bottlenecking it. Clock up the RAM, leave the core on stock. The only difference, and reason for the 4870 to cost so much, is the presence of super-fast, quad-pumped GDDR5.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

Bell wrote:

Also, even if your temps seem fine, it doesnt make it stable, there is a limit it will hit where your just pushing to hard.  Did you go up in incriments or just whack it up as high as you wanted?
I did the thing where you let CCC tell you what your maximum stable overclock is, both for GPU and RAM. So both are slightly overclocked, I didnt just crank it up.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

On a 4850, there is absolutely no point in overclocking the core, as the vRAM is bottlenecking it. Clock up the RAM, leave the core on stock. The only difference, and reason for the 4870 to cost so much, is the presence of super-fast, quad-pumped GDDR5.
Ok, that seems right. However, Im planning on going CF with another 4850 soon, so maybe then I wont need another 70 MHZ of core speed.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
Ok, I tried lowering the Gpu clock, but that didnt really help. then i lowered the memory clock just a few MHZ, and now the game's ok I think. The mem clock is at 1110 MHZ and the GPU clock is set at 630 MHZ, it's good enough I think. Should I try to OC it with Rivatuner instead?
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6476|The Twilight Zone
Ye memory tends to overheat quicker than the core. You might wanna consider ramsinks for he card's memory chips. I even cool off my mosfets.

Last edited by .Sup (2008-08-20 08:57:35)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
i have the crappy heatsinks on the memory chips that came with Accelero s1, i'm thinking about maybe getting a couple of Zalman heatsinks instead.
DUnlimited
+1,160|6486|cuntshitlake

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

i have the crappy heatsinks on the memory chips that came with Accelero s1, i'm thinking about maybe getting a couple of Zalman heatsinks instead.
The heatsinks are good enough, but the sticker they are attached with sucks. Just get some adhesive glue and reattach them.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6220|Winland

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

The heatsinks are good enough, but the sticker they are attached with sucks. Just get some adhesive glue and reattach them.
I still wonder how it comes that my sinks attached without a hitch
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
DUnlimited
+1,160|6486|cuntshitlake

Freezer7Pro wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

I still wonder how it comes that my sinks attached without a hitch
Rev2, plus it was bought by me <3

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard