Mavik
+22|5784|Germany
Friend shocked me this evening, that I would not be able to run an XP system with 4GB.
I knew that XP would only be able to use something like 3GB but he said I could get into trouble to run it alltogether.

And you cannot use extra RAM for PCIe graphics as you could with AGP - meaning the BIOS setting "aperture someting"?

Should I cancel my order and switch it from 2x2GB to 2x1GB modules?
bf2gammer
+14|6228
no. it will work fine. it will just show up as around 3gb and only use 3gb
Mavik
+22|5784|Germany
Even if it had to use "half" of one module?
What about dual-channeling?
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6007|The Mitten
I think it depends on if it's a 32 or 64 bit OS.... 32 can't really process RAM higher that 3.4 gigs or something....
EE (hats
G-NOT_(:0)
Banned
+19|6007

Mavik wrote:

Even if it had to use "half" of one module?
What about dual-channeling?
you're fine, just order those sticks
jaymz9350
+54|6585
yeah it will be just fine.  I dual boot with vista x64 and xp 32 with 4 gig and have no problems at all with xp, it just can't use all 4 gig but it doen't need it anyway.
CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine
Dual channel will still work.
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)
OK, here's how it works:

There are several factors involved - the first, and most important, is your motherboard - many older motherboards will not support above 3GB - this is not because it is a 32bit system, or because of windows, or anything other than the specific chip-set and motherboard design.

Secondly, all 32bit systems support a 4GB address space - and what is an 'address space'? Well, it is, in layman's terms, the amount of 'memory' available to each process (application) that is running - now, due to cleverness, this 4GB doesn't all need to exist within physical memory - some may be in the swap file - and so, every process that is running can, in theory, use a whole 4GB all to itself.

Thirdly, and the reason most people think a 32bit system doesn't support 4GB, is that in x86 systems various parts of the hardware (e.g. IO device (USB ports, etc, etc) as well as video and sound cards) use 'memory mapped IO' - that is, in order for the operating system to communicate with the hardware, the hardware is given an area of memory that it and the OS use to pass data between each other.

So, what does this mean? Well, essentially, if your mobo supports 4GB of physical RAM, you can install 4GB and it will work, but, when you boot into windows it will tell you it has 3-and-a-bit GB (the 'and-a-bit' varies in size, depending on the hardware involved) - this is perfectly normal and does not mean that the missing RAM is not working, just that it is not available for applications.

So, in short, yes it'll work (probably).

Oh, and yes, it'll still run in dual-channel mode.

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-07-28 20:30:22)

CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

OK, here's how it works:

There are several factors involved - the first, and most important, is your motherboard - many older motherboards will not support above 3GB - this is not because it is a 32bit system, or because of windows, or anything other than the specific chip-set and motherboard design.

Secondly, all 32bit systems support a 4GB address space - and what is an 'address space'? Well, it is, in layman's terms, the amount of 'memory' available to each process (application) that is running - now, due to cleverness, this 4GB doesn't all need to exist within physical memory - some may be in the swap file - and so, every process that is running can, in theory, use a whole 4GB all to itself.

Thirdly, and the reason most people think a 32bit system doesn't support 4GB, is that in x86 systems various parts of the hardware (e.g. IO device (USB ports, etc, etc) as well as video and sound cards) use 'memory mapped IO' - that is, in order for the operating system to communicate with the hardware, the hardware is given an area of memory that it and the OS use to pass data between each other.

So, what does this mean? Well, essentially, if your mobo supports 4GB of physical RAM, you can install 4GB and it will work, but, when you boot into windows it will tell you it has 3-and-a-bit GB (the 'and-a-bit' varies in size, depending on the hardware involved) - this is perfectly normal and does not mean that the missing RAM is not working, just that it is not available for applications.

So, in short, yes it'll work (probably).

Oh, and yes, it'll still run in dual-channel mode.
You should make a macro for your explanation. You seem to type it a lot.
Mavik
+22|5784|Germany

CrazeD wrote:

But he does it well.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

A very long time ago Kerry wrote:

What you see will vary depending on your configuration. You need that additional address space in 64 bit.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6714|67.222.138.85
I see 2.75 gb
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6205|Winland

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I see 2.75 gb
Your tri-SLI'd 9800GX2 1GB cards' fault tbh
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Mavik
+22|5784|Germany

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I see 2.75 gb
But it is not lossed, so it would be fine.

As long as the invisible part of my memory is good for something - or at least not making any trouble - I am fine.

PS: Hell, there seems to be a shortage in Corsair RAMs at nearly every supplier at the moment - ETA 08.08.08 ...
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

CrazeD wrote:

Don't I know it.

Mavik wrote:

But he does it well.
Why thank you.

Soon, please god, soon, I won't ever have to type it ever again...

(oh and, freezer, sorry mate, but you're not my type )

Last edited by Scorpion0x17 (2008-07-29 13:19:11)

CrazeD
+368|6680|Maine

Mavik wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I see 2.75 gb

As long as the invisible part of my memory is good for something - or at least not making any trouble - I am fine.

PS: Hell, there seems to be a shortage in Corsair RAMs at nearly every supplier at the moment - ETA 08.08.08 ...
So get something else.

G.Skill and OCZ are both good choices.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6476

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Copy & Paste tbh.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Scorpion0x17
+691|6773|Cambridge (UK)

NooBesT wrote:

Scorpion0x17 wrote:

Copy & Paste tbh.
I so should do that.

But I don't.
Mavik
+22|5784|Germany

CrazeD wrote:

Mavik wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

So get something else.

G.Skill and OCZ are both good choices.
Nope, I accepted to pay 10€ more and got them.

All running well as of now - stress test to follow this evening. *cracks knuckles*

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard