Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080807/ap_ … q_us_bases
https://i33.tinypic.com/21japfo.jpg
BAGHDAD - Two Iraqi officials say the U.S. and Iraq are close to a deal under which all American combat troops would leave by October 2010 with remaining U.S. forces gone about three years later.

A U.S. official in Washington acknowledges progress has been made on the timelines for a U.S. departure but offered no firm date. Another U.S. official strongly suggested the 2010 date may be too ambitious.

A timetable is part of a security agreement being negotiated by U.S. and Iraqi officials. Both sides stress the deal is not final and could fall apart over the issue of legal immunity for American troops.

One of the U.S. officials said Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki had a long and "very difficult" telephone conversation Wednesday in which she pressed the Iraqi leader for more flexibility, particularly on immunity.
So we won’t be getting an Obama-esque 16-month timetable after all. We’ll be getting an … 18-month time horizon. Nuance.

Residual forces will supposedly be out by 2013, the same year McCain targeted for final withdrawal in his Iraq speech a few months ago (doubtless because it would mark the very end of his first term). A lieutenant colonel in the Iraqi Army told the NYT earlier this week that they’d need U.S. troop support until 2015; another officer who didn’t hazard an estimate simply said that without American combat troops Iraq will be “a big disaster.” Bush will, of course, emphasize that the time frame here is conditions-based (the same thing Obama has said), but expectations have a momentum all their own. Barring a severe deterioration in security, public pressure on the Iraqi government to enforce the timetable now that they’ve committed to it will be intense, if for no other reason than that Sadr is already making a stink about it and will demagogue it to gain leverage over them if they fail to follow through. Likely result: The IA will be pressed into a lead role before they’re ready and some of those “residual” U.S. troops will find themselves drafted back into a combat/peacekeeper role. That’s probably the most politically palatable solution for all sides, since it would maintain the all-important reduction in absolute numbers while allowing for a more vigorous presence below the radar than the timetable imagines.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6700|Tampa Bay Florida
I can't believe it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

Spearhead wrote:

I can't believe it.
's not butter?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ghettoperson
+1,943|6659

Kmarion wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

I can't believe it.
's not butter?
I can. Fucking shitty tasting stuff.
The#1Spot
+105|6550|byah

ghettoperson wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

I can't believe it.
's not butter?
agreed it almost tastes like cheese
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6700|Tampa Bay Florida

The#1Spot wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

's not butter?
agreed it almost tastes like cheese
Its still not as bad as smart balance.... blech
Roc18
`
+655|5801|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
Now he want's to pull out.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6717|67.222.138.85
I want to hear what a military analyst has to say about this time table, not another fucking politician.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6334|New Haven, CT

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I want to hear what a military analyst has to say about this time table, not another fucking politician.
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6463|Ontario, Canada
It doesn't matter when they put out of Iraq, because right after they'll be pulling into Iran.
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6503|N. Ireland
Will it stick, though?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
Is it still considered withdrawal when you have 50 bases that remain in place afterward?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565
"Remaining troops." lol Pathetic.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2008-08-08 02:28:04)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6163|what

Another 3 years is still a long way away.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
latinolink
plop plop flop flop
+11|6667|west liberty IA
quick give a patriotic excuse to stay there....w8 we already used if the terrorists have it their way Hitler would be resurrected oh well lets just for some terrorist disaster to happen and say we need to fight back again.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6772

CameronPoe wrote:

"Remaining troops." lol Pathetic.
oh shut up

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard