Roomba
You will pay the price for your lack of vision.
+26|6510|Land of Cotton
Sigh...

I knew this day was coming. I opened my case to put in a back up HDD and look what was waiting for me:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/ … usMB_1.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k214/ … usMB_2.jpg

That is a capacitor right under the CPU. This board has been very reliable for four years. Oddly enough, the thing still ran but I am sure if I should turn it back on.

So I am reaching out to my fellow community. Mostly for some sympathy as I know I am going to have to scrap this board. My options are somewhat limited. I have found a $50 replacement option that would utilize my components as it is now. This would keep me in the AGP ages.  I would like to jump into the dual core arena. I have been able to put something decent together for about $250. It would involve getting a new MB, RAM, CPU and HDD. The MB would allow me to upgrade in the future.

What would you do? Is there any way to salvage the board by replacing the cap? Should I just move on?

Here are the current specs on my aging but reliable machine: Asus A7N8X MB, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5 GB Corsair RAM (3 x 512 MB), Sapphire X1650 Pro AGP with 512 MB RAM, WD 320 GB IDE HDD, two optical drives, Raidmax Scorpio case with 430 W power supply.

I could probably salvage some money off the CPU, RAM and video card. Sadly, that video card is 6 months old.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6556|Long Island, New York
Probably safer to just move on and upgrade.

Especially with those specs.

Christ, I wouldn't wanna touch that thing (the cap I mean).
ghettoperson
+1,943|6667

I'd give replacing the cap a shot. Easy to do, I know a couple of people that have done it; you just need a steady hand with a soldering iron.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6471|The Twilight Zone
Buy a new capacitor and solder it. (is my sentence grammatically correct?)
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6609|Reisterstown, MD

.Sup wrote:

Looks good to me.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6481|cuntshitlake

.Sup wrote:

Very much worth a try. The capacitor will not be more than a few dollars and you cannot do any more harm.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6215|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Buy a new capacitor and solder it.
You have any idea of where one could find caps? I need some for an LCD screen with bad PSU.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
aimless
+166|6143|Texas

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Buy a new capacitor and solder it.
You have any idea of where one could find caps? I need some for an LCD screen with bad PSU.
www.mouser.com www.digikey.com www.alliedelec.com

My dad uses these to get all his components. He orders in bulk though so I'm not exactly sure how it'd work out if you just want one. You'd also have to make sure you have the correct one.
Roomba
+26|6510|Land of Cotton
Hey, thanks for your kind suggestions.

The consensus is to attempt to replace the capacitor.  My banker (aka the missus) agrees.  I'll probably go to a local shop once I remove the thing. Most I saw online were well less than $10 more like $5. I see this as something that I can attempt. Maybe luck will smile upon me.

I found this guy's attempt. He replaced a few. I only see one that is giving me trouble.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1081/index.asp

And this one has good stuff, too.

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=31

I'll keep ya'll posted.
Brasso
+1,549|6648

I have soldered nothing in my entire life, so I hope you have.  GL
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
.Sup
be nice

haffeysucks wrote:

I have soldered nothing in my entire life, so I hope you have.  GL
I don't solder much, mostly fixing old speakers. Haven't soldered in ages. I wonder if the grease is still greasy lol.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6481|cuntshitlake

I should change 3 caps in an old MSI K7T Turbo too, This inspired me back on that task. Gonna order the caps next week and do it.
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
Roomba
+26|6510|Land of Cotton
Update:

First, I just spent an hour running around to find the 3300 micro-Farad, 6.3V cap. I am disappointed in Radio Shack. They completely skip over the 3300 microfarad ones.  Even an electronic repair store did not have the cap. Perplexing.  After talking on the phone with many polite computer or electronic repair shops, I found one that had the caps but would not sell them. He wanted to look at the MB and replace all five caps. Not exactly what I wanted. I am going to try to find them on-line.

Gleam of hope for my other $50 option to replace the MB and CPU: One shop told me that I did not have to reformat the HDD for another board. Just do a repair when booting from disc. I am not 100% about that one. Thoughts?
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6215|Winland

Roomba wrote:

Update:

First, I just spent an hour running around to find the 3300 micro-Farad, 6.3V cap. I am disappointed in Radio Shack. They completely skip over the 3300 microfarad ones.  Even an electronic repair store did not have the cap. Perplexing.  After talking on the phone with many polite computer or electronic repair shops, I found one that had the caps but would not sell them. He wanted to look at the MB and replace all five caps. Not exactly what I wanted. I am going to try to find them on-line.

Gleam of hope for my other $50 option to replace the MB and CPU: One shop told me that I did not have to reformat the HDD for another board. Just do a repair when booting from disc. I am not 100% about that one. Thoughts?
You should always reformat when getting a new motherboard.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Roomba wrote:

Update:

Yep, agree.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6599|SE London

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Roomba wrote:

Update:

Yep, agree.
Totally right.

Unless it's the same chipset. That's usually ok.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6735|Riva, MD
Be sure to get a cap for your sound card as well, desolder the old one and put on the newer and bigger one and it improves the quality and makes it louder and clearer.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard