User007Gamer
???
+21|5990|Dubai, UAE
What do you think would happen?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563
We would all go flying horizontally at a tremendous speed and probably all die.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6672|NT, like Mick Dundee

CameronPoe wrote:

Probably, but what would effect would gravity have?
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563

Flecco wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I'd have to get out my calculator and a pen and paper. We probably wouldn't escape orbit would we? We'd be shredded through all the land based obstacles for a start anyway.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6714|67.222.138.85
Well let's see, the earth is about 25k miles in circumference and it makes that distance in 24 hours, so that comes out to about 1,000 miles per hour right? 1000(5280)t - 16t2 = height above earth in feet at t time.

edit: minus air resistance and actual elevation and blah blah blah, it's rough here. I think that might push us out of orbit however.

NASA should definitely look into it as an alternative to the space shuttle.
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6191|Ireland
So the air is spinning at the same speed we are, no matter how high up the air is? 

Me thinks their is a flaw in this theory.
Mavik
+22|5784|Germany
You mean an instant full stop? Everything would roll across the floor, the gravity of earth is still the same as it depends on the mass not the rotation.

Gravity would even get higher - well, the "felt" gravity, because the centrifugal force "pushes" us the other way as long as the earth spins.
Flaming_Maniac

Lotta_Drool wrote:

So the air is spinning at the same speed we are, no matter how high up the air is? 

Me thinks their is a flaw in this theory.
It took me a long time to grasp this idea...when I was 9.

Take a ball in a car even a convertible, get going at whatever speed. Drop the ball. Does it fly to the back of the car? No, it drops straight down. Do doughnuts in the car. The ball still drops relatively straight down, because it is moving with the car. As does the air over the earth.

Think about storms. Do they stay in one place as the earth rotates underneath them?

Mavik wrote:

You mean an instant full stop? Everything would roll across the floor, the gravity of earth is still the same as it depends on the mass not the rotation.

Gravity would even get higher - well, the "felt" gravity, because the centrifugal force "pushes" us the other way as long as the earth spins.
Everything would do a lot more than roll across the floor. There is a lot of momentum here.
HollisHurlbut
+51|6005
I actually figured this out once, nerd that I am, because someone made the claim on another forum I frequent that Earth would lose its gravity if it stopped spinning.  At first I called him an idiot because gravity is dependant upon mass.  But then I got to thinking that mass and energy are related by Einstein's famous E=mc^2.  Since Earth's rotation imparts upon it a certain rotational kinetic energy, I decided to calculate it and deduct the corresponding contribution of that energy from the pull we feel now.

I forget the exact figure, but the downward force exerted by a 1-N weight at sea level would have changed by something like a few yoctonewtons.  (That's an SI prefix, like kilo- or nano-, but in this case it's 10^-24.  By way of comparison, it's a micro-nano-nanonewton.)

If pressed, I could be convinced to figure it out again...
topal63
. . .
+533|6726
Brains in a Box- What would happen if the Earth stopped spinning?

The days would be longer than usual.
Buckles
Cheeky Keen
+329|6564|Kent, UK

topal63 wrote:

Brains in a Box- What would happen if the Earth stopped spinning?

The days would be longer than usual.
Ding ding ding!
Winnar!

Because of inertia, everything not attached would fly east-wards. and die.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England

CameronPoe wrote:

Flecco wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I'd have to get out my calculator and a pen and paper. We probably wouldn't escape orbit would we? We'd be shredded through all the land based obstacles for a start anyway.
Earth's rotation = 1700Km/h

Escape velocity = 11.2Km/s = 40320Km/h

I just got the figures from wiki.

No chance anything would be sent into orbit. And that's only if the Earth stopped rotating instantly and didn't slow down at all would you fly really fast somewhere. Like if some faggot put his hand on the basketball whilst you're spinning it on your finger (replace faggot with devil, finger with gods finger and basketball with earth, if you want to get religious)

We'd also be tidally locked with the Sun which would probably kill both sides of the planet and have a small habitable zone in between or something like that

Because of its small separation from Gliese 581, the planet is quite likely to be tidally locked, with one hemisphere always day (facing the star) and the other always night (facing away).[18]. Even then, the planet would undergo violent tidal flexing, because the orbital eccentricity is between 0.09 and 0.23. Eccentric planets can also be found in a non-synchronous tidal lock, as is Mercury, which is tidally locked in a 3:2 ratio. The permanently lit hemisphere would be extremely hot and the dark hemisphere extremely cold, while the narrow terminator or "twilight zone" between them might have a moderate climate more suitable for life. In any case, even in case of 1:1 tidal lock, the planet would undergo libration and the terminator would be alternatively lit and darkened during libration.[19]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gliese_581_c#Tidal_forces

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-08-06 12:02:09)

topal63
. . .
+533|6726
I fail to see the word "suddenly" used in the question. Maybe everyone else speaks a different sort of "English" than I do.
herrr_smity
+156|6635|space command ur anus
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6765|Argentina
We would hit the floor with the face because of the inertia.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6628|London, England

topal63 wrote:

I fail to see the word "suddenly" used in the question. Maybe everyone else speaks a different sort of "English" than I do.
Yeah. If the Earth slowed down slowly you wouldn't have none of that flying eastwards stuff, and then over a period of time you'd get tidal locking with the sun or something. Read my edit above about tidal locking
topal63
. . .
+533|6726

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Yeah. If the Earth slowed down slowly you wouldn't have none of that flying eastwards stuff, and then over a period of time you'd get tidal locking with the sun or something. Read my edit above about tidal locking
Yep. And, the side facing the moon would have its' tide height fixed due to gravitational attraction (of the moon) as well.

Weather patterns would definitely stagnate - compared to now. Growing seasons go bye bye. Though after a long time the side facing the sun would probably evolve to accommodate the stall - and the dark half would of course, more or less, die.
HollisHurlbut
+51|6005

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Well, what Wiki didn't tell you is that "escape velocity" does not mean the same thing as "orbit."  The International Space Station is in orbit, and it travels considerably slower than 40,000 km/hour.  It takes about 90 minutes for the thing to travel once around Earth.  Fast, but not as fast as you're talking.  Then there's geosynchronous satellites that orbit Earth once a day.  Much, much slower that 40 Mm/hour.  (That's a big 'M' for mega, not a small 'm' for milli...)

Escape velocity is something different.  Escape velocity is the speed required to leave an object's gravity well.  If you wanted to shoot something at the Moon, you could get yourself a gun with a muzzle velocity of 40,321 km/hour and you'd get there, as long as you aimed properly.
Flaming_Maniac

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

Well, what Wiki didn't tell you is that "escape velocity" does not mean the same thing as "orbit."  The International Space Station is in orbit, and it travels considerably slower than 40,000 km/hour.  It takes about 90 minutes for the thing to travel once around Earth.  Fast, but not as fast as you're talking.  Then there's geosynchronous satellites that orbit Earth once a day.  Much, much slower that 40 Mm/hour.  (That's a big 'M' for mega, not a small 'm' for milli...)

Escape velocity is something different.  Escape velocity is the speed required to leave an object's gravity well.  If you wanted to shoot something at the Moon, you could get yourself a gun with a muzzle velocity of 40,321 km/hour and you'd get there, as long as you aimed properly.
I agree with you that escape velocity doesn't need to be attained to reach orbit, but the velocity of an orbiting object is irrelevant because it only has to maintain its orbit. Even to get to where they are, they would have to travel faster than what they are currently doing.
HollisHurlbut
+51|6005

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I agree with you that escape velocity doesn't need to be attained to reach orbit, but the velocity of an orbiting object is irrelevant because it only has to maintain its orbit. Even to get to where they are, they would have to travel faster than what they are currently doing.
Not at all.  If a rocket had the fuel capacity, it could lift a satellite to an orbit that required a velocity of 50 m/s by only accelerating to 50 m/s and holding that thrust until it reached its injection site.  It wouldn't be terribly efficient, but it is absolutely possible.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6563

topal63 wrote:

Mek-Stizzle wrote:

topal63 wrote:

Yep. And, the side facing the moon would have its' tide height fixed due to gravitational attraction (of the moon) as well.

Weather patterns would definitely stagnate - compared to now. Growing seasons go bye bye. Though after a long time the side facing the sun would probably evolve to accommodate the stall - and the dark half would of course, more or less, die.
I'd say the light side would ultimately overheat from radiation absorption into the ground and reradiating back into the atmosphere slowly - assuming it didn't stop with the pacific pointing towards the sun.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

The same thing that is happening with Gliese 581C. I'm pretty sure that planet constantly faces it's sun. It's either that one or 581D.

Edit: It's 581D

Just as the same face of the moon faces the earth, the same face of Gl 581d probably faces its parent star constantly.
http://www.universetoday.com/2007/12/14 … able-zone/
Xbone Stormsurgezz
PureFodder
+225|6293
If it stops instantly then you can expect everything to move very quickly eastwards, everyone dies.

If you end up with one side of the Earth permanently facing the sun, the other side dies due to lack oh photosynthesis, the bit directly facing the sun gets probably too hot for life to exist. The only likely habitable bits are the bits where the sun is in perma evening/morning.

Weather systems will go crazy all over the world as the heating/cooling process that causes most weather will have been massively altered.

You'd find you weight something like 0.5% (I worked this out once but can't remember the exact numbers) more than you did due to the rotation around the Earth that used to be negating a little of your weight no longer does.

According to Superman movies it would make time stop. Don't believe Superman movies.

Last edited by PureFodder (2008-08-06 12:33:18)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

PureFodder wrote:

If it stops instantly then you can expect everything to move very quickly eastwards, everyone dies.
Another good note. The Coriolis effect.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flaming_Maniac

HollisHurlbut wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Not at all.  If a rocket had the fuel capacity, it could lift a satellite to an orbit that required a velocity of 50 m/s by only accelerating to 50 m/s and holding that thrust until it reached its injection site.  It wouldn't be terribly efficient, but it is absolutely possible.
That was not my point and you know it.

Of course it doesn't matter what velocity it takes to get to orbit if there is any acceleration at all at or above 9.81 m/s up. You could go at 1 mph and get up there if you could maintain that acceleration. But escape velocity or velocity necessary to attain orbit assumes no acceleration, as if a bullet was fired out of a gun as you exemplified.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard