ReTox
+100|6495|State of RETOXification
God being a bastard is only because WE deem God to be so through our observations of what is around us.  If there is a God then our perception and understanding of that being would be like trying to draw precise engineering schematics of the Large Hadron Collider, only with our eyes, and through 5 miles of dense fog.

It is utterly pointless to say we know God.  It is ridiculous to say "I know how God wants me to live".  What we can say is that we find peace and meaning in our religious believes whatever they may be.  That is a generalization but I think you will find it holds weight.  For those outside of that generalization I'd ask if your beliefs have made you happy?  If not then maybe you should think about that.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina

ReTox wrote:

God being a bastard is only because WE deem God to be so through our observations of what is around us.  If there is a God then our perception and understanding of that being would be like trying to draw precise engineering schematics of the Large Hadron Collider, only with our eyes, and through 5 miles of dense fog.

It is utterly pointless to say we know God.  It is ridiculous to say "I know how God wants me to live".  What we can say is that we find peace and meaning in our religious believes whatever they may be.  That is a generalization but I think you will find it holds weight.  For those outside of that generalization I'd ask if your beliefs have made you happy?  If not then maybe you should think about that.
Good points, but...  Occam's Razor should reign supreme.  You should only believe in what you have empirical evidence of or in what can logically be inferred to exist (like atoms).  God has no empirical evidence backing up its existence, so religion is a complete shot in the dark.

Granted, your post demonstrates one of the better sides of religion in that it keeps certain people happy.  If certain people need religion, that's their business, but...  I think they're lying to themselves.  It still strikes me as Santa Claus for adults.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6762|UK

ReTox wrote:

Totally agree, im basing my arguement on religious points though. I didn't come up with the idea of religion other people did, clearly not very smart people though as it's pretty easy to discredit the god they claim exists based on the hundreds of contradictions behind it.

Ie the point I made above about god being evil.

Im smart enough to know that no religion is right, to claim your religion is right is to claim to know the mind of god. Something that is completely impossible.
IG-Calibre
comhalta
+226|6738|Tír Eoghan, Tuaisceart Éireann

Vilham wrote:

ReTox wrote:

Totally agree, im basing my arguement on religious points though. I didn't come up with the idea of religion other people did, clearly not very smart people though as it's pretty easy to discredit the god they claim exists based on the hundreds of contradictions behind it.

Im smart enough to know that no religion is right, to claim your religion is right is to claim to know the mind of god. Something that is completely impossible.
but you haven't discredited God at all, only in your own mind you believe you have and that's  your choice (or not depending what you believe )We simply cannot know the mind of God we cannot see everything the way God does.. by using words like "omnipotence" and "infallible", or "omniscience" we believe we "know" what these words mean but we can't.  Lao Tzu say's the Tao that can be described is not the eternal Tao..
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6441|The Land of Scott Walker

Vilham wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

God's knowledge of our choices in our lifetime does not eliminate free will.  His provision of salvation indicates love.  More discussion tomorrow.
Doesnt change the fact that he knows you are going to hell before you are born and thus created man to breed suffering, still makes him an evil bastard.

Btw I totally disagree that God's knowledge does not eliminate free will. You seem to be forgetting god is the ultimate, god is everything. God is omnipotent and omniscient. God dictates what we do merely by knowing.

As turquoise said, if god isnt omnipotent or omniscient he isnt much of a god.
Being all powerful and all knowing does not mean that He must use His power in every situation.  Of course we humans think He should because we think we know better, though we do not have total knowledge and power.  We do not see His purpose in the scope of the full span of time.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina

IG-Calibre wrote:

Vilham wrote:

ReTox wrote:

but you haven't discredited God at all, only in your own mind you believe you have and that's  your choice (or not depending what you believe )We simply cannot know the mind of God we cannot see everything the way God does.. by using words like "omnipotence" and "infallible", or "omniscience" we believe we "know" what these words mean but we can't.  Lao Tzu say's the Tao that can be described is not the eternal Tao..
But the Tao may not even exist in the first place.  Again, Occam's Razor should take precedence.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6762|UK

IG-Calibre wrote:

Vilham wrote:

ReTox wrote:

I haven't actually said I agree with anything ive said, im pointing out that its just one of many ways to discredit the claims religions make. Your point is the entire point I was making. Religion is fallacy because it claims to know god.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6670|Canberra, AUS

Stingray24 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

God's knowledge of our choices in our lifetime does not eliminate free will.  His provision of salvation indicates love.  More discussion tomorrow.
Doesnt change the fact that he knows you are going to hell before you are born and thus created man to breed suffering, still makes him an evil bastard.

Btw I totally disagree that God's knowledge does not eliminate free will. You seem to be forgetting god is the ultimate, god is everything. God is omnipotent and omniscient. God dictates what we do merely by knowing.

Being all powerful and all knowing does not mean that He must use His power in every situation.  Of course we humans think He should because we think we know better, though we do not have total knowledge and power.  We do not see His purpose in the scope of the full span of time.
However, I do not think it is healthy mentally or spiritually to run around with your life as if it's been dictated sometime in the indefinite past. You should make your own plans for your own life.

I mean, it's not as if we're likely to know God's plan anytime soon, right?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6338|California

Spark wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Vilham wrote:

However, I do not think it is healthy mentally or spiritually to run around with your life as if it's been dictated sometime in the indefinite past. You should make your own plans for your own life.

I mean, it's not as if we're likely to know God's plan anytime soon, right?
Exactly. If your god is as forgiving as you say, he will forgive you for using the free will he supposedly gave you. He would forgive you for living the life he gave you to its fullest, not feeding yourself bullshit and being restrained your entire life from actual thinking.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5749|Roma

m3thod wrote:

You refer to god as 'he'.  What makes you think he's a male?
SHe was a bisex.
SHe made adam and eve, if "SHe" was a man he would have made only two girls to see lesbo actions.
If "SHe" was a woman she wound have made only two adams to you know.......

Hallo'd are the Ori.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2008-08-05 11:36:30)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard