lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA
Maybe someone can explain to me why if a westerner goes to a ME country he would be considered a fish out of water because his culture does not blend well in a ME culture, yet it is totally outragous and racist and insulting to say the reverse.

If that western gave up his western culture and adopted an Islamic culture, would we say he is not practicing his western beliefs, if he scorned women or stoned a homosexual? Yet again to say that a Muslim who comes to the west and adopts western ways and for goes his Islamic beliefs and left them behind in the ME, would be considered rediculous and insulting....Gimme a break

Last edited by lowing (2008-07-31 05:05:03)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum

lowing wrote:

Maybe someone can explain to me why if a westerner goes to a ME country he would be considered a fish out of water because his culture does not blend well in a ME culture, yet it is totally outragous and racist and insulting to say the reverse.
You'd only be a fish out of water if you let yourself be.

try to accept their culture, and learn a bit of the language.

Yes, some may not do that over here, but why should that stop us from trying?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

FatherTed wrote:

lowing wrote:

You'd only be a fish out of water if you let yourself be.

try to accept their culture, and learn a bit of the language.

Yes, some may not do that over here, but why should that stop us from trying?
Then if you practice Islamic culture, you are NOT practicing western culture so why is it so wrong to say, if you are a Muslim and you are   practicing western culture then you are not practicing Islamic culture from the ME.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
accepting their culture =/= practicing it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

FatherTed wrote:

Nope, their culture does not hold the same values in society as ours, so t oaccept their culture would be to accept women as inferior, and homosexuality as a crime etc......
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6839|Cologne, Germany

lowing wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

lowing wrote:

really? show me please

lowing wrote:

...I do not fear Islam, I just hate it.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 5#p2217185

clearly, that is not judging people individually, is it ?

come on, lowing, there are only two options here: either you judge people individually, regardless of their race, or religion; or you stereotype, and generalize, and make judgements based on other people's race and/or religion. The latter I would call racism. And yes, I know, Islam "technically" isn't a race, but for lack of a better term, I shall use "racist" in this context. Feel free to provide me with a better term.

As far as the OP is concerned, it's always funny to see someone living in Egypt make comments on how the muslim population is supposed to develop in Europe. Especially if the guy is a muslim scholar, and not a sociologist, or anthropologist...

As others have already pointed out, muslim population in Europe is - statistically speaking - insignificant. Second- and third-generation muslims are largely westernized, and often care more about their playstations, cars, and cable TV, than about religion. They are also largely un-political.
In those regards, they are really not that much different from their fellow citizens of other ethnic or religious backgrounds, btw.

In germany, for example, there isn't even a muslim political party. So even if a majority of muslims were politically active, they would only be able to vote for the democratic, non-muslim parties that we have anyway, which kind of defies the supposed "threat" they pose to our democratic society.
Sorry, I disagree, I am prejudiced against a religion and its teachings, I judge individuals based on appearance, actions and effort. There is a distinct difference.
ah, so it's only the religion, not the people following it ? Come on. There would be no Islam without anyone following its teachings, just as there would be no christianity without christians, and judaism without jews.

How can you make a generalizing, broad statement like "I am prejudiced against a religion [ islam ] and its teachings", and still expect us to believe that this prejudice of yours does not have any effect on your view of individual muslims ?
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6669|UK

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Nope, their culture does not hold the same values in society as ours, so t oaccept their culture would be to accept women as inferior, and homosexuality as a crime etc......
Stop hammer time.  I don't percive women as worthless or homosexuality a crime, so that doesn't hold water.  It's like saying all Christians are war mongers based on a few (demented) people you've proberbly heard of...
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

B.Schuss wrote:

lowing wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

lowing wrote:

really? show me please
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 5#p2217185

clearly, that is not judging people individually, is it ?

come on, lowing, there are only two options here: either you judge people individually, regardless of their race, or religion; or you stereotype, and generalize, and make judgements based on other people's race and/or religion. The latter I would call racism. And yes, I know, Islam "technically" isn't a race, but for lack of a better term, I shall use "racist" in this context. Feel free to provide me with a better term.

As far as the OP is concerned, it's always funny to see someone living in Egypt make comments on how the muslim population is supposed to develop in Europe. Especially if the guy is a muslim scholar, and not a sociologist, or anthropologist...

As others have already pointed out, muslim population in Europe is - statistically speaking - insignificant. Second- and third-generation muslims are largely westernized, and often care more about their playstations, cars, and cable TV, than about religion. They are also largely un-political.
In those regards, they are really not that much different from their fellow citizens of other ethnic or religious backgrounds, btw.

In germany, for example, there isn't even a muslim political party. So even if a majority of muslims were politically active, they would only be able to vote for the democratic, non-muslim parties that we have anyway, which kind of defies the supposed "threat" they pose to our democratic society.
Sorry, I disagree, I am prejudiced against a religion and its teachings, I judge individuals based on appearance, actions and effort. There is a distinct difference.
ah, so it's only the religion, not the people following it ? Come on. There would be no Islam without anyone following its teachings, just as there would be no christianity without christians, and judaism without jews.

How can you make a generalizing, broad statement like "I am prejudiced against a religion [ islam ] and its teachings", and still expect us to believe that this prejudice of yours does not have any effect on your view of individual muslims ?
I am not the thought police nor do I believe in it. You can believe in whatever the hell ya want, I couldn't care less. The second you act on it against me or my beliefs  (basically society) there is a problem.

Islam and its teachings and beliefs are 180 degrees out from the direction western society is moving. No ifs ands or buts about that. Muslims that come here and want to join in helping move our society in that same diraction are welcome, in my mind they have given up their Islam teachings for a percieved better life.

To bring the ME culture ot the west and try and instill it on us or try and practice it amongst us, fore going existing laws and acceptable behavior is NOT blending into our society and I am against it.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Stop hammer time.  I don't percive women as worthless or homosexuality a crime, so that doesn't hold water.  It's like saying all Christians are war mongers based on a few (demented) people you've proberbly heard of...
Where in the teachings of Islam ( and it might)  does it hold women as equals or homosexuality as acceptable? If it does not teach this, then you are not following Islam are you?
m3thod
+2,197|6669|UK

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

Where in the teachings of Islam ( and it might)  does it hold women as equals or homosexuality as acceptable? If it does not teach this, then you are not following Islam are you?
I follow Islam how i see fit and you don't have the right to tell me what i can and can't do based on what you've read on how islam should be followed.  You're a infidel for god sake.

Are you telling me you explicitly follow every law and rule hard and fast? Never jaywalked? Sped? Farted in an enclosed public space? Because it seems its what you want muslims to do.
B.Schuss

lowing wrote:

I am not the thought police nor do I believe in it. You can believe in whatever the hell ya want, I couldn't care less. The second you act on it against me or my beliefs  (basically society) there is a problem.

Islam and its teachings and beliefs are 180 degrees out from the direction western society is moving. No ifs ands or buts about that. Muslims that come here and want to join in helping move our society in that same diraction are welcome, in my mind they have given up their Islam teachings for a percieved better life.

To bring the ME culture ot the west and try and instill it on us or try and practice it amongst us, fore going existing laws and acceptable behavior is NOT blending into our society and I am against it.
believe it or not, lowing, I have yet to meet a single muslim who would try to instill his culture on me, or force his views on religion on me.

Millions of muslims are living peacefully in western nations. who are you to pass judgement on the validity of their faith ?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Stop hammer time.  I don't perceive women as worthless or homosexuality a crime, so that doesn't hold water.  It's like saying all Christians are war mongers based on a few (demented) people you've proberbly heard of...
I follow Islam how i see fit and you don't have the right to tell me what i can and can't do based on what you've read on how islam should be followed.  You're a infidel for god sake.

Are you telling me you explicitly follow every law and rule hard and fast? Never jaywalked? Sped? Farted in an enclosed public space? Because it seems its what you want muslims to do.
If you follow Islam "how you see fit", then you are not following Islam. You are following a religion that you have made up to fit your lifestyle, your agenda, your beliefs, for nothing more than your convenience. You have simply stole SOME ideas from one religion t ofill in the blanks. Call it something else, because Islam is taken.

Funny you should use those examples. Yeah I have jaywalked, sped, and by doing so isn't FOLLOWING the rules now is it? Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited by lowing (2008-07-31 06:51:42)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

B.Schuss wrote:

lowing wrote:

believe it or not, lowing, I have yet to meet a single muslim who would try to instill his culture on me, or force his views on religion on me.

Millions of muslims are living peacefully in western nations. who are you to pass judgement on the validity of their faith ?
I didn't, their faith did, If they are not following it.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

If you follow Islam "how you see fit", then you are not following Islam. You are following a religion that you have made up to fit your lifestyle, your agenda, your beliefs, for nothing more than your convenience. Call it something else, because Islam is taken.

Funny you should use those examples. Yeah I have jaywalked, sped, and by doing so isn't FOLLOWING the rules now is it? Thanks for proving my point.
Sometimes I get the impression you are annoyed that so many Muslims integrate quite well into modern society and aren't running around slaughtering 'infidels'.

Your argument is stupid and pointless, who cares what they want to call their religion? Millions of Americans call themselves Christian and yet support the war on Iraq (turning the other cheek? Thou shalt not kill?), it's exactly the same as your argument about Muslims and yet you don't spend 95% of your time bitching about them.

All you should be concerned about is how well these people who call themselves Muslims integrate into your society, the rest is immaterial as far as you're concerned. Or are you worried they might not get into heaven or something?
JahManRed
wank
+646|6626|IRELAND

lowing wrote:

If you follow Islam "how you see fit", then you are not following Islam. You are following a religion that you have made up to fit your lifestyle, your agenda, your beliefs, for nothing more than your convenience. Call it something else, because Islam is taken.

I know plenty of Christians who don't go to mass regularly, don't have fish on a Friday, have sex before marriage, have kids before marriage, smoke, drink, etc and they still consider themselves Christians.

Method doesn't follow Islam to the word. If he lived in Saudi then he would. Why? Because he and/or his parents have adapted to western culture to the British way of life. He is a British Muslim. Your main gripe with Muslims is that they are going to try and force a change in your country to suit themselves. Surely methods last post proves otherwise. Yet you mock him for it.

Moderate Muslims, like moderate Christians are in the majority and they have taken on our believes and our culture and added it to their own. All constant Muslim bashing does is make more hardliners and less moderates.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

JahManRed wrote:

lowing wrote:

I know plenty of Christians who don't go to mass regularly, don't have fish on a Friday, have sex before marriage, have kids before marriage, smoke, drink, etc and they still consider themselves Christians.

Method doesn't follow Islam to the word. If he lived in Saudi then he would. Why? Because he and/or his parents have adapted to western culture to the British way of life. He is a British Muslim. Your main gripe with Muslims is that they are going to try and force a change in your country to suit themselves. Surely methods last post proves otherwise. Yet you mock him for it.

Moderate Muslims, like moderate Christians are in the majority and they have taken on our believes and our culture and added it to their own. All constant Muslim bashing does is make more hardliners and less moderates.
Lowing only deals in absolutes, he does not like grey areas. For him a Muslim is someone who follows Islam to the letter and wants to slaughter all infidels and seize their territory, anyone who deviates from this does not compute.

I really don't understand lowing these days tbh, he used to gripe continually about Muslims not wanting to integrate but now he complains incessantly about how they ARE integrating and how they are not following Islam to the letter.
B.Schuss

lowing wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

lowing wrote:

I didn't, their faith did, If they are not following it.
of course you did. You explicitly wrote "in my mind they have given up their Islam teachings for a perceived better life."
In other words, you are saying that those muslims who have integrated well into western societies are really not muslims any longer.

And again, who are you to say that ?
As Braddock and Jah have pointed out, millions of catholics do not follow the bible word by word, yet call themselves catholics.
Religion is a very personal matter, and different people interprete/practice/live their faith differently.

The idea that you get to decide whose faith is genuine, and whose isn't , is absurd. I can't recall if you are a religious person, but if you are, would you take that kind of patronizing from a member of a completely different religion ?
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6181|Ireland
Noooooo, now all the hot skinny chicks of the world will be covered in Burkas!

Honestly I think another socialist party, like the Nazis, will come to power in Europe.  Europe is very socialist, just hope it isn't a ratical Islamo Socialist Party that captures the hearts over there.
m3thod
+2,197|6669|UK

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

lowing wrote:

If you follow Islam "how you see fit", then you are not following Islam. You are following a religion that you have made up to fit your lifestyle, your agenda, your beliefs, for nothing more than your convenience. You have simply stole SOME ideas from one religion t ofill in the blanks. Call it something else, because Islam is taken.

If you don't follow the laws of the United States of America then you're not a law abiding American citizen.   That means you should be jailed and throughly punished.  Simple isn't?  You pull me up for not being a true follower of islam as i dont explicity follow every rule and yet vindicate yourself using the same principle. 

So i guess by your defination above i am not a muslim, well gee whatever shall i do?! Again, you dont have the right to tell me what i am.  Maybe if you were a muslim but we have enough nutjobs as it is.  Application: Denied.

Back on point, teachings are one thing lowing, how they are interpreted and followed are quite another.  Only a fool will follow them explicity. Hint; they're usually called extermists and you kinda fit their profile quite nicely.
B.Schuss

Lotta_Drool wrote:

Honestly I think another socialist party, like the Nazis, will come to power in Europe.  Europe is very socialist, just hope it isn't a ratical Islamo Socialist Party that captures the hearts over there.
considering there is not one country in the EU I can think of right now that has a sufficiently large and politically active muslim population to get over the 5% threshold for political party representation, I doubt that.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6288|Éire

B.Schuss wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

considering there is not one country in the EU I can think of right now that has a sufficiently large and politically active muslim population to get over the 5% threshold for political party representation, I doubt that.
It's typical scaremongering projected figures as usual. Affluence will knock that high birth rate down over coming generations and we will all be able to relax again.
B.Schuss

Braddock wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

Lotta_Drool wrote:

It's typical scaremongering projected figures as usual. Affluence will knock that high birth rate down over coming generations and we will all be able to relax again.
actually, I am pretty relaxed already....
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Sometimes I get the impression you are annoyed that so many Muslims integrate quite well into modern society and aren't running around slaughtering 'infidels'.

Your argument is stupid and pointless, who cares what they want to call their religion? Millions of Americans call themselves Christian and yet support the war on Iraq (turning the other cheek? Thou shalt not kill?), it's exactly the same as your argument about Muslims and yet you don't spend 95% of your time bitching about them.

All you should be concerned about is how well these people who call themselves Muslims integrate into your society, the rest is immaterial as far as you're concerned. Or are you worried they might not get into heaven or something?
LMAO............you are correct Braddock, you finally understand my position, congratulations. That is why I can separate Muslims ( or whatever they wanna call themselves) and ISLAM.. Islam has a definite teaching, and it does not blend with western society. Muslims, (or whatever they wanna call themselves) can act and behave in various different ways. Some are intrusive, some are not. THAT is why I judge individuals separately than I do religions.

A religion is what it is, if you do not follow it, then you are not practicing it. PERIOD. Interpretations of teachings of a religion is a convenient way of saying, you do not like something, or something does not fit your agenda, or something is too hard to follow through with, etc, so you INTERPRET it to be something that DOES FIT.  That is not FOLLOWING a religion, that is MAKING UP your own.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6649|USA

JahManRed wrote:

lowing wrote:

well I can not stop them from calling themselves whatever they want can I? That does not change the FACT that they are not FOLLOWING the beliefs of the relgion they say they are FOLLOWING.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6498|so randum
so are you a christian lowing?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard