Poll

If Muslims were the majority in your country you would...

Stay and live a normal life37%37% - 28
Stay but living with fear/prejudice4%4% - 3
GTFO of my country58%58% - 44
Total: 75
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

Roc18 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Yeah and that's why those places are all messed up socially and politically due to civil war, tensions etc. I guess 2 different groups of people cant get along in the same country especially if one is a majority, its that type of thinking that sparks genocide like the type you see in Rawanda for example.
OK then so if Tsechuan province in China decides to up sticks to America tomorrow morning you'll just sit there and twiddle your thumbs?
Immigration isnt invasion man, you are getting those 2 things twisted.
Then the OP is null and void because the only people entitled to live in my country are people born in the EU to EU parents and those that we specifically handpick to enter our country. All others are not welcome and not entitled to stay, ergo the hypothetical situation in the OP is a bit pointless.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6613|London, England
Everyone has their own communities. There are even bound to be Scottish/Cornish/Northern monkeys/Welsh neighbourhoods here in London and shit.

Last edited by Mek-Stizzle (2008-07-31 05:42:06)

AutralianChainsaw
+65|6191
I would stay.. nobody will make me leave my country. But if they tried to change our laws into some kind of islamic law or else, i would pick up a gun.
Roc18
`
+655|5783|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY

CameronPoe wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

OK then so if Tsechuan province in China decides to up sticks to America tomorrow morning you'll just sit there and twiddle your thumbs?
Immigration isnt invasion man, you are getting those 2 things twisted.
Then the OP is null and void because the only people entitled to live in my country are people born in the EU to EU parents and those that we specifically handpick to enter our country. All others are not welcome and not entitled to stay, ergo the hypothetical situation in the OP is a bit pointless.
The OP isnt null and void because the scenario hes describing is saying that Muslims are allowed in the country if they are immigrating there and end up becoming the majority. What you are saying is that Muslims aren't allowed in your country period or else you would resort to genocide to solve the problem, thats ridiculous. In a Globalized world people need to stop hiding under a rock.

Last edited by Roc18 (2008-07-31 05:56:50)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

Roc18 wrote:

The OP isnt null and void because the scenario hes describing is saying that Muslims are allowed in the country if they are immigrating there and end up becoming the majority. What you are saying is that Muslims aren't allowed in your country period or else you would resort to genocide to solve the problem, thats ridiculous. In a Globalized world people need to stop hiding under a rock.
Muslims aren't allowed to settle in my country, nor are Americans, nor are Russians, nor are Africans, nor are Latin Americans, nor are.... unless we select a particular person with a particular skillset to fill a gap we have developed. You are dreaming if you think the world is going to be some borderless utopia where people hold hands and prance in the meadows. Globalisation is primarily concerned with rich countries consolidating their poistion at the top of the tree by implementing massively unfair 'free trade' agreements. Don't kid yourself that it's anything more than that or anything more moral than that. Do you not come from the same country that intends to build a wall along your southern border??
Roc18
`

CameronPoe wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Muslims aren't allowed to settle in my country, nor are Americans, nor are Russians, nor are Africans, nor are Latin Americans, nor are.... unless we select a particular person with a particular skillset to fill a gap we have developed. You are dreaming if you think the world is going to be some borderless utopia where people hold hands and prance in the meadows. Globalisation is primarily concerned with rich countries consolidating their poistion at the top of the tree by implementing massively unfair 'free trade' agreements. Don't kid yourself that it's anything more than that or anything more moral than that. Do you not come from the same country that intends to build a wall along your southern border??
I come from a country that is made up of decendants of immigrants and of immigrants. So is every other country in the world since humans originally emigrated from Africa to other places in the world. Globalization not only does what you said but it also forces different countries to interact with each other through trade and organizations like the UN, EU or NAFTA and that's my point. There will always be tensions when it comes to ethnic and religious groups moving from one place to another in the world where they may not be accepted due to people thinking that their national identity is being threatened or just plain hatred and discrimination towards a group, but you know what? that is the problem. Things arent gonna be the same forever and when change occurs how people deal with it determines how well or how bad things will be.

Last edited by Roc18 (2008-07-31 06:24:00)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

Roc18 wrote:

I come from a country that is made up of decendants of immigrants and of immigrants. So is every other country in the world since humans originally emigrated from Africa to other places in the world. Globalization not only does what you said but it also forces different countries to interact with each other through trade and organizations like the UN, EU or NAFTA and that's my point. There will always be tensions when it comes to ethnic and religious groups moving from one place to another in the world where they may not be accepted due to people thinking that their national identity is being threatened or just plain hatred and discrimination towards a group, but you know what? that is the problem. Things arent gonna be the same forever and when change occurs how people deal with it determines how well or how bad things will be.
"forces different countries to interact" - Personally I'm not big on forcing anyone to do things against their will. I'm glad to see the WTO trade deal talks broke down earlier this week - the poor countries made a stand for a change.

The world is a place with finite resources becoming ever more crowded with billions of human beings. It's all well and good talking about visions of utopia but the fact of the matter is that we live in small pocket of relative peace in the eternity of history. When it comes to the crunch and humans have to decide between 'being nice' and surviving, humans will band together into their little tribes, as humans have done since primeval times, as humans have done all throughout history, and fight their corner or get trampled over.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

lowing wrote:

leave. I am not Muslim, and I do not like Islam and will not be surrounded by it if given a choice.
Did someone force you to go and work in Iraq lowing?

In relation to the OP I would be taking action against my own Government way before such a scenario became a reality; open border immigration is not something I advocate. My country does not owe anyone a living and free inward movement of foreign nationals should not be something that is ever permitted. I have no problem at all with people from other countries who want to move here in order to work and fill a demand in a particular market or industry but they will have to get used to my country's laws and culture while doing so. A mass influx of immigrants as outlined in the OP would be tantamount to plantationism and I would stand up to it, with force if necessary.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

leave. I am not Muslim, and I do not like Islam and will not be surrounded by it if given a choice.

In relation to the OP I would be taking action against my own Government way before such a scenario became a reality; open border immigration is not something I advocate. My country does not owe anyone a living and free inward movement of foreign nationals should not be something that is ever permitted. I have no problem at all with people from other countries who want to move here in order to work and fill a demand in a particular market or industry but they will have to get used to my country's laws and culture while doing so. A mass influx of immigrants as outlined in the OP would be tantamount to plantationism and I would stand up to it, with force if necessary.
Sorry Braddock, I am not in Iraq, I couldn't even honestly say I have been to Iraq. That would imply living and working amongst the people of Iraq in everyday situations. I am on a military base that is located in Iraq.

to have a stop over in JFK enroute to London is hardly saying you have been to New York..this would be an example as to what I am talking about.

So yeah, my post stands
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Sorry Braddock, I am not in Iraq, I couldn't even honestly say I have been to Iraq. That would imply living and working amongst the people of Iraq in everyday situations. I am on a military base that is located in Iraq.

to have a stop over in JFK enroute to London is hardly saying you have been to New York..this would be an example as to what I am talking about.

So yeah, my post stands
So you are in an outpost of US culture, law and customs that is situated in the middle of a conservative Islamic state?

That sounds kind of like a reverse scenario of the kind of thing we are being asked about in the OP...you know, having alien culture we're not comfortable with forcefully landed on our doorstep.
Roc18
`

CameronPoe wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

"forces different countries to interact" - Personally I'm not big on forcing anyone to do things against their will. I'm glad to see the WTO trade deal talks broke down earlier this week - the poor countries made a stand for a change.

The world is a place with finite resources becoming ever more crowded with billions of human beings. It's all well and good talking about visions of utopia but the fact of the matter is that we live in small pocket of relative peace in the eternity of history. When it comes to the crunch and humans have to decide between 'being nice' and surviving, humans will band together into their little tribes, as humans have done since primeval times, as humans have done all throughout history, and fight their corner or get trampled over.
So you are saying that Globalization i.e (trade, investing, transportation, immigration, hegemonic rule etc) doesn't force different countries to have to cooperate with each other? We are all human although i think human nature will continue to create violence because of fear and mistrust of other people, I think its better to cooperate than fight each other. But what we are talking about is immigration not war not invasions and how people feel threatened by that to the point of committing genocide, people have a right to feel threatened by other cultures and voice their opinion about it and stand against it, but the problem comes in where violence starts to occur and human lives are at risk over ethnic tensions (genocide, civil war etc).

Last edited by Roc18 (2008-07-31 06:48:27)

Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6569|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

CameronPoe wrote:

I'd have fetched a gun way in advance of something as ludicrous as that. If my government isn't doing its job then I guess I have to do the job myself.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

If such a thing was to happen naturally over decades and the state remained secular I would have no problems. But then again I would be dead by then.

But if it happens within my life time, (next 40 years) then that can only mean a massive immigration in a short period which is impossible without some kind of global disaster which forces a huge population shift.

Hard question to answer. How about this one.

If there was a nuclear war or massive climate disaster in the middle east and North Africa, rendering Muslim lands uninhabitable would you be happy for your country to open its doors to the millions of Muslim huddled masses or would you let them starve and rot?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Braddock wrote:

lowing wrote:

Braddock wrote:

So yeah, my post stands
So you are in an outpost of US culture, law and customs that is situated in the middle of a conservative Islamic state?

That sounds kind of like a reverse scenario of the kind of thing we are being asked about in the OP...you know, having alien culture we're not comfortable with forcefully landed on our doorstep.
Not really, the base is home to UN troops, not just the US, and you know this has nothing to do with Serge's OP.
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.

JahManRed wrote:

If such a thing was to happen naturally over decades and the state remained secular I would have no problems. But then again I would be dead by then.

But if it happens within my life time, (next 40 years) then that can only mean a massive immigration in a short period which is impossible without some kind of global disaster which forces a huge population shift.

Hard question to answer. How about this one.

If there was a nuclear war or massive climate disaster in the middle east and North Africa, rendering Muslim lands uninhabitable would you be happy for your country to open its doors to the millions of Muslim huddled masses or would you let them starve and rot?
Option 2. Letting them starve and rot is better than letting them all in and everyone starving.

I'd man a wall if that scenario happened.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6548

Roc18 wrote:

So you are saying that Globalization i.e (trade, investing, transportation, immigration, hegemonic rule etc) doesn't force different countries to have to cooperate with each other? We are all human although i think human nature will continue to create violence because of fear and mistrust of other people, I think its better to cooperate than fight each other. But what we are talking about is immigration not war not invasions and how people feel threatened by that to the point of committing genocide, people have a right to feel threatened by other cultures and voice their opinion about it and stand against it, but the problem comes in where violence starts to occur and human lives are at risk over ethnic tensions (genocide, civil war etc).
Immigration is NOT part of globalisation. If it were then the US, the main proponent of globalisation, would be attempting to lift all restrictions on entering or leaving the US: it ain't! The type of globalisation you speak of aims to create a monopolar mono-cultural homogenous world devoid of plurality - it takes no account of individual groups of peoples very real rights NOT to participate in these ventures and to practice their customs in their own space as freely as they please. I'm afraid the communists tryed something similar to what you are suggesting and it failed miserably.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6750|Argentina

CameronPoe wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

Immigration is NOT part of globalisation. If it were then the US, the main proponent of globalisation, would be attempting to lift all restrictions on entering or leaving the US: it ain't! The type of globalisation you speak of aims to create a monopolar mono-cultural homogenous world devoid of plurality - it takes no account of individual groups of peoples very real rights NOT to participate in these ventures and to practice their customs in their own space as freely as they please. I'm afraid the communists tryed something similar to what you are suggesting and it failed miserably.
The US is a mix of people from a lot of places.  Argentina itself is a mix of mostly descendants from Italian and Spanish immigrants.  We have some other minorities, specially from Eastern Europe (my family).
Roc18
`

CameronPoe wrote:

Roc18 wrote:

I didn't say anything mono-cultural monopolar anything or about groups of people not having a right to practice customs. What i'm saying is that people cant live under a rock in a world like the one we live in today and that when people eventually have to deal with other cultures they automatically go into a culture shock and can't deal with having people with different customs living in the same country as them. What you are talking about is when gets to the point where one culture or group becomes like an authoritarian blanket over the other and forces the latter to practice customs that they arent familiar with using violence, thats the problem im talking about where different groups cant live peacefully without feeling hateful or anxious towards each other which causes violence. But what we are talking about is immigration and having a muslim majority in a country who practice their customs and don't infringe on anyone elses rights or customs and people seem to have a problem with that still.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6708

CameronPoe wrote:

I'd have fetched a gun way in advance of something as ludicrous as that. If my government isn't doing its job then I guess I have to do the job myself.
wow... i agree... lol...  as unlikely as it is to happen...
Love is the answer
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6664|UK

jord wrote:

m3thod wrote:

jord wrote:

It would be the opposite of what is it here today. Muslims create their own communities here so they can all live together, I imagine there'd be setting up of British areas where everyone that doesn't want to live goes.
Same with somalians, Jewish, turks, etc etc.

Have you ever been to Golders Green in London?
Not only have I never been, I've never heard of it.

Have you ever heard of Beardwood in Blackburn?
yeah, i heard treebeard hails from there.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6620|IRELAND

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm afraid the communists tried something similar to what you are suggesting and it failed miserably.
Kind of Ironic that as soon as the Soviet red menace collapsed, Bush Sr. almost immediately started formulating the new world order. Which is in effect Communism.
Can't work that one out.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Get into the burkha and prayer mat business.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6833|Cologne, Germany

why not stay ? As long as these immigrants are legal, follow the laws of the land, and integrate, what reason would I have to leave ?
Who says, for example, that Germany must always be a caucasian, christian nation ? Countries and cultures change over time. Usually though, those changes happen slowly, over generations, and are thus beyond the control an individual can exercise in his/her lifetime.

The OP is a bit too hypothetical to answer for my liking anyway. It's like asking someone how he'd feel if he had killed another person.
You just don't know until it happens.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6456|Tyne & Wear, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You're an Infidel, they won't give you their business.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I got a leaflet today for Halal Car insurance.

Explain wtf's the difference meth.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard