neon_flux601
+18|6249|Sidahnee Orstrayleeah
Hey everyone!

Just started playing BF2142 after having it sit on my shelf for 12 months. Seriously. Wake addiction can do that to a person.

Anyway - here's the rundown of events, in extra friendly point form (they're actually just regular points but if I say they're friendly maybe people will come to my rescue

-----------------------------------

- Last week, curiosity killed the cat and I updated to the Windows SP3 Beta.

- Yesterday I had an overwhelming urge to play BF2142 and updated to the 1.40 patch.

- Game crashes after about ten minutes of play. Not a crash to the desktop or a blue screen, just a freezing, halting, sound byte repeating crash. Task Manager to the rescue.

- Program does not respond to swearing or threats! Amazing!

- Did some snooping into crashes on forums not too dissimilar from this one...

- Disabled EAX and tried various combinations of sound settings.

- Game loads to 50% and complete stall. Closing the program still only possible via Task Manager, which reports that the program is 'Not Responding'.

- Found one article claiming that "deleting a file named RADIAL.CDB will fix it!" - No such file exists on my C:\

- Enabled EAX (default audio settings) - Game now loads to the 'Join' screen and crashes there in the same manner as before.

- I need to replace a panel in my door.

- Calmed down, did some more research, found an article entitled "Update for Windows XP (KB924867)" and downloaded the friendly little installer from Microsoft.

HERE'S THE KICKER

- Friendly little installer reports: "Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying - There is no need to install this update".

----------------------------

So, any thoughts?

Is it possible to downgrade to SP2?

Would I really want to do that?

Is there a fix I haven't thought of or heard of?

Can someone give me a hand hanging a new door?
SnyperWiper
+4|6645|Germany
Hi,

you are the gutsiest and bold man I ever heard of :-) WinXP-SP3 BETA (==?!?!= :-)) Rele@syCandidato Uno?? Yeah.
Thats it !°!  yes, you need it @ immidiat.  And you wonder about your problems ? OMG

Sorry, but  dont know what to do. , maybe look for uninstall-routine of SP3. Maybe in c:\win in the latest $$-uninst...-folder (?)
or under ->System->Software, or @ support.microsoft.com,
ie: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en
Read the WhitePaper: <Overview of Windows XP Service Pack 3.pdf> for more Info if you want to know what has happens
to your windows-installtion on C:\ and BF2 :-)

Buy the way)  I think you DEFINETLY CANNOT uninstall this SP3 ! because of too many components.
At First, MAKE a BACKUP or IMAGE of your installation !!

Then try to find out what part/new component of SP3 is doing the trouble, and try to stop it or uninstall it (only if makes sense!)
be carefully.

READ MY TOPIC AT THE following link to stop services, but be aware that this description is for users who just wanted to
make the PC going faster during playing games. I am warning them in the topic for downing important windows services and tasks,
BUT WHAT YOU have to try in addition IS TO STOP this WINDOWS (SP3)-SERVICES maybe to solve the blocking problem.
So use the link, if you want,

OR

install a second  windows-SP2 on a second harddisk (multiboot) und just all important microsoft-updates,
and there install your BF2 and other games. Use this partition for gaming, use the "standard":-) SP3-partition for your work as usual
Maybe if you find out problems later with other softwareon C:/SP3 , you only have to install it on your 2. SP2-partition
Pay attention to datapath-considerations (!)

Or buy a new game-PC with XP-SP2 for that gaming work :-)) You can refer to that hardwareguides in forum )

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE TOPICs: (within the links to StopAllServices.bat)
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=1954446
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=95480

Good Luck, make a backup
SnyperWiper

Last edited by SnyperWiper (2008-03-07 17:28:25)

Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6341
Just wondering, isn´t it possible to delete all updates from the system control (is that what its called in english) / software after you checked the box "Shoe Updates" on top?

Worth a try.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Nappy
Apprentice
+151|6227|NSW, Australia

i have xp sp3 as well, it crashed css and all source orientated games

i uninstalled and reinstalled it fixed it

bf2 is fine
SnyperWiper
+4|6645|Germany
HOW did you uninstall SP3 ??
Arg768
+0|6537|London, UK
radial.cdb is a hidden file in your BF2142 program folder. In Windows Explorer  go to Tools, Folder Options, View and take the tick out of "Hide protected operating system files". Deleting this file seems to cure  problems with the game freezing when loading maps or clicking on join.
martinez
+5|5978|Worcester, MA
so if you r trying to say if that we update the pc it will basically fuck up all the games on it and then doing sum research of how going to fix the damn problem?

basically for me this thing says

"DON'T INSTALL THE UPDATE"

but here is my question:

what happens if you dont do so?
SnyperWiper
+4|6645|Germany

Martinez wrote:

...what happens if you dont do so?....(install updates)
I think if you WANT to install BETA-updates, that is YOUR problem.

Nobody can guarantee anything if using betas, neither BF2/Games nor Microsoft.
Thats the reason why they call it BETA (or later Release-Candidate, same shit)

You have to do a many work to solve problems with betas, because! (like this work here :-)

RS
prototype
+52|6309
reformat, reinstall, DONT reinstall the SP3 beta
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

why is everyone is such a hurry to install beta, rtm's, and rc's?

ontopi: depending on how you installed it the uninstall should be available.

Last edited by jsnipy (2008-03-25 08:52:35)

spuddy1981
+10|6361|england
SP3 Killed my pc. got it sorted with a microsoft patch but SF for BF2 wont work any ideas??

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard