Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?
+98|6299|FIYAH FIYAH FIYAAAAAAH
Decided to make it all one thread, split into parts.

Part 1

Alright, listen to this. It's a FPS/RTS hybrid.
With zombies. Set in Manhattan. If that isn't win enough for you, listen to the rest of this hot shit.

So, you start out with a small group of survivors. You have to go from apartment complex to apartment complex, looking for survivors/weapons. You choose which buildings to loot, like fire stations, police stations, and convenience stores. The entire map is completely open, with even the subways and sewers accessible, so that means you can choose whatever route you want. There is going to be somewhat of a storyline, and maybe it will be objective based, but that's for another time.

Anyway. The encounters with zombies will be completely random, using a script kind of like the Director from L4D. On the harder difficulties, the probability that you encounter zombies and the probability that you find more weapons will become higher and lower, respectively. I think adding limited ammo would be overdoing it. You can choose who to give the weapons to - this is where the attributes come in. Some characters will have the ability to actually handle weapons, while others should stick with melee weapons.

This is all I have at the moment, but hopefully I'll think of an actual storyline.

EDIT: Criticisms and ideas are welcome.

Part Two

Alright, I'm trying to pump this stuff out as fast as I can so I don't lose my train of thought. Part 2 is all about the gameplay.

Let's start with combat. You will start with a small force, so just sending them against a major force won't work. To give your group the edge in combat, you can take control of any of the characters to target specific zombies and places on those zombies - hitting them in the head will play a major role.

Damaged? This is where it gets fun. If it's serious, and one or more of your characters are injured, you can barricade any building you want, then select two or three of your group to find medical supplies. Watch out - you shouldn't leave your injured buddies to die. If you have managed to pick up guns, you can put the characters with ranged weapons in the windows and on the roof to make sure the barricades don't fall. Yes, the barricades are breakable. That's later, right now I'm talking about damage. Let's say it's not serious, just a few scratches. Liquids and rest, my friend. That's right, I just put food and sleep in the game. Just sleep it off, and your health will slowly but surely restore. Food does the same, just quicker. Don't get confused - if your arm has been cut off, chicken noodle soup just doesn't cut it.

Barricades. Not much to say. Different buildings will be better to barricade. I think I would rather hide in a church than a preschool - those big wooden doors and pews look stable. Also, churches might hold First Aid Kits. I would not want to be putting a crib against a door and hope it holds. Breaking barricades is big too. Does that hospital have the lights on? Is it very heavily barricaded? Methinks there just might be survivors and First Aid Kits in there - both very helpful. Also, when you choose to barricade a building, it is completely automatic, so no time wasted trying to get that table in the perfect position.

Time. Yep. You'll have a predetermined amount of time to get in and get out - kind of like Dead Rising. It will be around 96 - 100 hours for Easy, 80 - 90 for Medium, 60-72 for Hard, and for Insane.... Let's just say, every second is precious.

EDIT:Forgot about the driving. Yep, there are vehicles. And yes, there are boats. Cars will be very hard to find, but if you manage to find one, you will be able to cruise around the city quickly. And boats? They are actually a major part in the game, because the final objective is to get to Liberty Island to get evacuated.

Part Three and Four I'll put up tomorrow - They will be Attributes/Leveling up and Main Characters respectively. Part Five will be Plot.

PART TRES

Three is about leveling up and attributes.

Leveling up is simple - experience is gained from fighting, barricading, and applying First Aid Kits. As the characters under your control level up, they become more proficient in all three areas, meaning they do more damage, barricade more efficiently, and can heal more serious injuries. Pretty simple.

Attributes - Here is where it gets tricky. Every time your characters level up, you gain points to put in certain attribute categories. The four I've narrowed it down to are Melee Weapons, Ranged Weapons, Barricading, Healing. Melee Weapons and Ranged Weapons are self-explanatory - you deal more damage and can handle ranged weapons better. Points in barricading means it would take a larger number of zombies a longer time to break the barricade you set up. Points in healing is pretty simple - your characters become more proficient at healing others, meaning a larger portion of health will be restored with each First Aid Kit.

Part 4 is tomorrow - Main Characters and Backgrounds.

Last edited by Undetected_Killer (2008-07-28 20:01:44)

kptk92
u
+972|6422|tc_london
To be the greatest video game ever, it has to have every type of thing in it, i.e strategy, rpg, fps, racing loool
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?

kptk92 wrote:

To be the greatest video game ever, it has to have every type of thing in it, i.e strategy, rpg, fps, racing loool
Did I mention you have a time limit for some parts? How's that for racing.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6379|California
CAN YOU DRIVE BOATS?
if yes, then this game is /win
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5988|England

So an fps version of The Last Stand

cool
i g
Banned
+876|5878|GA

kptk92 wrote:

racing loool
o_0
kptk92
u
+972|6422|tc_london

i g wrote:

kptk92 wrote:

racing loool
o_0
WILL YOU GTFO BEFORE I START PRACTICING TO BEAT YOU
i g
Banned
+876|5878|GA

kptk92 wrote:

i g wrote:

kptk92 wrote:

racing loool
o_0
do it fgt
kptk92
u
+972|6422|tc_london

i g wrote:

kptk92 wrote:

i g wrote:

o_0
do it fgt
cba :<
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6349|Oregon
I totally see where you're going with the idea. It would be tons-o-fun. Every encounter with zombies, you could hit a button (1-9, or something) to select which guy to go into first person with. You could also zoom out and pause the game to set up tactics. Say, in First Person, you notice a few approaching zombies, and recognize that they'll absolutely destroy a couple members of your group if nothing is done. Because you've seen this in First Person, the pause-and-zoom feature would be akin to yelling at them to tell them what to do. You noticed the zombies, so before it's too late, you zoom out and give them the order to turn around, or get close to the rest of the group, or find cover... or lob grenades or something else awesome.

Weapon switching would not be as fast and easy as it is in most games. People would have some sort of weight limit. Maybe one main gun and a pistol and a knife or something. This makes choosing which guy you control more important. It also makes you think more about the RTS element. If everyone could switch to a flamethrower, then switch to an assault rifle, then switch to grenades all at once, you'd have a very non-dynamic combat system. The micromanagement aspect of this game would really set it apart.

Vehicles are a must too. Many cars are aflame, flipped over, or otherwise ruined, but if you can get one started up, driving would be an amazingly fun part of the game. With a good physics engine that actually has you slow down when you hit zombies, it would be very difficult as well, and make for some awesome mission design.

The open environment is key to this game as well. It would be extraordinarily eerie to have a mission that has you going to find more survivors, and all you know is that their emergency broadcast is coming from somewhere to the east. WHERE IN THE EAST THOUGH?!?!?!?!? Scary!

anyway. wonderful idea. I love it.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6704|Tampa Bay Florida
So basically its GTA 4 with zombies?

Theres no way in hell every building would be open for exploration.  That'd be the hugest game ever.  Its freaking MANHATTAN

Last edited by Spearhead (2008-07-27 12:41:10)

cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6303|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Hasn't come out yet, and seems like it won't for a while, but...

Gamespot wrote:

Field Ops is a self-proclaimed RTS Shooter, which combines the RTS and FPS playstyles into a single strategy game.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/fie … lt;title;9
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
san4
The Mas
+311|6702|NYC, a place to live

cowami wrote:

Hasn't come out yet, and seems like it won't for a while, but...

Gamespot wrote:

Field Ops is a self-proclaimed RTS Shooter, which combines the RTS and FPS playstyles into a single strategy game.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/fie … lt;title;9
You know that a FPS + RTS = FRTS, right?
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?

Spearhead wrote:

So basically its GTA 4 with zombies?

Theres no way in hell every building would be open for exploration.  That'd be the hugest game ever.  Its freaking MANHATTAN
Well, I exaggerated a little. Not all of them, but some really cool ones. Imagine fighting zombies in the Empire State Building.

@cowami: Bitch, please. This game would be so much better.
**LiLp-DeFiNeD
Banned
+54|6168|Vancouver, BC, Canada
NO.

ALL OF THEM.

That would be epicing

Or, no, make all the cool buildings come stock, then create downloadable patches with more buildings

Not sure how gameplay would work tho.
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?

**LiLp-DeFiNeD wrote:

NO.

ALL OF THEM.

That would be epicing

Or, no, make all the cool buildings come stock, then create downloadable patches with more buildings

Not sure how gameplay would work tho.
Hmm. What you could do is make each building a section, so when you move into a building, it fades to black, loads, then you can control your characters inside the building instead of having all of the data pre-loaded.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6704|Tampa Bay Florida
Every building could have its own quest/story or whatever inside it.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6585|USA
there's a fucking flash game just like this you thief!
pyscofrawg
AKA Selkies ftw
+55|6419|Earth
You guys are made of win. Srsly.
Signature
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6477|meh-land

Undetected_Killer wrote:

Anyway. The encounters with zombies will be completely random, using a script kind of like the Director from L4D. On the harder difficulties, the probability that you encounter zombies and the probability that you find more weapons will become higher and lower, respectively. I think adding limited ammo would be overdoing it. You can choose who to give the weapons to - this is where the attributes come in. Some characters will have the ability to actually handle weapons, while others should stick with melee weapons.
most people can use weapons, their effectiveness would be low though in most cases, and a few people entirely incapable

completely random?
nah

It would have to have something like a spawn based thing, like a mall, supermarket, ghetto, and apartment/slums, hospitals ESPECIALLY, areas with a high population of humans
the zombies would spawn there, and randomly spread around, but would group of course around their spawns, and places with lots of food (smaller markets, a large house, etc).

If you eliminate all the zombies around a 7/11 it would take time for more to populate the area, but they would of course come back, depending on the remoteness of the area from spawns/dens, other areas where zombies congregate, local activity (shooting will attract more zombies, as will the simple presence of zombies), and how populated the nearby spawns are

weapons and ammunition can be found wherever expected...
although

aren't guns banned in the manhattan area? Or is it just NYC?
if so that could be a problem with those
Undetected_Killer
Le fuck?

Ender2309 wrote:

Fucking what? DELIVER TO ME THIS...
FLASH FAGGOTRY.
Defiance
+438|6685

Blehm98 wrote:

aren't guns banned in the manhattan area? Or is it just NYC?
if so that could be a problem with those
I don't think so. There are permits to go through and what not, but there is no full ban. Besides, that would be unconstitutional.

This would be an awesome game but it would take lots of research and system resources. However, the average gaming PC spec is going up so perhaps a medium system could load a small section of suburb with each house and each room reasonably detailed. The problem comes with apartment buildings, which would be a huge part of the game be it placed in manhattan.

Making the buildings though... it might be better to build one particular neighborhood in reasonable detail and if there isn't already an ideal one put in restaurants, gun shops, markets and gathering places.
elmer_42
Sanford and Son
+22|5915|California

Undetected_Killer wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

Fucking what? DELIVER TO ME THIS...
FLASH FAGGOTRY.
The Last Stand 2
Commie Killer
+192|6401
If you want every building accessible, your gonna need like 8 hard drives just to store the game.
elmer_42
Sanford and Son
+22|5915|California
Or do what they're doing with Spore. Procedural rendering? Is that what it's called?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard