Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6462|Tyne & Wear, England

ELITE-UK wrote:

Tap water where i live is almost perfect IMO, i dont buy bottled water unless im on some sort of trip.
Same.

Here in the UK we have really good tap water, we should drink it more often.  Every other country I've been to bar Germany has water that tastes like shit straight from the tap, so I can understand their plight.  But bottled water is such a waste when you have good quality tap water.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6462|meh-land
Unfortunately, at my house the water faucets can't be carried around.  however, a bottle of water can be carried around
quite advantageous to have a mobile source of aquatic nourishment

i also prefer the taste, perhaps psychological, andi like the fact that it's available in more temperatures than room temperature, pee warm, and whatever the temperature of the ground is
VicktorVauhn
+319|6391|Southern California
I use one of those pitchers.... Mainly because I am to cheep to buy bottled water.

But if you take our tap water, and freeze it when it melts *something* separates out of it and you can see it floating around. It happens whenever I make ice cubes with unfiltered water. Same thing happened when I froze bottles of water that I had refilled.

I doubt its bad for you... but its not just H2O, and some of the bottled water companies have it more filtered then others.
Defiance
+438|6670

If your tap is bad, get a reusable filter pitcher (like vicktor). They work wonders. Where I live the tap is fine; it's nothing to write home about but it's not unhealthy. The only time I drink bottled is perhaps running out of water on a ride or on some sort of trip.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6569|USA

trex1210 wrote:

Bert10099 wrote:

What is so great about it?  I ask you bottled water enthusiasts, how is it better than tap water?

Now, I'm not talking about the convenience of the bottle, and carrying it around.  I'm talking about the water itself.  Some people refuse to drink tap water.

I remember this conversation I had with a co-worker.  She asked if we had any bottled water.  I told her no.  She then told me, "Well, I don't want to drink this toilet water."  What?  Toilet water?  I asked her what she meant.  She said that she didn't want the tap water, since it could have gone to a toilet.  Well, tough shit for you lady, tap water is tap water, whether it goes to your toilet, to your shower, or to your faucet and into your body.  It's still clean, healthy, and is no better or worse than bottled water.

Bottled water is a waste of money, and I always lol when I see some idiot throwing away $50 on tons of gallon jugs of expensive "purified, reverse osmosis cleansed, added minerals for taste" bullshit water.

Tap water FTW.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7933/wateruw3.jpg
As a plumber myself I well tell you 1 good reason why BOTTLED wated is most likely better to drink than TAP water. Tap water come straight from pipes, most likely copper pipes. When a plumber puts the pips together with solder they do 2 things. 1:clean pipe with sand cloth 2:apply and ACID paste called flux. Now you may think so what it well get washed through eventually. HELL NO! flux is very high in acid and it does not leave the pipe! Try this, on the end of the faucet unscrew where the water comes out. There should be a grate type thing block all the shit from going through but it doesnt block everything.
Anyway my point is that tap water has alot of small nasty shit that doesnt get filtered out and bottled water does get filtered with charcol type filter I believe. So if you get a brita water filter or some other brand then just use that for tap water. Thats my reason why I prefer bottled water over tap water.
charcoal filters are pretty ineffective at removing anything thats actually unhealthy. mostly they just pull out stuff that makes the water taste bad. no idea what they do with flux though.

as well, it should be noted that there are no regulatory laws on bottled water in the united states. they could literally dunk a bottle in the toilet to fill it up and it would be legal.
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5928|NY/CT

Roc18 wrote:

I actually think the bottle is an incentive to buy bottled water. And does anyone else take the eco friendly shaped bottles and turn them into rockets by twisting it?
dude we live off that in my school lol
we hear at least 2-3 of them minimum every lunch period
plus on the way back to class
scared the shit out of our 70 something year old teacher lol
Mavik
+22|5775|Germany

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Every other country I've been to bar Germany has water that tastes like shit straight from the tap,
When it comes to water supply, I am quite happy to live in a country where they have strikt regulations for even the littlest things.

Regarding Taste: water can have different amounts of different salts/minerals - water in itself is tasteless.

Last edited by Mavik (2008-07-25 23:58:35)

irishtop
Hopscotch Champion
+11|6161|Houston, Texas
i have many shitloads of crates of bottled water, and bought them for when a hurricane shows up. i think the dumbest thing i have ever seen on a bottle is an experation date and it read : Jan 14 3021. fail.
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6218|Phoenix, AZ
Here in Arizona I dont particularly like the water

I mean with out own systems and little filters and shit its not that bad, but we have some of those office style water jugs and a dispenser and I prefer that...

The way to describe the water in AZ is chalky and sandy, you really taste those desert minerals and the fine dirt, especially on drinking fountains, the water just tastes dusty i guess would be the best way to describe it

But the Brita filter, or fridge filter or the water jug are the way to go in AZ
Mavik
+22|5775|Germany

irishtop wrote:

i have many shitloads of crates of bottled water, and bought them for when a hurricane shows up. i think the dumbest thing i have ever seen on a bottle is an experation date and it read : Jan 14 3021. fail.
There is most likely a law requiring an experation date on every food-like stuff.
It is the same here, but our water will kill you after just 2 years!! ;o)
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada

Sydney wrote:

tastes like shit.
Bingo.
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6233|S.A. Australia
Adelaide has absolutly shocking tasting water, so i just run it through my little filter thingo, tastes better, but i dont really care about the "impurities" in it, just the taste.
Serious Flex
rh27
Not really a Brit
+51|6595|England

irishtop wrote:

Jesus what brand was that?
Both Evian and Volvic have expiration dates that end within 2-3 years, always.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

trex1210 wrote:

Bert10099 wrote:

What is so great about it?  I ask you bottled water enthusiasts, how is it better than tap water?

Now, I'm not talking about the convenience of the bottle, and carrying it around.  I'm talking about the water itself.  Some people refuse to drink tap water.

I remember this conversation I had with a co-worker.  She asked if we had any bottled water.  I told her no.  She then told me, "Well, I don't want to drink this toilet water."  What?  Toilet water?  I asked her what she meant.  She said that she didn't want the tap water, since it could have gone to a toilet.  Well, tough shit for you lady, tap water is tap water, whether it goes to your toilet, to your shower, or to your faucet and into your body.  It's still clean, healthy, and is no better or worse than bottled water.

Bottled water is a waste of money, and I always lol when I see some idiot throwing away $50 on tons of gallon jugs of expensive "purified, reverse osmosis cleansed, added minerals for taste" bullshit water.

Tap water FTW.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7933/wateruw3.jpg
As a plumber myself I well tell you 1 good reason why BOTTLED wated is most likely better to drink than TAP water. Tap water come straight from pipes, most likely copper pipes. When a plumber puts the pips together with solder they do 2 things. 1:clean pipe with sand cloth 2:apply and ACID paste called flux. Now you may think so what it well get washed through eventually. HELL NO! flux is very high in acid and it does not leave the pipe! Try this, on the end of the faucet unscrew where the water comes out. There should be a grate type thing block all the shit from going through but it doesnt block everything.
Anyway my point is that tap water has alot of small nasty shit that doesnt get filtered out and bottled water does get filtered with charcol type filter I believe. So if you get a brita water filter or some other brand then just use that for tap water. Thats my reason why I prefer bottled water over tap water.
Surely the point of the flux is as a cleaning agent and it will react with any oxidised metal in the pipes giving a final product of water and salt - which aren't too bad - and that's for older flux compounds. More modern flux compounds are non-acidic, non-toxic and free of all these nasty things.

There have been numerous studies conducted into the quality of tap water vs. bottled - in general tap water is of an equally high standard and some bottled water is really rubbish - which is why Dasani was banned in the UK.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2008-07-26 06:45:33)

Tripulaci0n
+14|6155
In some places you can't drink tap water.
Sgt.Gene
+215|6762
Tap water here tastes like fucking metal.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6445|Chicago, IL
Nothing beats the dead mobster flavor of Chicago Public Waterworks!

You can buy purifiers for the tap, bottled is a waste of money and plastic (and kinda tastes like plastic too)
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6467
I fill up old bottles with tap-water.

Cheaper and cleaner!*

*My town has like the cleanest tap water ever. srsly, you can drank the water from the source without any filtration and even safely eat the fish that live in the source without needing to cook them.
stryyker
bad touch
+1,682|6719|California

I drink from the ocean tbh. Cleans you out something awful.
i g
Banned
+876|5863|GA

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

Cheaper and cleaner!*

*My town has like the cleanest tap water ever. srsly, you can drank the water from the source without any filtration and even safely eat the fish that live in the source without needing to cook them.
where do you live?
CTD-CaptainBuck
BLEEDING BLUE
+71|6766|Tenn
here in memphis everything is shitty. except the water oddly enough. u can drink water from practically anywhere and it will taste like water should.

trillions of gallons in 3 diff aquifers FTW. and the deeper it goes the water tastes better
CrazeD
+368|6671|Maine
If I lived in the city, you're damn right I'd buy bottled water.

I don't like drinking pool water.
LT.Victim
+1,175|6561|British Columbia, Canada
Water here is some of the best in the world..

I only drink bottled water when I'm on the go..
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6404|NSW, Australia

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

its what I do
Mavik
+22|5775|Germany

rh27 wrote:

irishtop wrote:

Jesus what brand was that?
Both Evian and Volvic have expiration dates that end within 2-3 years, always.
He is from the US, we both live in the EU - so I am not surprised.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard