GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6234|Phoenix, AZ
So I've been smelling smoke recently, like the smell of smoke from a cheap cigar or cigarette... it isn't musky, it has more of a flat smoke smell, not the good smelling smoke, the nasty smell you get on clothes after smoking with them on and not washing it...

But heres the thing, I don't smoke, my dad doesn't smoke, my step mom doesn't smoke, last person here to smoke was my brother and that must have been 11 months ago or so...

The area it smells like it is the "hallway" (i say that because its about 15 feet long and not really a hall) we have tile floors, no wood on the ceiling, and the AC vent is above my door (in the hallway)

I've checked the closet, nothing, bathroom stinks like smoke almost made me sick when I was in there

And the smell is sorta randomish, like I dont smell it right now, but I will tomorrow afternoon...

ANY ideas of what this could be? I can take pics of the area tomorrow if you want, I need to find where the smell is coming from ! >
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6167|what

Does it smell like burning tin? If so, then it would be something electrical.

Why is this in tech?

Last edited by TheAussieReaper (2008-07-25 03:02:50)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6686|UK
poltergeist smoking 'erb.

why is this in tech?

Last edited by m3thod (2008-07-25 02:45:57)

Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6582|NYC / Hamburg

Your dad took up smoking

Why is this in tech?
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6212|Winland

Your ass is on fire.

Why is this in tech?
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6468|The Twilight Zone
Your PC is on fire! lol
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
GodFather
+387|6234|Phoenix, AZ
Fuck, i posted it in tech by accident    thread move to EE plz?

And its not in my computer room, and I can smell it now in the hallway

and yeah it does smell like burning tin...
Like the smell you get if you microwave tin foil for a couple seconds (but not THAT bad)

What sort of electrical would that be? lights or wall socket or?

Last edited by GodFather (2008-07-25 03:49:13)

TheEternalPessimist
Wibble
+412|6635|Mhz

Two possibilities, one; electrical fault in the house wiring and it's starting to heat up a lot, or have you by any chance recently put your home heating on after leaving it off for a while? If so it's just burning off the dust that's settled on the heating elements.

EDIT: Try cutting off the trip switches for parts of the house one by one and see if the smell goes away, it'll help you isolate it if there is a wiring problem.

Last edited by TheEternalPessimist (2008-07-25 03:56:00)

FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6425|'Murka

Might want to have your HVAC checked/cleaned.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
GodFather
+387|6234|Phoenix, AZ

TheEternalPessimist wrote:

Two possibilities, one; electrical fault in the house wiring and it's starting to heat up a lot, or have you by any chance recently put your home heating on after leaving it off for a while? If so it's just burning off the dust that's settled on the heating elements.

EDIT: Try cutting off the trip switches for parts of the house one by one and see if the smell goes away, it'll help you isolate it if there is a wiring problem.
cutting off power to parts of the house would be bad, because its a smell that lingers, we would have to wait hours to see if it goes away...
As far as heat goes, I live in AZ, its going to hit 108F today so no heat
It is summer though, could it be that the massive amounts of AC being used could create this smell?

FEOS wrote:

Might want to have your HVAC checked/cleaned.
That could be... because its by the main vent
[CSE]Anubis
+24|6007
It's a small world, I'm getting that exact same smell in my hall too.  It's because I've put the heating on to dry some clothes and its been off for a month or something like that.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6757|FUCK UBISOFT

Walk outside and check to see if anything is burning out there.

Why isn't this in tech?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Scorpion0x17
can detect anyone's visible post count...
+691|6780|Cambridge (UK)

Miggle wrote:

Why isn't this in tech?
Because it really belongs in Debate and Serious Talk...
GodFather
+387|6234|Phoenix, AZ

Miggle wrote:

Walk outside and check to see if anything is burning out there.

Why isn't this in tech?
Nothing outside burning, otherwise I would have noticed as this smell has been there about 3 days
Mavik
+22|5791|Germany
Hm.. maybe ask a local fire department if one of the guys would care for a beer and to take a nose... ahm, to check that you do not have something going on in your walls or wiring.
Ryan
+1,230|6858|Alberta, Canada

Maybe a gas leak, I'm not sure what type of gas though. You should get it checked out by a professional.

Last edited by Ryan (2008-07-25 07:56:25)

GodFather
+387|6234|Phoenix, AZ

Ryan wrote:

Maybe a gas leak, I'm not sure what type of gas though. You should get it checked out by a professional.
I thought they used the ammonia of shit for gasses so you can REALLY smell it
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6358|tropical regions of london
its your upper lip

Why was this in tech?
Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6755|United States
Your house is on fire, tbh.

Either that, or maybe you have some illegal Cuban immigrants living in your closet.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6380|California
Well you are living in Arizona, hot temperatures = wiring melting??
MGS3_GrayFox
+50|6182
Your brother started smoking again.
CaptainSpaulding71
+119|6372|CA, USA
do you clean your clothes dryer vents?  this is a very common cause of house fires.  you can go to home depot and get a long pipe-cleaner looking brush to clean out the dryer itself and also the dryer vent in the back of the unit and up into the wall.  dryer lint sometimes gets in there and settles and accumulates.  doesn't take much to start a fire there.

also, are there any fires in the area?  outside smells sometimes make their way into the house.  out here in CA we had tons of those wildfires and the smell made its way into my house somewhat.  to mitigate this, i simply don't open the windows at night when it is cooler.

hope it's nothing and your house will be ok.  take care
elmer_42
Sanford and Son
+22|5916|California
Check the dryer. I remember one time when it smelled like that. Turns out a small fire had burned inside the dryer. Definitely get a handyman to look at your dryer.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard