CommieChipmunk
+488|6580|Portland, OR, USA
Okay, fuck.. forget the evil thing.. that was stupid.

I'm saying this:

me wrote:

less people would feel the need to give their lives in war should consciousness end at the end of our lives here.
Yes? No?
Phrozenbot
+632|6625|do not disturb

Secularism has caused more deaths than religion.
topal63
. . .
+533|6728

Phrozenbot wrote:

You are a crack up. :) Thanks for the laugh.

DesertFox- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Religion gives groups of people the idea they are better than the next group, and can therefore treat them as they want.
This is true. Working with the textbook definition of religion (as I covered earlier, atheism is one, albeit unorganized), it is clearly evidenced by nearly everyone in this forum.
LOL... look out atheist heaven or hell here I come... and Atheist church too, I'll be there this Sunday - it's true! Oh and our book of myths, traditions, beliefs, dogma, etc, can be picked up at that very same church - that I'll be at this Sunday.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-07-14 10:39:45)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6694|United States of America

Dilbert_X wrote:

Religion gives groups of people the idea they are better than the next group, and can therefore treat them as they want.
This is true. Working with the textbook definition of religion (as I covered earlier, atheism is one, albeit unorganized), it is clearly evidenced by nearly everyone in this forum.
FallenMorgan
+53|5924|Glendale, CA

DesertFox- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Atheism isn't the reason for the atrocities of Pol Pot or Stalin, it's basically authoritarian communism.

As for what Dilbert said, take the Crusades or the Spanish and Portugese invasions of South America - one group felt that their religion and culture was the right way, and also that the other people in the conflict were inferior and needed to be civilized.  Missionaries in North America thought that the Native Americans did not have souls - their intent was to save them, or whatever.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6478

FallenMorgan wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Atheism isn't the reason for the atrocities of Pol Pot or Stalin, it's basically authoritarian communism.

As for what Dilbert said, take the Crusades or the Spanish and Portuguese invasions of South America - one group felt that their religion and culture was the right way, and also that the other people in the conflict were inferior and needed to be civilized.  Missionaries in North America thought that the Native Americans did not have souls - their intent was to save them, or whatever.
Actually the missionaries were the only ones who cared at all for the Natives. In fact, a Spanish missionary was the one who got slavery banned in the Spanish colonies, even though few settlers listened to the ban and it was poorly enforced.

The first Crusade was the only one that did have real religious intentions, the Turks captured the West Bank region and prevented Christians from pilgrimaging there and oppressed the Christians of the area. The first Crusade was the equivalent of a UN resolution to preform a police action. The succeeding crusades were all fought because the west bank region was of strategic importance and the area had allot of gold, spices and other valuable resources.

As for your first point, while atheism may not have been why those dictators did what they did, the sheer fact that the greatest atrocities of recent times were committed by atheists disproves the point of this thread, which was that all evil can is caused by religion.

Last edited by DoctaStrangelove (2008-07-14 12:37:16)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

DoctaStrangelove wrote:

FallenMorgan wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

As for what Dilbert said, take the Crusades or the Spanish and Portugese invasions of South America - one group felt that their religion and culture was the right way, and also that the other people in the conflict were inferior and needed to be civilized.  Missionaries in North America thought that the Native Americans did not have souls - their intent was to save them, or whatever.
Actually the missionaries were the only ones who cared at all for the Natives. In fact, a Spanish missionary was the one who got slavery banned in the Spanish colonies, even though few settlers listened to the ban and it was poorly enforced.
An interesting point that I would have to disagree with, at least from the perspective of the treatment of Juaneno natives here in SoCal by the Spanish conquerers.  From the following excerpt it's quite obvious that some Missionaries fully believed in the idea of the "White Man's Burden" in regard to civilizing the savages.

Taken from the book Chinigchinich

Missionary Jeronimo Boscana wrote:

The motives which have induced me to write the present history, have been, principally, to fulfill my obligations as Apostolical Missionary; to have before me the means of presenting to these poor Indians an account of the errors entertained by them during their state of heathenism, and to contrast the same with the light they now enjoy as Christians
Emphasis mine.

As to the idea of religious martrydom/heaven/reincarnation influencing the decisions of people, it is hard to say that suicidal tendencies for martrydom would simply go away with the abolishment of religion.  People can be insanely dogmatic, and I find it hard to say that they would not wrap their mind around another thought-construct described as non-religious that could have the same results.

Religion has been an inspiration for progress in science, culture/tradition, human rights, ethics, art, etc.  It has also been an inspiration for death, destruction, war, ignorance, etc.  I don't think religion is inherently bad or good, it just is.  It is the vehicle of religious thought (the person, preachers, leaders) that tend to contribute to the positive or negatives religions can offer.

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2008-07-14 13:12:22)

DesertFox-

FallenMorgan wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'm not saying it was. The idea that religion is the main cause for any of those wars or civilizations being toppled is absurd. Power.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6300|Éire

Phrozenbot wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

More often than not, I'm all for people practicing religion, which I have often made the argument that atheism, while largely unorganized, is a religous belief because religion is rarely used by people as the textbook definition, but more the "I believe in a god" side. If you break up the word "a-theism" you get the root "theism," meaning belief in at least one deity, negated. If one claims to be an atheist, all they are saying is they do not believe in a diety, but there are many more aspects to religion than a deity that are lost in the dumbing-down and simplification of difficult concepts today.
You all need to pull your heads out of your arses to be quite frank. Firstly, you are all talking as if these atheists all got together and exchanged ideas or worked off of the same manifesto or something. Atheism isn't a religion, it isn't anything, it's an absence of something, not a presence. You all seem so wired to the idea of basing your lives around a faith system that you can't seem to comprehend the concept that some people simply just do not; I'm sorry guys but some people put religion on the same level as fairy tales. Do you have a special group for people who don't believe in fairy tales ... does it count as a religion?

Secondly, even if we are to follow your preposterous argument tell me when has atheism itself been used as the reason to slaughter people and wage war in the way that religion has? And I'm talking about atheism as a motivating factor, not an incidental factor, as religion has been BOTH a motivating factor and an incidental factor in many, many wars over the years.

Last edited by Braddock (2008-07-14 13:08:25)

DesertFox-

Braddock wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

More often than not, I'm all for people practicing religion, which I have often made the argument that atheism, while largely unorganized, is a religous belief because religion is rarely used by people as the textbook definition, but more the "I believe in a god" side. If you break up the word "a-theism" you get the root "theism," meaning belief in at least one deity, negated. If one claims to be an atheist, all they are saying is they do not believe in a diety, but there are many more aspects to religion than a deity that are lost in the dumbing-down and simplification of difficult concepts today.
Yeah, it's that important.

Are you daft, though? Read what I wrote, God damn it (ha )! The third time I'm saying this: any argument that religion is the main cause of a violent instance is bullcrap. This is exactly what I am talking about though, how people immediately associate the word "religion" with the name of some deity.

Dictionary.com wrote:

religion-noun-
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. 
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
Most people are using #2. Nearly everyone still has developed their own set of beliefs about the objects in #1. Although people from the same organized religions may share some of the same beliefs (i.e. as in there being or not being a deity), the damn well do not have the same ideas and thus, each person is the sole member of their little religion that has tendencies towards the labels we know as Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and so forth.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2008-07-14 13:16:18)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6300|Éire
FAO: DesertFox

You and I have different definitions for religion I'm afraid. Mine is the Oxford English dictionary definition:

Religion

• noun
1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2 a particular system of faith and worship. 3 a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.

— ORIGIN originally in the sense life under monastic vows: from Latin religio ‘obligation, reverence’.

I neither worship any form of "superhuman controlling power" nor claim to have any kind of "faith". I deal in earthly matters, I deal with what I can perceive, quantify and test as far the limits of human knowledge allow. I have my own way of contemplating the universe and my own set of morals (largely shaped by a combination of what is deemed socially acceptable in Western society and my own philosophical insights) but to say I have a 'religion' is a nonsense in my opinion. The third definition above is the closest to my way of life but even that is wide of the mark, I don't "follow anything with devotion" I simply exist using the social practices I have developed...it's called 'living'.
DesertFox-
The problem I have with that definition is it is far too simplified. Apparently, the OED hasn't acknowledged the change in the word that has taken place over the past century or so. Far more is involved in the whole realm of belief about life and that jazz. A deity is a very small part the gamut, yet seems to be the central tenet of being a religion in quoted context, despite there being numerous religions that do not have one or more.
topal63
. . .
+533|6728

Braddock wrote:

3 a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.
The third is not really a definition of religion but rather a loose definition of a contextual use of the word as a replacement for the concept of devoted to some particular interest or pursuit. To say someone is religiously pursuing something is a loose colloquial way of saying their devoted to what they do. And, that could be anything: art, dance, music, science, gaming, etc... and it would never imply that they were actually religious or a member of any religion or religious pursuit.

And that is what the good old Oxford (OED) is good for... demonstrating the loose shades of meanings words have and have acquired of the years through use of the word. BTW in total agreement, atheism IS NOT A RELIGION, nor is it remotely equatable to one. Someone (or two) have dived into the deep end during winter and forgot to wear a helmet.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-07-14 14:04:03)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6565
Man's propensity for greed is the root of all evil.

Phrozenbot wrote:

Secularism as a concept has not killed more people than religion.
topal63
. . .
+533|6728

CameronPoe wrote:

How about his ability to kill things instead, and often his willingness to do so.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-07-14 14:05:44)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6478

topal63 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

How about his ability to kill things instead, and often his willingness to do so.
Greed give him the willingness.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565

topal63 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

How about his ability to kill things instead.
The driver is the important thing. Animals can kill too but one would hardly call them evil.
DesertFox-

CameronPoe wrote:

topal63 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

The driver is the important thing. Animals can kill too but one would hardly call them evil.
Except for BEARS!

On topic though, I think Serge's old topic might provide some useful reading. It provided a good lol because I remembered RicardoBlanco from his first post and the d-baggery of his.
topal63
. . .
+533|6728

CameronPoe wrote:

topal63 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

I wouldn't really disagree with that, in the very loosest of ways, but I do think if you remove the killing part - you simply end up with a lot of nauseating human bickering as opposed to anything you would call evil.

PS: I completely disagree with the thread starters opinion. The problem with religion is not that it is; that it exists. Rather it's inability to accept new truths and accept the appropriate label "myth." Myth is a word that connotes truth in the parable; the story; and not the literal happenstances in the story. It's the meaning of the story - not that it literally happened (of course that is an IMO). But, there in a nutshell you have it: literal interpretations of religious myths, as opposed to the psychological impact of the meaning - the ideals being conveyed therein; leads to all sorts of superstitious nonsense.

Last edited by topal63 (2008-07-14 14:31:28)

Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6372|Vancouver
Atheism is certainly not a religion.

Firstly, to claim it as a set of beliefs is false when we consider that atheism is a lack of belief, ergo atheists share no beliefs. To the statement, "the universe is, or was brought into being, by an intelligent being", where opinion here seems to believe that if one either accepts or denies the proposition, it is of a religious nature, atheists do not accept the proposition. It is not a collective acceptance, but a lack thereof, and does not have an opinion. Atheism is as much a religion as not collecting stamps is a hobby. Is it accurate to say that a lack of belief is a religion?

I prefer this definition of religion: "A system of cultural beliefs and practices—including moral codes, rituals and devotional observances—concerning the creation, nature and purpose of the universe and the role of a god, gods or other superhuman agencies therein."

Under this definition, atheism is most certainly not a religion. We don't worship, we don't congregate, we don't believe. To a certain extent, atheism can be a lack of religion.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6353|tropical regions of london
poon tang is the root of all evil
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6681|UK
well the slutbag did eat the apple.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
God Save the Queen
Banned
+628|6353|tropical regions of london
heard she swallowed it too
topal63
. . .
+533|6728

God Save the Queen wrote:

heard she swallowed it too
Speaking of swallows.

The eagle is the symbol of freedom, majestic and soaring(!), the dove of peace and of course the swallow is the symbol of true womanly love. Wink-wink nudge-nudge know what I mean?

Last edited by topal63 (2008-07-14 15:30:11)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard