m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK

FEOS wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Look! A priest that even blesses those that just been involved in genocide.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … ebren4.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … ca2007.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/0 … ica105.jpg

Your shit stinks too.
OK. What sect was it, and was it their dogma that drove the genocide? Or was that a secular government's doing?
nah i was just bashing Christians.  It was Serb paramilitaries 'scorpions' that were involved in Srebrenica.

I just found a priest blessing them a few days after slaughteting 8000 people rehensible.
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

m3thod wrote:

FEOS wrote:

m3thod wrote:

Look! A priest that even blesses those that just been involved in genocide.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … ebren4.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … ca2007.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/0 … ica105.jpg

Your shit stinks too.
OK. What sect was it, and was it their dogma that drove the genocide? Or was that a secular government's doing?
nah i was just bashing Christians.  It was Serb paramilitaries 'scorpions' that were involved in Srebrenica.

I just found a priest blessing them a few days after slaughteting 8000 people rehensible.
And it is.

What you did was exactly what I was hoping to prevent by the OP's (and later) explanations. I'm not bashing Islam (maybe Wahhabism), nor did I want this to turn into a Islam/Judaism/Christianity-bashfest. I truly do not know of any sects in either Judaism or Christianity that are even remotely like Wahhabism...and I figured some of the others here may know. Cam pointed out a similar sect in Judaism. That was helpful.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
m3thod
All kiiiiiiiiinds of gainz
+2,197|6641|UK
Anal infected warts on my botty?!! Is that even possible?!

Some novel karma messages on this forum thats for sure...
Blackbelts are just whitebelts who have never quit.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Try these whackos.
http://www.christadelphian.org.au/
'Christadelphians accept the Bible as the inspired word of God. We believe that it provides us with all we need to know to have a real hope in the future.

Are you aware that the Bible teaches:

That Jesus Christ will return to the earth again? (Acts 1:11)
That he will establish God's kingdom when he returns? (Matthew 25:31-32)
That the current world political and social turmoil has been prophesied? (Luke 21:25-28)
That the Middle East will be a centre of conflict at the time Jesus returns? (Zechariah 14:1-4)
That despite the world's troubles there is hope for a more peaceful place? (Isaiah 2:2-4)
That there is a personal hope of eternal life for people who commit themselves to God? (Acts 3:18-21)
That the way we show our commitment is through baptism into Christ? (Galatians 3:27-29)
That God will help you find peace now? (Philippians 4:6-7)'

Extremists don't always divide themselves into neat  little sects however - so I don't think you're going to find them.
There are shades of grey in everything, from the nutballs who think creationism is hard fact and those who think its OK to blow up abortion clinics, they aren't necessarily in neat little sects you can categorise.

GWB is however busy turing the ME into a fireball and using 'Gahd' as his justification so if you want to answer your own question go ask him which sect he's in.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

You just can't let go of the hate, can you?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker

Dilbert_X wrote:

Try these whackos.
http://www.christadelphian.org.au/
'Christadelphians accept the Bible as the inspired word of God. We believe that it provides us with all we need to know to have a real hope in the future.

Are you aware that the Bible teaches:

That Jesus Christ will return to the earth again? (Acts 1:11)
That he will establish God's kingdom when he returns? (Matthew 25:31-32)
That the current world political and social turmoil has been prophesied? (Luke 21:25-28)
That the Middle East will be a centre of conflict at the time Jesus returns? (Zechariah 14:1-4)
That despite the world's troubles there is hope for a more peaceful place? (Isaiah 2:2-4)
That there is a personal hope of eternal life for people who commit themselves to God? (Acts 3:18-21)
That the way we show our commitment is through baptism into Christ? (Galatians 3:27-29)
That God will help you find peace now? (Philippians 4:6-7)'
Wackos?  The teachings listed are about as mainstream as you can get in Christianity, you need a world religions class ...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wackos?  The teachings listed are about as mainstream as you can get in Christianity, you need a world religions class ...
Finally someone got the point.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Dilbert_X wrote:

Finally someone got the point.
TBH if you see anything wrong in those you need

A. As Stingray says, a World Religions class. These views are pretty normal for religious tbh.

B. A more open mind. It's perfectly reasonable to believe that not everything that is real can be sensed normally.

I mean, the fourth one is probably the worst one out of them, but even that isn't too bad. It's not like they're advocating the "liberate the world through the tankbarrel" philosophy or jumping on the "Christ-died-so-we-could-tell-you-how-to-think" bandwagon like some real wackos do.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was a bit tongue in cheek TBH.
Christians are all wackos IMO, its just a question of degree.
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Thanks for your positive contribution to the thread.

/sarcasm
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'll stop hating when Bush stops killing.
Deal?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
stupid jew religions
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

I'll stop hating when Bush stops killing.
Deal?
He would have to start before he could stop. He hasn't killed anyone.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In the same way Hitler never actually killed anyone?
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

Dilbert_X wrote:

Exactly. Double standards much?
Ratzinger
+43|6361|Wollongong, NSW, Australia
So this isn't a "my delusion is better than your delusion" thread? More a "this section of a mainstream religion's delusion is better/worse than another mainstream religion's delusion"?

Here's a special prayer, just for all of you.

"Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know.Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things I decided not to know about. Amen."

But here's the important bit:

"Please, please, protect me from the consequences of the above prayer."

Most of the trouble people get into in life comes 'cos they forget that bit....
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Hitler actually did kill people. He directly authorized the mass murder of millions of Jews. Not warfare...extermination.

If Bush were authorizing "final solutions" for ME peoples, your comparison wouldn't fail. Since he's not, it does.

Hardly the same thing.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Ratzinger wrote:

So this isn't a "my delusion is better than your delusion" thread? More a "this section of a mainstream religion's delusion is better/worse than another mainstream religion's delusion"?
No, it's not.

Read the OP.

And the clarifying posts after it.

This is exactly NOT about mainstream religion (or their respective "mainstream delusions").
― Albert Einstein

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Hitler actually did kill people. He directly authorized the mass murder of millions of Jews. Not warfare...extermination.

If Bush were authorizing "final solutions" for ME peoples, your comparison wouldn't fail. Since he's not, it does.

Hardly the same thing.
So warfare doesn't count as killing even though people get killed? I'm sorry but I'm not buying that one. Bush ordered in the air strikes on Baghdad ergo he has blood on his hands...you can argue about the legitimacy of the war but this aspect can't really be argued.

In my opinion this was George Bush's fault...

https://manyangrygerbils.typepad.com/many_angry_gerbils/images/2007/09/05/ali_abbas_2.jpg

George Bush made a decision that set off a chain of events and caused this, it's cause and effect. I hope George thinks about people like Ali here every now and again before he tries to get at sleep at night.
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Braddock wrote:

Hardly the same thing.
So warfare doesn't count as killing even though people get killed? I'm sorry but I'm not buying that one. Bush ordered in the air strikes on Baghdad ergo he has blood on his hands...you can argue about the legitimacy of the war but this aspect can't really be argued.

In my opinion this was George Bush's fault...

http://manyangrygerbils.typepad.com/man … bbas_2.jpg

George Bush made a decision that set off a chain of events and caused this, it's cause and effect. I hope George thinks about people like Ali here every now and again before he tries to get at sleep at night.
Thanks for the graphic photo.

You have your opinion. Others have differing opinions. It's a wonderful world.

Does blame for Iraq lie with George Bush? Absolutely. But to use your logic, any world leader who ever ordered military troops into combat ever in the history of the world is like Hitler and a killer.

Is that really what you are trying to say, or are you just letting your Bush-hating run the show and abrogating your objectivity?
― Albert Einstein

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

FEOS wrote:

Does blame for Iraq lie with George Bush? Absolutely. But to use your logic, any world leader who ever ordered military troops into combat ever in the history of the world is like Hitler and a killer.

Is that really what you are trying to say, or are you just letting your Bush-hating run the show and abrogating your objectivity?
A killer? Yes...reality is a bitch, deal with it.

Like Hitler? No.

Some acts of war are more justifiable than others e.g. if someone attacked my country and I ordered troops into action I would be a killer in that enemy troops would be killed as a result of my orders but I would find it easier to sleep at night than if I had sent the troops into a war of choice.
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Braddock wrote:

FEOS wrote:

A killer? Yes...reality is a bitch, deal with it.

Like Hitler? No.

Some acts of war are more justifiable than others e.g. if someone attacked my country and I ordered troops into action I would be a killer in that enemy troops would be killed as a result of my orders but I would find it easier to sleep at night than if I had sent the troops into a war of choice.
Ultimately, every war is a war of choice.

If you are going to define killer (with all its negative connotations) in such a manner, then fine. Bush is a killer. And so is every other world leader who has ever sent troops into combat.

Kinda dilutes the meaning a bit, don't you think?
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Bush authorised a crusade intended to deprive people of their lives, their land and their natural resources on the basis of a load of gobbledegook mumbo jumbo - so I'm comfortable with the analogy being apt.
any world leader who ever ordered military troops into combat ever in the history of the world is like Hitler and a killer
Your analogy fails. The Iraq invasion was a war of aggression. The majority of world leaders who have done so have done it on the basis of self defense or defense of allies.
Bush is the aggressor here.
You fail again - many wars are fought in self defense.
You're probably confused as most of the wars fought by the US have been wars of self-interest.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2008-07-14 03:22:55)

Braddock
Agitator
+916|6260|Éire

Dilbert_X wrote:

You fail again - many wars are fought in self defense.
You're probably confused as most of the wars fought by the US have been wars of self-interest.
Exactly, can anyone honestly claim that Poland chose to be at war with Germany? Get real people, fighting a war in self defence is  not the same as choosing to effect a regime change.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6489|Πάϊ
FEOS, if you're looking for Wahabists in Christianity you probably won't find any today, save maybe a handful of insignificant crazy people. As far as actual sects go, I'm sure CP answered your question.

To my mind though, the result is the same, sects or no sects. You cannot ignore what the others are saying about Bush for example. The fact that he uses God so much in his rhetoric is crucial as far as how he and his actions are perceived by the people as righteous etc.

I believe that religion does play the same role in the west as it does in the ME for example. The difference is that in the former there is greater discreetness and therefore accountability is a much more complicated process.

Last edited by oug (2008-07-14 05:22:14)

ƒ³

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard