Fosterthelegend
:)
+97|6607|Kent, UK
Been doing this for a while now.... I load up tf2 or most recently dod:s and without fail when I click on find servers my entire pc crashes, I get the music repeating and I can't move my mouse or do anything. This so far has only occurred in these games, it has not occurred in bf2 or cod4.

I run vista 64 bit

Help me please
kptk92
u
+972|6400|tc_london
Run the games as administrator? I don't know tbh.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
Sounds like a driver issue.

Does the computer automatically restart? Make sure you disable automatic restarts in case of serious computer error (it's a tick box found under the Properties of 'My Computer' somewhere, differs depending on what OS version you use)- so that when the error does occur, you can see the BSOD or error message.

Try the usual culprits: display drivers, sound drivers, plus any background-services that may be running whilst you play the game and conflicting.

If that fails, I'd suggest running a memtest on your RAM overnight.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Fosterthelegend
+97|6607|Kent, UK

Uzique wrote:

Sounds like a driver issue.

Does the computer automatically restart? Make sure you disable automatic restarts in case of serious computer error (it's a tick box found under the Properties of 'My Computer' somewhere, differs depending on what OS version you use)- so that when the error does occur, you can see the BSOD or error message.

Try the usual culprits: display drivers, sound drivers, plus any background-services that may be running whilst you play the game and conflicting.

If that fails, I'd suggest running a memtest on your RAM overnight.
Thing is I dont get bsod or anything... it stays on the game screen....

I think drivers are ok, but the ram thing sounds interesting especially as someone else mentioned that to me.... how I do memtest?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
Memtest is usually a utility you save to a floppy or a CD and then boot from before the computer finishes POST. In other words, before Windows or anything boots up, a memtest runs a rudimentary basic 'stress test' on all the channels of your RAM. Search Google for it, you can find downloadable versions that format to floppies and all sorts of other formats.

If the game does just freeze and lock up, and you are unable to exit with Ctrl+Alt+Del or the like, then it may well be a driver issue causing system crashes. If you have an Nvidia card, it is common for Nvidia drivers to cause problems with Vista 64... I think I read somewhere that almost 30% of Vista crashes are caused by Nvidia alone (I also run Nvidia and Vista, and experience intermittent problems at times). I would firstly advise reinstalling Steam and all of the Steam programs, just to rule out an application error with Steam / the Source engine. Then look into your drivers/firmware/software, and then lastly look at your actual hardware configuration and OS-- it's a good order of priority to approach problems with.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Fosterthelegend
+97|6607|Kent, UK
Well I just installed the latest driver for my card (nvidia) and still does it
may try the mem thing sometime

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard