Poll

Should this be implemented in some form?

Yes, please!49%49% - 31
Eventually, but there are other pressing concerns.22%22% - 14
I don't really care.17%17% - 11
No way, I like the classes the way they are!11%11% - 7
Total: 63
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

ilyandor and Bernadictus brought up a possible class addition to Battlefield 2 in a general discussion thread. Intrigued, I added, omitted and modified a few things to my own liking (making it a more useful kit), and replied.

Scout Kit wrote:

- no armor
- knife
- silenced pistol
- Springfield M1A, no scope, 20-round magazine
- UNLOCK: Springfield SOCOM II, scope, 20 round magazine
- UNLOCK: HK416 (can't make a valid suggestion to EA without mentioning H&K...heh)
- togglable normal/thermal binocs with three levels of zoom (use with right mouse, cancel with left mouse, mode toggle by item selection, zoom level change with the mousewheel) [update (3-1): thermal toggle could be reserved for Special Forces expansion usage]
- laser target designator [helping bomber copilots get a quicker lock and from longer range, and marking the map with a visible target (and in-game target square) for pilots, assault chopper gunners, and tank drivers]; left click to activate, left click again to deactivate. deactivation and switching items cancels all onscreen and onmap information granted by designator.
- convincing deployable and salvageable camo netting (giving them a reason to act as spotters for snipers)
- 1.2x speed
- 1.5x endurance
- no flag capture boosts, as I wouldn't expect scouts to be zipping into an enemy flag zone. that's a job for specops
- and what kit icon could you possibly have other than a pair of binoculars? lol...

Badge Info (added Mar 15) wrote:

Basic Scout Combat
    *  IAR: 10 kills while a Scout

Veteran Scout Combat
    * IAR: 20 kills while a Scout
    * 15h Total time played while Scout

Expert Scout Combat
    * IAR: 40 kills while a Scout
    * 100h Total time played while Scout

Basic Laser Targeting
    *  IAR: 5 Laser Designation points

Veteran Laser Targeting
    * IAR: 10 Laser Designation points
    * 15h Total time played while Scout

Expert Laser Targeting
    * IAR: 25 Laser Designation points
    * 250 global Laser Designation points
    * 100h Total time played while Scout
Any other suggestions or possible unlocks for this kit?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-14 14:37:48)

Y-D-Donut?
Want glazed or chocolate?
+2|6642|Puerto Rico
its an amazing idea
DarkObsidian
+6|6636|Arizona, USA
Looks like a good idea, very organized and professional.
Good work.
However, I'd change the thermal goggles option. That seems a bit excessive. But I guess it fits in with modern warfare.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

DarkObsidian wrote:

However, I'd change the thermal goggles option. That seems a bit excessive. But I guess it fits in with modern warfare.
You're probably right. There aren't many night maps to justify it, but it would be a good extra for Special Forces.
Sgt.MereCat:>
+0|6660
1. a sniper = a scout so why dont you just get them to make another sniper eg the SPRINGFIELD with all them unlocks??
RDMC_old
+0|6736|Almere, Holland

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

ilyandor and Bernadictus brought up a possible class addition to Battlefield 2 in a general discussion thread. Intrigued, I added, omitted and modified a few things to my own liking (making it a more usefull kit), and replied.

Scout Kit wrote:

- no armor
- knife
- silenced pistol
- Springfield M1A, no scope, 20-round magazine
- UNLOCK: Springfield SOCOM II, scope, 20 round magazine
- UNLOCK: HK416 (can't make a valid suggestion to EA without mentioning H&K...heh)
- no-scope semi-auto rifle
- togglable normal/thermal binocs with three levels of zoom (use with right mouse, cancel with left mouse, mode toggle by item selection, zoom level change with the mousewheel) [update (3-1): thermal toggle could be reserved for Special Forces expansion usage]
- laser target designator [helping bomber copilots get a quicker lock and from longer range, and marking the map with a visible target (and in-game target square) for pilots, assault chopper gunners, and tank drivers]; left click to activate, left click again to deactivate. deactivation and switching items cancels all onscreen and onmap information granted by designator.
- convincing deployable and salvageable camo netting (giving them a reason to act as spotters for snipers)
- 1.2x speed
- 1.5x endurance
- no flag capture boosts, as I wouldn't expect scouts to be zipping into an enemy flag zone. that's a job for specops
- and what kit icon could you possibly have other than a pair of binoculars? lol...
Any other suggestions or possible unlocks for this kit?
if u give the guy.. an springfield ( wihch I suppose is a sniperrifle.. else dont mind) wont he be a sniper then?
Operator_Stavros
+3|6737
Sounds like what the sniper class is to be used for except for the gun and binocs, but with a scoped rifle, who needs binocs?  They should really add a semi auto for an unlock to even it out for usmc however.  Laser designator sounds like a great idea, but I doubt most pilots are team player enough to actually go after lased targets like tanks when they can go kill FAVs with 3 kills worth of people inside.  It would be nice to lase targets and then have as a commander assest like a GBU Laser guided bomb fall from the sky from an F117 or something sick like that.

Speed and endurance would be nice, but i wouldn't want to give up the flag capping points for it.
ExitWound
+0|6681
This guy has obviously played TFC
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Hopping to defense here, but...

1. The M1A can qualify as a sniper rifle, but is no M21...particularly if you're using iron sights in favor of a scope. Consider it the engineer's BF1942 rifle to the sniper's BF1942 rifle.
2. Binocs can provide a wider field of view than a scope.
3. I tweaked the class to work as spotters in unison with the rest of the team and, believe it or not, some pilots are team players.
4. I didn't say that scouts couldn't capture flags, I just said that they shouldn't have any boosts in flagcap speed.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-01 13:16:54)

Y-D-Donut?
+2|6642|Puerto Rico
A nice weapon 4 this kit would be the HK MP5SD. Here is the official HK website with the weapon review.

http://www.hkpro.com/mp5sd.htm
Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6761
All very good, but how does this scout get points?
viper313
One Shot, One Kill
+53|6642|Minnesota
How about and anti air kit.   So you dont have to sit it the dang stationary stinger spots.  and no, the anti tank kit is pointless against helo's and planes.  You have no chance of hitting a plane and hitting a helicopter even when its hovering in extremly difficult.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

Talon wrote:

All very good, but how does this scout get points?
By killing people and taking flags. A very similar misuse of the kit's intended role as practiced by medics, though without the bonus of tossing medipaks. If the laser target designator was implemented into the kit, then they would get points for targeted and destroyed vehicle assets. Simple.

This kit is designed, with the speed and endurance bonus, to move quickly through enemy territory and provide intelligence support for their team. And the camo netting won't hurt, making it harder for air assets to spot them. Whether or not people use these traits to their best tactical advantage, or decide to go on a well-deserved M1A killing spree is entirely up to them.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-07 08:21:03)

Y-D-Donut?
+2|6642|Puerto Rico
dude.... in my opinion... the Anti air kit can't be incorporated because there would be no reason to have a chopper. Imagine, u r in a city map, u r in the BH or Attack heli, as soon as u pass over a place with enemies, ur dead, since mostly everyone would be AA because they know there is a chopper in the map.
EvilJebus
+11|6625
I'm sure some people have mentioned this, but scout == sniper. Thats a snipers job, sneak around, find imporant stuff, point it out, kill important people. Snipers are NOT suppost to be in the middle of firefights standing up shooting people who are 20 ft away while under fire. The extra abilities like designating targets would just fit in naturaly for a sniper.

I think the kits are good they way they are, they encompass just about all of the possible types of troops you'll see on the battlefield and now your just looking for tiny differences or just plain making stuff up if you want more kits.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

EvilJebus wrote:

I'm sure some people have mentioned this, but scout == sniper. Thats a snipers job, sneak around, find imporant stuff, point it out, kill important people. Snipers are NOT suppost to be in the middle of firefights standing up shooting people who are 20 ft away while under fire. The extra abilities like designating targets would just fit in naturaly for a sniper.

I think the kits are good they way they are, they encompass just about all of the possible types of troops you'll see on the battlefield and now your just looking for tiny differences or just plain making stuff up if you want more kits.
Sure, I suppose you could implement some of these features into a sniper kit, but haven't you ever heard of spotters? Some snipers don't act alone...

Anyway, if you were to update the sniper with a laser designator, some binocs and a camo net people would complain about its overpowered lameness.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-10 23:50:55)

Y-D-Donut?
+2|6642|Puerto Rico
lols
roymitchel1
+0|6705
thermal goggles arent excessive, my recon team in the 82nd has 9 men and 3 pas-13's assigned to us.  thats 1 thermal for every 3 guys.
Navyseal99
Unintentional Good-Guy
+0|6658
I love the idea, but it sorta seems like a beefed-up sniper. What kind of camo will he wear (Forward Combat Controller would be cool), and maybe an assualt rifle instead of a sniper (AUG-STEYER {Bullpup} or HK33 maybe?)

Last edited by Navyseal99 (2006-03-12 05:13:34)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

The poll suggests that most people who bothered voting are in favor of this being implemented sooner or later, but we can only hope. Unlocks should vary between sem-auto and burst.

As far as camo, it's really up to EA (just in case we're lucky enough to have them stumble across this thread and like it enough to veer away from standard BF kit protocol).
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6714|Purplicious Wisconsin
Here is how I like my scout class nice and fresh

Throwing Knife
Silenced Pistol
M14 with scope(with a crosshair as well as scope)
Smoke Grenades
Binocs
Grappling Hook(for sf)
Frag Grenades
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
twiistaaa
+87|6669|mexico
i dont understand this laser target? every player now can spot a target and it comes up on the minimap. do u mean so they can fire guided missles further away? that would suck. its hard enuf now to be a tank with a heli on ur ass..
PvtchieF73
+15|6710|Netherlands
well laser target the objective, a AT kit could shoot missile in the sky from a safe distance or from hide-out...?
maybe even special rockets for this..?

but the general idea very impressive... why not even more variaty to the game!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

The purpose of laser targeting for this kit would be to mark enemy vehicles and assets with a big target for friendly MBT's and aircraft. By no means do I mean for the scout to be able to call forth a gigantic missile from off the map. I guess BF Modern Combat does that, and this might have confused some people.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-03-15 05:43:26)

R0lyP0ly
+161|6654|USA

viper313 wrote:

How about and anti air kit.   So you dont have to sit it the dang stationary stinger spots.  and no, the anti tank kit is pointless against helo's and planes.  You have no chance of hitting a plane and hitting a helicopter even when its hovering in extremly difficult.
I do believe we have a search function for a reason:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=16173

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard