OnePumpChump
+0|6734|Ohio
I remember someone mentioning this in some post, but I can't seem to find it through the search. Is this actually true and has anyone tried this?
Henkuz
Repairs on request
+28|6849|Alkmaar, the Netherlands
Do you mean renaming the shortcut on your desktop, that worked fine for me, no more intro movies
Change target to: BF2\BF2.exe +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +restart 1
OnePumpChump
+0|6734|Ohio
So, doesn't this fuck up something with x-fire?
d3x74
+14|6691|NY

OnePumpChump wrote:

So, doesn't this fuck up something with x-fire?
You can fix it by editing the config file for x-fire.

Have not seen any performance gains renaming the executable.
Tennouheika
+0|6681
I just deleted all the movie files from the BF2 folder and that works for me.
CrazeD
+368|6718|Maine
I got kicked by punkbuster for that once.. so I don't recommend it.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6716
Yea I read that too.  Just doesn't sound like a good idea.
Tennouheika
+0|6681
Meh, PC Gamer Magazine recommended it and I did it a month ago and have had no problems.
Well, except that I need to take the CD out and put it back in again for it to play, but that could be anything. :S
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6816|Atlanta, GA USA
I have had my movie files deleted since very shortly after I got the game (which I got when it came out) and have never had a problem.  Seems like a good fix to me.
THA
im a fucking .....well not now
+609|6815|AUS, Canberra
i think he is talking about renaming the shortcut and the exe file to somthing other than battlfield2. apparently this gives you more fps as it stops your drivers switching to a bf2 profile or somne shit like that.the only way it will make a difference i can see is when you have nvidia drivers and you have a game profile selected. iv tried this with three graphics cards both nvidia and ati and it never made one bit of difference.

Last edited by the_heart_attack (2006-02-28 16:26:50)

xaven
+25|6778|Berlin
well, ATI & nVidia implemented some "optimizations" for the game in their latest drivers. in some cases renaming the bf2.exe can disable those optimizations, which can sometimes have a negative performance effect. I tried this but didnt notice any changes in my performance (fps / loading times whatsoever).

Last edited by xaven (2006-02-28 16:28:25)

belikeron
+-1|6678
I didnt delete the movies but I just added some random junk to the extention names so instead of .bin its .binrawr and I havent had any problems.

I also have the problem of having to put the cd in and out each time I want to load the game, if I use my short cut off of my Objectdock bar it crashes, no clue why and doesnt make much since.

Before you ask, Objectdock is http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/ and its <3 Mix that with desktopx and yummy a super clean desktop with only the icons you want on it.
-=|BW|=-Hollow_Moon
+5|6800
I renamed my exe & the game runs much smoother frame rate wise
Mabec
Re-Member-Me
+6|6877
CSFS56
+1|6686
I think this is where you'll find it. http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html  I did the recommended tweaks and it worked ok but when I installed the new patch (1.2) I had to reinstall the game. No big deal. I haven't done the tweaks since I reinstalled and got the new patch, just got rid of the intro movie files. Not sure it improved performance all that much.
(T)eflon(S)hadow
R.I.P. Neda
+456|6874|Grapevine, TX

CrazeD wrote:

I got kicked by punkbuster for that once.. so I don't recommend it.
LOL: Hack3r Punkbuster looks in your config files, not INTRO MOVIES! That is a myth, that this tweak will get you busted!

xaven wrote:

well, ATI & nVidia implemented some "optimizations" for the game in their latest drivers. in some cases renaming the bf2.exe can disable those optimizations, which can sometimes have a negative performance effect. I tried this but didnt notice any changes in my performance (fps / loading times whatsoever).
Exactly right!

I changed my .exe to BFII.exe, and on most days my ping is 9.  I don't have any good answer why that is, it just is.  Also I deleted my intro movies and replaced them with a notepad file, and renamed them Intro.bik, Legal.bik, etc. (I moved all original file to a file named Original Movies in main file) The only thing that does, is initial load time; I go directly to log-in screen after I click my desktop shortcut (BFII.exe), hit enter with a saved password and I'm looking at BFHQ in 15 seconds. Saves me from seeing the big EA/DICE advertisement every time:)

Last edited by (T)eflon(S)hadow (2006-02-28 20:26:03)

OnePumpChump
+0|6734|Ohio

Mabec wrote:

http://bf2lag.com
Awesome post, very very helpful! Thanks.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard