.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6457|The Twilight Zone
Mac users beware: a dastardly duo of Trojans is seeking to suck secrets from your computers, and both have been spotted in the wild. With a little help from an incautious user both Trojans are capable of getting around the Mac's defences and executing code with administrator or root privileges.
Source
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Stimey
­
+786|6124|Ontario | Canada
But Macs never get viruses Durrrrrrrrrrr
­
­
­
­
­
­
pndragon26
+23|6690
"With a little help from an incautious user" you have to download it AND then install it though... actually give it permission to install. Is that how you windows people get viruses? You download a program you do not know AND give it rights to install? That is beyond stupid! I don't see how anyone with even a basic clue of computers would do something like that.
Sure macs get viruses, but these examples are like loading bad software.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6443|King Of The Islands

pndragon26 wrote:

"With a little help from an incautious user" you have to download it AND then install it though... actually give it permission to install. Is that how you windows people get viruses? You download a program you do not know AND give it rights to install? That is beyond stupid! I don't see how anyone with even a basic clue of computers would do something like that.
Some spyware have EULAs.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6467|cuntshitlake

pndragon26 wrote:

Wow. You are calling windows users stupid as a whole? Elitism anyone?
main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
.Sup
be nice

DeathUnlimited wrote:

pndragon26 wrote:

I don't think he meant anything bad, he just didn't put it in a well understandable way. He's saying that you get a virus on a Mac if you are not careful, same on Windows.

Last edited by .Sup (2008-06-25 06:24:19)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6775|PNW

.Sup wrote:

DeathUnlimited wrote:

pndragon26 wrote:

I don't think he meant anything bad, he just didn't put it in a well understandable way. He's saying that you get a virus on a Mac if you are not careful, same on Windows.
Actually, he's under the Machead delusion that all Windows PC's are shipped with 500 viruses.

I know that's exaggerating a bit, but with some preventative measures, Windows can be just as free as OSX...
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6201|Winland

pndragon26 wrote:

I don't see how anyone with even a basic clue of computers would buy a Mac
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice

Freezer7Pro wrote:

pndragon26 wrote:

Why not? If you don't play games and have enough money, I don't see a reason why not buy it.
Defiance
+438|6675

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

pndragon26 wrote:

Why not? If you don't play games and have enough money, I don't see a reason why not buy it.
Support, community, open end, and generally avoiding Apple bullshit is good.

One argument I hear come up again and again is that Macs are easier to use. All that means is that you are restricted by the computer to do certain things, forced down a certain path with no flexibility. I like to be able to run around the woods a bit without being shoved back in to the plain old trail every time I try and do something fun.

The Apple bullshit is the blissful ignorance smothered around by the marketing department, and the marketing department alone. I saw, what I think I'll never see again, was a OSX vs Linux debate. On the Linux side, everything good about computers. On the OSX side, "OSX can play games, all you need is bootcamp." Bootcamp is, again, more marketing shit from Apple that says systems with NT or Grub mean nothing and we are all superior with technology that's been around forever, and we only admit we need it when we can call it something else and use it as a selling point.

These are the same people that spend hundreds a year on Starbucks. These are the same people that ignore practicality and seek only the image. So take games out of the argument, and while the performance argument will always be there, you're just buying a bad product from a bad company.

[topic]

Yeah, but you know Apple won't do anything about it because if they admit there are viruses on their systems then they lose one of the few pseudo-benefits their systems have.

Last edited by Defiance (2008-06-28 12:37:53)

steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6385|the land of bourbon
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
aimless
+166|6129|Texas

steelie34 wrote:

All their commercials are like this, it's so dumb.
DUnlimited
got any popo lolo intersting?
+1,160|6467|cuntshitlake

Defiance wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Support, community, open end, and generally avoiding Apple bullshit is good.

One argument I hear come up again and again is that Macs are easier to use. All that means is that you are restricted by the computer to do certain things, forced down a certain path with no flexibility. I like to be able to run around the woods a bit without being shoved back in to the plain old trail everything I try and do something fun.

The Apple bullshit is the blissful ignorance smothered around by the marketing department, and the marketing department alone. I saw, what I think I'll never see again, was a OSX vs Linux debate. On the Linux side, everything good about computers. On the OSX side, "OSX can play games, all you need is bootcamp." Bootcamp is, again, more marketing shit from Apple that says systems with NT or Grub mean nothing and we are all superior with technology that's been around forever, and we only admit we need it when we can call it something else and use it as a selling point.

These are the same people that spend hundreds a year on Starbucks. These are the same people that ignore practicality and seek only the image. So take games out of the argument, and while the performance argument will always be there, you're just buying a bad product from a bad company.

[topic]

Yeah, but you know Apple won't do anything about it because if they admit there are viruses on their systems then they lose one of the few pseudo-benefits their systems have.
I try to stay out of anti-apple fights, since I am very much against that company.

However with that post you just.. well.. typed everything like straight out of my head, I can't but quote for agreement.

Last edited by DeathUnlimited (2008-06-26 07:46:01)

main battle tank karthus medikopter 117 megamegapowershot gg
pndragon26
+23|6690
I have both - a mac and a PC- and prefer the mac for artwork, grew up on them and prefer them. The layout as well as the software just works, for me, I do like windows, just do not use my system for much other than gaming. And yes, .SUP is right, I did not mean to imply all windows users were stupid. However on mac, linux or windows downloading a program (or whatever) you do not know anything about and installing let alone putting in your administration password TO install something you know nothing about is.... well stupid.

I don't like the apple/pc fights either. You use what works. I make my living off my mac never lets me down, seriously in 6 years nothing but a scanner issue. I don't know computers, and do not want to learn them. Just want to do my artwork and collect my check. For games I use my PC. The thread started with a "But Macs never get viruses Durrrrrrrrrrr", so I threw in the obvious. If your dumb enough to download and install the way the "source" says - on any machine- you deserve the virus. And as of yet, I have not gotten any viruses, on mac or PC.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5935|Somewhere out in Space

pndragon26 wrote:

The only reason this information was released is because mac users are the only ones stupid enough to do install viruses on their computers.  Must have something to do with the "But Macs never get viruses Durrrrrrrrrrr" idealogy that mac users share.
pndragon26
+23|6690
OHHHH okay, so we are stupid enough to do that. Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clearing that up sparky.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6585|SE London

The security on Macs is worse than under Windows in most respects. They rely on security through obscurity, which is fucking stupid if you ask me.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6497|N. Ireland

Bertster7 wrote:

The security on Macs is worse than under Windows in most respects. They rely on security through obscurity, which is fucking stupid if you ask me.
Out of curiosity - if you hate the whole system of macs so much why are you working for their tech support?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6585|SE London

kylef wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Out of curiosity - if you hate the whole system of macs so much why are you working for their tech support?
I don't hate everything about Macs. Just most things.

I'm diversifying my skill set. There are lots of good things to be said for cross-platform support jobs.

The guys at Apple all readily admit that they have little security when it comes to malware, but that it doesn't matter because no one makes viruses that target Macs. I remember getting told that during a training session there.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard